Why is Carpenter playing inside?

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Alexander said:
Burnett will play inside in the nickel only from everything I have heard.

I think everyone will be shocked at how many different looks we will throw at opposing teams.

We have an embarassing set of riches at the position, yet there is concern that one of the innovators of the 3-4 defense might not have a good idea what to do with them. Have a little faith.

:hammer:

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
Carp played OLB in the scrimmage and had 2 sacks

He played ILB in the scrimmage (pretty sure anyway).

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Rack said:
He played ILB in the scrimmage (pretty sure anyway).

He also had three sacks, not two according to the unofficial statistics.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Carpenter, IMO, has better instincts for ILB. Actually, I think he would be an unbelievable MLB. Doesn't really matter. Coming out, the book on him is either one, ILB or OLB. I also believe that BP would like to flip LBs and move them around a bit. Really, Burnett, Ayodele, James, and Carpenter can all play inside or outside. Shanle and Fowler can probably also play either but to what degrees, I'm not certain. The only one's who are probably a bit limited are Ellis and Ware. Both are probably strickly OLBs.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
Carpenter, IMO, has better instincts for ILB. Actually, I think he would be an unbelievable MLB. Doesn't really matter. Coming out, the book on him is either one, ILB or OLB. I also believe that BP would like to flip LBs and move them around a bit. Really, Burnett, Ayodele, James, and Carpenter can all play inside or outside. Shanle and Fowler can probably also play either but to what degrees, I'm not certain. The only one's who are probably a bit limited are Ellis and Ware. Both are probably strickly OLBs.

I think we will see the LB's moved around to give different looks. I saw an interview a year or so ago with the Commanders tackle Jon Jansen and he was asked about NE defense and the difficulty playing against them and he was saying the hardest thing is you never know who is going to be lined up across from you. These guys study film to break down the weakness of the guy they will be going up against but when you’re playing a team who will throw different guys and different looks at you it is difficult to prepare for it.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
I think we will see the LB's moved around to give different looks. I saw an interview a year or so ago with the Commanders tackle Jon Jansen and he was asked about NE defense and the difficulty playing against them and he was saying the hardest thing is you never know who is going to be lined up across from you. These guys study film to break down the weakness of the guy they will be going up against but when you’re playing a team who will throw different guys and different looks at you it is difficult to prepare for it.

http://cowboyszone.com/forums/showpost.php?p=959020&postcount=39

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
I really don't see the big deal with putting Carpenter on the inside. It's not like that's an inferior position, as a matter of fact, that's a great position. With so many people worrying about the outside rush, Carp and James, and some of the safeties can slip right up the middle for tons of sacks.

I mentioned back in Janurary that I thought we should draft Carpenter and Ahmad Brooks (before they found out he was going back to school) and I mentioned they should move Carpenter to the inside.

You will all see how great it is to play inside when you are very talented, and your outside guys are dominant.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Clove said:
I really don't see the big deal with putting Carpenter on the inside. It's not like that's an inferior position, as a matter of fact, that's a great position. With so many people worrying about the outside rush, Carp and James, and some of the safeties can slip right up the middle for tons of sacks.

I mentioned back in Janurary that I thought we should draft Carpenter and Ahmad Brooks (before they found out he was going back to school) and I mentioned they should move Carpenter to the inside.

You will all see how great it is to play inside when you are very talented, and your outside guys are dominant.

mad props for that, I was one of those who doubted