Why is Carpenter playing inside?

AbeBeta

Reaction score
ConcordCowboy said:
Yep...People thinking otherwise are kidding themselves.

so if that's going to be the case then why is Ellis out there covering slot receivers?

reps are important -- why take them away from someone who might actually be trying to cover a slot receiver during a game?

wileedog

Reaction score
abersonc said:
Gregg is playing OLB with the first unit right now. He's getting most of the snaps and doing things that he wouldn't have to if he weren't starting.

I totally understand the move if he's going to be a SITUATIONAL OLB but as the starter he's going to have to cover at least a few time a game. Obviously the chess match involves not having him in coverage too often.

The position calls for some coverage. I doubt strongly that other positions are going to roll into coverage in situations where the OLB would normally have the guy - it creates too many holes in other spots. The defense would simply be torn apart if they had to excuse Gregg from coverage against various schemes.

I'll say it again, it is the media that has annointed him as a 3 down starting LBer. In Ellis' radio interview today he said that Bill "doesn't want to put him in situations where he has to worry about covering much" and that he wants to "keep him fresh to get after the QB."

That doesn't sound like a 3 down LBer to me. You?

He's getting all the reps with the first team now because he needs them. As pre-season wears on and if he continues to improve I think we will see a shift more towards what we are likely to see in the regular season. Might even be Carpenter back on the outside, just for Concorde Cowboy :)

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
abersonc said:
so if that's going to be the case then why is Ellis out there covering slot receivers?

reps are important -- why take them away from someone who might actually be trying to cover a slot receiver during a game?

Like Carpenter..who is the future? I don't know.

wileedog

Reaction score
abersonc said:
To see if he can. Doesn't sound like they thought he would do this well this fast, so if there is enough improvement, suddenly you don't have to scheme as much to keep Ellis out of coverage, which only increases your flexibility.

Because we are a week and a half into TC?

Carpenter is as polished as they come out of college and obviously knows how to play OLB in a 3-4. He's getting valuable experience inside which increases the opportunities to get on the field while Ellis gets comfortable.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
abersonc said:
What is your problem Rack?

I start a thread that has folks talking about something other than TO or some ridiculous trade and you call it complaining.

I don't have a problem. You're just looking for something that isn't there. It's obvious why Carpenter is at ILB. And, as I said, if Ellis and Singleton at OLB were such a problem, Carpenter wouldn't of been moved inside.

Carpenter is contributing MORE then expected (learning ILB and OLB) yet you're complaining. Ellis is doing BETTER then expected at OLB, yet you're complaining.

Am I gonna have to rename you "bbgun 2"?

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
wileedog said:
To see if he can. Doesn't sound like they thought he would do this well this fast, so if there is enough improvement, suddenly you don't have to scheme as much to keep Ellis out of coverage, which only increases your flexibility.

Because we are a week and a half into TC?

Carpenter is as polished as they come out of college and obviously knows how to play OLB in a 3-4. He's getting valuable experience inside which increases the opportunities to get on the field while Ellis gets comfortable.

So polished that he doesn't need to practice there after only a week and a half?

I don't agree.

If you are going to move him inside OK...But if he is going to play Outside and that WAS what they Drafted him for...Regardless of Ellis..Then he needs the reps outside.

wileedog

Reaction score
ConcordCowboy said:
So polished that he doesn't need to practice there after only a week and a half?

I don't agree.

If you are going to move him inside OK...But if he is going to play Outside and that WAS what they Drafted him for...Regardless of Ellis..Then he needs the reps outside.

We don't know where Carpenter is at. He is supposedly a film junkie, and he played inside outside and even DE in school. He's obviously someone who picks up things quickly.

If the cost of having Ellis be a more complete Lber and not having to change a lot of things you do when he is in the game is Carpenter getting a couple weeks worth of practice at another position, (which only makes him more valuable), you do it.

Carpenter isn't Ware learning a new position and LBer is a position many kids come in and contribute immediately at - it's not rocket science. If the Ellis experiment works, it makes this defense that more scary, and in that case I think its worth Carp losing some reps at a position he's already extremely comfortable with.

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
wileedog said:
We don't know where Carpenter is at. He is supposedly a film junkie, and he played inside outside and even DE in school. He's obviously someone who picks up things quickly.

If the cost of having Ellis be a more complete Lber and not having to change a lot of things you do when he is in the game is Carpenter getting a couple weeks worth of practice at another position, (which only makes him more valuable), you do it.

Carpenter isn't Ware learning a new position and LBer is a position many kids come in and contribute immediately at - it's not rocket science. If the Ellis experiment works, it makes this defense that more scary, and in that case I think its worth Carp losing some reps at a position he's already extremely comfortable with.

Well it's taken Bradie James a few years...And we really still don't know for sure if he's the real deal.

To me I just don't get the whole Ellis experiment...Could he be the next McGinest? Sure.

But the Cowboys drafted Carpenter to be the OLB opposite Ware...Why not give him EVERY opportunity at that position to improve himself?

Again I'm just not that enthused with the whole lets reincarnate Willie McGinest.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Rack said:
I don't have a problem. You're just looking for something that isn't there. It's obvious why Carpenter is at ILB. And, as I said, if Ellis and Singleton at OLB were such a problem, Carpenter wouldn't of been moved inside.

Carpenter is contributing MORE then expected (learning ILB and OLB) yet you're complaining. Ellis is doing BETTER then expected at OLB, yet you're complaining.

Am I gonna have to rename you "bbgun 2"?

Yes, Ellis is doing better than expected at OLB -- however, Ellis' own words today suggested that he wasn't going to be playing there as an every down guy. If this is the case, then I remain baffled as to why Ellis is getting all the first unit snaps, covering slot receivers, etc. Seems like if the guy isn't going to play there as a starter that maybe you'd want to give those snaps to Carpenter.

That says to me that Singleton is going to start at OLB. In the nickel, he'll be replaced by Ellis and James or Ayodele will come out for Carpenter. Ending up with Singleton starting doesn't strike me as an upgrade.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
ConcordCowboy said:
Well it's taken Bradie James a few years...And we really still don't know for sure if he's the real deal.

I think it is reasonable to expect that a first round pick should get it more quickly than a 4th rounder.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
abersonc said:
Yes, Ellis is doing better than expected at OLB -- however, Ellis' own words today suggested that he wasn't going to be playing there as an every down guy. If this is the case, then I remain baffled as to why Ellis is getting all the first unit snaps, covering slot receivers, etc. Seems like if the guy isn't going to play there as a starter that maybe you'd want to give those snaps to Carpenter.

That says to me that Singleton is going to start at OLB. In the nickel, he'll be replaced by Ellis and James or Ayodele will come out for Carpenter. Ending up with Singleton starting doesn't strike me as an upgrade.
I think we need more time before we can declare anyone the starter at LOLB. However, it does appear to be Ellis right now. Ellis was merely speculating about his playing time today. Actions are louder than words, and he's been getting every snap at first team LOLB.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
abersonc said:
I think it is reasonable to expect that a first round pick should get it more quickly than a 4th rounder.
Carpenter "gets it" right now, which is why he's able to play so many positions.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
theogt said:
I think we need more time before we can declare anyone the starter at LOLB. However, it does appear to be Ellis right now. Ellis was merely speculating about his playing time today. Actions are louder than words, and he's been getting every snap at first team LOLB.

from Ellis' comments -- stuff about Bill wanting to save him for pass rushing situations, etc. that would strongly suggest that the team is not thinking about starting him out there. although others disagree with me, if you put Ellis out there on 1st and 2nd downs, teams are going to try to get him isolated on a TE or RB - and he's going to get schooled if they can get that matchup. no matter how decent he adapts to it, he's going to have a hard time even getting a bump on faster players.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
theogt said:
Carpenter "gets it" right now, which is why he's able to play so many positions.

without seeing Carpenter at OLB, a position he's never really played in the 3-4, it is a leap of faith to say he gets it.

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
abersonc said:

If it's not rocket science...Why?:p:

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
theogt said:

I hope you're right, But you don't know that.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
theogt said:
I don't know it, but that's what Bill has expressly stated.

I think Bill stated that he doesn't like to move rookies around but Carpenter is smart and picks things up quickly -- allowing him to expose him to different assignments.

I'm pretty sure he never said that Carp already understood the OLB position.

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
theogt said:
I don't know it, but that's what Bill has expressly stated.

Well then he Must be right. By all means work him at Inside Linebacker because he " Gets It"...At Outside Linebacker.

I never knew Carpenter knew everything there was about OLB...Considering he's never played it in the Pro's.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
ConcordCowboy said:
Well then he Must be right. By all means work him at Inside Linebacker because he " Gets It"...At Outside Linebacker.

I never knew Carpenter knew everything there was about OLB...Considering he's never played it in the Pro's.

Even if we accept that he "gets it" does that really mean he doesn't need to practice there?

You know, a guy like Marco Rivera certainly "gets" how to play RG. He knows the position inside and out, perhaps as well as anyone in the league. Why then is he practicing at RG?