Why have LVE & Jaylon regressed so much?

Jimbo123

Reaction score
Jaylon played as soft a game as I’ve seen from a LB in quite some time. He was so easy to block today. From what I noticed, if the drive went more than 3-4 plays, he got winded and opted out of a lot of the run fits. Dude just allowed himself to get blocked out of the play on multiple occasions.

He deserved to get benched.

You can't bench the forth highest paid linebacker.

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
Unless this team figures out how to defend the screen, teams are going to run that all day against them down the stretch. None of the LB's played the screen well. Jaylon over ran a couple of them, Lee whiffed on a couple of tackles and I'm not sure where LVE was on them. Really bad.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Those two were causes for hope in 2018.

Looked like we were set for 5-7 years with two of the best LBers in the league, and now, blah. Missed tackles, lack of physicality, and just a general state of looking lost on the field.

Can anyone think of the reason why both have regressed so much?

Sure, they both have moments where they create plays; but for the most part, 2019 has been a massive disappointment for #55 and #54.

I’m concerned and wondering if you guys might have a clue why.
I don't know that they have. I think teams have just figured out that running at them up the middle is more successful than running wide where they can chase down the plays. Jaylon and LVE are much better at that.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Jaylon played as soft a game as I’ve seen from a LB in quite some time. He was so easy to block today. From what I noticed, if the drive went more than 3-4 plays, he got winded and opted out of a lot of the run fits. Dude just allowed himself to get blocked out of the play on multiple occasions. He deserved to get benched.

Yesterday was horrid but this not something new with Jaylon. He is not physical at the point of attack; he gets moved and washed without much resistance.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
The problem is the DTs. There's only so much a LB can do when the DTs get completely blown off the line on every play.

Separate issues. The way our LBs handle their gap responsibilities and just straight up tackling issues have nothing to do with DTs.

Sydla

Reaction score
It's just bizarre that our LB play has fallen off a cliff............. and not just one guy, all three of the starting LBs look mostly like poop.

robbieruff

Reaction score
Those two were causes for hope in 2018.

Looked like we were set for 5-7 years with two of the best LBers in the league, and now, blah. Missed tackles, lack of physicality, and just a general state of looking lost on the field.

Can anyone think of the reason why both have regressed so much?

Sure, they both have moments where they create plays; but for the most part, 2019 has been a massive disappointment for #55 and #54.

I’m concerned and wondering if you guys might have a clue why.
I said throughout the game that they both look hurt. Jaylon ran gingerly as if he had some sort of leg issue and JVE just appears to be hurting everywhere.

lonestar2288

Reaction score
The 2 biggest praises given to the main 3 LBs has been sideline-to-sideline speed and sure tackling. Injuries, and age with Lee, has limited the speed, but more concerning it LOOKS like they've forgotten how to tackle. A LOT of that is scheme. Perpetually out of position, OL getting to them much to soon, etc. We've seen the talent flashed in all 3 cases. Lee my have age against him, but the other 2 or way to young and athletic for this to be "games passed them by" thing. I believe there are tweaks to turn this around. Whether they're ever implemented is a different story

quickccc

Reaction score
I get what you’re saying, but LVE and Jaylon were the aggressors in 2018. They both flew around the field and seemed so sure of themselves, especially later in the year. LVE was an absolute monster who blew up a ton of plays and was a strong tackler

- I still wonder if LVE and his neck issues are still a concern and limited more this year as compared to him. he isn't near the Wolf Hunter he was in his rookie year.
He isn't blowing plays up at the line as he was in '18. not the impact in pass lane and coverage, forced fumbles, etc.
Maybe it's still the lingering the vertigo issues, and so forth, but I don't think he's physically right, and the fundamentals have fallen off.

- Jaylon has to be schemed, imo, as he's not naturally instinctive and limited laterally. he works best moving forwards,
maybe the read key's have to be made more simpler for him and he's been used more as a up the middle blitzer than dropping in coverage.

- Lee simply had a setback from his NYG game, as he had a poor tackling game and he was exposed in coverage vs Vikes.
Even he could not impact the Vikes effective screen game as our front seven continue to struggle vs RB screens.

But I do continue to believe that if we had the brute strength tough DTs cloggers that Minny does, that could hide some flaws of the LBs to an extent vs traffic and
getting stuck to blockers although I do not like that our LBs get fooled by mis-direction and get worn out by no huddle offenses.

Zordon

Reaction score
Almost every player in every league does it now @Zordon .

It's not the old nfl where teams legit hated one another.

Couple things I've noticed is that certain teams take advantage of how aggressive our DLine plays. The line will let the edge or dt in cause that side isn't the run lane but now that Olineman is getting a good headstart at a linebacker. Cowboys don't really have that physical, can blow up blocks lb.
More finesse type of guys that have athletics to make a play.

That being said all 3 missed tackles. Lee whiffed early on vs cook in open space. But he shutdown Barkley last week. Very Jekyll and hyde performance this yea .
Yeah I know that but everybody doesn't post it on social media immediately following the loss. Either post it on Monday/Tuesday or don't post it at all. That was a huge loss for this season and he's posting that crap within an hour of the game ending? Like I said, he's getting obliterated in the comments. All that Wolfpack/Clear Eye View stuff has gotten both of them big heads.

John813

Reaction score
Yeah I know that but everybody doesn't post it on social media immediately following the loss. Either post it on Monday/Tuesday or don't post it at all. That was a huge loss for this season and he's posting that crap within an hour of the game ending? Like I said, he's getting obliterated in the comments. All that Wolfpack/Clear Eye View stuff has gotten both of them big heads.

I get what you're getting at now.

Yea, probably could of waited, especially since this loss hurt the playoff chances quite a bit.