Why is Scott Linehan still here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
Doug Pederson wins Superbowls when his QB & LT aren't healthy.

Linehan shouldn't lean so much on the health of players if he's such a good coordinator.
Philly's backup LT didn't give up 6 sacks to a journeyman DE, either.

Sydla

Reaction score
Im curious to hear some people’s perspective on why Scott Linehan is still calling the shots on offense in Dallas.
I know Garrett isn’t much better but let’s face it, he is a puppet who really doesn’t do anything but talk. He doesn’t call plays, formations, or really anything...

So we have lost or shown the door to offensive position coaches. Why does this guy get to keep his job?

He stood right next to JG and watched Claiborne continually sack Dak over and over and he never shown the basic common sense to change his formation to protect Green from himself. He stayed the course.

Doesn’t it seem that our offense requires our guys to be far superior talents to the opposition in order to move the ball. Has this guy earned the right to have any input on who we bring in? Are we making personnel decisions to fit his “scheme” when he shouldn’t even have a job?

Or is he really some frustrated offense genius who is being forced to run a 1992 offense by JG and the Jones boys?

We see Peyton, Peterson, MCVey, McDaniels ect scheme lesser talent open while we seem to lack the ability to make a simple effective half time adjustment.

I just don’t get it.

Interested in hearing other opinions on this guy.

I suspect because Linehan has Garrett's support. And Jerry gives Jason what he wants nowadays.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Been watching that All Or Nothing show on Amazon Prime, and none of these coaches are terribly impressive from a "presence" standpoint. Garrett says the same thing over and over without really saying anything. Dooley and Linehan both seem like they should be in another line of work.

Bisaccia is most impressive, Gary Brown relates well to his group, and Pollack actually had a little fire in his belly.

Yes, I understand a few of these guys are no longer here, very soon these other guys likely wont be either.

I came away thinking the same thing about Bisaccia. That guy is someone you want to run through a wall for.

Garrett just came off as super repetitive and the thousand cliché's with a few F bombs sprinkled in got old after 8 episodes. I don't know how anyone could listen to that for 8 years.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Im curious to hear some people’s perspective on why Scott Linehan is still calling the shots on offense in Dallas.
I know Garrett isn’t much better but let’s face it, he is a puppet who really doesn’t do anything but talk. He doesn’t call plays, formations, or really anything...

So we have lost or shown the door to offensive position coaches. Why does this guy get to keep his job?

He stood right next to JG and watched Claiborne continually sack Dak over and over and he never shown the basic common sense to change his formation to protect Green from himself. He stayed the course.

Doesn’t it seem that our offense requires our guys to be far superior talents to the opposition in order to move the ball. Has this guy earned the right to have any input on who we bring in? Are we making personnel decisions to fit his “scheme” when he shouldn’t even have a job?

Or is he really some frustrated offense genius who is being forced to run a 1992 offense by JG and the Jones boys?

We see Peyton, Peterson, MCVey, McDaniels ect scheme lesser talent open while we seem to lack the ability to make a simple effective half time adjustment.

I just don’t get it.

Interested in hearing other opinions on this guy.

As for your comments about Linnehan, I don't even know why he was hired to begin with given that his history was as a pass first coach and in his first season in Dallas the team committed to a more run based offense. Since then he has had a couple of strong seasons (2014 & 2016), a terrible seasons (2015), and a mediocre season (2017). I think at this point gong forward he is on a season by season evaluation. If the offense and team do well, he gets another year. A collapse, and he is gone. If the team gets to the playoffs, it all may depend on whether they got in convincingly or snuck into a wild card spot, and how the playoffs go. That's my same view on Garrett too.

As for Garrett, while I think he should have been replaced, the argument that he does nothing because he doesn't call plays or formations isn't. Many head coaches don't call plays or formations. Belichick doesn't. Jimmy didn't. It's not uncommon for coordinators to take those roles.

jrumann59

Reaction score
It may be Garretts offense but it is Linehans gameplan. Hopefully both will be gone after this year. The ability to telegraph the play is an indictment of the staff. "Hey Malcolm Jenkins they are trotting out TWill, Dez and Butler with Zeke in the backfield and Witten at TE", "Well Witt will do his typical option, Butler will run deep down the sideline, dez will do a deep in or Fade, Zeke will block, TWill will run a drag. All we have to do is keep guys near the box and muddy up all the short stuff."

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Maybe because he did a GREAT job in 2016 leading a rookie QB at the last second and finding ways to make him successful?
He'll get at least one more full year with Dak and the offense. If there's improvement, he'll stay around. If it's more of what we saw last year, someone else will be brought in with the idea that someone else can build the offense around what Dak does best.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Cowboys scheme in the 90s was vanilla, but they beat people anyway. They were just better than everyone else they played. Garrett basically has been doing the same with a tweaked version with bits of other offenses he's been involved with.
The 90's offensive roster simply executed plays more consistently That is what I have always believed Garrett has tried to re-produce ever since he began offensive coordinator.

Garrett has enjoyed moderate overall success with execution. Coaching must take responsibility for some of the deficit but it is puzzling why the players short circuit too many drives with avoidable miscues. Perhaps the mix of available players becoming more consistent will finally gel now with the departure of the old guard.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Linehan is a pretty good gameplanner - look at the Dak friendly offense he drew up in weeks to start 2016 - but he sucks at adjusting when things start going wrong. When defenses cracked his offense this last year, he never offered any alternatives.

Tbh, I feel the same way about Marinelli.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score

Linehan shouldn't lean so much on the health of players if he's such a good coordinator.

So?

And what do you think drafting Williams and signing Williams was about? I think you misattribute cause.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
It may be Garretts offense but it is Linehans gameplan. Hopefully both will be gone after this year. The ability to telegraph the play is an indictment of the staff. "Hey Malcolm Jenkins they are trotting out TWill, Dez and Butler with Zeke in the backfield and Witten at TE", "Well Witt will do his typical option, Butler will run deep down the sideline, dez will do a deep in or Fade, Zeke will block, TWill will run a drag. All we have to do is keep guys near the box and muddy up all the short stuff."

You're absolutely right, but I don't know if that's a Garrett thing or a Linehan thing. I know Linehan's the playcaller, but our passing offense has been stale for years now, well before Linehan got here.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Linehan is a pretty good gameplanner - look at the Dak friendly offense he drew up in weeks to start 2016 - but he sucks at adjusting when things start going wrong. When defenses cracked his offense this last year, he never offered any alternatives.

Tbh, I feel the same way about Marinelli.

What do you do when teams figure out tendencies. That's been my complaint and a point Romo brought up recently.

2014 we caught everyone off guard.. Then 2015 happened.

2016 we caught everyone off guard.. Then 2017 happened.

Dallas has to stop playing into their tendencies or at least start using those tendencies for deceptive plays.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
So?

And what do you think drafting Williams and signing Williams was about? I think you misattribute cause.

Glad they drafted Flemming and signed Williams.

I still want them to make adjustments instead of letting a JAG set the NFL sack record.

We shouldn't have to wait for the offseason for them to fix the problem. IT should've happened in game.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Glad they drafted Flemming and signed Williams.

I still want them to make adjustments instead of letting a JAG set the NFL sack record.

We shouldn't have to wait for the offseason for them to fix the problem. IT should've happened in game.

Good for you.

Linehan is still able to produce a top offense.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's my understanding that Jones forced Garret to bring someone in in 2014 because he was frustrated with Callahan and Garret's inability to get off the 8-8 schneid. Linehan and Garrett worked together in Miami, so their playbook may be a mutual effort. In Garrett's early career as the Cowboys' play caller, I thought he did OK, but he drifted, so in came Callahan. Linehan has had some success, but he has limits. IMO, Romo was a creative cook and some dishes were served hot and others cold. Not to mention the playbook was probably altered to suit some fantasy of Jerry, who was guided by his constant, 'Win Now,' obsession. I feel he has been slowly and carefully tempered by his son and Will McClay. Maybe Linehan will get his chance to show what can be done without the recent chaos, but I hope he at least puts some hot sauce in the playbook instead of vanilla!
If not, time to move on.

Tommy

Reaction score

This offense was easily good enough under Linehan and Garrett to win a SuperBowl 2 years ago with a 3rd string rookie QB.

Status
Not open for further replies.