CFZ Why is this not obvious to our FO?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Whatever anyone thinks about Dak Prescott as the Cowboys starting QB, unless something really surprising happens soon, he will be the starting QB here at least through the upcoming 2024 season. PLEASE NOTE: This is not a “yay Dak” thread. It’s a “Go Cowboys” thread asking, “What gives us the best chance to win?”

Knowing what I’ve read about Dak’s strengths and weaknesses as a QB, I will never understand why this FO doesn’t see the best way to make Dak successful. What is it? Having a really good running game. Yes, that’s true about all QBs but even more so with Dak. Look at the evidence:

• Dak’s all time regular season record is 73-41. But look even deeper:
    • When the team rushes for 100 or more yards a game, Dak and the Cowboys are 64-17. When rushing for less than 100 yards, the Cowboys are 9-24 with Dak as starting QB.
    • When Dak throws 30 or less passes, the Cowboys are 28-6. When throwing more than that, the Cowboys are 45-41.
  • Despite having a bad year with int’s in 2022 with 17, Dak only had 8 in ‘23 and is actually very good all time protecting the ball. Yes he’s had some terrible INTs in the playoffs, but historically he’s pretty good at not turning it over.
    • Dak is 9th all time in NFL history with a 1.9 interceptions per 100 attempts. That’s pretty good. (Aaron Rodgers is #1 all time with 1.4; Brady and Mahomes are both ranked 5th at 1.8)
So here’s my bottom line point: Why didn’t we try harder to get a decent RB and make this running game much better in 2024? I’m not even sure Mike McCarthy is the right HC if running the ball is what this QB needs. We did potentially improve our OL, but can anyone say with a straight face that having Zeke, Rico Dowdle and anyone else on this roster will make for a better running game this year?

Again…does this front office not understand what this team needs to win? The evidence is there - having a strong running game is critical to this team’s success. Why did this FO not make it better this off-season?

cmoney23

Reaction score
Whatever anyone thinks about Dak Prescott as the Cowboys starting QB, unless something really surprising happens soon, he will be the starting QB here at least through the upcoming 2024 season. PLEASE NOTE: This is not a “yay Dak” thread. It’s a “Go Cowboys” thread asking, “What gives us the best chance to win?”

Knowing what I’ve read about Dak’s strengths and weaknesses as a QB, I will never understand why this FO doesn’t see the best way to make Dak successful. What is it? Having a really good running game. Yes, that’s true about all QBs but even more so with Dak. Look at the evidence:

• When the team rushes for 100 or more yards a game, Dak and the Cowboys are 64-17. When rushing for less than 100 yards, the Cowboys are 9-24 with Dak as starting QB.
    • When Dak throws 30 or less passes, the Cowboys are 28-6. When throwing more than that, the Cowboys are 45-41.
  • Despite having a bad year with int’s in 2022 with 17, Dak only had 8 in ‘23 and is actually very good all time protecting the ball. Yes he’s had some terrible INTs in the playoffs, but historically he’s pretty good at not turning it over.
    • Dak is 9th all time in NFL history with a 1.9 interceptions per 100 attempts. That’s pretty good. (Aaron Rodgers is #1 all time with 1.4; Brady and Mahomes are both ranked 5th at 1.8)
So here’s my bottom line point: Why didn’t we try harder to get a decent RB and make this running game much better in 2024? I’m not even sure Mike McCarthy is the right HC if running the ball is what this QB needs. We did potentially improve our OL, but can anyone say with a straight face that having Zeke, Rico Dowdle and anyone else on this roster will make for a better running game this year?

Again…does this front office not understand what this team needs to win? The evidence is there - having a strong running game is critical to this team’s success. Why did this FO not make it better this off-season?
I'd argue strongly that the FO is the issue over the past 20+ years!! They don't want to just win, they want to win their way...

Reid1boys

Reaction score

they drafted 2 Ol with 2 of their first 3 picks. Our Oline with theexception of Martin is now pretty damn young. You think that isnt looking at the running game? Iheard they wanted to take a back in the 4th, but who they wanted was gone, so they decided to not take a pick after that as they felt who we had would be as good or better.

It s the gamble you take in a draft, and until you have seen this season play out, you cant say if our backs sucked or not.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
This is pretty much my argument as to why I don't think the Cowboys front office really cares what happens in 2024 either way. The cheapest positions to at least get average players are typically RB & DT.

If Zeke turns the clock back a couple years and ends up being a 1300 yard back, Mazi turns out to be a great use of a 1st round pick, and the rookie duo of Guyton/Beebe both are instant plug and play starters I think they would be very happy with that. If these things dont happen and this team is simply in the playoff mix without a real threat to advance I think they are OK with that too. I even think the Cowboys front office is fine if this team completely implodes and ends up drafting top 10 next year.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
they drafted 2 Ol with 2 of their first 3 picks. Our Oline with theexception of Martin is now pretty damn young. You think that isnt looking at the running game? Iheard they wanted to take a back in the 4th, but who they wanted was gone, so they decided to not take a pick after that as they felt who we had would be as good or better.

It s the gamble you take in a draft, and until you have seen this season play out, you cant say if our backs sucked or not.
The stats on all those guys say we don’t currently have an explosive backfield capable of threatening a defense. Even a great OL needs someone better than average to make for a great running game.

gtb1943

Reaction score
The stats as regards a running game is very much the same for any QB. If you got a good running game going on, the D has to respect that and a competent OC and QB with decent weapons and a decent O line can make serious hay.

What is actually going on this off-season is up for debate. Lots of theories. From a hidden rebuild to not caring to somewhere in between.

gtb1943

Reaction score
The stars on all those guys say we don’t currently have an explosive backfield capable of threatening a defense. Even a great OL needs someone better than average to make for a great running game.
I think they are looking at pounding the rock between the tackles. Old fashioned three yards and a cloud of dust.

lostar2009

Reaction score
They want a Tony Romo to justify his pay. But they dont understand the pay rates on starting quality playoff caliber QBs. Its always useful to stay on top and early. Unless one has a quality backup in the wing.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
The stats on all those guys say we don’t currently have an explosive backfield capable of threatening a defense. Even a great OL needs someone better than average to make for a great running game.
It's also rare that two rookie OLs are going to step in and be stronger than the Tyron Smith/Biadasz duo from a year ago. Possible? Yes. Likely? No.

I like this Oline a lot more for 2025 than I do for 2024 right now.

Smashin222

Reaction score
These stats are backwards. More accurately, when a team is winning, they end up rushing a lot more and throwing less......because they're winning. You don't throw the ball a lot when you're winning. You don't run the ball a lot when you're losing.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They want a Tony Romo to justify his pay. But they dont understand the pay rates on starting quality playoff caliber QBs. It’s always useful to stay on top and early. Unless one has a quality backup in the wing.
This right here ^^^

I remember when Jerry’s said about Romo being paid “Peyton Manning money” and thinking, “He doesn’t get it.” What you pay a guy in and of itself doesn’t make a player better, lol.

Jarntt

Reaction score
While I totally agree with you about the running game, don't forget when you are ahead in the game you run more. That accounts for at least a small part of your stat.

as for why we don't do it: "there's a pie and it only has so many slices and...." or whatever else the dopey Jones boys would say to cover for their inept cap management

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
These stats are backwards. More accurately, when a team is winning, they end up rushing a lot more and throwing less......because they're winning. You don't throw the ball a lot when you're winning. You don't run the ball a lot when you're losing.
That’s a fair point. But it raises these questions, “What got us the lead to sit on? The running game or the passing game? Or both?”

All of the teams that win SBs without a superstar QB have either a great running game and/or a great defense. History is pretty clear on that.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

I think in part it’s arrogance. They think what they have is good enough. I also records based on rushing yards can be skewed. Typically you run the ball more when you command a lead. But I’ve preached it all year. The trenches. You can’t ignore it or escape it. You can’t run the football you won’t win in the playoffs. You can’t stop the run? You’re doomed.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
That’s a fair point. But it raises these questions, “What got us the lead to sit on? The running game or the passing game? Or both?”

All of the teams that win SBs without a superstar QB have either a great running game and/or a great defense. History is pretty clear on that.
That’s the question. Because last year the run game wasn’t good enough to lean on and when we needed it against San Fran and Arizona it was non existent.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

That’s the same kind of analysis which has plagued us with this FO. They always wait and see how it plays out instead of anticipating weaknesses and being proactive.