CFZ Why I have optimism for the coming year

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
I think we will make the play offs like last year and then our players will get their free time early just like always. This upcoming season will bring nothing new to the table. IF they don't extend Dak though, I will get excited about the rebuild after that. Let's see.

The worst thing though of this year will be the 5 Dak homers on these boards, who after a couple of wins will put him right back up there in QB olympus and shove it down our throats. Because... stats. Then, when he chokes in the play offs it will be the team which let him down.

Friggin Déjà-vu coming up.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The wildcard is more on the coaching than the players and how fast the staff change takes place.
I have optimism too but this is a season of changes at coaching and QB and a clear path to the future. My hope is we finish stronger than we start and build for a strong 2025.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
CB - lost Gilly gained Diggs - backups gained some experience. If Diggs is fully healed this group could be better than last years even with no additions.

LB - lost Vander Eshe gained Hendricks and Overshown and will likely draft another plus Clarke will likely be moved to his natural position. I believe this group will be clearly better.

DT - lost Hankenson and Gallimore. Mazi and OSA are the starters and we will likely add 1 in the draft. If Mazi shows any improvement and the draftee does anything this group could easily be better

DE - lost Fowler and Armstrong. Sam Williams is the key here. It’s time for him to step up. If he reaches his potential even this group could be better. I suspect a FA will be brought in late here as well.

OL - we lost two starters here and this is the one group that could possibly be worse but it doesn’t have to be. Let’s see what it looks like following the draft. C can easily be improved. Replacing Tyron is harder but his availability was always in question. The key to this group might be the RT. If he can return to form him and Martin were opening huge running lanes at one time. I can remember Dak taking a QB sneak for about 20 yards because the right side of the line just blew people up. Even this group has a shot at being improved.
CB - The history lately has been anyone with a serious injury isn't back fully the next year. That's Diggs. Bland is probably worse. Don't throw outs on Bland. It's not that complicated. And I think teams figured it out toward the end of the season. No way Bland matches his historic performance of last year. Worse.

LB - Get Parsons off the dline on pass downs. Put him back at LB. Easy improvement there.

DT - Mazi has to remake his body and change position *again*. Shouldn't expect much more out of him. Osa isn't an every down 4-3 DT. DT was our weakest position last year, and we've only lost players so far.

DE - Could be some addition by subtraction on run defense just by getting Parsons off the dline on run downs. But losing Armstrong hurts. He's really the guy who should have been getting the run down snaps from Parson. Team would have been better. Williams is a good back fill for Armstrong. We get more dogs on the field if Parsons plays LB with the option to blitz.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
There has been a lot of talk about the free agents lost and the lack of signings but a look at the position groups shows that this team might actually be better than the last following the draft and free agency.

CB - lost Gilly gained Diggs - backups gained some experience. If Diggs is fully healed this group could be better than last years even with no additions.

S - lost Kearse Thomas and Bell gained experience. Wilson and Hooker still here. Could easily be better than last year.

LB - lost Vander Eshe gained Hendricks and Overshown and will likely draft another plus Clarke will likely be moved to his natural position. I believe this group will be clearly better.

DT - lost Hankenson and Gallimore. Mazi and OSA are the starters and we will likely add 1 in the draft. If Mazi shows any improvement and the draftee does anything this group could easily be better

DE - lost Fowler and Armstrong. Sam Williams is the key here. It’s time for him to step up. If he reaches his potential even this group could be better. I suspect a FA will be brought in late here as well.

Punter kicker and long snapper will be the same

WR - lost our number 3 but he provided nothing. Tolbert gained a year of experience. We will likely add another. Cooks is more familiar with the offense and the chemistry with Dak seemed to improve as the year went on. This group could easily be better

TE - lost no one. Shoenmaker should contribute something and Stephens will be back. This group should be better.

RB - lost a pretty good one but he was recovering from injury and had his worst year as a pro last year. Will likely add one in the draft early. I fully expect the rushing attack to be improved.

QB - as much as we like to speculate Dak will be here so no change here.

OL - we lost two starters here and this is the one group that could possibly be worse but it doesn’t have to be. Let’s see what it looks like following the draft. C can easily be improved. Replacing Tyron is harder but his availability was always in question. The key to this group might be the RT. If he can return to form him and Martin were opening huge running lanes at one time. I can remember Dak taking a QB sneak for about 20 yards because the right side of the line just blew people up. Even this group has a shot at being improved.

There is hope. IMO
I think they will be formidable it just sucks they didn’t improve on their weaknesses.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Lots of "if"

Jerry, is that you?

Hope is not a teambuilding strategy nor is it exclusive to the Cowboys. All 32 teams want their young players to improve and all 32 teams participate in the NFL draft.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Our run game on both sides of ball has needed improvement and we have more turnover this year in the trenches than we have in some time; on both sides of the ball.

If the solution is to draft 1 OLineman and 1 DT, and next man up mentality, we will be in the same position as last year.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
What a crazy optimistic outlook. What people never consider is that most NFL players decline every year. Chances are Bland will never be that good again. D Flaw is worse every year. Parsons, CD and Dak were essentially in contract years and may very well just had their career years.

The hope fort the team resides in the younger guys like Ferguson, Tyler Smith and Bell.

Get outa here with that Sam Williams crap dude is a turd and should have been flushed 2 years ago.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Gonna depend on health and hitting big in draft
The depth is depleted
how about this it's not just about the draft there's literally five months to add lots of veteran free agents who are already still available there's a very large free agent pool they just don't have the biggest names with the biggest contracts so they weren't on this fan base is impatient and unwavering list... Also trades can be made and more guys will be cut after the draft and right before the season starts there is so much more team and roster building that's gonna happen before game one you all act like the draft is the only thing left..IT IS NOT

Cmac

Reaction score
There's beachfront property in Wyoming for sale.

rambo2

Reaction score
Our run game on both sides of ball has needed improvement and we have more turnover this year in the trenches than we have in some time; on both sides of the ball.

If the solution is to draft 1 OLineman and 1 DT, and next man up mentality, we will be in the same position as last year.
Byron Murphy
Payton Wilson
1 of Trey Benson, Jaylon Wright, or Ray Davis.

Chasing6

Reaction score
how about this it's not just about the draft there's literally five months to add lots of veteran free agents who are already still available there's a very large free agent pool they just don't have the biggest names with the biggest contracts so they weren't on this fan base is impatient and unwavering list... Also trades can be made and more guys will be cut after the draft and right before the season starts there is so much more team and roster building that's gonna happen before game one you all act like the draft is the only thing left..IT IS NOT
We currently have no salary cap space. Pretty much only room for draft picks and some more scrubs.

So GM Jethro is going to have to extend CD or Dak to make room for any legit additions.

Techsass

Reaction score
I still don't know why we dropped Tyron. Even with missing games, he was still worth the $6m he got from the Jets.

We never seem to pick up any free agents in the off season that are difference makers. Last year we made the trades for Cooks & Gilmore which was unusual. They both helped a bunch, but I wouldn't list either of them as being great. Hopefully Gilmore will be resigned.

Last edited:

Chasing6

Reaction score
I still don't know why we dropped Tyron. Even with missing games, he was still worth the $6m he got from the Jets.

We never seem to pick up any free agents in the off season that are difference makers. Last year we made the trades for Cooks & Gilmore which was unusual. They both helped a bunch, but I wouldn't list either of them as being great.
GM Jethro is hoping for a Comp pick next year for Tyron. Jethro loves his comp picks.

blueblood70

Reaction score
There has been a lot of talk about the free agents lost and the lack of signings but a look at the position groups shows that this team might actually be better than the last following the draft and free agency.

S - lost Kearse Thomas and Bell gained experience. Wilson and Hooker still here. Could easily be better than last year.

WR - lost our number 3 but he provided nothing. Tolbert gained a year of experience. We will likely add another. Cooks is more familiar with the offense and the chemistry with Dak seemed to improve as the year went on. This group could easily be better

TE - lost no one. Shoenmaker should contribute something and Stephens will be back. This group should be better.

RB - lost a pretty good one but he was recovering from injury and had his worst year as a pro last year. Will likely add one in the draft early. I fully expect the rushing attack to be improved.

There is hope. IMO
I agree with most of that I mean it may not all be improved but at least it'll be equal to last year I mean you know we've won 12 games three straight years won the division two out of the last three years so if we can get at least an even swap to the replacements and the next guys up mentality I believe we'll be OK everyone's freaking out with the whole historically bad offseason talk again without realizing that this is as of today we still have the draft then we still have a lot of free agents that can be brought in that are available right now that are gonna be cut some more will be available and then make a trade or two like they have in the past Fort Gilmore hankins and cooks those worked out they have all that on the table before September which is five months away....

So I'm not one of them that been panicking there's a lot of people in here panicking calling this a bad offseason before it really has all been filled in the rest of this story will be written and there's no reason to worry about it..... How it works out on the field not on paper is how you judge this season so really we should be talking about this in February 2025....;)

blueblood70

Reaction score

We never seem to pick up any free agents in the off season that are difference makers. Last year we made the trades for Cooks & Gilmore which was unusual. They both helped a bunch, but I wouldn't list either of them as being great. Hopefully Gilmore will be resigned.
And let's stop forgetting that after the draft,

there's four months left before game one to make those kind of moves...

literally overreaction as if this offseason is over and there are free agent to be picked up, there's a pretty large free agent pool still left more guys are going to be cut after the draft, and that cut down during training camp, literally before game one they're gonna make those additions from the veteran free agents and UDFAS..

It may not be the ones that fans wanted them to target but there are a lot of guys like you mentioned that can still be added to this team...

On tyron Smith it's not a mystery that he's a year to two years away from retirement and they're just making this move NOW but isn't it ironic that most of you have been saying that we should get rid of him for the last four years??? he's taking up a spot for somebody who can Start learning now on the job and replace him??? Yes, in fact people were saying that Jerry Jones holds on to players far too long because he's emotionally involved but then when he finally makes a move, he gets criticized for that ,

he's damned if you do damned if you don't!?:facepalm:

InPhiltraitor

Reaction score

There is hope. IMO
A couple of months back I tried to view the roster in a similar manner. Then, after 10 minutes, reality smacked me upside the head.

Most would consider Diggs being back an upgrade over Gilmore, but remember, Gilmore was brought here to pair with Diggs and the Cowboys were dang lucky that move was made. Picture a scenario where Bland gets injured and ruled out for the season with the current next man up being either Nashon Wright or the highly coveted Eric Scott Jr. Yikes…that’s scary.

At DE I felt pretty good when a rested Armstrong and/or Fowler came into the game. Now, we’ve got the talented Sam Williams and that’s about it. So, if Sam’s playing for an injured Micah or D-Law (bound to happen), who’s the next rotational man up? Don’t think we’re scaring anyone with Golson, Wheat, or Fehoko coming off the edge. Be prepared for Micah’s body to start the seasonal wear-down a week or two earlier due to excessive playing time.

At DT Hankins wasn’t a world-beater but I had a modicum of comfort knowing he was there. Now it’s up to Big Maz and OSA and some guy named Carl Davis Jr. God help us!

At O-line let the shell game begin. Who we gonna get, and who’s playing what position? There isn’t a scenario the guarantees us a better O-line following the draft for at least the 2024 calendar year. If 31 teams went comatose and we drafted Barton and Mims, you still couldn’t guarantee that those two would make the team better than what we had last year.

At TE could Schoonmaker be any less effective? No. So that group should at least hold the status quo just like the receiving group. Can’t imagine Tolbert being less effective than Gallup last season but as a trio they’re not making DB’s shake in their boots. Thank goodness for CD.

RB please. We’ll be drafting one and who knows how that’s going to work out.

In recent weeks we’ve all jumped at drafting various positions discussed in the Draft Forum. Coveting players at as many positions as you have draft selections is usually a recipe for draft disappointment. If we exit Detroit with 3 legit players, that will be a home run. For arguments sake, let’s say our first three picks are Guyton, Brooks, and Sweat (cuz we need a 2nd rounder off injury & a Tipsy McStagger that dropped). It could be argued (on paper) that the starting line-up may be able to produce similar results to last year. However, be prepared for the spiral once one or two get injured or if our draft picks perform like last year’s crop.

Bottom line – optimism is well and good, but the reality is probably going to sting just a bit. You may want to temper the expectations just a tad.