CFZ Why is this not obvious to our FO?

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Jerry won 3 super bowls. Landry won 2. When Landry was coaching there was no free agency. The players stayed where they were drafted.
Landry was a head coach. Jerry Jones has never been a head coach. Jerry Jones has won nothing. He’s a liquored up rich guy willing to impregnate flight attendants and subsequently pay what he has to not to have to recognize his child as his. That’s the measure of Jerry Jones. Compared to Tom Landry he’s barely even a man.

Flamma

Reaction score
Again…does this front office not understand what this team needs to win? The evidence is there - having a strong running game is critical to this team’s success. Why did this FO not make it better this off-season?
What you said is pretty much true for any team that doesn't have an elite, or HOF quarterback. Defenses are stacking the box, and the QB is throwing less into coverage, and under more favorable conditions. We saw that with Romo in 2014. He was far less reckless. But with QBs like Manning, Rodgers, Brady, Mahomes, it doesn't matter as much. Maybe Jerry thinks he has one of those? Ask people in here. They'll tell you we do.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
So here’s my bottom line point: Why didn’t we try harder to get a decent RB and make this running game much better in 2024? I’m not even sure Mike McCarthy is the right HC if running the ball is what this QB needs. We did potentially improve our OL, but can anyone say with a straight face that having Zeke, Rico Dowdle and anyone else on this roster will make for a better running game this year?

Again…does this front office not understand what this team needs to win? The evidence is there - having a strong running game is critical to this team’s success. Why did this FO not make it better this off-season?
Only explanation that made sense to me was that they wanted to pressure Dak to agree to a trade.
Let the 2nd Team All Pro LT walk, start a rookie project in his place, and start a rookie C project too, add nothing at WR, let the starting RB walk, then do nothing to replace him.
We spent no picks at RB, and then only spent 2mil to make more money on some new Zeke jerseys.
If we thought Dak was the guy and planned on signing him to an extension, wouldn't we want to make *something* of this year, instead of leaving RB so undermanned, a mistake so easily corrected with a few more mil or a draft pick?
Dak is looking at a contract year where the offense will *all* be on his shoulders and he has to worry about rookie projects at the 2 top olineman positions getting him killed, and without any legitimate starting RB.
What else could they possibly have done to screw Dak this year without simply setting the offense on fire?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
they drafted 2 Ol with 2 of their first 3 picks. Our Oline with theexception of Martin is now pretty damn young. You think that isnt looking at the running game?
Not looking at the running game for *this* year if we didn't get a real tailback. The football isn't going to run itself.

FVSTONE

Reaction score
Whatever anyone thinks about Dak Prescott as the Cowboys starting QB, unless something really surprising happens soon, he will be the starting QB here at least through the upcoming 2024 season. PLEASE NOTE: This is not a “yay Dak” thread. It’s a “Go Cowboys” thread asking, “What gives us the best chance to win?”

Knowing what I’ve read about Dak’s strengths and weaknesses as a QB, I will never understand why this FO doesn’t see the best way to make Dak successful. What is it? Having a really good running game. Yes, that’s true about all QBs but even more so with Dak. Look at the evidence:

• Dak’s all time regular season record is 73-41. But look even deeper:
    • When the team rushes for 100 or more yards a game, Dak and the Cowboys are 64-17. When rushing for less than 100 yards, the Cowboys are 9-24 with Dak as starting QB.
    • When Dak throws 30 or less passes, the Cowboys are 28-6. When throwing more than that, the Cowboys are 45-41.
  • Despite having a bad year with int’s in 2022 with 17, Dak only had 8 in ‘23 and is actually very good all time protecting the ball. Yes he’s had some terrible INTs in the playoffs, but historically he’s pretty good at not turning it over.
    • Dak is 9th all time in NFL history with a 1.9 interceptions per 100 attempts. That’s pretty good. (Aaron Rodgers is #1 all time with 1.4; Brady and Mahomes are both ranked 5th at 1.8)
So here’s my bottom line point: Why didn’t we try harder to get a decent RB and make this running game much better in 2024? I’m not even sure Mike McCarthy is the right HC if running the ball is what this QB needs. We did potentially improve our OL, but can anyone say with a straight face that having Zeke, Rico Dowdle and anyone else on this roster will make for a better running game this year?

Bobby, you make a great argument for Prescott. But in order to surround him with a great O-line and running back he needs to rethink his demand for $60 million a yr. Also, Prescott has been fortunate to have a great running back and O-line and he still struggled against the better teams. So what else can this organization do for this overpaid, over hyped underachieving QB to help him succeed and get to a NFC championship game or even a second round game?????

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Whatever anyone thinks about Dak Prescott as the Cowboys starting QB, unless something really surprising happens soon, he will be the starting QB here at least through the upcoming 2024 season. PLEASE NOTE: This is not a “yay Dak” thread. It’s a “Go Cowboys” thread asking, “What gives us the best chance to win?”

Knowing what I’ve read about Dak’s strengths and weaknesses as a QB, I will never understand why this FO doesn’t see the best way to make Dak successful. What is it? Having a really good running game. Yes, that’s true about all QBs but even more so with Dak. Look at the evidence:

• When the team rushes for 100 or more yards a game, Dak and the Cowboys are 64-17. When rushing for less than 100 yards, the Cowboys are 9-24 with Dak as starting QB.
    • When Dak throws 30 or less passes, the Cowboys are 28-6. When throwing more than that, the Cowboys are 45-41.
  • Despite having a bad year with int’s in 2022 with 17, Dak only had 8 in ‘23 and is actually very good all time protecting the ball. Yes he’s had some terrible INTs in the playoffs, but historically he’s pretty good at not turning it over.
    • Dak is 9th all time in NFL history with a 1.9 interceptions per 100 attempts. That’s pretty good. (Aaron Rodgers is #1 all time with 1.4; Brady and Mahomes are both ranked 5th at 1.8)

The Jones' are 'mailing in' this season, and certainly part of that is making Dak 'earn' the contract and make sure he's worth it......childish-maybe.....but as pretty much every Dak fan has said, he has all the leverage, why give him a showcase scenario (and a great running game) where he's able to offload and up his contract......in a year where we have a tough schedule and a number of holes.

Isnt ONE of the criticism's of Jerry is that we have to be relevant EVERY SEASON, well that certainly was the case in 2023 (even a DREADFUL draft, which with Mazi/Schoon was OBVIOUSLY a draft for need). We could of drafted a RB, but for me 'stick to the process', because when we dont follow the process 2023 happens.

Indeed, some of us laud the idea that we're going back to basics and looking at the O-Line first, in a way even looking to the simulate the 2016 line, a line that will enable a RB and QB.....may not come to fruition this season, but hopefully 2025.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I'm holding out hope that the FO will decide to welcome a capable RB from the final cuts.

What we have now isn't worthy of acclaim. Let's hope Jerry & Son might agree with that.

kskboys

Reaction score
I don’t dislike the Jordan Phillips acquisition. But getting a 31 year old DT who is on the downside of a decent career is going to help with depth but it won’t be a “dominant” pickup.

Basically he‘s Jonathan Hankins 2.0 for about $700k a year cheaper. And there’s a reason why a division rival is willing to trade him. He’s not considered a a huge difference maker or the giants wouldn’t have given him up.
And I don't believe he's anywhere near as good as Hankins.

kskboys

Reaction score
Only explanation that made sense to me was that they wanted to pressure Dak to agree to a trade.
Let the 2nd Team All Pro LT walk, start a rookie project in his place, and start a rookie C project too, add nothing at WR, let the starting RB walk, then do nothing to replace him.
We spent no picks at RB, and then only spent 2mil to make more money on some new Zeke jerseys.
If we thought Dak was the guy and planned on signing him to an extension, wouldn't we want to make *something* of this year, instead of leaving RB so undermanned, a mistake so easily corrected with a few more mil or a draft pick?
Dak is looking at a contract year where the offense will *all* be on his shoulders and he has to worry about rookie projects at the 2 top olineman positions getting him killed, and without any legitimate starting RB.
What else could they possibly have done to screw Dak this year without simply setting the offense on fire?
Man, that's been my thinking.

Basically, it's going to be impossible to pay both Dak and CD what they want. The salary cap room just isn't there. Paying both is going to put us straight back on the path we're on, High flying O that fizzles early in the playoffs and poor D.

This season screams that it's an "I'll show you" season. Really don't know what else to make of it.

RD21

Reaction score
I love a good running game. It was historically our offensive ticket to Lombardi's. Having said that, (sadly) the game has changed. It's much more air driven than ground driven today.

I couldn't help but notice the default draft order as I get ready to draft a FF team. Years ago, almost everyone drafted 2 running backs before anything else. I realize I'm painting with a broad brush. There was always the guy who drafted Peyton Manning, or the top 2 WR's in the league, but that was generally because they didn't get a top RB. If you look at the default order based on last year's results, there's 6 WR's in the top 10.

It's pretty evenly split between WR's & RB's where it used to be very RB heavy in the first 25 picks. All of your top RB's are catching passes and scoring receiving TD's now too. I think this is just more evidence that the air attack is producing more results than the ground attack league wide.

I ain't saying I like it.....

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

Bob , We have amatuers in 2 top level front office positions.
Until this changes, we are going to continue to make head scratching moves, or non moves.