CFZ Why is this not obvious to our FO?

JonesBoys

Reaction score
It’s no doubt a double edged sword . On one hand the Cowboys have had historically record futility this era in the playoffs.

No one has ever had 3 consecutive 12 win seasons without at least an appearance in championship game.

And we are one of only a handful of teams this era who haven’t at least made a championship appearance.

But I wouldn’t say winning divisions and making the playoffs means nothing. It just hasn’t led to any success in the playoffs.
I would normally agree with you but when it's been 27 years you kind of get numb to just getting excited about regular season wins.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I would normally agree with you but when it's been 27 years you kind of get numb to just getting excited about regular season wins.
After the fact I’d agree. But while it’s unfolding even if we suspect how it ends we arent absolutely certain of the results.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
really? So I assume on most Sundays you are falling asleep on the couch by halftime? When they play on Sunday nights, you just skip it because you are tired and dont feel like staying up? I mean, no excitement in regular season games.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
After the fact I’d agree. But while it’s unfolding even if we suspect how it ends we arent absolutely certain of the results.
I laugh at people that made the comments you responded to. dont tell me people are up and down out of their seats yelling at the Tv during the regular season games. If they didnt care, they wouldnt be in here.

rambo2

Reaction score
really? So I assume on most Sundays you are falling asleep on the couch by halftime? When they play on Sunday nights, you just skip it because you are tired and dont feel like staying up? I mean, no excitement in regular season games.
Those guys are funny.

JonesBoys

Reaction score
No, I stay cautiously optimistic all the time now. I'm happy for any win I just don't get my expectations up anymore. It kind of becomes nice win but lets see what happens once the playoffs come. I guess I don't get my hopes up or get too excited with any regular season win anymore is what I'm saying.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
No, I stay cautiously optimistic all the time now. I'm happy for any win I just don't get my expectations up anymore. It kind of becomes nice win but lets see what happens once the playoffs come. I guess I don't get my hopes up or get too excited with any regular season win anymore is what I'm saying.
for EVERY team, regular season games are designed to show you who you are and set you up for the playoffs. Ultimately, what happened last year, or ten years ago has zero to do with this season.

rambo2

Reaction score
for EVERY team, regular season games are designed to show you who you are and set you up for the playoffs. Ultimately, what happened last year, or ten years ago has zero to do with this season.
That's exactly right.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
On the most part this is true but there are some indications there can be some carry over heading into the next season.

Like Detroit finished strong in 2022 while still missing the playoffs. And were expected to carry that momentum into 2023. That’s one of the intangible factors which can translate from one season to the next.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
On the most part this is true but there are some indications there can be some carry over heading into the next season.

Like Detroit finished strong in 2022 while still missing the playoffs. And were expected to carry that momentum into 2023. That’s one of the intangible factors which can translate from one season to the next.
Reid, I generally agree with your point that every season is something new and separate. There are exceptions and there are carryovers, Both good and bad. Like the example Diehard gave about Detroit in 2022.

How about the Cowboys 1991 to 1992? We made the playoffs in ‘91 for the first time in 6 years then won a playoff game against Chi. Lost the next round but that positive experience carried over to ‘92 when we won the SB.

Negative experiences at seasons end can also definitely carry over. Teams that lose the SB very often struggle the next season. Since 2000, look at the teams that lost the SB, then had a bad season the next year:
  • The 2000 giants lost the SB to the ravens, finished 7-9 the next season.
  • The 2001 rams, losing the SB to Brady, then went 7-9 the next season.
  • 2002 raiders lost the SB then went 4-12 the next season.
  • 2003 panthers lost the SB and went 7-9 the next season.
  • 2004 eagles lost the SB and went 6-10 the next season.
  • 2006 bears lost the SB and went 7-9 the next season.
  • Interestingly between 2008 and 2014, the SB losers all made the playoffs the next year.
  • 2015 panthers lost the SB and went 6-10 the next season.
  • 2017 pats lost the SB BUT the next year went on to win the SB.
  • 2018 rams lost the SB, went 9-7 but didn’t make the playoffs.
  • 2019 niners lost the SB and went 6-10th next season.
  • In 2021, and 22, both SB losers made the playoffs
So in the 24 seasons since 2000, the SB loser did not even make the playoffs 9 times. Only once did the SB loser the year before win the SB the next season (2018 pats), and 14 times the loser of the SB made the playoffs but did not repeat going to the SB.

So apparently, there can be “carry over” from year to year either way.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Reid, I generally agree with your point that every season is something new and separate. There are exceptions and there are carryovers, Both good and bad. Like the example Diehard gave about Detroit in 2022.

How about the Cowboys 1991 to 1992? We made the playoffs in ‘91 for the first time in 6 years then won a playoff game against Chi. Lost the next round but that positive experience carried over to ‘92 when we won the SB.

Negative experiences at seasons end can also definitely carry over. Teams that lose the SB very often struggle the next season. Since 2000, look at the teams that lost the SB, then had a bad season the next year:
  • Interestingly between 2008 and 2014, the SB losers all made the playoffs the next year.
So in the 24 seasons since 2000, the SB loser did not even make the playoffs 9 times. Only once did the SB loser the year before win the SB the next season (2018 pats), and 14 times the loser of the SB made the playoffs but did not repeat going to the SB.

I view it differently on your"carry over," analysis. The salary capnis designed to take teams in the playoffs and push them out and take teams not in the playoffs and put them in. Those are the fine teams. Those teams that are top 3 in a conference, due to have a top qb, normally still make the playoffs. Look, this is not our old bfl. Rules that worked back in the day... not so much today. A great run game was required when you're qb was throwing for 79 yards, yet you ate still winning the sb, Ala Bob Griese and the dolphins. Those rules and examples are no longer pertinent in today's nfl.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I view it differently on your"carry over," analysis. The salary capnis designed to take teams in the playoffs and push them out and take teams not in the playoffs and put them in. Those are the fine teams. Those teams that are top 3 in a conference, due to have a top qb, normally still make the playoffs. Look, this is not our old bfl. Rules that worked back in the day... not so much today. A great run game was required when your qb was throwing for 79 yards, yet you ate still winning the sb, Ala Bob Griese and the dolphins. Those rules and examples are no longer pertinent in today's nfl.
Right…But my example started 27 years after Griese and the fins won their last SB. Every year in my example is the cap era.

Reid1boys

Reaction score

By the way, I think you proved my point. A team is in super bowl this year and next season doesn't make playoffs..... showing one year means nothing on the next. Nit, well you lost the sb and that sent you on a downward trajectory.

links18

Reaction score
"So here’s my bottom line point: Why didn’t we try harder to get a decent RB and make this running game much better in 2024?"

Jerry thinks we tried hard enough--he resigned his bestie Zeke.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Right…But my example started 27 years after Griese and the fins won their last SB. Every year in my example is the cap era.
exactly, which was my point. Prior to the cap, you could have a qb throw for 79 yards. Not today, and now, the cap is designed, and works very well at making teams move up and down.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
exactly, which was my point. Prior to the cap, you could have a qb throw for 79 yards. Not today, and now, the cap is designed, and works very well at making teams move up and down.
No doubt true but it could be some of both depending on situation.

The cap is designed to have that impact and there can be some carry over momentum and or crescendo not necessarily or directly related to cap.