Why I think Johnny Football might be worth a look

65fastback2plus2

Reaction score
One thing I've learned about football players is the dumb ones never get smarter. I'd pass because of that.

csirl

Reaction score
Doesn't have the passing skills to start in the NFL. Doesn't matter how good an 'athlete' he is or what he can do with his legs. The NFL is a passing league and QBs need to have elite passing skills. Could say the same about RG3.

Sydla

Reaction score
Before everyone runs me out of here just think about it. He is young, dumb and you know what. You have to admit he has elite skills although we have just seen glimpses at this level. He is smart, has a good arm, and can scramble. He is on a terrible team that has been bad for QB's. I think the guy can be good, really good. It may take a couple of years but someone is going to get a good QB. I know now is a terrible time to bring this up due to how his career is going but something tells me he's going to come back with another team and do really well. Now, bash away........Oh, when he does, I'm not the type to say I told u so. But I'm keeping up with this post just in case.

He doesn't have "elite" skills.

So no.

Aggie87

Reaction score
He is smart, has a good arm, and can scramble.

I watched every single game he played at A&M. I loved him at A&M, and don't think we'll ever see another player quite like him.

He does have a decent arm, and he can scramble. His strengths are improvising and throwing on the run. A&M basically threw out their play book when they started figuring out what they had in Manziel, and simply let him play street ball.

I am not sure I ever saw anything in his play that convinced me he is smart though. That is clear with how he plays at Cleveland on the relatively few times he actually gets to play. And it's clear with his off-field issues, repeatedly making mistakes that others learn from and stop doing.

I do think he can become a serviceable NFL QB, if given the opportunity to start and develop without the constant concern of being yanked for making a mistake. Like Jameis Winston is being allowed to do in TB. They've toyed with Manziel too much in Cleveland and aren't allowing him to play himself into a decent QB.

robjay04

Reaction score
Well Manziel would be the best QB on our roster right now by quite a large margin.

Thing is, the contract. If we traded for him...he would have two years and an option. Romo is our undisputed starter for two more years based on his most recent restructure.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Before everyone runs me out of here just think about it. He is young, dumb and you know what. You have to admit he has elite skills although we have just seen glimpses at this level. He is smart, has a good arm, and can scramble. He is on a terrible team that has been bad for QB's. I think the guy can be good, really good. It may take a couple of years but someone is going to get a good QB. I know now is a terrible time to bring this up due to how his career is going but something tells me he's going to come back with another team and do really well. Now, bash away........Oh, when he does, I'm not the type to say I told u so. But I'm keeping up with this post just in case.

No he does not.

Mods, ban this guy immediately!

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Are u serious? Its just an opinion that some agree with. No need to get all upset and butt hurt.

I'm not butt hurt. If I was I would have been calling for a public execution. I was contemplating that though, I must be honest.

Sydla

Reaction score
There is no sound, rational, logical reason to look at Johnny Football unless of course, you are a Texas A&M fan as well.

8FOR!3

Reaction score
There is no sound, rational, logical reason to look at Johnny Football unless of course, you are a Texas A&M fan as well.

He's probably better than any QB on our team not named Tony Romo, and he's likely pretty cheap at this point so I get why it's logical. The non-Aggies fans are just as bias as the A&M fans that want him. The blind hatred for him is a lot greater than the pro-fans.

Cmac

Reaction score

He's been smeared with Cleveland....see Weeden and the long list.