CFZ Why I believe there's no way this is a tear down-rebuild off-season

kskboys

Reaction score
Maybe because of his record after the regular season? Or does that record get attributed to the rest of the team, while the regular season record gets attributed to the QB?
Or maybe they didn't watch the first 3 1/2 qtrs of the playoff loss.

kskboys

Reaction score
But you can decide if a team was a serious contender after the results. No one is splitting hairs as to the definition of the word contender. We are differentiating serious contenders from the perennially also rans-I actually think most of the fans who defend the Cowboys on this understand the main principles of this argument. I believe the major contenders of any year reach the final four-or put up a nasty fight to one of the final four in the playoffs.
There are very specific certain factors that make one a super bowl contender. BTW, being able to stop the run is 2nd on the list!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

phildadon86

Reaction score
We are only a month into what is a full six months of the NFL‘s 2024 off-season calendar, and already many Cowboys fans are jumping to conclusions that may not be true. After Jerry’s infamous “All In” comments, many expected big changes in how this team approached the off-season. They of course haven’t surfaced.

And after the disappointing inactivity of this front office early in free agency, the loss of multiple FA starters to other teams, and a seeming willingness to let Dak Prescott play 2024 without a new contract or extension, some fans are seeing this as a “tear down and rebuild”. They see these signs as the team stripping it all down for a new QB, new HC, and rebuilt roster for 2025. In other words, some are seeing all this inactivity as a bigger plan to just clear the decks and start over.

I say there’s no way this FO is doing a tear down-rebuild. Why? Two reasons:

1. In the Jerry Jones era since 1989, this front office has only done two deliberately planned rebuilds: One under Jimmy Johnson from 1989-1992 and the second under Bill Parcells from 2003-2006. The Jones FO has NEVER done a rebuild without a strong HC in charge because they can’t do it. (Anyone who says 2016 was a rebuild- it was an accident- not planned)
  2. Jerry and Stephen Jones literally do NOT know how to build a championship contending roster in the cap era. They have never done it. If they could do it, they would have already done it.
I of course could be wrong. Maybe JJ and SJ are spending this off-season just planning a complete re-tooling of this team’s future including a new QB and HC for 2025. But I don’t think so.

In fact, I predict this front office is planning on continuing their some old off-season approach of going cheap in FA, put all your improvement chips on the draft, and at the last minute re-sign the same QB that has gone 36-15 the last 3 regular seasons. I think that is a big mistake and one that will produce the same results we’ve been getting which is a WC playoff win every 4-5 years at best.

I understand why some fans are saying, “Big changes are coming.” I’m saying expect to see more of the same. I don’t like that and I hope I’m wrong. But why would we think the Jones boys suddenly “get it”, when we have three decades of evidence that say otherwise. Since SJ got a bigger say in what happens around here, when was the last big off-season “gamble“ this FO took?

Again, I hope I’m wrong.
I disagree.

I believe (hope) that they have a handshake agreement with BB and losing the big contracts is one of the stipulations for him to come here.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I disagree.

I believe (hope) that they have a handshake agreement with BB and losing the big contracts is one of the stipulations for him to come here.
To me that would be a disaster. Two points:
  • I respect Bill Belechick greatly but at 73, his days as a great NFL HC are long gone. (I had great respect for Tom Landry too and even though JJs firing of Landry was clumsy and mishandled, Landry’s time was up. Same for BB.)
  • I would be stunned if Bill Belechick, one of the most hands on, control centered head coaches ever, would somehow agree to come to the Jones circus where he couldn’t even have control of the locker room.
In my opinion, it is more likely to snow on July 4th in Dallas that Bill Belichick ever agreeing to be the next HC of the Dallas Cowboys.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
But you can decide if a team was a serious contender after the results. No one is splitting hairs as to the definition of the word contender. We are differentiating serious contenders from the perennially also rans-I actually think most of the fans who defend the Cowboys on this understand the main principles of this argument. I believe the major contenders of any year reach the final four-or put up a nasty fight to one of the final four in the playoffs.
and i disagree 100%.... and yes we are absolutely splitting hairs on what a contender is. if you are the number 1 or 2 seed heading into the playoffs, you are absolutely a contender. Many 1 seeds have been bounced in rd 1 in the past 15 years. To say a 1 seed was never a contender because they lost their 1st rd game is ludicrous.

The Giants team that was 7-7 and they were calling for Coughlin to be fired were never considered a contender that season. Then they went out and won the SB.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I disagree.

bahahahahhahhah.... BB, you talking about the guy that has a losing record in his career without Brady?

jgboys1

Reaction score
I agree! I expect the big Dak extension and pretty much riding with the same personal minus a few upgrades and most likely a few downgrades. Next season should be real interesting but I think 2025 is going to be even crazier if the Cowboys do another one and done in the playoffs or miss them entirely.

Blitzen

Reaction score
and i disagree 100%.... and yes we are absolutely splitting hairs on what a contender is. if you are the number 1 or 2 seed heading into the playoffs, you are absolutely a contender. Many 1 seeds have been bounced in rd 1 in the past 15 years. To say a 1 seed was never a contender because they lost their 1st rd game is ludicrous.

The Giants team that was 7-7 and they were calling for Coughlin to be fired were never considered a contender that season. Then they went out and won the SB.

Then split hairs lol. I say that you can tell whether a team was a SERIOUS contender after the results. Whether every national or local media member, pundit, team executive, player considers a team a contender means zero to me.

By definition, every team that qualifies for the playoffs any given year is contending (a contender) for a championship lol. They can reveal their pretender or (SERIOUS) contender status with their eventual performance in the postseason games.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Then split hairs lol. I say that you can tell whether a team was a SERIOUS contender after the results. Whether every national or local media member, pundit, team executive, player considers a team a contender means zero to me.

By definition, every team that qualifies for the playoffs any given year is contending (a contender) for a championship lol. They can reveal their pretender or (SERIOUS) contender status with their eventual performance in the postseason games.
2012 number 2 Alabama Crushed the non contending number 1 ranked Notre Dame team in the NCAA title game. According to you, that is how it works.

Blitzen

Reaction score
2012 number 2 Alabama Crushed the non contending number 1 ranked Notre Dame team in the NCAA title game. According to you, that is how it works.

Lol-nope. Read my description of who I consider a serious contender in the NFL again. Get to the final four or put up a nasty fight against one of the final four, and that makes the team a serious contender for that season. Nice try at putting words in other people’s mouths.

Just getting to a title game obviously makes a team a serious contender-that’s how it always works.

Redline360

Reaction score
Didn't read the threads so I'm probably repeating the same things others have said numerous times

1) Jerrys age
2) They have not shown the capability of building a team by themselves
3) Jerry would have to admit he was wrong and that coming from someone with his narcissistic mindset is never happening.
4) Money and public image would slip for a few years. Jerry needs to field just a relevant enough team to keep the money flowing.

Basically we have a better shot a getting a date with Scarlett johansson

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Didn't read the threads so I'm probably repeating the same things others have said numerous times

1) Jerrys age
2) They have not shown the capability of building a team by themselves
3) Jerry would have to admit he was wrong and that coming from someone with his narcissistic mindset is never happening.
4) Money and public image would slip for a few years. Jerry needs to field just a relevant enough team to keep the money flowing.

Basically we have a better shot a getting a date with Scarlett johansson
Agree with most in #4 replace money with ego and its spot on..the Jones money is set...his ego is driving the bus to nowhere..

Blitzen

Reaction score
We are only a month into what is a full six months of the NFL‘s 2024 off-season calendar, and already many Cowboys fans are jumping to conclusions that may not be true. After Jerry’s infamous “All In” comments, many expected big changes in how this team approached the off-season. They of course haven’t surfaced.

And after the disappointing inactivity of this front office early in free agency, the loss of multiple FA starters to other teams, and a seeming willingness to let Dak Prescott play 2024 without a new contract or extension, some fans are seeing this as a “tear down and rebuild”. They see these signs as the team stripping it all down for a new QB, new HC, and rebuilt roster for 2025. In other words, some are seeing all this inactivity as a bigger plan to just clear the decks and start over.

I say there’s no way this FO is doing a tear down-rebuild. Why? Two reasons:

1. In the Jerry Jones era since 1989, this front office has only done two deliberately planned rebuilds: One under Jimmy Johnson from 1989-1992 and the second under Bill Parcells from 2003-2006. The Jones FO has NEVER done a rebuild without a strong HC in charge because they can’t do it. (Anyone who says 2016 was a rebuild- it was an accident- not planned)
  2. Jerry and Stephen Jones literally do NOT know how to build a championship contending roster in the cap era. They have never done it. If they could do it, they would have already done it.
I of course could be wrong. Maybe JJ and SJ are spending this off-season just planning a complete re-tooling of this team’s future including a new QB and HC for 2025. But I don’t think so.

In fact, I predict this front office is planning on continuing their some old off-season approach of going cheap in FA, put all your improvement chips on the draft, and at the last minute re-sign the same QB that has gone 36-15 the last 3 regular seasons. I think that is a big mistake and one that will produce the same results we’ve been getting which is a WC playoff win every 4-5 years at best.

I understand why some fans are saying, “Big changes are coming.” I’m saying expect to see more of the same. I don’t like that and I hope I’m wrong. But why would we think the Jones boys suddenly “get it”, when we have three decades of evidence that say otherwise. Since SJ got a bigger say in what happens around here, when was the last big off-season “gamble“ this FO took?

Again, I hope I’m wrong.

This offseason goes against their typical m.o. They would typically not allow themselves to replace so many snaps with outside free agents and rookies-unless they were coming off a terrible season.

The front office does not believe in the previous squad. No matter what else gets said here-their actions say that. They typically attempt to build on the team by re-signing some solid players from their own squad (perhaps adding outside free agents if there is a new coordinator and the previous unit performed extremely poorly). The decision to extend an older QB as though the team believes there is a deep playoff run future in store seems bizarre. If they wish to remain relevant-it is equally bizarre-re-signing their own proven solid players (to big money) was their primary means of achieving relevance for a given season.

There could be quite a bit of chaos until players figure out a scheme-which could jeopardize a season before it begins. Any significant injuries to the OL/DL starters could be catastrophic and spell the end of season relevance.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
This offseason goes against their typical m.o. They would typically not allow themselves to replace so many snaps with outside free agents and rookies-unless they were coming off a terrible season.

The front office does not believe in the previous squad. No matter what else gets said here-their actions say that. They typically attempt to build on the team by re-signing some solid players from their own squad (perhaps adding outside free agents if there is a new coordinator and the previous unit performed extremely poorly). The decision to extend an older QB as though the team believes there is a deep playoff run future in store seems bizarre. If they wish to remain relevant-it is equally bizarre-re-signing their own proven solid players (to big money) was their primary means of achieving relevance for a given season.

There could be quite a bit of chaos until players figure out a scheme-which could jeopardize a season before it begins. Any significant injuries to the OL/DL starters could be catastrophic and spell the end of season relevance.
This would make more sense to me had they not added void years to Dak's contract and not brought MM back...ooh and there is also this we be saying we think this FO has a plan and thats a hard sell for me..

75boyz

Reaction score
When or more importantly IF, a new contract is NOT offered to #4 is when I would believe in a partial tear down and re-build. Seeing is believing.

I think it's lip service rumors on Dak not extending with the team at this point. I believe he will eventually be signed during Training Camp time frame or August.
I also believe Lamb and Parsons will receive mega contracts.

Jerry's marketing of these 3 stars will continue on as business as usual for the team going forward.

I believe the more that things change the more they stay the same.

As much as this team needs to move on from this QB I think he gets extended AGAIN.

Truly, more sad times ahead.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score

Again, I hope I’m wrong.
Unfortunately agree and believe it's still down to Jerry's never ending hubris that he's a footballing genius.

The REAL maddening aspect is that the scenario we find ourselves in is ideal for a new GM to step into and make decisions and carve out a future. Come in now, during a soft reset, then decide on: our direction based on what was a play-off team, not a massive financial commitment and workout which of the forthcoming mega deals to base the strategy around.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Unfortunately agree and believe it's still down to Jerry's never ending hubris that he's a footballing genius.

The REAL maddening aspect is that the scenario we find ourselves in is ideal for a new GM to step into and make decisions and carve out a future. Come in now, during a soft reset, then decide on: our direction based on what was a play-off team, not a massive financial commitment and workout which of the forthcoming mega deals to base the strategy around.
they didnt even bring in a new HC....i dont think this is the "Reset" some think it is.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Resetting the CAP. It's also a reset in that 2025 will probably be a totally new coaching staff, a new GM gets to pick their staff in 2025.
maybe...we have seen this no FA's dance before we have actually seen them replace starters with draft picks before...certainly anything is possible but again if i check this FO's history the bet has to be there is a CD and Dak extension comming with a draft for need and then some left over FA's brough in..