CFZ Why is this not obvious to our FO?

fivetwos

Reaction score
Whatever anyone thinks about Dak Prescott as the Cowboys starting QB, unless something really surprising happens soon, he will be the starting QB here at least through the upcoming 2024 season. PLEASE NOTE: This is not a “yay Dak” thread. It’s a “Go Cowboys” thread asking, “What gives us the best chance to win?”

Knowing what I’ve read about Dak’s strengths and weaknesses as a QB, I will never understand why this FO doesn’t see the best way to make Dak successful. What is it? Having a really good running game. Yes, that’s true about all QBs but even more so with Dak. Look at the evidence:

• Dak’s all time regular season record is 73-41. But look even deeper:
    • When the team rushes for 100 or more yards a game, Dak and the Cowboys are 64-17. When rushing for less than 100 yards, the Cowboys are 9-24 with Dak as starting QB.
    • When Dak throws 30 or less passes, the Cowboys are 28-6. When throwing more than that, the Cowboys are 45-41.
  • Despite having a bad year with int’s in 2022 with 17, Dak only had 8 in ‘23 and is actually very good all time protecting the ball. Yes he’s had some terrible INTs in the playoffs, but historically he’s pretty good at not turning it over.
    • Dak is 9th all time in NFL history with a 1.9 interceptions per 100 attempts. That’s pretty good. (Aaron Rodgers is #1 all time with 1.4; Brady and Mahomes are both ranked 5th at 1.8)
So here’s my bottom line point: Why didn’t we try harder to get a decent RB and make this running game much better in 2024? I’m not even sure Mike McCarthy is the right HC if running the ball is what this QB needs. We did potentially improve our OL, but can anyone say with a straight face that having Zeke, Rico Dowdle and anyone else on this roster will make for a better running game this year?

Again…does this front office not understand what this team needs to win? The evidence is there - having a strong running game is critical to this team’s success. Why did this FO not make it better this off-season?
As I read the title and opened this, I figured it was all about the DT position.

As far as Dak, it goes back to typical Jerry….’I pay him to be great so he ought to be.’

There are plenty of examples of him saying things like that over the years, my favorite of which is when he said that he didn’t need to invest big capital in the OL because Hudson Houck is the highest paid OL coach in the league.

So…’I pay him, he ought to be,’ even if they aren’t actually capable. Paying Lawrence like a sack guy is another.

Jerry thinks he is paying Prescott a ton, and he is, but it doesn’t make him any more capable, that’s just what the market dictates, and we are about to see who wins between that ridiculous market and Jerry’s ego.

GoCowboysGo

Reaction score
Great post!

Equally important is addressing the middle of the defensive line! Championship teams need to run (have balance), and stop the run (have balance defensively). This is why the DBs and ends are tired at the end of every season.

Also, folks here keep asking why doesn’t he give the team a home town discount? But look here….

2016 - $1,176,937
2017 - $941,006
2018 - $630,000
2019 - $2,155,229
2020 - $31,414,653
2021 - $75,000,000
2022 - $20,000,000
2023 - $31,000,000

Look at the numbers, $630,000 for 2017! But also 2021 is $75 M!! He’s already made $75M in one year! But also just a bit above half a million for one NFL season, one year removed from leading the team to 13 wins.

I’m not advocating one way or another, just pointing out that he’s already given the team four seasons of $2.1 M or less.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
There was several RB’s in the 4th and 5th rounds we could have drafted to shore up our running game . I recall pointing it out while the draft was underway . It simply wasn’t a priority for us .

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Great points, Bob. Maybe this speaks volumes, maybe it's just oversight. At this point, I have no idea.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Whatever anyone thinks about Dak Prescott as the Cowboys starting QB, unless something really surprising happens soon, he will be the starting QB here at least through the upcoming 2024 season. PLEASE NOTE: This is not a “yay Dak” thread. It’s a “Go Cowboys” thread asking, “What gives us the best chance to win?”

Knowing what I’ve read about Dak’s strengths and weaknesses as a QB, I will never understand why this FO doesn’t see the best way to make Dak successful. What is it? Having a really good running game. Yes, that’s true about all QBs but even more so with Dak. Look at the evidence:

• When the team rushes for 100 or more yards a game, Dak and the Cowboys are 64-17. When rushing for less than 100 yards, the Cowboys are 9-24 with Dak as starting QB.
    • When Dak throws 30 or less passes, the Cowboys are 28-6. When throwing more than that, the Cowboys are 45-41.
  • Despite having a bad year with int’s in 2022 with 17, Dak only had 8 in ‘23 and is actually very good all time protecting the ball. Yes he’s had some terrible INTs in the playoffs, but historically he’s pretty good at not turning it over.
    • Dak is 9th all time in NFL history with a 1.9 interceptions per 100 attempts. That’s pretty good. (Aaron Rodgers is #1 all time with 1.4; Brady and Mahomes are both ranked 5th at 1.8)
So here’s my bottom line point: Why didn’t we try harder to get a decent RB and make this running game much better in 2024? I’m not even sure Mike McCarthy is the right HC if running the ball is what this QB needs. We did potentially improve our OL, but can anyone say with a straight face that having Zeke, Rico Dowdle and anyone else on this roster will make for a better running game this year?

Again…does this front office not understand what this team needs to win? The evidence is there - having a strong running game is critical to this team’s success. Why did this FO not make it better this off-season?
Every team needs to commit to running the ball, not just the Cowboys. You’ll find similar results with all good QB’s.

AstroPilota

Reaction score
...Again…does this front office not understand what this team needs to win? The evidence is there - having a strong running game is critical to this team’s success. Why did this FO not make it better this off-season?
I believe that they think that any RB can be successful running behind a very good o-line. While it remains to be seen if this o-line will be very good or not, that logic is somewhat valid. I think it would have proved out during the 92-95 era (not taking anything away from Emmitt!), but imagine how awesome it would have been if we had Barry Sanders running behind that big, nasty o-line! I know Zeke has lost a step, but I'm hoping he has a chip on his shoulder and will be a productive hammer inside the 20. One thing this team has had zero issues with, is moving the sticks between the 20's. Once we get down inside the 10, that's where we suffered, and maybe the make-up of this current roster will fix that. Hey - I can hope, right? ;)

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I believe that they think that any RB can be successful running behind a very good o-line. While it remains to be seen if this o-line will be very good or not, that logic is somewhat valid. I think it would have proved out during the 92-95 era (not taking anything away from Emmitt!), but imagine how awesome it would have been if we had Barry Sanders running behind that big, nasty o-line! I know Zeke has lost a step, but I'm hoping he has a chip on his shoulder and will be a productive hammer inside the 20. One thing this team has had zero issues with, is moving the sticks between the 20's. Once we get down inside the 10, that's where we suffered, and maybe the make-up of this current roster will fix that. Hey - I can hope, right? ;)
Yes, we can all hope. I don’t pay attention to folks saying “this is how the team is going to be” when they haven’t even seen the team play yet. It’s bizarre. And some will believe him.

Chasing6

Reaction score

Because our FO is basically comprised of 2 people that are related. Inbreeding is not a good thing.

MoistMayonnaise

Devil's Advocate
Reaction score
Someone nailed it in another thread. Jerry does enough to stay relevant and sell jerseys. Beyond that he doesn't much care.

rags747

Reaction score

Which rb would have made us better. We already had prime Zeke and it did what for us exactly?

AstroPilota

Reaction score
Yes, we can all hope. I don’t pay attention to folks saying “this is how the team is going to be” when they haven’t even seen the team play yet. It’s bizarre. And some will believe him.
Agreed! Every team has problems, the Cowboy's are not alone in that regard. Every team is usually one critical injury away from having a craptastic season, let's line up and see what happens. The Chiefs are now down two WR starters (pending a sure suspension on the one guy), it's not going to be a cakewalk for them either.

Majic

Reaction score

Agreed and if Bill Belichick ever interviews for HC in the future, I suspect this would be one of the first points he would make

Havic

Reaction score
A running back won’t help much when the line cannot create holes to run through. The run blocking was atrocious last year.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
The stats on all those guys say we don’t currently have an explosive backfield capable of threatening a defense. Even a great OL needs someone better than average to make for a great running game.
stats? What stats? When has Malik Davis or Dowdle started a game and been a featured back that got 15 or more carries in a single game?

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
Proof of this in The Emmitt years. Emmitt's back ups didn't look so great behind that offensive line of the 1990s.
Troy Hambrick comes to mind , the guy was phenomenal when running 2nd fiddle and when he was made starter, stunk

Reid1boys

Reaction score
That’s the same kind of analysis which has plagued us with this FO. They always wait and see how it plays out instead of anticipating weaknesses and being proactive.
and when they drafted a back high, you said they were idiots for drafting a back high.

AstroPilota

Reaction score
A running back won’t help much when the line cannot create holes to run through. The run blocking was atrocious last year.
I lost count how many times a defender met one of our RB's in the backfield. It was ugly.

JBS

Reaction score
We had the most expensive running back in the nfl. What do you mean