Why is Carpenter playing inside?

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
abersonc said:
Even if we accept that he "gets it" does that really mean he doesn't need to practice there?

You know, a guy like Marco Rivera certainly "gets" how to play RG. He knows the position inside and out, perhaps as well as anyone in the league. Why then is he practicing at RG?

How many time do I have to agree with you...And you still question me?:p:

I think IMO that Carpenter should be getting Many if not all the reps at OLB.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
ConcordCowboy said:
How many time do I have to agree with you...And you still question me?:p:

I think IMO that Carpenter should be getting Many if not all the reps at OLB.

I wasn't questioning you -- just piling on to further drive home the point.

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
abersonc said:
I wasn't questioning you -- just piling on to further drive home the point.

Hey I'm with you...I think IMO that Carpenter should be getting the reps.

Ellis doesn't even want to be here and he's NOT the Future...Carpenter is!

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
abersonc said:
Even if we accept that he "gets it" does that really mean he doesn't need to practice there?

You know, a guy like Marco Rivera certainly "gets" how to play RG. He knows the position inside and out, perhaps as well as anyone in the league. Why then is he practicing at RG?
Please stop putting words into my mouth. He's getting reps at ILB because Ellis is coming along so well at OLB. I don't see why this is so hard to comprehend. I know you're a smart fella.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
theogt said:
Please stop putting words into my mouth. He's getting reps at ILB because Ellis is coming along so well at OLB. I don't see why this is so hard to comprehend. I know you're a smart fella.

It is hard to comprehend because Ellis said today that Bill was going to save him for passing downs -- so if he's playing nickel mostly then why is he getting all the first team snaps in the base D? I just find it odd given his comments today.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
abersonc said:
It is hard to comprehend because Ellis said today that Bill was going to save him for passing downs -- so if he's playing nickel mostly then why is he getting all the first team snaps in the base D? I just find it odd given his comments today.
What were his exact words? Was it, "Bill told me that I will only be playing on passing downs?" I doubt it. The recaps I read don't tend to be as conclusive as you're making them sound. I already told you earlier that actions are louder than words.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
abersonc said:
Here's one for everyone.

Why did we draft Carpenter as an OLB if, as Bill stated, "he looks like an inside guy?"

Taking it back a year, same deal with Burnett.

I'm all for depth -- and I thought Carpenter was a good pick. But this is two years straight that we tried to fill OLB and ended up with ILB. It seemed that Bill had that in mind for Burnett coming in. But how did it happen again with Carpenter? Our need inside is not as great as the need outside. So what happened here?

I believe he was merely stating that Carpenter is built more like a prototypical 3-4 inside linebacker, therefore "he looks like" an inside guy.

Carpenter, though, showed the skills at Ohio State to play outside linebacker in the 3-4, but with the Ellis experiment, I think Dallas is trying to make sure Carpenter is versatile so it can interchange the LBs.

So the short of it, Dallas using Ellis at OLB has more to do with Carpenter playing inside than Carpenter's ability as an OLB.

The Realist

Reaction score
abersonc said:
But lets take this further -- if Ellis is going to be protected and will no be in coverage much -- what does this do over on the other side? Doesn't this suggest Ware is going to have more coverage responsibility?

Are you suggesting that Ware is going to run across the field and cover a back or TE that other would have been covered by the SOLB?

dwmyers

Reaction score
wileedog said:
We don't know where Carpenter is at. He is supposedly a film junkie, and he played inside outside and even DE in school. He's obviously someone who picks up things quickly.

If the cost of having Ellis be a more complete Lber and not having to change a lot of things you do when he is in the game is Carpenter getting a couple weeks worth of practice at another position, (which only makes him more valuable), you do it.

Carpenter isn't Ware learning a new position and LBer is a position many kids come in and contribute immediately at - it's not rocket science. If the Ellis experiment works, it makes this defense that more scary, and in that case I think its worth Carp losing some reps at a position he's already extremely comfortable with.

I think this is in part an experiment, it's an attempt at a defensive home run in terms of moving people around.

1) If you think that Carpenter is already a pretty good linebacker, and maybe if you think he could adapt quickly to the pro SOLB slot..

2) if you think Greg Ellis is one of your three best pass rushers but perhaps a little undersized for the 3-4 DE..

3) if you're going to be playing a bit more of an "Oklahoma" defense (i.e. a 5-2) on downs 1 and 2 as opposed to a true 3-4, or plan on rushing 4 pretty consistently on down 3..

4) If you think you might need a little more beef in short yardage in your 3-4..

5) If you want to find out who your best 7 pass rushers are, and have them all on the field in your base defense as opposed to a 4-2-5..

Then the experiment makes sense. Carp already knows how to play SOLB. Ellis already knows how to play the 4-3 and the 3-4 DE. So move your players around in camp, and especially early in camp, and see what they can do.

If nothing else, you've forced your opponents to game plan for a 6' 6" 270 lb OLB, and a ILB with some serious size and pass rushing moves.

David.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
theogt said:
What were his exact words? Was it, "Bill told me that I will only be playing on passing downs?" I doubt it. The recaps I read don't tend to be as conclusive as you're making them sound. I already told you earlier that actions are louder than words.

Here's some stuff from his interview -- conclusive or not, lots of comments about coverage

For me, this is kinda like being a rookie again. If they have a slot receiver line up over me, I have to cover him. That's not a good thing.

I know Bill wants to use me in situations that wouldn't require me to have to drop back into coverage alot.

From what Bill has said he told me he wants me fresh to rush the QB, so I don't know how many plays I will get.

wileedog

Reaction score
ConcordCowboy said:
Well it's taken Bradie James a few years...And we really still don't know for sure if he's the real deal.
1st round pick >>>> 4th round pick.

And he's real. Book it. :)

To me I just don't get the whole Ellis experiment...Could he be the next McGinest? Sure.

But the Cowboys drafted Carpenter to be the OLB opposite Ware...Why not give him EVERY opportunity at that position to improve himself?

Because you can make the TEAM better of you have an established pass rusher on the strong side, an emerging stud on the weakside and a 1st round pick sharing time with an established LBer on the inside.

More good players contributing = more gooder.

wileedog

Reaction score
ConcordCowboy said:
I hope you're right, But you don't know that.

Neither do you.

But this is Bill Parcells coaching linebackers. Seriously, even if you hate the man, if there is one position in all of sports you would want one guy coaching one player its Bill Parcells developing a linebacker.

Be patient, this will play out, and the defense will be better for it.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
wileedog said:
Neither do you.

But this is Bill Parcells coaching linebackers. Seriously, even if you hate the man, if there is one position in all of sports you would want one guy coaching one player its Bill Parcells developing a linebacker.

Be patient, this will play out, and the defense will be better for it.

I said it long ago but it was ignored.

This is the least of our problems.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Alexander said:
I said it long ago but it was ignored.

This is the least of our problems.

What? They depth here doesn't remind you of our situation at Center to RT?

Manster68

Reaction score
Regardless what happens people, I really do like what Dallas is doing at linebacker.

I love the versatility of this group. I think only Shanle and Singleton only play one position. This gives Parcells options - not only that, but this also gives Parcells quality rotation.

I don't see this team running out of gas in the 4th quarter right now. We saw this team struggle in San Diego, against Washington, in Seattle, even against Carolina and Kansas City. Dallas just could not close teams out.

So if this team is going to run a 3-4 primarily and be successful, they need quality rotation and obviously depth.

The linebacking corps looks to be there.

wileedog

Reaction score
abersonc said:
What? You don't think Gurode-Johnson rivals Ellis-Singleton-Carpenter?

Uh, no.

Gurode is 4 year under-achiever. Al Johnson is an undersized disappointment.

Ellis is a consistent 8 sack player, Singleton the definition of "solid not spectacular" and Carpenter a touted #1 draft pick.

No, I dont see the similarity at all.

And I don't really understand what one has to do with the other anyway?

AbeBeta

Reaction score
wileedog said:
Uh, no.

Gurode is 4 year under-achiever. Al Johnson is an undersized disappointment.

Ellis is a consistent 8 sack player, Singleton the definition of "solid not spectacular" and Carpenter a touted #1 draft pick.

No, I dont see the similarity at all.

And I don't really understand what one has to do with the other anyway?

Take things literally much?

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
abersonc said:
Complaining? Is that what asking a question is called now?

It isn't like i'm one of these idiots who came at this with the typical "see, I told you, we needed to draft Manny Lawson" BS.

The part that still strikes me as odd is that we aren't hearing much about Carpenter even playing OLB in practice -- he's behind Ellis and Singleton there.

Again, I like the pick - but I also think first round guys need to play full time.

Carp played OLB in the scrimmage and had 2 sacks

they're just moving Carpenter to ILB to make room for the Ellis expirament, and due to the fact that BP thinks he's a smart kid and doesn't need that much work at OLB, looks like BP is pleasantly suprised by his development there (ILB)

I still think Carp will be our OLB soon