Why is Scott Linehan still here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Do people still complain about the play calling since Linehan has been here? I rarely have a problem with the calls. Now the actual scheme is too vanilla but that is because it's still Garrett's offense. Although that may be changing.
That is correct. When you have **** to choose from (play book) you really can't complain about the play calling.

Verdict

Reaction score
And it took 4 pages to get the brilliant insight from you.
Whew...thanks man. I was worried that he was here because the team didn’t hire him....thank god you cleared that up.

I’m not sure why it took 4 pages of post to find someone who actually gets it.

Hey. You're welcome! I'm glad to be of assistance to you. Let me know if you need any other pearls of wisdom. I'm full of great info. Especially on Dez. We know you love talking about him!!

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am not sure that LInehan had the best situation the last few years. I've been a Linehan basher, but consider this:

- Romo had frequent injuries, a final injury, and then his backup goes down.
- New QB with need for new game planning.
- RPO not as effective last year with absence of E2 and Tyron Smith.
- Defense couldn't give the offense a decent rest.
- WR1 not coming through.

Having said this, it's the role of the OC and HC to adapt. Hope they do.

A very good assessment. Several very good examples of the adversity he had to overcome.

And while we can acknowledge all of them being true to some degree, we can also acknowledge that Linehan couldn't do much, if anything, to overcome or compensate for any of them. And that's still quite concerning.

What bothers me the most is the man's pass-happy identity.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Hey goofball, no one forces you to reply or even read a thread.
You are now that guy.
You know the guy.
The guy that responds to a thread that the thread shouldn’t exist.
No one likes that guy.
Stop being that guy.
It’s ugly.

Whoa... back up the truck Chuck. You asked for fan comments I gave you mine. I said it's a tired thread, he's our OC for 2018, that he probably shouldn't be but I can't change it. Not what you like to hear? Was it the tired thread part? It's ok, not every thread is original. Heck we do Dez, JG, JJ, Dak and before he retired, Witt... until death do us part or until they depart. SL will depart eventually I assume. Wasn't meant to be a personal attack on you

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A very good assessment. Several very good examples of the adversity he had to overcome.

And while we can acknowledge all of them being true to some degree, we can also acknowledge that Linehan couldn't do much, if anything, to overcome or compensate for any of them. And that's still quite concerning.

Yup. Quite troubling. How much is on Jason and Jerry is the question. Maybe they hired Edward Nigma as a consultant.

Beaker42

Reaction score
Do people still complain about the play calling since Linehan has been here? I rarely have a problem with the calls. Now the actual scheme is too vanilla but that is because it's still Garrett's offense. Although that may be changing.

Ummm, yeah they do - go find the Seachickens game thread when genius Scott passed 3 times on 1st and goal instead of handing off to Zeke. Dak didn’t audible those.

Wood

Reaction score
Im curious to hear some people’s perspective on why Scott Linehan is still calling the shots on offense in Dallas.
I know Garrett isn’t much better but let’s face it, he is a puppet who really doesn’t do anything but talk. He doesn’t call plays, formations, or really anything...

So we have lost or shown the door to offensive position coaches. Why does this guy get to keep his job?

He stood right next to JG and watched Claiborne continually sack Dak over and over and he never shown the basic common sense to change his formation to protect Green from himself. He stayed the course.

Doesn’t it seem that our offense requires our guys to be far superior talents to the opposition in order to move the ball. Has this guy earned the right to have any input on who we bring in? Are we making personnel decisions to fit his “scheme” when he shouldn’t even have a job?

Or is he really some frustrated offense genius who is being forced to run a 1992 offense by JG and the Jones boys?

We see Peyton, Peterson, MCVey, McDaniels ect scheme lesser talent open while we seem to lack the ability to make a simple effective half time adjustment.

I just don’t get it.

Interested in hearing other opinions on this guy.

mentioned this after All or Nothing show. Linehan by far came across as most unrelatable coach with players. It was almost difficult to watch at times. Ominously, he is gaining power. So much so that if Garrett gets fired I would not be surprised at all if Jerry hires him as next HC.

superonyx

Reaction score
Whoa... back up the truck Chuck. You asked for fan comments I gave you mine. I said it's a tired thread, he's our OC for 2018, that he probably shouldn't be but I can't change it. Not what you like to hear? Was it the tired thread part? It's ok, not every thread is original. Heck we do Dez, JG, JJ, Dak and before he retired, Witt... until death or until do us part or until they depart. SL will depart eventually I assume. Wasn't meant to be a personal attack on you
Oh I see now. Someone a few months ago created a thread about Linehan and that makes it a tired thread.
I guess by your message board standards we would have to shut this place down.
So what original topic should we discuss?

northerncowboynation

Reaction score

Yep always said that Linnehan believes any OC can orchestrate a running game but he believes it takes a great scheme with the OC input to run a successful passing attack. Let's see him prove that this year, new WR's, no Witt, a re-upped O-line. Interested in seeing if he changes

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Oh I see now. Someone a few months ago created a thread about Linehan and that makes it a tired thread.
I guess by your message board standards we would have to shut this place down.
So what original topic should we discuss?

OMG, easy does it chuck! Eat a snickers. You don't moke the peace pipe? No worries bruh

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yep always said that Linnehan believes any OC can orchestrate a running game but he believes it takes a great scheme with the OC input to run a successful passing attack. Let's see him prove that this year, new WR's, no Witt, a re-upped O-line. Interested in seeing if he changes

I think that both Linehan and Garrett struggle with fully understanding the running game and it's value. I think they get "bored" with it for lack of a better word. And they get away from it far more often than they should, especially considering how this team has been built.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Im curious to hear some people’s perspective on why Scott Linehan is still calling the shots on offense in Dallas.
I know Garrett isn’t much better but let’s face it, he is a puppet who really doesn’t do anything but talk. He doesn’t call plays, formations, or really anything...

So we have lost or shown the door to offensive position coaches. Why does this guy get to keep his job?

He stood right next to JG and watched Claiborne continually sack Dak over and over and he never shown the basic common sense to change his formation to protect Green from himself. He stayed the course.

Doesn’t it seem that our offense requires our guys to be far superior talents to the opposition in order to move the ball. Has this guy earned the right to have any input on who we bring in? Are we making personnel decisions to fit his “scheme” when he shouldn’t even have a job?

Or is he really some frustrated offense genius who is being forced to run a 1992 offense by JG and the Jones boys?

We see Peyton, Peterson, MCVey, McDaniels ect scheme lesser talent open while we seem to lack the ability to make a simple effective half time adjustment.

I just don’t get it.

Interested in hearing other opinions on this guy.
I really hate to bring this name up yet again but it's really quite simple. Wanna hear it? Here it go.....

Without Dez in the lineup, Linehan no longer has to cater to one very loud target. You will find that Linehan will now open things up and spread things around. Run, pass, rpo, Dak calling plays at the line. You name it. I feel as though this year is going to be Linehan's official coming out party... All because of the removal of that singular loud demanding target.

I firmly believe this to be the case and can't wait to see our new dynamic offense in action.

& that's coming from someone that despises Linehan... I just feel it was more Dez than Linehan. We shall see soon enough.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
We have had arguably our two best offensive years in the last two decades since he has done to town and as recently as 2016, we had a rookie backfield lead an elite offense with Linehan at the helm.

I’m not defending him but I’m speaking from the front offices prospective...one year with tons of distractions doesn’t erase the year before when you go to judge a coaches performance.

I’ll add one more thing. Dak has a lot riding on him this year and changing coordinators at the drop of a dime is never in a young QBs best interest even if you hate the system.
I respectfully disagree. Our 'Boys offense needs new blood & new ideas. Dallas needs an initiative offensive coordinator that can turn this talented squad of underperforming individuals into an exciting offense again. Under Linehan, Dak has really regressed last year. Especially in the second half of the season where he’s tossed 9 picks in his last 6 games.

Then consider how poorly the 'Boys WR corps has played all season, & there is a case to be made that not only should Linehan be fired, but WR's coach Dooley & QB's coach Wilson as well.

Not to mention the lack of proper halftime adjustments, especially when it came to supporting replacement left tackles who couldn’t stop an average pass rusher from dropping Dak a whopping 6x's in Week 10.

Bottom line, our offense has been horrific the past few years. Hiring a new offensive coordinator would only help Dak because thus far with Linehan, our young talented QB & offense have simply plummeted.

Last edited:

superonyx

Reaction score
I really hate to bring this name up yet again but it's really quite simple. Wanna hear it? Here it go.....

Without Dez in the lineup, Linehan no longer has to cater to one very loud target. You will find that Linehan will now open things up and spread things around. Run, pass, rpo, Dak calling plays at the line. You name it. I feel as though this year is going to be Linehan's official coming out party... All because of the removal of that singular loud demanding target.

I firmly believe this to be the case and can't wait to see our new dynamic offense in action.

& that's coming from someone that despises Linehan... I just feel it was more Dez than Linehan. We shall see soon enough.
I’d like to believe this. But I remember the game this year where Dez only had 2 targets and Buck and Aikman thought he was holding up 2 fingers complaining about the 2 targets. Come to find out he was saying cover 2.:
Point is we were not dynamic regardless of Dez getting targeted.

I hope your right for our sake. I just remember so many games where Dez was invisible and we were not scoring.

robjay04

Reaction score
I respectfully disagree. Our 'Boys offense needs new blood & new ideas. Dallas needs an initiative offensive coordinator that can turn this talented squad of underperforming individuals into an exciting offense again. Under Linehan, Dak has really regressed last year. Especially in the second half of the season where he’s tossed 9 picks in his last 6 games.

Then consider how poorly the 'Boys WR corps has played all season, & there is a case to be made that not only should Linehan be fired, but WR's coach Dooley & QB's coach Wilson as well.

Not to mention the lack of proper halftime adjustments, especially when it came to supporting replacement left tackles who couldn’t stop an average pass rusher from dropping Dak a whopping 6x's in Week 10.

Bottom line, our offense has been horrific the past few years. Hiring a new offensive coordinator would only help Dak because thus far with Linehan, our young talented QB & offense have simply plummeted.

Our offense has not plummeted the last few years. Two out of the last four years have produced two of the best offenses we have seen in decades and that’s not debatable.

And yes our young QB faultered last season but how much of of his rookie season can be attributed to his coordinator?

I’m really not even defending Linehan as much as I am stating the logic the team is employing in keeping Linehan on board. Garrett was the coach of the year a year ago and many people will say that is a reflection of the entire staff.

3rd_n_inches

Reaction score
Linehan see’s the potential to do what Garrett has done for however many years and still have job security. Linehan will sooner or later have a candle lit papa johns pizza dinner with Charlotte. The news that Garrett is on his way to Cincinnati makes them both chuckle in delight. Kellen Moore will be patiently waiting in Linehans car with the windows cracked and the car off as this takes place.

Status
Not open for further replies.