CFZ Why is this not obvious to our FO?

rambo2

Reaction score
Bob , We have amatuers in 2 top level front office positions.
Until this changes, we are going to continue to make head scratching moves, or non moves.
They have put together a good team, you don't seem to realize that.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Say with a straight face we've tried this before and it didn't get us any further did it we wouldn't be talking about 28 years of failing in the playoffs and not getting to an NCAA championship game we've had DeMarco Murray and Ezekiel Elliott having some of their best career years here and it didn't help if you look around the NFL

show me all the impact top five running backs that are finishing deep in the playoffs and winning with the trophy in their hand it's almost always the opposite you have Kansas City winning with the number 7th round draft pick..

There are pros and cons of having a top running back but I look at Christian McCaffrey one of the best backs in the league they overpaid him they traded draft picks for him and guess what it's still been since 1994 since they've won a Super Bowl they didn't get any further with him than they did with the running back by committee you're trying to tell me Mozart when he's doing for Miami he couldn't still be doing for them and a lot cheaper?

I mean Saquon Barkley didn't make the giants a perennial All-Star Justin Jacobs didn't do anything for the Raiders literally the same thing in indy, and there are many, i mean it can go on and on.

So yes, there's an argument for it but I would trust if you can get the offensive line and the play calling using to correct back for the situation that you need him for which I don't think they did last year they're running back by committee can work...

I mean it's been since what Emmitt Smith and Terrell Davis since the last time a Russian crown or a top running back also was on the winning Super Bowl team? Derrick Henry supposed to be the best back in the league the last five years everybody wanted him here but I don't remember his team winning any hardware?

Right and the next thing that crosses your mind is it's a team game it is that goes for the whole entire league but when it comes to our team we are far from just being a running back away because we've already written that story Jerry's provided us with some of the best backs in the history of the Dallas Cowboys since he's been here and it hasn't got us to the promised land..

So anybody who comes in here with the pros them thinking if we got a better back this offseason it would help they better realize we had far more deficiencies than running back and if there's one position you can cover up by using a committee and using the right play calls and the right packages for the right players it would be at running back you can go lean at running back..

Show me who the running back was for the Kansas City Chiefs &thg rounder leading the way, Los Angeles Rams Akers seriously ? hell most of the New England Patriots teams weren't any true elite backs, the last teams that are consistently winning Super Bowls who are their running backs?

i mean burrows had milton and Philly had sanders both better than the winner's team, but also in losing not elite.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Say with a straight face we've tried this before and it didn't get us any further did it we wouldn't be talking about 28 years of failing in the playoffs and not getting to an NCAA championship game we've had DeMarco Murray and Ezekiel Elliott having some of their best career years here and it didn't help if you look around the NFL

show me all the impact top five running backs that are finishing deep in the playoffs and winning with the trophy in their hand it's almost always the opposite you have Kansas City winning with the number 7th round draft pick..

There are pros and cons of having a top running back but I look at Christian McCaffrey one of the best backs in the league they overpaid him they traded draft picks for him and guess what it's still been since 1994 since they've won a Super Bowl they didn't get any further with him than they did with the running back by committee you're trying to tell me Mozart when he's doing for Miami he couldn't still be doing for them and a lot cheaper?

I mean Saquon Barkley didn't make the giants a perennial All-Star Justin Jacobs didn't do anything for the Raiders literally the same thing in indy, and there are many, i mean it can go on and on.

So yes, there's an argument for it but I would trust if you can get the offensive line and the play calling using to correct back for the situation that you need him for which I don't think they did last year they're running back by committee can work...

I mean it's been since what Emmitt Smith and Terrell Davis since the last time a Russian crown or a top running back also was on the winning Super Bowl team? Derrick Henry supposed to be the best back in the league the last five years everybody wanted him here but I don't remember his team winning any hardware?

Right and the next thing that crosses your mind is it's a team game it is that goes for the whole entire league but when it comes to our team we are far from just being a running back away because we've already written that story Jerry's provided us with some of the best backs in the history of the Dallas Cowboys since he's been here and it hasn't got us to the promised land..

So anybody who comes in here with the pros them thinking if we got a better back this offseason it would help they better realize we had far more deficiencies than running back and if there's one position you can cover up by using a committee and using the right play calls and the right packages for the right players it would be at running back you can go lean at running back..

Show me who the running back was for the Kansas City Chiefs &thg rounder leading the way, Los Angeles Rams Akers seriously ? hell most of the New England Patriots teams weren't any true elite backs, the last teams that are consistently winning Super Bowls who are their running backs?

i mean burrows had milton and Philly had sanders both better than the winner's team, but also in losing not elite.
Blue, who said anything about needing “elite” backs? We don’t have to have an elite back. We just need someone with 4th-5th round talent that still has some juice. We had the opportunity to draft one this year and last year but chose not to.

Since you mentioned KC, the chiefs have Isiah Pacheco, a 2022 7th round pick who rushed for 935 yds last year and averages 4.7 yards per carry for his career and added 44 receptions out of the backfield last year. Pacheco is better than anyone we have at RB right now. He’s not elite but he’s very good.

We don’t have to have someone who is elite. But I don’t think we can objectively say our RB room is even in the top 25 of the NFL right now. Elite? I would settle for “good”.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Blue, who said anything about needing “elite” backs? We don’t have to have an elite back. We just need someone with 4th-5th round talent that still has some juice. We had the opportunity to draft one this year and last year but chose not to.

Since you mentioned KC, the chiefs have Isiah Pacheco, a 2022 7th round pick who rushed for 935 yds last year and averages 4.7 yards per carry for his career and added 44 receptions out of the backfield last year. Pacheco is better than anyone we have at RB right now. He’s not elite but he’s very good.

We don’t have to have someone who is elite. But I don’t think we can objectively say our RB room is even in the top 25 of the NFL right now. Elite? I would settle for “good”.
I'm telling you I believe the guys on this team are probably as good as who you're mentioning maybe not age wise or health wise but you can't predict all that stuff I get what you're saying but I'm telling you the reason I replied that way because I believe Rico and some of the other players, you haven't even given Nathaniel Peat a chance, I would love to see them do Nathaniel Peat like they're doing Trey Lance I would like to see a longer snap count for him and some of the other young players with the same focus they put on the pass game it was apparent they abandoned the run game last preseason games so they can work with Trey Lance and give as many snaps as possible... Nathaniel reminds me of Tony and there's no reason a guy like him can't be a good running back in the NFL isn't that the old narrative that they shouldn't have paid Ezekiel Elliott because of the offensive line and the play calls and the way the offensive coordinator designs plays most of these running backs in the NFL can be plug and play that is what was said now all of a sudden it's not that because we saw life without a prime Ezekiel Elliott or a prime Murray.. But I believe it could be like 2015 maybe even better I mean we had 1000 yard back it just wasn't fancy we have those types of guys on the team right now.. So let's give it a chance..

However,

I believe that they start getting to more of a traditional play calling and try to work the rest of this preseason on both the run game and the pass game we will see more out of these players I believe the running back by committee if utilized properly which it wasn't last year I believe Rico should have got Tony snaps ,you know the same play calls and Tony should have got the play calls Rico was brought in on they were completely used improperly last year...

So, you're entitled to your opinion and my opinion we have guys on this staff that can get it done from my viewpoint until its proven wrong...

blueblood70

Reaction score

Ohh and to add to that just so I can see both sides of the claim and I'm not just being argumentative I was just as frustrated or befuddled that when it got around the fifth round and there were still a couple solid guys left that they went other directions and didn't pick one of those last running backs.. It was even more confused on why The Jets already having a couple stud running backs it kept drafting more running backs and by the way that said I believe they're going to have an overflow they're either going to trade some guys for some low picks are they going to outright release some good guys on that team they've got way too many running backs they're one of the problems that caused us not to pick a running back is because they got greedy with the running back position...

But yes I was just as frustrated when I saw them letting some of these names we may have had on our list around late fourth round and 5th round let them just go on past them so yes we're on draft day I agree I thought they would do that but looking at it objectively I don't know that those dudes were going to be better than anything we have on our team right now and I think if given the chance over the next couple of preseason games and let the coaches pick the best of what we have and utilize them properly with this new offensive line that I believe is going to be better in the run game we're going to be a little more physical got a little more nasty in them that the run game will be improved..

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
I‘m hard pressed to find a front office in sports that has the comfort to throw away whole seasons now and then.
They want Dak to prove he's worth the money and he can be an elite qb. He can't. He needs a good running game to keep the pressure off him. In the end they are going to give him what he wants anyway so let's waste a season proving what we already know. This is why I'm convinced I'll never see another sb in my lifetime. Just wasting seasons over and over again. We saw it with Garrett too. Most of us knew he wasn't it by year 3 but we wasted 10 years with him.

rambo2

Reaction score
They want Dak to prove he's worth the money and he can be an elite qb. He can't. He needs a good running game to keep the pressure off him. In the end they are going to give him what he wants anyway so let's waste a season proving what we already know. This is why I'm convinced I'll never see another sb in my lifetime. Just wasting seasons over and over again. We saw it with Garrett too. Most of us knew he wasn't it by year 3 but we wasted 10 years with him.
They aren't wasting.a season. They got the olinemen and the linebackers that they needed. I think that their draft was excellent. I believe that they will contend this year.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
This season screams that it's an "I'll show you" season. Really don't know what else to make of it.
Doing nothing at DT too.
They're just leaving gaping holes in the team.

I just don't see how that's consistent with "Dak is our guy and we're working hard on resigning him."

Why would they lock in a crap season for the first year of a new contract for Dak? I can't see any sense in that.

But I do see sense in locking in a crap season for Dak if they're trying to force him to consent to a trade. Though I don't know if any team needing a QB would have the cap flexibility to take Dak this year.

I dunno. Maybe it's just spite.

Reid1boys

Reaction score

When Pacheco was drafted and hadnt played a real game yet, NOBODY knew how good he would be. He had to be given carries and the opportunity to show what he could do. In the very limited time Collins and Dowdle have carried the ball, they have done well. I have no doubt they can avg 4.2 yards per carry... IF they are given a real chance. 5 carries a game is not a real chance. It is those 20 yard runs that bring those avgs up.

Remember last year when everyone was blasting the FO saying we needed to go out and sign ... oh whats his name.... Mason Crosby, that veteran kicker that would have cost about 1 million dollars? Remember that??? I do... and what happened? They gave a rookie kicker a shot and he was as good as any in the NFL last year, despite what the experts from this forum had to say about it.

I see starting backs go down every season, and some back we have never heard of steps in and kicks butt. Im not sweating the backfield... im not sweating our offense.

rambo2

Reaction score
Doing nothing at DT too.
They're just leaving gaping holes in the team.

I just don't see how that's consistent with "Dak is our guy and we're working hard on resigning him."

Why would they lock in a crap season for the first year of a new contract for Dak? I can't see any sense in that.

But I do see sense in locking in a crap season for Dak if they're trying to force him to consent to a trade. Though I don't know if any team needing a QB would have the cap flexibility to take Dak this year.

I dunno. Maybe it's just spite.
They just traded for a dtackle and some think they will add another one.

rambo2

Reaction score
When Pacheco was drafted and hadnt played a real game yet, NOBODY knew how good he would be. He had to be given carries and the opportunity to show what he could do. In the very limited time Collins and Dowdle have carried the ball, they have done well. I have no doubt they can avg 4.2 yards per carry... IF they are given a real chance. 5 carries a game is not a real chance. It is those 20 yard runs that bring those avgs up.

Remember last year when everyone was blasting the FO saying we needed to go out and sign ... oh whats his name.... Mason Crosby, that veteran kicker that would have cost about 1 million dollars? Remember that??? I do... and what happened? They gave a rookie kicker a shot and he was as good as any in the NFL last year, despite what the experts from this forum had to say about it.

I see starting backs go down every season, and some back we have never heard of steps in and kicks butt. Im not sweating the backfield... im not sweating our offense.
I think Rico is as good as Pacheco.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
They just traded for a dtackle and some think they will add another one.
Driving around the neighborhood with your pickup on big trash day picking up whatever the neighbors left out gets you a tick above a warm body.
Not a great season last year, and is fat and old. That usually doesn't get better.

rambo2

Reaction score
Driving around the neighborhood with your pickup on big trash day picking up whatever the neighbors left out gets you a tick above a warm body.
Not a great season last year, and is fat and old. That usually doesn't get better.
The dtackle they got is a good one. It seems that you are ignorant to that. You didn't see the Buffalo game last year?