CFZ Why is this not obvious to our FO?

leeblair

Reaction score
Whatever anyone thinks about Dak Prescott as the Cowboys starting QB, unless something really surprising happens soon, he will be the starting QB here at least through the upcoming 2024 season. PLEASE NOTE: This is not a “yay Dak” thread. It’s a “Go Cowboys” thread asking, “What gives us the best chance to win?”

Knowing what I’ve read about Dak’s strengths and weaknesses as a QB, I will never understand why this FO doesn’t see the best way to make Dak successful. What is it? Having a really good running game. Yes, that’s true about all QBs but even more so with Dak. Look at the evidence:

• Dak’s all time regular season record is 73-41. But look even deeper:
    • When the team rushes for 100 or more yards a game, Dak and the Cowboys are 64-17. When rushing for less than 100 yards, the Cowboys are 9-24 with Dak as starting QB.
    • When Dak throws 30 or less passes, the Cowboys are 28-6. When throwing more than that, the Cowboys are 45-41.
  • Despite having a bad year with int’s in 2022 with 17, Dak only had 8 in ‘23 and is actually very good all time protecting the ball. Yes he’s had some terrible INTs in the playoffs, but historically he’s pretty good at not turning it over.
    • Dak is 9th all time in NFL history with a 1.9 interceptions per 100 attempts. That’s pretty good. (Aaron Rodgers is #1 all time with 1.4; Brady and Mahomes are both ranked 5th at 1.8)
So here’s my bottom line point: Why didn’t we try harder to get a decent RB and make this running game much better in 2024? I’m not even sure Mike McCarthy is the right HC if running the ball is what this QB needs. We did potentially improve our OL, but can anyone say with a straight face that having Zeke, Rico Dowdle and anyone else on this roster will make for a better running game this year?

Again…does this front office not understand what this team needs to win? The evidence is there - having a strong running game is critical to this team’s success. Why did this FO not make it better this off-season?
The easy read is that the Cowboys cannot be dependent upon Dak to win.
That's not meant to be a cheap shot at Dak.
IF the Cowboys want to be successful, they must win in every facet of the game and keep from having to rely on Dak to make the difference.
Because, as you pointed out, the less Dak is asked to do, the better the team fares.

John813

Reaction score
The front office this offseason was very passive.

Passing on guys like Zach Moss who signed a 2 yr, 8mil deal.
I get avoiding the Josh Jacobs/Barkley 10+mil AAV demands, but 4mil AAV is peanuts, especially with a deal that has a grand total of 3mil guaranteed. It's a 1+1 deal

Signed Zeke for a maximum value of 3mil AAV, cap hit of 2mil. Moss cap hit for 2024 is 2.9m.

Is Moss the savior? No, but at least had a 4.33ypc for the Colts. Think they got caught up on favoritism and just ran it back + Zeke

Diehardblues

Reaction score
and when they drafted a back high, you said they were idiots for drafting a back high.
They were. It was an over reaction to the failed RB by committee the previous season.

In other words you have no reasoning why they didn’t draft a RB this year.

You believe they know what their doing and fully support?

Last edited:

JonesBoys

Reaction score
Whatever anyone thinks about Dak Prescott as the Cowboys starting QB, unless something really surprising happens soon, he will be the starting QB here at least through the upcoming 2024 season. PLEASE NOTE: This is not a “yay Dak” thread. It’s a “Go Cowboys” thread asking, “What gives us the best chance to win?”

Knowing what I’ve read about Dak’s strengths and weaknesses as a QB, I will never understand why this FO doesn’t see the best way to make Dak successful. What is it? Having a really good running game. Yes, that’s true about all QBs but even more so with Dak. Look at the evidence:

• When the team rushes for 100 or more yards a game, Dak and the Cowboys are 64-17. When rushing for less than 100 yards, the Cowboys are 9-24 with Dak as starting QB.
    • When Dak throws 30 or less passes, the Cowboys are 28-6. When throwing more than that, the Cowboys are 45-41.
  • Despite having a bad year with int’s in 2022 with 17, Dak only had 8 in ‘23 and is actually very good all time protecting the ball. Yes he’s had some terrible INTs in the playoffs, but historically he’s pretty good at not turning it over.
    • Dak is 9th all time in NFL history with a 1.9 interceptions per 100 attempts. That’s pretty good. (Aaron Rodgers is #1 all time with 1.4; Brady and Mahomes are both ranked 5th at 1.8)
So here’s my bottom line point: Why didn’t we try harder to get a decent RB and make this running game much better in 2024? I’m not even sure Mike McCarthy is the right HC if running the ball is what this QB needs. We did potentially improve our OL, but can anyone say with a straight face that having Zeke, Rico Dowdle and anyone else on this roster will make for a better running game this year?

Again…does this front office not understand what this team needs to win? The evidence is there - having a strong running game is critical to this team’s success. Why did this FO not make it better this off-season?
Well you are talking about a front office that hasn't sniffed an NFC championship game much less a super bowl in almost 3 decades so that may answer your question.

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
Imagine how easy this would be if a real GM was brought in instead of the old bat we now have. We even have an FB that can be used effectively, to improve OL play and health...yet here we are still wondering why, if, how come?

rambo2

Reaction score

They did improve the offensive line. If they can stay healthy they should be able to run the ball.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Rushing yardage means nothing as it correlates to wins. It's like saying "teams who kneel to end the game win 100% of the time."

Investing in the run game is stupid, because the best way to get an efficient and consistent running game is to throw the ball and play with a lead. Offenses like Tennessee and Baltimore always fall short because they don't have standalone passing games.

Manster_Mash

Reaction score

All In

Reid1boys

Reaction score
They were. It was an over reaction to the failed RB by committee the previous season.

In other words you have no reasoning why they didn’t draft a RB this year.

You believe they know what their doing and fully support?
Have a good day, sir........

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
As for a running game, I believe in investing at C and T is more productive than at RB.

Our run game might not produce as many big plays over a recovering Pollard from last year but the push inside of Smith, Beebe, and Martin are going to be tough for any defense to handle this year in short yardage and in the red zone.

I predict our rushing TDs will go up significantly on virtue of that last bit alone. Zeke might have 10 or more. Any RB will enjoy consistent push the likes we have not seen since it was Gurode, TFred, and Martin.

We have the short yardage and possession side of the running game handled. The part that does most of the scoring and controls the outcome of games by getting first downs to run out the clock.

We do not have big play potential at RB running the ball as they all can be chased down relatively easily. Dak instead has Lamb, Ferguson and about 8 other receivers to throw to.

I really want to see where Vaughn is but we do need 20+ yard runs to score a whole lot of points and control the ball on offense? Of course not.

Bagman

Reaction score

Because they're terrible at what they do. Lazy, stubborn and thick headed. They refuse to change anything that makes it look like they made a mistake. They'd rather fail.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
They must believe Zeke is enough.

And all the #15 jerseys they can sell now.

Go Cowboys… lol

cheftjpeck

Reaction score
I'd argue strongly that the FO is the issue over the past 20+ years!! They don't want to just win, they want to win their way...
I’d take that a step further
They want to win their way but winning is not their priority
Staying relevant and making $$$ is

shabazz

Reaction score

Perhaps Jerry knows he won't be resigning Rayne so what better way to position the team via the draft for 2025?

eromeopolk

Reaction score

Because your GM is Jerry Dumbo GM Jones that is a billionaire and not a football personnel focused only GM, you will never have competent GM decisions. Until they hand the keys to Will McClay as GM or a true GM this will never be a Super Bowl Contending team. Proof is 30 consecutive years of this fact.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The easy read is that the Cowboys cannot be dependent upon Dak to win.
That's not meant to be a cheap shot at Dak.
IF the Cowboys want to be successful, they must win in every facet of the game and keep from having to rely on Dak to make the difference.
Because, as you pointed out, the less Dak is asked to do, the better the team fares.
Yeah but it’s actually more than that. It’s not that Dak is incapable of winning without a running game. He does have a winning record in games he throws more 30 passes per game. And he is ranked #9th all time in his interception to passes thrown ratio.

So it’s not that Dak cannot ever win in games he’s asked to do a lot. It’s just that the team does so much better when he has a good running game to make the opposing defenses not get away with keeping their safeties back in coverage. It’s hard for any QB o be as effective when the safeties don’t have to respect the running game and can just play two deep coverages.

A good running game forces defenses to have to cheat their safeties up out of respect for what the running game could do. In the terrible losses in the regular season last year to Ariz, SF and Buff, the running game was non-existent in the first quarter and in each of those games, the Cowboys were down two scores in the first qtr, essentially making the running game a non-factor. In the GB playoff game loss, we had no running game when we needed it early.

I’m not ”defending” Dak. I’m just pointing out when we don’t have a running game, the offense’s success or failure falls completely on the QB.