Why I believe the Cowboys will win the East

MikeB80

Reaction score
LOL that some fans hoping they lose a regular season game to get a 10 year proven failure fired is even remotely similar to hoping we miss out on the opportunity to win a SB to “get back” at a new HC of the Cowboys

your statement was totally asinine

:facepalm::facepalm:

actually the original poster never said Dallas won the super bowl in his first imaginary situation. He said looks like they are super bowl bound which I took as in the playoffs.

so there is a big difference and you didn’t read the original post.

and again you are doing what was said here for years....”I hope we are terrible so garrett gets fired, I remember people being mad in 14 and 16 because it meant that Garrett wouldn’t be leaving.

so maybe see if you can differentiate the two, one was real and happened the other is a made up situation about making the playoffs.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Keep the defense off the field? Are you kidding that defense this year will swallow offences. Our pass rush will be ferocious. The LB’s are studs, and we have ball hawks in the secondary. Gone are the days of giving receiver 15 yard cushion and calling video vanilla plays over and over on D.
Red zone efficiency and time of possession increase was my point as opposed to trashing the defense.

I appreciate your optimism, and I share it to a degree...

But you dont control the game on defense, and today's rules are set to where scoring is promoted.

Teams that can control the clock, keeping their pass rushers fresh while those on the other team are exhausted, have a clear advantage.

I'm with you on improvement defensively, but if you think that unit will suddenly be dominant and a top defense in the league, you're setting yourself up for serious disappointment.

This team goes as far as the offense takes us...for 2020 at least.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Because the rest of the East is garbage and Dallas is completely loaded on offense, outside their mediocre QB with the rest of the currently mediocre QBs in the NFC East, who would look a lot better in this Cowboys offense than our mediocre QB?

Nothing wrong with that. When our QB looks better, the Cowboys look better. I'll take as much of that as I can get.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
This is why I’m so excited about Mikey as our HC. We won’t have our coaching as a scapegoat . We actually will be able to hold our talent directly accountable now.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Not many teams play for championships without an Elite QB and or defense.

But many believe Dak is Elite and this defense will be. And we now have a proven SB caliber HC we can’t blame our lack of success on.

We will finally found out if we’ve over hyped our talent.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Red zone efficiency and time of possession increase was my point as opposed to trashing the defense.

I appreciate your optimism, and I share it to a degree...

But you dont control the game on defense, and today's rules are set to where scoring is promoted.

Teams that can control the clock, keeping their pass rushers fresh while those on the other team are exhausted, have a clear advantage.

I'm with you on improvement defensively, but if you think that unit will suddenly be dominant and a top defense in the league, you're setting yourself up for serious disappointment.

This team goes as far as the offense takes us...for 2020 at least.

Gotta play both sides of the ball. The defense has to get you the ball, and the offense has to keep it

MikeB80

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with that. When our QB looks better, the Cowboys look better. I'll take as much of that as I can get.

they just need to get in the end zone more. Im not the biggest Dak fan but I am not an idiot either and one of the main jobs of the qb and the sign of a good offense is how good they are on 3rd down and this offense was great on 3rd down last year

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Exactly. McCarthy had watched his talent erode on both sides of the ball for years. Thompson, their GM, simply would not go out and get any significant free agent to help, which is okay if you’re knocking the draft out of the park, but his drafting was putrid for the last few years of his tenure. Terrible team building.

Like you mentioned, their defense was among the most talent poor units in the league. They had gotten old and lacked talent everywhere on that side of the ball. Aaron simply couldn’t outscore the other team.

And I’m not leaving the offense out of the picture either. They lacked talent everywhere.

But we also shouldn’t forget that Green Bay was also the luckies team in football last year. I heard on Fox Sports Radio a few days ago (I think it was Bucky Brooks) predicting a fall in the rankings for the Pack because they won so many games when they shouldn’t have. I think he said that GB was out scored on the season by over 100 points and won several games that were decided by 3 points or less. There were other stats showing that they should’ve lost more games than they did but I honestly can’t remember them.

McCarthy’s record in his last couple of seasons in GB had a lot to do with needing help everywhere.

But I’m not saying they messed up by firing MM... I do think it was time for him to go and to bring in new coaches there. After what, 13 years as the head coach, things had gotten stale there for Mike. I don’t think the team was listening to him like they once did. The rest of the NFC North had caught up to his schemes and, once the team started to sense that his time in GB was short, he started to lose the team.

It didn’t help that his QB was undermining his play calling in front of the rest of the team.

Anyway, no, I do not expect GB to win as many games this year. I don’t think they’ll be nearly as lucky with the way the ball bounces.

Great post right there.
:thumbup:

Buzzbait

Reaction score
they just need to get in the end zone more. Im not the biggest Dak fan but I am not an idiot either and one of the main jobs of the qb and the sign of a good offense is how good they are on 3rd down and this offense was great on 3rd down last year

Agreed. We definitely need to improve in the red zone.

JBond

Reaction score
Let's start with the Curse of the Repeat. No team has won it back to back in 16 years and 16 years is a long time, especially if you just got your driver's license.

Let's add that the last 3 coaching changes resulted in the playoffs in that new HC's first year.

But that's not why they will win the East. This is all about redemption.

Whether you buy into the Cowboys were the most talented team or not, and I do not, I do believe they were the most underachieving team based on their talent. They may have liked their HC but not enough to redeem him. He was not the kind of guy that invited that from players.

Last year's players have been conveniently given the excuse that it was the coaching staff but in order to prove that correct, they must achieve this season. They perform and all fingers continue to point at the coaching staff. They don't and the ?'s turn toward them.

Couple this with they have THE HC in the NFL is need of redemption after getting fired and a first year HC taking his team to the NFCCG with the QB rumored to be the reason he was fired. Think about how seeing that smug QB, already rumored to be having some difficulty with his new HC, all season long while you sit at home unemployed. He's buying a 20M Malibu home with his then girlfriend while you wonder about your future.

The former HC was more like management, the enemy, and this new HC is more like them. He's got a great genuine smile, a blue collar attitude and the type coach a player wants to play his best for because he's pulling for him.

You can't tell me that having a coach under fire and rumors running rampant that as a player you are going to give your all for that guy when the chips are down. Where's the connection with a guy that's part of the Jones family and an Ivy Leaguer and a guy still in training? When did you ever hear of players from other teams calling out the opposing coach for incompetence? Well, they never heard that in the media either.

The perfect storm is in place and the stars aligned because a team in need of redemption got the HC they wanted and the connection was immediate if for no other reason than the common goal they share. They can and will redeem each other, they will win the East, belief will be re-instilled in them and they will play up to potential. How far that can take them is anyone's guess but they will win the East.
The Cowboys-Chiefs Superbowl is going to be one for the ages.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Let's hope what was closely-fought competitions with the Eagles in the past, turns to our favor, with a new Cowboys' staff in 2020.:thumbup:

Last edited:

Wood

Reaction score
Let's start with the Curse of the Repeat. No team has won it back to back in 16 years and 16 years is a long time, especially if you just got your driver's license.

Let's add that the last 3 coaching changes resulted in the playoffs in that new HC's first year.

Whether you buy into the Cowboys were the most talented team or not, and I do not, I do believe they were the most underachieving team based on their talent. They may have liked their HC but not enough to redeem him. He was not the kind of guy that invited that from players.

Last year's players have been conveniently given the excuse that it was the coaching staff but in order to prove that correct, they must achieve this season. They perform and all fingers continue to point at the coaching staff. They don't and the ?'s turn toward them.

Couple this with they have THE HC in the NFL is need of redemption after getting fired and a first year HC taking his team to the NFCCG with the QB rumored to be the reason he was fired. Think about how seeing that smug QB, already rumored to be having some difficulty with his new HC, all season long while you sit at home unemployed. He's buying a 20M Malibu home with his then girlfriend while you wonder about your future.

The former HC was more like management, the enemy, and this new HC is more like them. He's got a great genuine smile, a blue collar attitude and the type coach a player wants to play his best for because he's pulling for him.

You can't tell me that having a coach under fire and rumors running rampant that as a player you are going to give your all for that guy when the chips are down. Where's the connection with a guy that's part of the Jones family and an Ivy Leaguer and a guy still in training? When did you ever hear of players from other teams calling out the opposing coach for incompetence? Well, they never heard that in the media either.

The perfect storm is in place and the stars aligned because a team in need of redemption got the HC they wanted and the connection was immediate if for no other reason than the common goal they share. They can and will redeem each other, they will win the East, belief will be re-instilled in them and they will play up to potential. How far that can take them is anyone's guess but they will win the East.

The only way the Eagles can beat Dallas is with their dynamic TEs against Dallas weak Safeties. If Dallas cuts Dix and signs Earl Thomas they effectively win the division because ET will be able to control those TE better and then Eagles don't stand chance especially considering their OL has been decimated with injury and Dallas front 7 looks nasty.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

I think we will win the east, I think key is continuity as much as possible, so keeping moore, helps the offense and they are loaded. to win in regular season you only need offense and we are loaded. skins are in turmoil. giants are still rebuilding and they got garrett. eagles have some issues to overcome. wince is already injured and their OL is questionable at best. they went out and got slay to stop cooper and we got CeeDee....oops....

we should win the east, perhaps too much expectations for a new coach, new regime, new system, but there are no excuses.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think we will win the east, I think key is continuity as much as possible, so keeping moore, helps the offense and they are loaded. to win in regular season you only need offense and we are loaded. skins are in turmoil. giants are still rebuilding and they got garrett. eagles have some issues to overcome. wince is already injured and their OL is questionable at best. they went out and got slay to stop cooper and we got CeeDee....oops....

we should win the east, perhaps too much expectations for a new coach, new regime, new system, but there are no excuses.
No, there are no excuses because this coach was hired to take this team further right now. That's why Booger said from the beginning that he wanted a vet coach.

If he brings in Riley or Meyer, there's that grace period while they get accustomed to the change. Rivera was already gone and that left one and in that 12 hour interview McC showed Booger what he wanted to see, eye of the tiger. He likes it that McC was fired and had to sit it out last season as that removes the question of desire and coaching for a paycheck. Add to that a rookie HC takes his team, along with Mr. Smug, to the NFCCG, more fuel for the fire.

Add to this that McC could care less about the media and being the face of the team, he's happy just to be the coach of the team.

I could be wrong about him and if I am will admit it as I was about Kiffin. I thought after failing to bail his son out at USC, he would have that eye of the tiger but he was all about talent. Hell, I could have coached TB's D. "You large guys, rush the passer, you medium sized guys hang out in the middle and you smaller guys cover people and hit them and if you see the ball in the air, snatch it. If anyone needs me, I'll be in the pirate ship at the "Arrrgggghhh" Bar. Send a message with the parrot".

McC is coming in with eyes wide open and in order to get the job had to assure Booger that he could take Garrett's players and take them where Booger wanted to go. He knows he's there to take them back to the Big Dance, nothing else will do.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Wouldn’t it be the perfect storm for us to be looking like SB champs only to have the rug pulled out from under us with this current situation ending the season.
Dont let the rain come down.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
No, there are no excuses because this coach was hired to take this team further right now. That's why Booger said from the beginning that he wanted a vet coach.

If he brings in Riley or Meyer, there's that grace period while they get accustomed to the change. Rivera was already gone and that left one and in that 12 hour interview McC showed Booger what he wanted to see, eye of the tiger. He likes it that McC was fired and had to sit it out last season as that removes the question of desire and coaching for a paycheck. Add to that a rookie HC takes his team, along with Mr. Smug, to the NFCCG, more fuel for the fire.

Add to this that McC could care less about the media and being the face of the team, he's happy just to be the coach of the team.

I could be wrong about him and if I am will admit it as I was about Kiffin. I thought after failing to bail his son out at USC, he would have that eye of the tiger but he was all about talent. Hell, I could have coached TB's D. "You large guys, rush the passer, you medium sized guys hang out in the middle and you smaller guys cover people and hit them and if you see the ball in the air, snatch it. If anyone needs me, I'll be in the pirate ship at the "Arrrgggghhh" Bar. Send a message with the parrot".

McC is coming in with eyes wide open and in order to get the job had to assure Booger that he could take Garrett's players and take them where Booger wanted to go. He knows he's there to take them back to the Big Dance, nothing else will do.
Yep
Super Bowl or Bust!!

Anything less than NFCCG this year will be coming up short.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yep
Super Bowl or Bust!!
Which every other HC is hired under. When they bust, they get busted. Which is why there is 20-25% turnover at that position every year.

I'd like to know where Booger placed the jettison button for McC. Does he get 4-5 years if there's no Big Dance?

I still think Riley is in the picture for the future. He's a good coach and has the type personality that would get along with the Joneses. I really don't think he put himself in the game this last off season, he has unfinished business at OU and no OU HC worth his salt doesn't win a national championship before leaving.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

I think the key thing for all coaches, is managing players psyche, building a team and managing game day calls. all plays, schemes, etc. are design for success. they are all very similar, but controlling personnel packages and the calls that are made make the difference between success and failure....garrett had tendencies, specially with Linehan. very predictable...ala when Noah Brown was in the game we ran 80% of the time (or something close to that)....but mixing the personnel packages and calling the right play at crucial times is the difference between good, average and bad coaches. Garrett often out smarted himself. i.e. in the vikings game, we pass our way up the field, then he thinks he is got their defense in a rythm and runs and passes to zeke 4 times in a row and grabs defeat from jaws of victory...

MMc has a better feel for in game management, which is probably the most important part of a coaches job. manage the game day. most games go into the 4th quarter, close and within a score. its managing those crucial times and calls that make the difference and he has shown he can do that. I liked the fact that he kept moore for some sense of continuity and was willing to give up play calling and he is going to be a good mentor and right mentor for Moore.

so I do have high hopes. I think we will make playoffs. I think we will win a wild card game and have a chance to get to NFCCG if everything falls in place. I don't think we are superbowl ready this year, but if things go well this year, defintley next year.

InTheZone

Reaction score
Skins are a dead franchise with no QB (unless smith starts and is decent in his return), giants suck, and half the eagles roster is or will be on IR again. No reason why a stacked as "heck" team can't win the division