CFZ Why I seriously doubt the eagles will win the NFC

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
In the last two decades, the teams that start red hot are almost never the ones who win a ring. Sure the e-girls are 9-0 but mark me down as a doubter they are the team of destiny.

My theory as to why teams that start hot have a very hard time winning the SB is this- the season is too long and the competition too close to maintain that level of dominance. The teams that win SBs the last two decades tend to be the ones who peak at the right time.

Evidence of my point- look at all the SB winners the last two decades that struggled at some point during the reg season:
  • 2021 Rams- were 6-4 after 10 games, then got hot all the way to the SB even though they did not have the coveted #1 seed. In fact, they were the #4 seed.
  • 2020 Bucs- were 7-5 after 12 games, did not win their division but were hot at the end of the season and it carried them all the way to a Lombardi. Btw, they were the #5 seed.
  • 2019 chiefs- were 6-4 after 10 games. Mahomes was only in his 3rd season and was still figuring out some things. Like the previous two teams, they got hot at the right time.
  • 2018 Pats- were 9-5 in early December that year and finished as the AFC’s #2 seed. But they won their last 5 games all the way to their last SB win.
  • 2015 broncos were 10-4 in December that year, including a stretch between early Nov to mid Dec where they were 3-4. But they got hot down the stretch winning their last 5 including the SB.
  • 2012 ravens were 9-5 in mid Dec and barely won their division. Again, they got hot at the right time.
This could go on….point is, the team that gets hot when it matters most is almost always the SB champ. Can the e-girls stay red hot all season? History says an emphatic NO.

You may be onto something, though you can never know for sure. The Eagles are an excellent team, but there's a lot of talent in the league. It can happen that a team basically steamrolls their way to the SB, but that doesn't happen as much. The '85 Bears come to mind. I honestly think if the Eagles do win the NFC East, they'll have an overconfidence problem, which will make them vulnerable in the playoffs. You can't cash in a great regular season record in a playoff game. The only thing that counts is if you can score more points than your opponent.

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
Well, the main reason I don't think the Eagles will win the NFC, is just that they haven't really played any good teams to test them.

Until they play the Bills or Chiefs....we won't know whether they are just a really good team, or a great team. But right now we don't know, as they haven't played/beaten a single respectable team that's capable of doing anything in the postseason all year.

I will say this though.... if WE can't win the SuperBowl, it would be funny to see them go undefeated and win the SuperBowl, and finally ruin it for those old dolphins players that pop the champaign every year an unbeaten team finally loses. Plus...if we have to see them win the SuperBowl, at least it keeps the respect in the NFC East, just like us and Washington did in the 80s and 90s way back when.

Dakota

Reaction score
Well, the main reason I don't think the Eagles will win the NFC, is just that they haven't really played any good teams to test them.

Until they play the Bills or Chiefs....we won't know whether they are just a really good team, or a great team. But right now we don't know, as they haven't played/beaten a single respectable team that's capable of doing anything in the postseason all year.

I will say this though.... if WE can't win the SuperBowl, it would be funny to see them go undefeated and win the SuperBowl, and finally ruin it for those old dolphins players that pop the champaign every year an unbeaten team finally loses. Plus...if we have to see them win the SuperBowl, at least it keeps the respect in the NFC East, just like us and Washington did in the 80s and 90s way back when.
The Jets played the Bills.

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
Except that the Eagles themselves won a SB 5 years ago after the hottest start in the league that year

I'm not saying that I think the Eagles will win, because I don't think they are good enough to win, but I'd much rather have HFA than not

This notion that amassing huge win totals and racing out to a huge lead well into November, how that's somehow a disadvantage and a sign that they will collapse later, is silly.

Like, if WE were 9-0 right now, and OUR team had no obvious glaring flaws, would WE be all "Oh no! It's almost Thanksgiving and we're still undefeated! This surely means we're doomed to failure!" No, we'd be prancing around and tooting our own horns like a bunch of bragging dandies.

Hahaha.... I swear, some of my fellow cowboy fans in here can put a spin on ANYTHING. Even if Eagles go 17-0 and win the SB 60-0, those guys will he saying "yeah, but all that undefeated season and SB ring proves is that they had an easy schedule, and that it will set them up for failure in 2023. JOKE IS ON THE EAGLES!!!!!"

hehehe, gotta love it

Dakota

Reaction score

We can end up with 3 NFCE playoff teams. Not so far fetched.

Jimbo123

Reaction score
Here is something that really bothers me. We won the division last year so we expect to see a schedule this year that is fitting of a division winner. The egirls however, did not finish in last place and in fact made the playoffs as a wild card team. How is it that they have the easiest schedule in the NFL and ours is one of hardest. This just doesn't make any sense. We would be 8-0 too if we had a schedule as easy as theirs.
What are you talking about? The Cowboys had the easiest schedule in the league.

Dakota

Reaction score
What are you talking about? The Cowboys had the easiest schedule in the league.
I already addressed this. I let my fandom cloud my vision. I guess I really wanted the egirls recent success to be attributed to an easy schedule. My bad.

Jimbo123

Reaction score
I already addressed this. I let my fandom cloud my vision. I guess I really wanted the egirls recent success to be attributed to an easy schedule. My bad.
Could it be that the Cowboys are 6-2 because they have the easiest schedule in the league? If they make the playoffs, they wouldn't be battle-tested against good teams. One and out.

erod

Reaction score
Not as ez as the Cowboy's schedule.
You're funny. The schedules are identical except for 3 games.

Dallas: Cincinnati, Tampa, LA Rams
Philly: Pittsburgh, Arizona, New Orleans

Try again.

Last edited:

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Here is something that really bothers me. We won the division last year so we expect to see a schedule this year that is fitting of a division winner. The egirls however, did not finish in last place and in fact made the playoffs as a wild card team. How is it that they have the easiest schedule in the NFL and ours is one of hardest. This just doesn't make any sense. We would be 8-0 too if we had a schedule as easy as theirs.

Eagles get to play Dallas twice while Dallas has to play the eagles

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You may be onto something, though you can never know for sure. The Eagles are an excellent team, but there's a lot of talent in the league. It can happen that a team basically steamrolls their way to the SB, but that doesn't happen as much. The '85 Bears come to mind. I honestly think if the Eagles do win the NFC East, they'll have an overconfidence problem, which will make them vulnerable in the playoffs. You can't cash in a great regular season record in a playoff game. The only thing that counts is if you can score more points than your opponent.
Very well said Rev.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score

I can't get behind this. We would never hear the end of it if one of our division foes went undefeated. Only the Cowboys are allowed to go 20-0.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I want to win every game but I don't like the odds of winning from here to the trophy. It's ok if we lose and it's ok if we don't win the division. But we do need to be playing really good ball and win everything in the post season.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
It's based on last year's record and order of finish. It is what it is. People need to stop whining about something that has been in place for years. And no, there is no guarantee that we would be 8-0 with their schedule. It is a week-to-week league. No one can predict now every single game will go. Every game is an independent event. No team runs the exact same plays in sequence.

Right. Strength of schedule does not take anything into account except the overall record of teams last year. It does not factor in what teams do in the off season, what the health of the team was last year or what happens to other teams during the current season. Like the Rams had an o-line that was in need of an LT upgrade, so they got Whitworth to come out of retirement, and fortunately for them, he stayed healthy all year and was still very good. If he'd been hurt a lot or played poorly, likely the Rams wouldn't have been as good as they were. This year, no Whitworth, and they're more like what they would have been last year but for him.

The best course of action is to ignore strength of schedule and act like every team you play is the 1992 Cowboys...