CFZ Why I have optimism for the coming year

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Well for one Gilmore might still come back here but what's the difference between Trayvon diggs should he come back healthy, along with Lewis and bland on the outside.. its wash right? we basically had Gilmore, bland and Lewis most of the year.. bland 2nd year on the outside should be better,

I mean would be nice to have Diggs and Gilly outside and bland inside as they hoped last year but doubt there's much drop off if Gilmore is out..
Q might have left Dallas with a bad taste in the mouth of many fans, but at least while he was here he invested in the back 7 since day one and why we still
have some residual depth there.
Qs scheme might have sucked, but at least he left Zimmer with less stress there.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
Saying gained for guys that that were already on the team is a bit rich imo. Overshown hasn’t shown a thing in the league in actual real game time and he’s coming off an acl. Expecting diggs to come back and pick up right where he left off is a dream imo.

Optimism is fine. We all want the team to be good and maybe all these guys step up but it’s based on nothing right now.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
There has been a lot of talk about the free agents lost and the lack of signings but a look at the position groups shows that this team might actually be better than the last following the draft and free agency.

CB - lost Gilly gained Diggs - backups gained some experience. If Diggs is fully healed this group could be better than last years even with no additions.

S - lost Kearse Thomas and Bell gained experience. Wilson and Hooker still here. Could easily be better than last year.

LB - lost Vander Eshe gained Hendricks and Overshown and will likely draft another plus Clarke will likely be moved to his natural position. I believe this group will be clearly better.

DT - lost Hankenson and Gallimore. Mazi and OSA are the starters and we will likely add 1 in the draft. If Mazi shows any improvement and the draftee does anything this group could easily be better

DE - lost Fowler and Armstrong. Sam Williams is the key here. It’s time for him to step up. If he reaches his potential even this group could be better. I suspect a FA will be brought in late here as well.

Punter kicker and long snapper will be the same

WR - lost our number 3 but he provided nothing. Tolbert gained a year of experience. We will likely add another. Cooks is more familiar with the offense and the chemistry with Dak seemed to improve as the year went on. This group could easily be better

TE - lost no one. Shoenmaker should contribute something and Stephens will be back. This group should be better.

RB - lost a pretty good one but he was recovering from injury and had his worst year as a pro last year. Will likely add one in the draft early. I fully expect the rushing attack to be improved.

QB - as much as we like to speculate Dak will be here so no change here.

OL - we lost two starters here and this is the one group that could possibly be worse but it doesn’t have to be. Let’s see what it looks like following the draft. C can easily be improved. Replacing Tyron is harder but his availability was always in question. The key to this group might be the RT. If he can return to form him and Martin were opening huge running lanes at one time. I can remember Dak taking a QB sneak for about 20 yards because the right side of the line just blew people up. Even this group has a shot at being improved.

There is hope. IMO
Mazi is hurt for 4-6 months and at best will be last year version Of himself for the first half of the year. Without Hankins this run defense which was already bad is going to be worse.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
Nope it's being positive because you like the team and looking forward to the new players coming in and don't buy all the negative bs.
Also one injury to pretty much any group and the team is screwed. Theres no depth anywhere besides maybe TE.

rambo2

Reaction score
This secondary should be of minimal concern when evaluating the entire roster.
They will be short at corner at some point. I want them to fix dtackle and linebacker. That would be a good idea.

quickccc

Reaction score
There has been a lot of talk about the free agents lost and the lack of signings but a look at the position groups shows that this team might actually be better than the last following the draft and free agency.

CB - lost Gilly gained Diggs - backups gained some experience. If Diggs is fully healed this group could be better than last years even with no additions.

S - lost Kearse Thomas and Bell gained experience. Wilson and Hooker still here. Could easily be better than last year.

LB - lost Vander Eshe gained Hendricks and Overshown and will likely draft another plus Clarke will likely be moved to his natural position. I believe this group will be clearly better.

DT - lost Hankenson and Gallimore. Mazi and OSA are the starters and we will likely add 1 in the draft. If Mazi shows any improvement and the draftee does anything this group could easily be better

DE - lost Fowler and Armstrong. Sam Williams is the key here. It’s time for him to step up. If he reaches his potential even this group could be better. I suspect a FA will be brought in late here as well.

WR - lost our number 3 but he provided nothing. Tolbert gained a year of experience. We will likely add another. Cooks is more familiar with the offense and the chemistry with Dak seemed to improve as the year went on. This group could easily be better

TE - lost no one. Shoenmaker should contribute something and Stephens will be back. This group should be better.

RB - lost a pretty good one but he was recovering from injury and had his worst year as a pro last year. Will likely add one in the draft early. I fully expect the rushing attack to be improved.

OL - we lost two starters here and this is the one group that could possibly be worse but it doesn’t have to be. Let’s see what it looks like following the draft. C can easily be improved. Replacing Tyron is harder but his availability was always in question. The key to this group might be the RT. If he can return to form him and Martin were opening huge running lanes at one time. I can remember Dak taking a QB sneak for about 20 yards because the right side of the line just blew people up. Even this group has a shot at being improved.

There is hope. IMO
CB - who were the key backups that" gained experience" ? ... rookie Scott was a red shirt inactive all entire year. Wright has proven to be a JAG of a 3rd rd reach.
Izzy's career is in limbo, Didn't play CB and much like Wright, he's too tall and leggy to be a slot CB guy.

S - Correct me but i think Kearse is still a UFA. still on the streets, with apparently no other NFL team interested right now.
Probably will be signed on post draft and pre-camp by another NFL team who will pay much more.

quickccc

Reaction score
I have a feeling Parsons could be used like Anthony Barr was with the Vikings. If you look at Barr's draft profile it sounds a lot like Parsons. Parsons could still be a designated pass rusher on passing downs and a LB on the others. That would give you Clark Kendricks and Parsons with Kendricks and Clark on the nickel downs and Parsons as the DPR.

Overview​

A highly disruptive, athletic specimen with the pass-rush potential to effortlessly emerge as a double-digit sack producer. Is far from a finished product and his best football is still ahead of him, yet he plays the game with more of an offensive temperament and could require some patience. Is the type of rare athlete that could even contribute as an offensive playmaker once he learns to grasp defensive concepts and the game slows down for him. A top-10 talent.

Strengths​

Exceptional take-off speed, acceleration and closing burst. Makes plays effortlessly in back-side lateral pursuit. Outstanding recovery quickness to make plays (when he is out of position). Explosive striker. Can produce "wow" plays when he triggers quickly or releases cleanly and has developed a reputation for knocking quarterbacks out of games (see USC, 2012 and New Mexico State, 2013).

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/anthony-barr/32004241-5255-0678-26cd-58fd8ece815f

I think any and every down that Parsons is Not being directed to the opposition's backfield, and used more as an off ball LB .. is a major loss and minus for us.

That's like Lawrence Taylor being used as an off ball, LB for coverage and pursuit.

Like Von Miller in his prime, i think it will have to be a specialized scheme that splits him as a edge rusher and blitzing LB in a 4-3 scheme.

It's up to the new DC - Maybe Zimm will diverse as a hybrid between 4 man and 3 man fronts (he's coached in 3-4 scheme in past)
But at 240 or even 250 pounds, we cannot constantly expose him to 350 lb OTs on an every down basis.

It's gonna eventually catch up, wear him down and bring on eventually physical injuries - ala bad backs of Haley and Ware.
And then just like DWare, we'd have to eventually trade or cut him per rapid decline.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
Don't have a problem with fans being optimistic, nothing wrong with that.....only if they perceive those who are more realistic are haters and negative influencers. We're all fans, just some more critical than others when it comes to the team. On paper everything can look fantastic, so optimism can run higher than expected. But it ain't always that way most of the time.

Personally i am optimistic with the defense, but pessimistic on the offense. Gonna be a tough year.

quickccc

Reaction score

There is hope. IMO
Thanks for Sharing ...

PLUS
QB
Dak was 2nd in entire NFL in MVP voting ..and that includes the like of Josh Allen ... Brock Purdy, .. even over Pat Mahomes (best QB in NFL, imo)
yes, it's a regular season award - but it's still says much of a core and source, and hes' stat- performed very well under 2 different play callers
Rush proved a capable backup a couple of years ago, and we have unproven project Lance in waiting.

WR: Lamb is easily among the elite WRs in NFL. Terrific natural, instincts with great RAC skills; Cooks is still fast, and RAC skills but he is also greatly mis-used
under McCarthy offense- Mac ignored him first half, and later half used BC more as Possession instead deep threat/splash guy, imo.
Tolbert jury still out; i see Gallup like WR - battle contested type WR, imo. Brooks also unknown; Team only one WR in 30 visitee-list ?

- OL still has two quality performers in Tyler and Martin, although major question with 3 other roles at LT, C, and RT. And what about backup depth ?
Bass, Hoffman, Richards, and Chumba (again?) Not fond of OL coach here its a total wait-see here.

RB - Sorry but under these current coaches i expect same - poor run scheme and zero RBs in pass game - look for a more physical pounder than splash
in rookie RB class.
TE- So long as Fergy remains healthy- we will be in good shape. Will eventually be in pro bowl, great knack for pass game & RAC skills.
Schoon maybe a str8-liner, who does not have great RAC skills and hits ground too easily vs pass. Stephen is project with promising skills.
FB - we still don't have a true FB, Hunter Loop is more big RB than hard FB ...

SPECIAL TEAMS - should/will be a great strength with 2 great kickers,..a proven returner ..and CJ Goodwin returning- and Bones is among very best SP coaches
in NFL. Need a backup returner if Turpin gets hurt ( Cook ?)

DL - Gonna be a very sore spot with departure of Hankins, Fowler and Armstrong gone ... Mazi gonna be an unknown, no vet here, Williams gonna be thrust into starting role- only have DLaw, Osa as proven. - Where's da depth ? Golston is JAG a tweener, Carl Davis is JAG too and i just don't see us stopping the run with this.

LB - it's about health, age, and JAG in this group - Overshown will have ACL-recover year, Hendricks is a band-aid in decline physically, and Clark is JAG who never makes big plays. i still like Bell as more nickel- LB than safety- Will big help come in the draft ?

DBs - Diggs returns in a ACL recover year when at top form again ? Bland will man the other side, will improve even more so. with Harris/Zimm as coaches.
Lewis remains pure slot guy but No depth at all in backup CBs ... Scott ? Wright ? uugh ? hooker was just okay, Kearse took major step back,
and Izzy did not advance at all, could Thomas emerge as new starter ?

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
Did the optimism with this post and I think it’s spot on. One of the other things that gives me hope is that if it’s a complete fail a lot of key pieces we’ve complained about likely won’t be here next year.

However, I got a feeling that MM keeps the ship together and gets an extension. Just a hunch.

morasp

Reaction score
I think any and every down that Parsons is Not being directed to the opposition's backfield, and used more as an off ball LB .. is a major loss and minus for us.

That's like Lawrence Taylor being used as an off ball, LB for coverage and pursuit.

Like Von Miller in his prime, i think it will have to be a specialized scheme that splits him as a edge rusher and blitzing LB in a 4-3 scheme.

It's up to the new DC - Maybe Zimm will diverse as a hybrid between 4 man and 3 man fronts (he's coached in 3-4 scheme in past)
But at 240 or even 250 pounds, we cannot constantly expose him to 350 lb OTs on an every down basis.

It's gonna eventually catch up, wear him down and bring on eventually physical injuries - ala bad backs of Haley and Ware.
And then just like DWare, we'd have to eventually trade or cut him per rapid decline.
I honestly don't know because we haven't really seen him in that role very much and he only played two years in college. If he could develop the recognition on running plays for blocking schemes and run fits he would be pretty outstanding in the role and still be a pass rusher on passing downs. It could also be some sort of a run first key with a delayed blitz on pass plays. With his speed he could highly effective at it.

glimmerman

Reaction score

There is hope. IMO
Losing Hankins over a 2 million dollar deal is a head scratcher for me. 2 million is nothing for a player that could do his job and help stop the run. Was a dumb move. Our new DC wants big guys in the middle. I hope he had a plan. We could have kept Gallup for another year, was taking him longer to recover. Gilmore maybe wanted to much not sure. We will see about Diggs, it’s a big ask to come off the injury and be himself this fast. Losing Fowler and Armstrong is a tough one. We needed edge rushers and if Sam don’t come out swinging then Parsons will be needed more than I like. We will get a RB. If our O-Line is not fixed then JJ is setting Dak up to fail again. He was running for his life to much last season and had no run game to rely on. Lamb could hold out and if he is I wish he would say so. Let’s get him signed.

erod

Reaction score

There is hope. IMO
Ok, well that team got curb-stomped by Jordan Love and a very average defense.

1942willys

Reaction score
Losing Hankins over a 2 million dollar deal is a head scratcher for me. 2 million is nothing for a player that could do his job and help stop the run. Was a dumb move. Our new DC wants big guys in the middle. I hope he had a plan. We could have kept Gallup for another year, was taking him longer to recover. Gilmore maybe wanted to much not sure. We will see about Diggs, it’s a big ask to come off the injury and be himself this fast. Losing Fowler and Armstrong is a tough one. We needed edge rushers and if Sam don’t come out swinging then Parsons will be needed more than I like. We will get a RB. If our O-Line is not fixed then JJ is setting Dak up to fail again. He was running for his life to much last season and had no run game to rely on. Lamb could hold out and if he is I wish he would say so. Let’s get him signed.
I agree Hankins is the one that truly looks just plain dumb no matter which direction you come from. $2million is NOTHING. The man was doing a good job and now we have a hole there.