Why isn’t Sam Williams playing more?

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Who do you bench more to get him reps? Better question
I'm not for benching more but instead taking some plays from Armstrong, Fowler and Golston to give to Sam Williams. One can't deny Sam Williams has accumulated for sacks in the past 5 games than those guys have.

conner01

Reaction score
I'm not for benching more but instead taking some plays from Armstrong, Fowler and Golston to give to Sam Williams. One can't deny Sam Williams has accumulated for sacks in the past 5 games than those guys have.
Armstrong has 2 sacks over last 5 game. Sam has 1 in last 5 games. He has 3 earlier in the year. He’s playing 31% of snaps while Armstrong is playing 42%.

conner01

Reaction score
It's been said a bunch of times ITT, but the problems is between the ears.

Sam Williams is a rocked-up 6'3" 260 lbs and is fast enough to play freaking punt gunner. We've seen him produce in fits and starts, so the talent is all there. But the trust from the coaching staff isn't... he's having to earn it the slow way.

My guess is, if he finishes the year strong, he will take one of Fowler or Armstrong's jobs in 2024 and basically become the #3 DE. If he doesn't finish well and keeps making mistakes, then he's looking at a career crossroads.
I’m sure the hope is he can replace Armstrong. Fowler plays on both sides so not really holding Sam back. His competition is really armstrong has a voidable year next year so he very well could be gone

Beaker42

Reaction score
Williams should be getting almost all of Fowler’s snaps. He can’t possibly commit as many or more penalties as Fowler - can he??

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Armstrong has 2 sacks over last 5 game. Sam has 1 in last 5 games. He has 3 earlier in the year. He’s playing 31% of snaps while Armstrong is playing 42%.
Absolutely, not true.

Sam Williams actually has accumulated 3 sacks in the last 5 games. 1 more than Armstrong's 2 sacks in the last 5 games...

Picsart-23-12-08-15-55-58-934.jpg

https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/_/id/4567242/sam-williams

Last edited:

Jimbo123

Reaction score
OK hear me out.....Sam Williams reminds me a bit of Micah. Quick first step, explosive, strong, has a nose for the QB....how about they put Micah at LB if and when needed for those run heavy teams and do the things Micah does with Sam Williams?? At least give it a try and have a few packages to sample before the playoffs right? Get all your stud players on the field kinda thing!
This post should be forwarded to DQ immediately.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Like @darthseinfeld mentioned,

Sam Williams has 3 sacks in the last 5 games. That is second only to Micah's 5 sacks.

Posters ask, "Who do you sit down just to give Sam Williams more playing time?" As if choosing to play Sam Williams more is only a personal opinion over the other players currently getting more snaps? Well, which other players (other than Micah) getting more snaps currently has accumulated more sacks in the last 5 games than Sam Williams?

So y'all tell me who is the one making decisions based on personal preference? Me or you?

I'm just saying, based on current performance, Sam Williams deserves more playing time. Take plays away from those veterans who are not producing sacks as well in the last 5 games as Sam Williams has on a very limited role. The key is to get the most producing players on the field, especially against these next very tough 4 opponents, is it not?

:popcorn:
The coaches must not trust him. I wish they would give him most of Fowlers snaps. Fowler has been making EXTREMELY stupid penalties for the last two years now. Lining up offsides twice in the same gave should get a guy cut!

kskboys

Reaction score
OK hear me out.....Sam Williams reminds me a bit of Micah. Quick first step, explosive, strong, has a nose for the QB....how about they put Micah at LB if and when needed for those run heavy teams and do the things Micah does with Sam Williams?? At least give it a try and have a few packages to sample before the playoffs right? Get all your stud players on the field kinda thing!
Excellent synopsis!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If Sammy can play, it would make a better D.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
That is already been happening. Golston basically gets no DE snaps anymore outside goalline. Fowler is already behind him in snaps after starting the years way out ahead.

As for Armstrong, he is our best pass rusher not named Micah.

They are even being creative bringing Williams into play the 3 to get him snaps.

This is just a problem of being loaded with talent.