Why I think Collins replaces Free

Galian Beast

Reaction score
This could be my bias and desire shaping the narrative, but I think that as a promising young rookie you generally want them to start out and stick to the position that you want them to play.

If the Cowboys wanted the transition to be easier for Collins, they could have kept him at left guard and let him battle it out with Leary. They could have let Green and Weems fight it out at tackle until Free is ready to go.

I can't help but think that starting him out at Right Tackle early, something they know he has never done was about giving him the most amount of time to acclimate to the position and to push Free to the bench. It's hard enough to come into the league as a rookie, but to have to learn multiple positions? That's just not something you generally ask a player with a first round grade to do.

I think the best example of that is Byron Jones. There was talk about him playing safety and corner, but they've played him exclusively at corner. I think they would rather hedge on corner and at worst create better depth there than to play Jones at safety, and then last minute have a crisis at corner that he has to be thrown into. The same can be said for splitting time between the two positions.

They're playing Jones at corner in right now because that is the highest value position and it is the position that currently lacks the most depth. Does Carr take that pay cut? How will Claiborne look in training camp? Until those things are answered, Jones is most valuable at corner, despite the ideal situation playing him at safety.

I think the ideal situation may have had Collins at left guard, but tackle is certainly the more valuable position even on the right side. I hope Collins can win that spot and anchor it going forward.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
Believe me I'm all for moving on from Free, I just don't think they are that desperate to replace Free right now and Leary could be gone soon anyway. Although Collins can play RT, he could be dominant at guard.

We have been through this with Martin and now Collins, both could dominate at guard for the next 10 years, no reason to bother with that.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I disagree. I think Collins at right tackle will be a short term 'look' this year before he's moved to left guard. I think they've got a few candidates for right tackle, but fewer for guard. Weems is there now and Green was drafted as your swing tackle. I think what we'll see is Green getting more reps at right tackle and Collins getting more at guard.

I think now is the time for experimentation, but when it comes time to get serious, players will be moving to their expected positions. I remember something similar fine with Zack Martin a bit at center last year. Nothing wrong with working on a little position flexibility if you can, but I don't think you want to completely flip the techniques if a rookie trying to learn the NFL game.

And one other factor? Follow the money. Free was just paid $6 million guaranteed on a three year deal. Leary is making $500,000 and signed for just this year.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
Let's see what Collins has 1st in a few preseason games. If Free is horrible and Collins shines, okay.

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
Free just signed a three extension at starter money, he's playing right tackle.....don't get caught up into what position players play in OTA's, that's where you try things out, but rest assured when training camp starts at the end of July. Collins will be competing for the left guard spot with Leary.....Weems is the guy that this club need to move on from, he's been collecting free money from this organization for three years..... Gibson and Green will be battling for the backup swing tackle spot..

Dallas tried Tyron Smith at right tackle too, where is he now!!

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
yea, while Jones is more likely to play CB I wouldn't put too much stock into OTAs where Claiborne and Free are not full go's and Carr's contract has not been dealt with. Training camp will let us know because I doubt they move the rookies around there.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
This could be my bias and desire shaping the narrative, but I think that as a promising young rookie you generally want them to start out and stick to the position that you want them to play.

If the Cowboys wanted the transition to be easier for Collins, they could have kept him at left guard and let him battle it out with Leary. They could have let Green and Weems fight it out at tackle until Free is ready to go.

I can't help but think that starting him out at Right Tackle early, something they know he has never done was about giving him the most amount of time to acclimate to the position and to push Free to the bench. It's hard enough to come into the league as a rookie, but to have to learn multiple positions? That's just not something you generally ask a player with a first round grade to do.

I've always thought they would start him out at RT if given the chance because of Free's injury, because that transition will be more difficult for him than LG. I don't doubt that Dallas believes Collins could step in now at LG and hardly miss a beat, but what if Free isn't ready for the preseason or the season or this injury issue proves to be persistent?

Having Collins try to adjust to RT at the point where it becomes necessary wouldn't be the best way to handle switching sides for him. Having him learn it now gives Dallas the best chance to put its best five in the lineup when the season begins, whether that's because Collins beats out Free at RT, Free isn't ready or able to go or Collins beats out Leary at LG. The options with him knowing the RT spot are certainly better than having to start Weems or Green by default.

Let him learn the spot he isn't used to first, then let the competition begin.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Free just signed a three extension at starter money, he's playing right tackle.....don't get caught up into what position players play in OTA's, that's where you try things out, but rest assured when training camp starts at the end of July. Collins will be competing for the left guard spot with Leary.....Weems is the guy that this club need to move on from, he's been collecting free money from this organization for three years..... Gibson and Green will be battling for the backup swing tackle spot..

going from left to right or vice versa has more to do with foot work, not learning a new position

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
I don't think we can put too much into what happened at OTAs this week. Pretty sure they were trying many different things to get some tape on players and look at how different things work out.

NEODOG

44cowboys22
Reaction score
He may very well be our RT, but I still believe Green has the tools & background for be our FUTURE RT for years to come. It is his natural position, he was a 3rd pick which usually translate into 2yrs before starting.

I don't put much into what happens now....

lwehlers

Reaction score
I see Collins taking over for free next season. i think that he will need a year to get used to playing tackle in the nfl. now it would not surprise me if he has to play some games this year if injuries happen but i do not see him starting at the start of the season if everyone is healthy.

Kaiser

Reaction score

Great post, but my reaction is a little different.

They do play Collins at multiple positions because he still needs a lot of coaching and may not start. But off the bench he would be best backup at both RT and LG so they want him to know both positions.

Also if you think Collins best position is OG (I don't know, just speculating) but you like the RG you have and your RT is an aging veteran who missed 40% of last year's games and is coming off surgery - you have to be prepared for Collins to get snaps at RT no matter what.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score

His contract assures that he's on the team in 2015 and that's it really. He would be paid a lot of money in 2015 for a backup, but if the team feels Collins is the better player in 2015 at RT, they will not hesitate to play him.

CashMan

Reaction score

I think the best example of that is Byron Jones. There was talk about him playing safety and corner, but they've played him exclusively at corner. I think they would rather hedge on corner and at worst create better depth there than to play Jones at safety, and then last minute have a crisis at corner that he has to be thrown into. The same can be said for splitting time between the two positions.

They're playing Jones at corner in right now because that is the highest value position and it is the position that currently lacks the most depth. Does Carr take that pay cut? How will Claiborne look in training camp? Until those things are answered, Jones is most valuable at corner, despite the ideal situation playing him at safety.

I think the ideal situation may have had Collins at left guard, but tackle is certainly the more valuable position even on the right side. I hope Collins can win that spot and anchor it going forward.

Wasn't this covered here: http://cowboyszone.com/threads/best-5-offensive-linemen.323160/#post-6138095

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Great post, but my reaction is a little different.

They do play Collins at multiple positions because he still needs a lot of coaching and may not start. But off the bench he would be best backup at both RT and LG so they want him to know both positions.

Also if you think Collins best position is OG (I don't know, just speculating) but you like the RG you have and your RT is an aging veteran who missed 40% of last year's games and is coming off surgery - you have to be prepared for Collins to get snaps at RT no matter what.

I don't see him as a backup though.

I think the only reason people are entertaining him as a backup is his draft situation. If he is our first round draft pick, no one would be happy if he didn't start for us right away.

I don't see him as a worse prospect than any other player we have drafted on this line other than Smith. I think he is a Day 1 starter for us.

That leads me to ask where should he start, and the answer to me is definitely right tackle.

A lot of people have brought up Free's contract. It's actually not that significant.

6 million guaranteed -- Check

4.5 million dollar signing bonus -- Check

Leaves 1.5 million dollars left in guarantees. What is his base salary? 1.5 million.

In other words only his first year is guaranteed at a cost of 3 million dollars. Hardly breaking the bank.

Dead money for the next year is only 3 million dollars. Though I would say his cap hit for the year for a quality swing tackle isn't great. It would depend a lot on how Green develops.