Why I think Collins replaces Free

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
Romo values interior protection more than edge protection. That should tell you where Collins has more value to the team.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So, are you saying that because of his age, it is a given that Free gets injured this season? Or are you saying that you think Free isn't going to make a complete recovery?

I do agree that the swing tackle is an important position. However, I don't agree that Collins couldn't play RT after spending most of his time at LG. I have seen that switch, even by young guys, although I do agree with you that it isn't ideal.

If Free goes out for, say, 7 games, they could switch Collins to RT and put Leary back in at LG and let them practice there until Free returns. The first game where Free gets hurt might be challenging for Collins, or they might play Green there for the duration of that game, and then move Collins after that game and let him get a week's practice first.

I don't know that I'm right, but I could certainly see it happening that way, and it wouldn't be the first time a guard has moved to tackle mid-season.

I do know that you feel pretty strongly about what you're saying here and maybe you're right. I guess we will see in a couple of months.

Regardless of Free's issues, the backup OT spot is critical. They should do whatever it takes to maximize that position. Romo's health can't wait for a guy to adjust.

Even if Collins could practice at LG in TC and then move to RT during the season, he would not be as good as he would have been if he practiced at OT for all of TC. TC is a much better setting for learning than during the regular season. During the season the coaches are focused on game planning and the practices are limited. Players have to recover from games during the season and can't push themselves like they can in TC. I've heard it said that 1 week of TC practice is like 1 month of regular season practice.

Leary is a really good player. Even if Collins could win the LG position, he would not be significantly better as a rookie than Leary.

Collins represents great value as the backup OT. That is a critical spot and now that Parnell is gone, there is no proven player there. If Collins is better than Green/Weems, then he should be the backup OT, IMO.

Green/Weems are a huge part of the decision. If one of them is as good as Collins at OT, then putting Collins at Guard makes sense.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Romo values interior protection more than edge protection. That should tell you where Collins has more value to the team.

Leary is a really good player. It is doubtful that there is much if any improvement in 2015 from having the rookie Collins replace Leary. Collins probably has better physical attributes but as a rookie also will also make some mistakes.

Collins could eventually better a better Guard, but as a rookie it will be basically break even between him or Leary.

On the flip side, they have no established backup OT now that Parnell is gone. It is possible that the difference between Collins and Green as the backup OT could be very significant. With Free's injuries issues and age, they need to plan as if they backup OT will definitely have to start.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Regardless of Free's issues, the backup OT spot is critical. They should do whatever it takes to maximize that position. Romo's health can't wait for a guy to adjust.

Even if Collins could practice at LG in TC and then move to RT during the season, he would not be as good as he would have been if he practiced at OT for all of TC. TC is a much better setting for learning than during the regular season. During the season the coaches are focused on game planning and the practices are limited. Players have to recover from games during the season and can't push themselves like they can in TC. I've heard it said that 1 week of TC practice is like 1 month of regular season practice.

The team does like for players to know other positions in their unit and they think it helps with knowing your own position. I have heard them talking about practicing a guy at CB and letting him learn their responsibilities before focusing on safety and the responsibilities of that position. Maybe they feel the same way along the OL. I know Martin practiced some at center last year for a few days. They let Tyron Smith take some reps at guard his first year.

Plus, Collins would have all of training camp to practice in this scheme, on this OL, with these players and these coaches. He would still be learning how they do things, and working on his hand placement, footwork and tempo. So, it wouldn't be like bringing him off the street into the RT spot. He would have been practicing with that OL for all of camp.

I have heard a player switching from one side to the other, or from G to tackle say that it is still football and that what they do isn't that different at any of the spots.

However, Smith and Martin did end up focusing almost entirely on their starting positions through camp, as you are saying is best... so I don't completely disagree with your view. I'm just giving another angle on what they might do with Collins.

A lot of what I'm saying is with the assumption that the team really does like Green a good bit, and that I think they feel like he could be a decent RT if forced to play.

Leary is a really good player. Even if Collins could win the LG position, he would not be significantly better as a rookie than Leary.

I remember hearing some people saying about the same thing about Martin and Bernadeau. Some thought that Martin had a much higher ceiling than Bernadeau, but wouldn't significantly outplay him as a raw rookie. Clearly he did. His tools were just much better than Bernadeau's.

I do like Leary, but I also think Collins' traits are considerably better than his. He has the right demeanor to come in and play well early. IMO, it wouldn't be shocking for Collins to be an upgrade over Leary in year 1.

But to be fair, it wouldn't be shocking if it was the other way around either.

Collins represents great value as the backup OT. That is a critical spot and now that Parnell is gone, there is no proven player there. If Collins is better than Green/Weems, then he should be the backup OT, IMO.

I do know the team values the back up tackle position... but some would say by them drafting an OT with their 3rd round pick, they are giving the position its due. All the time there are teams that draft players in the 3rd round with the thought of them coming in and starting right away... or at least contributing immediately. It doesn't always work out that way, of course, but I certainly don't think it is unreasonable for the team to feel like their 3rd round OT can play well enough to be a back-up.

So, if they do trust that pick... then they very well could want LG to be the winner between Collins and Leary.

Throw in the fact that I think the team paid Free his money to be a starting RT for a couple more season precisely because they like how he plays the game, and it wouldn't shock me to see them want to let Collins compete with Leary to see early action.

Anyway... really, the team could go either way with this, and neither one would surprise me... nor upset me. I completely trust them to make a good decision on where Collins plays. I am just about in wait and see mode with this, so I think I'm just going to watch the show when camp kicks off.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
This could be my bias and desire shaping the narrative, but I think that as a promising young rookie you generally want them to start out and stick to the position that you want them to play.

If the Cowboys wanted the transition to be easier for Collins, they could have kept him at left guard and let him battle it out with Leary. They could have let Green and Weems fight it out at tackle until Free is ready to go.

I can't help but think that starting him out at Right Tackle early, something they know he has never done was about giving him the most amount of time to acclimate to the position and to push Free to the bench. It's hard enough to come into the league as a rookie, but to have to learn multiple positions? That's just not something you generally ask a player with a first round grade to do.

I think the best example of that is Byron Jones. There was talk about him playing safety and corner, but they've played him exclusively at corner. I think they would rather hedge on corner and at worst create better depth there than to play Jones at safety, and then last minute have a crisis at corner that he has to be thrown into. The same can be said for splitting time between the two positions.

They're playing Jones at corner in right now because that is the highest value position and it is the position that currently lacks the most depth. Does Carr take that pay cut? How will Claiborne look in training camp? Until those things are answered, Jones is most valuable at corner, despite the ideal situation playing him at safety.

I think the ideal situation may have had Collins at left guard, but tackle is certainly the more valuable position even on the right side. I hope Collins can win that spot and anchor it going forward.
Free is the leader of the offensive line. I think he stays 1st string baring injury because of that.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The team does like for players to know other positions in their unit and they think it helps with knowing your own position. I have heard them talking about practicing a guy at CB and letting him learn their responsibilities before focusing on safety and the responsibilities of that position. Maybe they feel the same way along the OL. I know Martin practiced some at center last year for a few days. They let Tyron Smith take some reps at guard his first year.

Plus, Collins would have all of training camp to practice in this scheme, on this OL, with these players and these coaches. He would still be learning how they do things, and working on his hand placement, footwork and tempo. So, it wouldn't be like bringing him off the street into the RT spot. He would have been practicing with that OL for all of camp.

I have heard a player switching from one side to the other, or from G to tackle say that it is still football and that what they do isn't that different at any of the spots.

However, Smith and Martin did end up focusing almost entirely on their starting positions through camp, as you are saying is best... so I don't completely disagree with your view. I'm just giving another angle on what they might do with Collins.

A lot of what I'm saying is with the assumption that the team really does like Green a good bit, and that I think they feel like he could be a decent RT if forced to play.

I remember hearing some people saying about the same thing about Martin and Bernadeau. Some thought that Martin had a much higher ceiling than Bernadeau, but wouldn't significantly outplay him as a raw rookie. Clearly he did. His tools were just much better than Bernadeau's.

I do like Leary, but I also think Collins' traits are considerably better than his. He has the right demeanor to come in and play well early. IMO, it wouldn't be shocking for Collins to be an upgrade over Leary in year 1.

But to be fair, it wouldn't be shocking if it was the other way around either.

I do know the team values the back up tackle position... but some would say by them drafting an OT with their 3rd round pick, they are giving the position its due. All the time there are teams that draft players in the 3rd round with the thought of them coming in and starting right away... or at least contributing immediately. It doesn't always work out that way, of course, but I certainly don't think it is unreasonable for the team to feel like their 3rd round OT can play well enough to be a back-up.

So, if they do trust that pick... then they very well could want LG to be the winner between Collins and Leary.

Throw in the fact that I think the team paid Free his money to be a starting RT for a couple more season precisely because they like how he plays the game, and it wouldn't shock me to see them want to let Collins compete with Leary to see early action.

Anyway... really, the team could go either way with this, and neither one would surprise me... nor upset me. I completely trust them to make a good decision on where Collins plays. I am just about in wait and see mode with this, so I think I'm just going to watch the show when camp kicks off.

I'm certain that Collins and Green will take some snaps at multiple spots Guard/Tackle Right/Left. As you said, Martin took a few snaps at Center last season. Green has already taken some snaps at both LG and OT.

The preseason games are big for rookies. They normally have rookie OL play at their most likely spot in the preseason games. If Collins plays Guard in the preseason games, then he does not get that experience at Tackle.

Somebody else mentioned the Martin/Berndeau upgrade; however, Martin was an All-Pro as a rookie which is extremely rare. Some people said at this time last year that Bernadeau would beat out Leary to start at LG and I laughed. Leary is a much better player than Bernadeau and that's coming from someone that thinks Bernadeau is a very good backup.

It is a good problem to have because Collins is basically a bonus player that only ended up on the team due to a fluke.

I think Green is a good player and I'm still interested to see Weems in TC. It's possible that Green is the one that ends up at Guard with Collins at Tackle. They have very similar measurable(s) with Green weighing 9 pounds more. Some reports said Green needed to get stronger, but his bench reps were identical to Collins and his vert was 2-1/2 inches better. Their height and arm length are basically identical. Their forty times were basically the same with Collins having a little better times in the agility drills (3-cone, SS). Based on the agility measurable(s) and Green being heavier, on paper Collins looks more like the OT and Green the OG.

guag

Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix 01
Reaction score
If he is our first round draft pick, no one would be happy if he didn't start for us right away.

I don't think Byron Smith is going to start right away and I'm fine with that.

guag

Reaction score

Exactly. That's why I think we should leave Leary at that spot for now (assuming he looks good in TC). Let Collins get experience at both spots, but assume that Free won't be ready for the start of TC and give Collins most of his work at RT.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
I'm certain that Collins and Green will take some snaps at multiple spots Guard/Tackle Right/Left. As you said, Martin took a few snaps at Center last season. Green has already taken some snaps at both LG and OT.

The preseason games are big for rookies. They normally have rookie OL play at their most likely spot in the preseason games. If Collins plays Guard in the preseason games, then he does not get that experience at Tackle.

Somebody else mentioned the Martin/Berndeau upgrade; however, Martin was an All-Pro as a rookie which is extremely rare. Some people said at this time last year that Bernadeau would beat out Leary to start at LG and I laughed. Leary is a much better player than Bernadeau and that's coming from someone that thinks Bernadeau is a very good backup.

It is a good problem to have because Collins is basically a bonus player that only ended up on the team due to a fluke.

I think Green is a good player and I'm still interested to see Weems in TC. It's possible that Green is the one that ends up at Guard with Collins at Tackle. They have very similar measurable(s) with Green weighing 9 pounds more. Some reports said Green needed to get stronger, but his bench reps were identical to Collins and his vert was 2-1/2 inches better. Their height and arm length are basically identical. Their forty times were basically the same with Collins having a little better times in the agility drills (3-cone, SS). Based on the agility measurable(s) and Green being heavier, on paper Collins looks more like the OT and Green the OG.

We shall see soon enough.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Free is the leader of the offensive line. I think he stays 1st string baring injury because of that.
I don't think Byron Smith is going to start right away and I'm fine with that.

I think it depends on what happens in training camp and what happens with Carr. If Carr returns at a diminished cost, I think Smith becomes a day 1 starter at free safety. If Carr doesn't return, I think Jones becomes a day 1 starter at cornerback.

guag

Reaction score
I think it depends on what happens in training camp and what happens with Carr. If Carr returns at a diminished cost, I think Smith becomes a day 1 starter at free safety. If Carr doesn't return, I think Jones becomes a day 1 starter at cornerback.

Lol I accidentally called him Byron Smith and it seems I tripped you up as well. :)

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

They have 3 All Pros on the OL and Fred is not on of them.

How does a non-pro-bowl, non-all-pro lead a group of all-pros? Is he there just to lead the 1 other non-all-pro?

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
They have 3 All Pros on the OL and Fred is not on of them.

How does a non-pro-bowl, non-all-pro lead a group of all-pros? Is he there just to lead the 1 other non-all-pro?

Leadership goes along way. He may not be an all-around himself but his leadership enables the others to excel. Chemistry is extremely important

Manster68

Reaction score
I am really hoping Chaz Green will step up and deliver as a replacement for Free; and Collins will utilize his power in the middle of the line between Frederick and Tyron Smith.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Leadership goes along way. He may not be an all-around himself but his leadership enables the others to excel. Chemistry is extremely important

so what is your source on this 'leadership'? Goose? or some other 'reliable' source?