Why I like McCarthy more than Garrett

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Mike is leagues better than Garrett, that's a given.

But watching his press conferences, I like Mike much more than I expected to. He's that sort of alpha male type without being a jerk about it. It's clear from his answers that he has clear ideas about how he wants his team to look and play. He's pretty detailed and direct with his answers up to the point where he thinks he might be giving something away... Much better than the old garbage of, "We're going to be the best versions of ourselves" or "We're just trying to have the best Thursday practice we can have."

Again, I don't really see why so many are so down on him, because I'm more impressed with him than I thought I'd be.

I hope it's not because of anything Rodgers says, because that diva always looks to blame someone other than himself.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
well rogers hasn't gotten a ring without big mike so your logic is ludicrous... If you're judging mike by a few bad calls or oversights your neglecting to watch other coaches make similar boneheaded calls week to week... Big Mike will make us the best we've been since parcells, he knows what winning looks like... Chill man..
lol sure it was. People talk like he wins the Super Bowl every year or you don’t need a D or a coach who can scheme and prepare a team! How many championships Rodgers have since?
We can agree to disagree sir

75boyz

Reaction score
Yeah,
Put me in the neither category.

One was given a job that he didn't earn.

The other makes questionable decisions expected of maybe, a rookie coach. Or even worse than most rookie coach decisions actually.

So neither for me.

jmo

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
Yeah, I dont think McCarthy is much of an upgrade....certainly not in the in game decision making practice. Maybe he is better with the coordinators and assistants. Philbin seems to be doing a good job with the OL. Quinn seems to have the guys on the same page for the most part.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
All Rodgers. I saw Rodgers do a hard count on the 5 yard line. Collinsworth was talking about how rare that is. Rodgers created what you thought were coaching advantages. Give Garrett Rodgers and he prob squeezes out a ring too.

If Garrett had Rogers those hard counts that Rogers does will be snuffed out. He would make Rogers nothing more than a pocket passer. And Garrett still won't make it to the playoffs.

johneric8

Reaction score
We can agree to disagree sir
No biggie man, I know you have forged your opinion, but facts don't really solidify the argument one way or the other.. I guess I don't see why so many have a hard time seeing that big mike is very capable overall as a coach.. If anything, his team building skills and structure will make us better.. The freckled puppet was as bad a campo.

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
I'm just glad we don't have to watch him clap Everytime we make a boneheaded play like a turnover

blueblood70

Reaction score
well rogers hasn't gotten a ring without big mike so your logic is ludicrous... If you're judging mike by a few bad calls or oversights your neglecting to watch other coaches make similar boneheaded calls week to week... Big Mike will make us the best we've been since parcells, he knows what winning looks like... Chill man..
:hammer:

blueblood70

Reaction score
I know-whoever though Jimmy Johnson would make a good NFL coach should be banned from the game. Pete Carroll, Bill Walsh, Jim Harbaugh-what the heck were these people thinking making them NFL coaches.
yeah its a gamble but I really think Riley would be better than MM

first off lets stop day dreaming LR is not in the nfl is he? you think he wants to be ? hes a stick tease hes using the threat of leaving for th nfl to get pay bumps..show me where he want to be a NFL HC? if he wanted to and is so great why hasnt any team went and backup up truckload of money and say please please please be our HC? they haven't, there good reason for that..i mean how many actual in person HC interviews has he done? 1 doubt it heard rumors of Dall interest but those are just that, rumors'..there are like 8 new NFL HC jobs open yearly where LR this god of all rumors'? the next Jimmy Johnson lol?

again, wake up live in reality LR was never an option and UM so far has doin e things in the off season and leading gup to game 1 that says hes just lie any other coach this place would have lost its mind when he brought in all HIS GUYS as coaches especially a controversial ones with baggage an he later caved on and let go with pressure, then bringing back tebo? gets RB late in the first instead of say OL/DL any other help as they and 1k rusher returning and i thought RB wasnt important in the first round....this pace says rbs are dime dozen and should be taken after rthe 3rd round and never paid..what happened to Entienne , oh right out for the year i believe, never played game..this place would be on fire..

get real other issues hes had shows hes green and MM was in fact was the better choice..

i have no doubt last season had UM beam our coach hes 1-15 and that being nice..

hes in the right place a team full of young college kids and maybe he turns it around but here with vet team in last years situation he would have most likely quit like Saban, patrino, and kelley and ran back to the NCAA where you have 90 players to choose from and are BMOC..

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I'm not convinced yet that McCarthy is the guy that can take us to the promised land, BUT I'll tell you one thing I appreciate. They set Terence Steele up for success. That dude was ready, and they gave him some help from time to time. You guys remember that Falcons game a couple of years ago? The worst game I can remember. They had some rookie out there, or free agent (I can't remember who it was) and Garrett and company just left him out there to fight for his life, and the Falcons had like 25 sacks that night. It was truly a nightmare. Steele's performance tells me McCarthy is a step up.
Ptsd from that Falcons game.
What a nightmare

Wichitaleafs

Reaction score
Don't get all the hate on McCarthy, to me they look like a prepared team that plays pretty well so far.
and neither McCarthy nor Moore could see the damn clock on that last drive, sure blame them, they coulda figured that out before the last drive but geez design a stadium where the clocks can easily be seen.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Looks like a guy who has the locker room to me. More intensity than Garrett too in locker room rallies.

So a team just has a great, exciting, last second victory and you are surprised to see them and the coach all pumped up? And based upon that 30 seconds you can determine how the locker room is?
Look, Big Mike is just like 28 other NFL coaches.... hes one of the guys. Hes lived football his entire life. Guess who never has the locker room???? Losing teams.

Can you name me 3 coaches that didnt have the locker room that were winning? Hes been in Dallas not even 2 years. Lets have 2 seasons that resemble his last 2 years in GB and then lets see what the locker room looks like.
Players always want to put the blame on the coaches when they lose games. They want to blame lack of "Creativity," for their lack of ability to block.

Winning cures all.... its that simple. But those that hated JG desperately want Mike to succeed, not just for the sake of the Cowboys, but so they can jump on here and say see, told to JG sucks and we needed a reaL COACH.

By the way, half of this board will say hes great the other have will say he sucks. Then there is the crowd that will point to Jerry ever saying anything about the team to the media and say see... Jerry is the coach and Mike is just a puppet. You can never please anyone around here.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Don't get all the hate on McCarthy, to me they look like a prepared team that plays pretty well so far.
and neither McCarthy nor Moore could see the damn clock on that last drive, sure blame them, they coulda figured that out before the last drive but geez design a stadium where the clocks can easily be seen.

You havent figured out by now that a large portion of society loves to sit around and be miserable all day everyday? Blame every politician, blame players, blame the coach... blame their dog for making them miserable.

Its become the American way and is magnified times 20 in here.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
So a team just has a great, exciting, last second victory and you are surprised to see them and the coach all pumped up? And based upon that 30 seconds you can determine how the locker room is?
Look, Big Mike is just like 28 other NFL coaches.... hes one of the guys. Hes lived football his entire life. Guess who never has the locker room???? Losing teams.

Can you name me 3 coaches that didnt have the locker room that were winning? Hes been in Dallas not even 2 years. Lets have 2 seasons that resemble his last 2 years in GB and then lets see what the locker room looks like.
Players always want to put the blame on the coaches when they lose games. They want to blame lack of "Creativity," for their lack of ability to block.

Winning cures all.... its that simple. But those that hated JG desperately want Mike to succeed, not just for the sake of the Cowboys, but so they can jump on here and say see, told to JG sucks and we needed a reaL COACH.

By the way, half of this board will say hes great the other have will say he sucks. Then there is the crowd that will point to Jerry ever saying anything about the team to the media and say see... Jerry is the coach and Mike is just a puppet. You can never please anyone around here.

Yes, 30 seconds, and I see a more engaged locker room. I saw enough Garrett locker room rallies to compare. I'm onboard with the train and this is a new young team. Forget the Garrett/Romo years. This is Big Mike/Dak's turn.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
McCarthy seems to function differently in his role as HC than Garrett did. McCarthy seems to be more of a CEO and allows his coordinators the freedom to be more in control of their domain. There are pros and cons to that approach. The DC and OC do well with that kind of freedom to coach. Our ST, however, suffers from the ST coordinator being given that much power.