Why isn’t Sam Williams playing more?

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Tape shows Sam Williams is much stronger and at times more dominant than our starting D-line. Why isn't Sam Williams not playing more?

Sam Williams looks like he could definitely be worth playing more against this December stretch of tough teams, including the playoffs.

What say you?

Depth. Right now he is our 4th pass rusher. And even then he and Fowler are close in snaps. With a winning team they lean heavier on vet players than young ones. I expect next season he will be in around 50% to 60% of the snaps. Fowler and Armstrong are both FA's

MyFairLady

Reaction score
All the physical tools one would ever need. 10 cent brain. He is lucky to still be on the team. Can you imagine the message it would send to reward players like him. Hey guys don't worry about suspensions or about learning the defense or being reliable. You will get played anyway. Sure the guy could be an absolute monster. Same could be said for tons of people. Gregory, David Irving, heck even Bossmanfat. You gotta know the difference. For poeple on a Cowboy what forum some of you don't seem to follow the team very closely.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Fowler has 5 in fewer snaps

3 penalties in 250 snaps definitely doesn't make someone a "penalty magnet"
Well. Maybe they come on crucial plays then because to me it seemed he was always at fault for something stupid.

J-man

Reaction score
Dude has tremendous upside as a DE and could be a very valuable asset as time goes on. I just hope the FO doesn't do their usual bone head move and bring this guy up and then let him walk when it's time to re-sign him only to see him blossom somewhere else.

Rayman70

Reaction score
physically gifted but low football IQ. Thats why he still has the training wheels...ie the spot duty.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Dude has tremendous upside as a DE and could be a very valuable asset as time goes on. I just hope the FO doesn't do their usual bone head move and bring this guy up and then let him walk when it's time to re-sign him only to see him blossom somewhere else.
the term "upside" or potential, those words get coaches,GM's and scouts fired. Upside sounds dandy,unless its never realized on the field for 1 reason or another. Usually its because said player lacks something between the ears. Sam wants to be set free...well...its up to him.

Rayman70

Reaction score
He’s a penalty magnet, for one, and 2 he’s very selfish. He needs to learn to maintain gap integrity. His run D is trash as of now. Not something he can’t work on.
well said. In layman terms, he's a raw project. His main issue is whats between the ears. I think in Mississippi, he was coddled, use to having the keys to the car handed to him starting in Highschool thru college. Thats my guess. Hés selfish and entitled. Its his upbringing and the culture. Like you said above, some things can't be fixed. Thats my fear. I do like the fact he has made plays on special teams. I mean, its a start. Now if we can at least carve out a role for him on obvious passing downs. I'm scared to death hes gonna draw a flag.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Tape shows Sam Williams is much stronger and at times more dominant than our starting D-line. Why isn't Sam Williams not playing more?

Sam Williams looks like he could definitely be worth playing more against this December stretch of tough teams, including the playoffs.

What say you?

If he isn't playing its Because he sucks or has a bad attitude. Coaches play the best players. Period!

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
well said. In layman terms, he's a raw project. His main issue is whats between the ears. I think in Mississippi, he was coddled, use to having the keys to the car handed to him starting in Highschool thru college. Thats my guess. Hés selfish and entitled. Its his upbringing and the culture. Like you said above, some things can't be fixed. Thats my fear. I do like the fact he has made plays on special teams. I mean, its a start. Now if we can at least carve out a role for him on obvious passing downs. I'm scared to death hes gonna draw a flag.
You do realize he has had 3 sacks in the last 5 games right?

This whole thread has turned into examples of posters just saying things without putting any effort into putting forth well thought out content

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Like @darthseinfeld mentioned,

Sam Williams has 3 sacks in the last 5 games. That is second only to Micah's 5 sacks.

Posters ask, "Who do you sit down just to give Sam Williams more playing time?" As if choosing to play Sam Williams more is only a personal opinion over the other players currently getting more snaps? Well, which other players (other than Micah) getting more snaps currently has accumulated more sacks in the last 5 games than Sam Williams?

So y'all tell me who is the one making decisions based on personal preference? Me or you?

I'm just saying, based on current performance, Sam Williams deserves more playing time. Take plays away from those veterans who are not producing sacks as well in the last 5 games as Sam Williams has on a very limited role. The key is to get the most producing players on the field, especially against these next very tough 4 opponents, is it not?

:popcorn:

ak47kaehu

Reaction score
I like it! It's a shame Dan Quinn hasn't experimented with this idea this year. Have Micah drop in mid-coverage at times or even play some middle LB while Sam Williams uses his strength and quickness along the edge. Have Micah follow Debo Samuels out in the flats while Sam Williams brings the heat from the edge or wherever needed along the Dline. Then have both Micah and Sam blitz from the edges or even inside with each in the A gaps. Good luck to opposing Olines trying to block both blitzing from the inside!
He should have been working on these types of packages all season. I haven't seen anyone break down Micahs snaps at LB playing run or coverage but he has the lateral speed and burst to do it. And he won't get washed on run plays the way Bell would. Question is, does he have that ability to diagnose a play as it's developing and to react quickly? Playing them both on the field at the same time and blitzing Micah when the opportunity presents itself will keep offenses guessing a lot. Maybe they're saving these packages for certain games....

Pass2Run

Reaction score

What say you?

I say I've been saying it for a while. I wonder why he's not playing some LB, especially right now.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
He should have been working on these types of packages all season. I haven't seen anyone break down Micahs snaps at LB playing run or coverage but he has the lateral speed and burst to do it. And he won't get washed on run plays the way Bell would. Question is, does he have that ability to diagnose a play as it's developing and to react quickly? Playing them both on the field at the same time and blitzing Micah when the opportunity presents itself will keep offenses guessing a lot. Maybe they're saving these packages for certain games....
I've been disappointed in Dan Quinn's decisions this year. Our Defense has given up huge points throughout the season and also been most responsible during our 3 losses. Like you mentioned, Dan Quinn should have been working on these packages all season to where our Defense should be hitting its peak this late in the season. Instead, it's the opposite. Still guessing. :confused: