CFZ Why I have optimism for the coming year

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
There has been a lot of talk about the free agents lost and the lack of signings but a look at the position groups shows that this team might actually be better than the last following the draft and free agency.

CB - lost Gilly gained Diggs - backups gained some experience. If Diggs is fully healed this group could be better than last years even with no additions.

S - lost Kearse Thomas and Bell gained experience. Wilson and Hooker still here. Could easily be better than last year.

LB - lost Vander Eshe gained Hendricks and Overshown and will likely draft another plus Clarke will likely be moved to his natural position. I believe this group will be clearly better.

DT - lost Hankenson and Gallimore. Mazi and OSA are the starters and we will likely add 1 in the draft. If Mazi shows any improvement and the draftee does anything this group could easily be better

DE - lost Fowler and Armstrong. Sam Williams is the key here. It’s time for him to step up. If he reaches his potential even this group could be better. I suspect a FA will be brought in late here as well.

Punter kicker and long snapper will be the same

WR - lost our number 3 but he provided nothing. Tolbert gained a year of experience. We will likely add another. Cooks is more familiar with the offense and the chemistry with Dak seemed to improve as the year went on. This group could easily be better

TE - lost no one. Shoenmaker should contribute something and Stephens will be back. This group should be better.

RB - lost a pretty good one but he was recovering from injury and had his worst year as a pro last year. Will likely add one in the draft early. I fully expect the rushing attack to be improved.

QB - as much as we like to speculate Dak will be here so no change here.

OL - we lost two starters here and this is the one group that could possibly be worse but it doesn’t have to be. Let’s see what it looks like following the draft. C can easily be improved. Replacing Tyron is harder but his availability was always in question. The key to this group might be the RT. If he can return to form him and Martin were opening huge running lanes at one time. I can remember Dak taking a QB sneak for about 20 yards because the right side of the line just blew people up. Even this group has a shot at being improved.

There is hope. IMO

Mikexike

Reaction score
There has been a lot of talk about the free agents lost and the lack of signings but a look at the position groups shows that this team might actually be better than the last following the draft and free agency.

CB - lost Gilly gained Diggs - backups gained some experience. If Diggs is fully healed this group could be better than last years even with no additions.

S - lost Kearse Thomas and Bell gained experience. Wilson and Hooker still here. Could easily be better than last year.

LB - lost Vander Eshe gained Hendricks and Overshown and will likely draft another plus Clarke will likely be moved to his natural position. I believe this group will be clearly better.

DT - lost Hankenson and Gallimore. Mazi and OSA are the starters and we will likely add 1 in the draft. If Mazi shows any improvement and the draftee does anything this group could easily be better

DE - lost Fowler and Armstrong. Sam Williams is the key here. It’s time for him to step up. If he reaches his potential even this group could be better. I suspect a FA will be brought in late here as well.

WR - lost our number 3 but he provided nothing. Tolbert gained a year of experience. We will likely add another. Cooks is more familiar with the offense and the chemistry with Dak seemed to improve as the year went on. This group could easily be better

TE - lost no one. Shoenmaker should contribute something and Stephens will be back. This group should be better.

RB - lost a pretty good one but he was recovering from injury and had his worst year as a pro last year. Will likely add one in the draft early. I fully expect the rushing attack to be improved.

OL - we lost two starters here and this is the one group that could possibly be worse but it doesn’t have to be. Let’s see what it looks like following the draft. C can easily be improved. Replacing Tyron is harder but his availability was always in question. The key to this group might be the RT. If he can return to form him and Martin were opening huge running lanes at one time. I can remember Dak taking a QB sneak for about 20 yards because the right side of the line just blew people up. Even this group has a shot at being improved.

There is hope. IMO
I see your points, Addition by subtraction. I also believe if we hit on the right center, Run game will be much improved. I don't think tyler b helped that department at all.

shabazz

Reaction score

There is hope. IMO
I could not disagree any more......but Im always glad to have opposing optimistic voices and listen to them articulate their reasons.......I'm not sure though that the Center can be easily improved for example.

The main issue is that some of these glaring holes have to be filled with free agents in their PRIME. Aside from Hendricks, we haven't done that.

I just find it hard to put much faith in rookies and 2nd year guys .....it's a great leap of faith........but again thanks for the optimistic view

Mikexike

Reaction score
I could not disagree any more......but Im always glad to have opposing optimistic voices and listen to them articulate their reasons.......I'm not sure though that the Center can be easily improved for example.

The main issue is that some of these glaring holes have to be filled with free agents their PRIME. Aside from Hendricks, we haven't done that.

I just find it hard to put much faith in rookies and 2nd year guys .....it's a great leap of faith........but again thanks for the optimistic view
Lets just hope whichever C they take, They will turn out to be a travis clone.

Chasing6

Reaction score

There is hope. IMO
Good take. I think were we will struggle the most is with depth. Every year someone gets hurt. Seems like we finely got rid of our repeat offenders with LVE and Tyron Smith.

We will have to see what we get with Mazi, Schoon, Diggs and Overshown coming back from injury.

For Mazi and Schoon it has to be an improvement from last year right.

Diggs and Overshown should be an automatic improvement.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
We will still have a solid football team in 2024. 2025 is when we will have serious problems. Just saying. :rolleyes:

morasp

Reaction score
I have a feeling Parsons could be used like Anthony Barr was with the Vikings. If you look at Barr's draft profile it sounds a lot like Parsons. Parsons could still be a designated pass rusher on passing downs and a LB on the others. That would give you Clark Kendricks and Parsons with Kendricks and Clark on the nickel downs and Parsons as the DPR.

Overview​

A highly disruptive, athletic specimen with the pass-rush potential to effortlessly emerge as a double-digit sack producer. Is far from a finished product and his best football is still ahead of him, yet he plays the game with more of an offensive temperament and could require some patience. Is the type of rare athlete that could even contribute as an offensive playmaker once he learns to grasp defensive concepts and the game slows down for him. A top-10 talent.

Strengths​

Exceptional take-off speed, acceleration and closing burst. Makes plays effortlessly in back-side lateral pursuit. Outstanding recovery quickness to make plays (when he is out of position). Explosive striker. Can produce "wow" plays when he triggers quickly or releases cleanly and has developed a reputation for knocking quarterbacks out of games (see USC, 2012 and New Mexico State, 2013).

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/anthony-barr/32004241-5255-0678-26cd-58fd8ece815f

fivetwos

Reaction score
Pretty much any topic can be spun in opposite ways.

The case can be made for optimism in Dallas, but there’s no way to not base it on SEVERAL second and third year players performing above and beyond potential we have yet to see.

I continue to wonder why they insist they are better at drafting and developing than any other team and can rely on rookies for immediate help.

Kolemmitt

Reaction score
I think the most disappointing thing for me is that our weaknesses at the end of the year, could have been fixed for a reasonable price already, so we could go into the draft with the ability to draft BPA, and then really propel this team forward.
As it is, we will have to be very lucky and depend on a lot of what-ifs to get back close to where we were last year.