CFZ Why I have optimism for the coming year

StarLord

Reaction score
Counting on guys coming off ACL (especially on the first year back) surgery is not a plan.
Yeah they simply will not be 100% this coming year. Related: I expect Gallup to be better this year coming up.

fivetwos

Reaction score
No chance the team is better in 2024. They might possibly improve in some areas, but overall Dallas will have lost far more talent than they gained- regardless of how successful they are in the draft. Dallas will be lucky to make the playoffs.
Certain fans operate exactly the way the Joneses do….think they can talk something into existence.

Chasing6

Reaction score
There has been a lot of talk about the free agents lost and the lack of signings but a look at the position groups shows that this team might actually be better than the last following the draft and free agency.

CB - lost Gilly gained Diggs - backups gained some experience. If Diggs is fully healed this group could be better than last years even with no additions.

S - lost Kearse Thomas and Bell gained experience. Wilson and Hooker still here. Could easily be better than last year.

LB - lost Vander Eshe gained Hendricks and Overshown and will likely draft another plus Clarke will likely be moved to his natural position. I believe this group will be clearly better.

DT - lost Hankenson and Gallimore. Mazi and OSA are the starters and we will likely add 1 in the draft. If Mazi shows any improvement and the draftee does anything this group could easily be better

DE - lost Fowler and Armstrong. Sam Williams is the key here. It’s time for him to step up. If he reaches his potential even this group could be better. I suspect a FA will be brought in late here as well.

Punter kicker and long snapper will be the same

WR - lost our number 3 but he provided nothing. Tolbert gained a year of experience. We will likely add another. Cooks is more familiar with the offense and the chemistry with Dak seemed to improve as the year went on. This group could easily be better

TE - lost no one. Shoenmaker should contribute something and Stephens will be back. This group should be better.

RB - lost a pretty good one but he was recovering from injury and had his worst year as a pro last year. Will likely add one in the draft early. I fully expect the rushing attack to be improved.

QB - as much as we like to speculate Dak will be here so no change here.

OL - we lost two starters here and this is the one group that could possibly be worse but it doesn’t have to be. Let’s see what it looks like following the draft. C can easily be improved. Replacing Tyron is harder but his availability was always in question. The key to this group might be the RT. If he can return to form him and Martin were opening huge running lanes at one time. I can remember Dak taking a QB sneak for about 20 yards because the right side of the line just blew people up. Even this group has a shot at being improved.

There is hope. IMO
I think optimism for me will start when we actually start acting like a football organization. Which most likely will not happen until the draft starts.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
There has been a lot of talk about the free agents lost and the lack of signings but a look at the position groups shows that this team might actually be better than the last following the draft and free agency.

CB - lost Gilly gained Diggs - backups gained some experience. If Diggs is fully healed this group could be better than last years even with no additions.

S - lost Kearse Thomas and Bell gained experience. Wilson and Hooker still here. Could easily be better than last year.

LB - lost Vander Eshe gained Hendricks and Overshown and will likely draft another plus Clarke will likely be moved to his natural position. I believe this group will be clearly better.

DT - lost Hankenson and Gallimore. Mazi and OSA are the starters and we will likely add 1 in the draft. If Mazi shows any improvement and the draftee does anything this group could easily be better

DE - lost Fowler and Armstrong. Sam Williams is the key here. It’s time for him to step up. If he reaches his potential even this group could be better. I suspect a FA will be brought in late here as well.

WR - lost our number 3 but he provided nothing. Tolbert gained a year of experience. We will likely add another. Cooks is more familiar with the offense and the chemistry with Dak seemed to improve as the year went on. This group could easily be better

TE - lost no one. Shoenmaker should contribute something and Stephens will be back. This group should be better.

RB - lost a pretty good one but he was recovering from injury and had his worst year as a pro last year. Will likely add one in the draft early. I fully expect the rushing attack to be improved.

OL - we lost two starters here and this is the one group that could possibly be worse but it doesn’t have to be. Let’s see what it looks like following the draft. C can easily be improved. Replacing Tyron is harder but his availability was always in question. The key to this group might be the RT. If he can return to form him and Martin were opening huge running lanes at one time. I can remember Dak taking a QB sneak for about 20 yards because the right side of the line just blew people up. Even this group has a shot at being improved.

There is hope. IMO
I do appreciate your efforts here.
However, there are a lot of "ifs", "coulds" and expects in your post.
Hope is not a good strategy for a professional football team.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
I think optimism for me will start when we actually start acting like a football organization. Which most likely will not happen until the draft starts.
Philly just signed another TE, like the sixth one, because outside of Goedert, the rest of their tight ends had 10 starts between them. They signed Uzomah to a one year contract. Half their TEs will be released during the pre-season, but that team does not rest. And they have a first and two 2nds in this draft. They probably won’t win more than eight or nine games this season, but it won’t be for lack of effort.

Cowfan75Lives

Reaction score
Hope for the same results as last year? Nope. Mazi is a bust, Williams is a bonehead. Dak needs total protection or he's toast. And it doesn't matter who the WRs are. As Jerry says...we'll just have to do more with less. That tells you Daddy&Son's outlook.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Pre-draft is very early to try and make season predictions, but at this point I'm not at all optimistic about this season. We've lost too many players and starters. 7 or 8 wins likely, maybe nine if we're lucky. :(

rambo2

Reaction score

There is hope. IMO
It's obvious that they have a pretty good team.

RonnieT24

Reaction score

There is hope. IMO
Good stuff... I like the optimism. But to the bold I would like to point out that Dak was better in 2023 than he was in 2022.. There is no reason he cannot continue to improve under McCarthy's teaching. McCarthy has proven himself to be really good QB teacher over the better part of three decades. People parroting the "he is who he is" narrative on Dak just refuse to accept the reality that the dude just keeps getting better. The next thing to solve is the slow starts thing in bigger games. That's something that is 100% mental and I trust him and McCarthy to get it figured out. I never for one second thought Moore would.

Walker

Texas Ranger
Reaction score
Anyone who thinks we had a positive offseason are hitting really hard drugs.