Why is Scott Linehan still here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gameover

Reaction score
Because you wouldn’t have made the playoffs in 2014 and 2016 without him!

superonyx

Reaction score
Another thread that starts with the assumption the offense is an issue and ignores the obvious evidence otherwise. 2nd, 4th, 9th in points/offensive series three out of his four years.

And nobody who believes Dez and Witten have been done for a while or that Dsk sucks gets to chime in that “it’s the talent.”
Wait..offense isn’t a problem..
Maybe you should have told Jerry this before they got rid of the entire offensive coaching staff and revamped the receivers and spent 2 out of our first 3 draft picks on offensive players.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Linehan is not producing squat. He's relying on his talent.

How convenient. Anything bad happens it's his deficiency. Anything good is on the players.

Fact is all coaches rely on talent. It's why the draft/recruitment are so important.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wait..offense isn’t a problem..
Maybe you should have told Jerry this before they got rid of the entire offensive coaching staff and revamped the receivers and spent 2 out of our first 3 draft picks on offensive players.

Offensive production hasn’t been the problem.

And I’ve been telling Jerry the issues have been on defense for years. It got me a swing tackle and a WR in FA, and two of the first three picks spent on offense. I don’t think Jerry’s listening to me.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Im curious to hear some people’s perspective on why Scott Linehan is still calling the shots on offense in Dallas.
I know Garrett isn’t much better but let’s face it, he is a puppet who really doesn’t do anything but talk. He doesn’t call plays, formations, or really anything...

If Linehan wasn't in charge, he's not to blame.
Maybe Garrett was in charge, and they're figuring on giving Linehan more control.

Whoever was in charge of last year's clown show should not be this year. If it was Linehan, he should be gone. If it was Garrett, let him focus on The Process and leave the Xs and Os to Linehan.

gmoney112

Reaction score
Offensive production hasn’t been the problem.

And I’ve been telling Jerry the issues have been on defense for years. It got me a swing tackle and a WR in FA, and two of the first three picks spent on offense. I don’t think Jerry’s listening to me.

We've got some depth at LB, CB is deep, and this is going to be the best DL we have on the 53 in a while.

Defense is going to take a big step up. I'm actually looking forward to seeing if Ward/Ealy can bring some heat inside next to Irving.

9of11

Reaction score
Because he's far up Jerrys pooty-tang is my best guess and he's our next coach after Jason is fired after this season.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We've got some depth at LB, CB is deep, and this is going to be the best DL we have on the 53 in a while.

Defense is going to take a big step up. I'm actually looking forward to seeing if Ward/Ealy can bring some heat inside next to Irving.

I actually agree. Though I wasn’t another S who can at least play. It’s just taken forever.

I’m pretty geeked about the coming season, actually. Lots of moving parts, but it should be fun.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Im curious to hear some people’s perspective on why Scott Linehan is still calling the shots on offense in Dallas.
I know Garrett isn’t much better but let’s face it, he is a puppet who really doesn’t do anything but talk. He doesn’t call plays, formations, or really anything...

So we have lost or shown the door to offensive position coaches. Why does this guy get to keep his job?

He stood right next to JG and watched Claiborne continually sack Dak over and over and he never shown the basic common sense to change his formation to protect Green from himself. He stayed the course.

Doesn’t it seem that our offense requires our guys to be far superior talents to the opposition in order to move the ball. Has this guy earned the right to have any input on who we bring in? Are we making personnel decisions to fit his “scheme” when he shouldn’t even have a job?

Or is he really some frustrated offense genius who is being forced to run a 1992 offense by JG and the Jones boys?

We see Peyton, Peterson, MCVey, McDaniels ect scheme lesser talent open while we seem to lack the ability to make a simple effective half time adjustment.

I just don’t get it.

Interested in hearing other opinions on this guy.

Well it's been about a 2 month lull on Linnehan. Time to rehash this another time. He's here because he's here. He has a chip and a chair. He has a dying breath or a living breath depending on your take on life. Let's try this again after 2018. I think he should be gone, I don't pull the strings. He's the pay caller, the offensive coordinator, the coordinator of the offense, time to coordinate the new look

Chrispierce

Reaction score
My own theory,or most rational conclusion I finally drew through a long process of deduction.....was my initial guess all along. Simply to ruin my good time watching games,with interrupted film class edits,on the examples of the many ways one can kill a drive.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And on what they were focusing on, I have no idea
Put some Ritalin in their beer.
k5Q8kuR

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How convenient. Anything bad happens it's his deficiency. Anything good is on the players.

Fact is all coaches rely on talent. It's why the draft/recruitment are so important.

Or your own use of player blame?

Suddenly Dez sucks, Witten is shot, it's all just Chaz Green's fault. Yada, yada, yada. And then when these players are replaced, it will be some new player's fault.

The fact is that some coaches actually put their talent in the best position to make plays while lesser coaches are entirely reliant on the talent.

Ours are player reliant.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I actually agree. Though I wasn’t another S who can at least play. It’s just taken forever.

I’m pretty geeked about the coming season, actually. Lots of moving parts, but it should be fun.
I am not sure that LInehan had the best situation the last few years. I've been a Linehan basher, but consider this:

- Romo had frequent injuries, a final injury, and then his backup goes down.
- New QB with need for new game planning.
- RPO not as effective last year with absence of E2 and Tyron Smith.
- Defense couldn't give the offense a decent rest.
- WR1 not coming through.

Having said this, it's the role of the OC and HC to adapt. Hope they do.

Verdict

Reaction score
1. He is still here because the team hired him and hasn't fired him.

2. I'm glad he is here because he was likely a factor in Dez getting the unceremonious boot.

superonyx

Reaction score
Well it's been about a 2 month lull on Linnehan. Time to rehash this another time. He's here because he's here. He has a chip and a chair. He has a dying breath or a living breath depending on your take on life. Let's try this again after 2018. I think he should be gone, I don't pull the strings. He's the pay caller, the offensive coordinator, the coordinator of the offense, time to coordinate the new look
Hey goofball, no one forces you to reply or even read a thread.
You are now that guy.
You know the guy.
The guy that responds to a thread that the thread shouldn’t exist.
No one likes that guy.
Stop being that guy.
It’s ugly.

superonyx

Reaction score
1. He is still here because the team hired him and hasn't fired him.

2. I'm glad he is here because he was likely a factor in Dez getting the unceremonious boot.
And it took 4 pages to get the brilliant insight from you.
Whew...thanks man. I was worried that he was here because the team didn’t hire him....thank god you cleared that up.

I’m not sure why it took 4 pages of post to find someone who actually gets it.

Status
Not open for further replies.