Why isn’t Sam Williams playing more?

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Tape shows Sam Williams is much stronger and at times more dominant than our starting D-line. Why isn't Sam Williams not playing more?

Sam Williams looks like he could definitely be worth playing more against this December stretch of tough teams, including the playoffs.

What say you?

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
So you're saying he should be benched then. Okay.
Doh! A double negative! This is what happens when I'm being bothered by 3 - 5 different people by texts at the same time I'm trying to post on here.
:facepalm:

Thanks for reminding me of my mistake bro.

Can a Mod please correct the double negative in my opening post's question?

movaughn88

Reaction score
He's still developing and has been thrown into an important role on ST as the gunner, which is a wild thing for a man his size but important to keep him fresh.

Also he comes in as a situational pass rusher - whose spot do you want him to take? He currently rotates in at that spot about the same as Fowler and less than Dorrance, which I think is about right.

Our DL is one of the strengths of our team and he's important depth, so hopefully he doesn't HAVE to play more.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
The guy is primarily a DE and we're not pulling Tank, who is much better against the run, or Micah just to get Sam more snaps. He could play a little more inside, but here could be other factors as well, how he plays the run, maintain gap integrity, scheme/play recognition, etc. There are things that we just aren't privy to during practice that they still need to see more of or work on, before he earns more snaps. He definitely has a higher ceiling, just keep improving and more snaps will follow.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Maybe he's failing to put in the time to be a complete player. In other words, perhaps he's freelancing and worrying more about sacks than his assignments or keys. Hell, he was a Quinn favorite. So whatever it is, he needs to get his head out of his a_____.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
The guy is primarily a DE and we're not pulling Tank, who is much better against the run, or Micah just to get Sam more snaps. He could play a little more inside, but here could be other factors as well, how he plays the run, maintain gap integrity, scheme/play recognition, etc. There are things that we just aren't privy to during practice that they still need to see more of or work on, before he earns more snaps. He definitely has a higher ceiling, just keep improving and more snaps will follow.
This^^^^^^^^^^

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Tape shows Sam Williams is much stronger and at times more dominant than our starting D-line. Why isn't Sam Williams not playing more?

Sam Williams looks like he could definitely be worth playing more against this December stretch of tough teams, including the playoffs.

What say you?

Making bonehead special team plays has not helped his cause.

ak47kaehu

Reaction score
OK hear me out.....Sam Williams reminds me a bit of Micah. Quick first step, explosive, strong, has a nose for the QB....how about they put Micah at LB if and when needed for those run heavy teams and do the things Micah does with Sam Williams?? At least give it a try and have a few packages to sample before the playoffs right? Get all your stud players on the field kinda thing!

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
OK hear me out.....Sam Williams reminds me a bit of Micah. Quick first step, explosive, strong, has a nose for the QB....how about they put Micah at LB if and when needed for those run heavy teams and do the things Micah does with Sam Williams?? At least give it a try and have a few packages to sample before the playoffs right? Get all your stud players on the field kinda thing!
I like it! It's a shame Dan Quinn hasn't experimented with this idea this year. Have Micah drop in mid-coverage at times or even play some middle LB while Sam Williams uses his strength and quickness along the edge. Have Micah follow Debo Samuels out in the flats while Sam Williams brings the heat from the edge or wherever needed along the Dline. Then have both Micah and Sam blitz from the edges or even inside with each in the A gaps. Good luck to opposing Olines trying to block both blitzing from the inside!

CWR

Reaction score
Yes and look at the reliability we have with our other ends like Law and Dorance. He may be the more explosive player but the guys ahead of him are dependable.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He's one of my pet cats. I think Quinn is bringing him along nicely. He is learning a positional discipline, which is what he lacks at times but he's gonna be a good one.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
Doh! A double negative! This is what happens when I'm being bothered by 3 - 5 different people by texts at the same time I'm trying to post on here.
:facepalm:

Thanks for reminding me of my mistake bro.

Can a Mod please correct the double negative in my opening post's question?
This is what happens when you do one thing at once. Like Joe.

phildadon86

Reaction score

What say you?

He’s a penalty magnet, for one, and 2 he’s very selfish. He needs to learn to maintain gap integrity. His run D is trash as of now. Not something he can’t work on.