Why isn’t Sam Williams playing more?

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
I like it! It's a shame Dan Quinn hasn't experimented with this idea this year. Have Micah drop in mid-coverage at times or even play some middle LB while Sam Williams uses his strength and quickness along the edge. Have Micah follow Debo Samuels out in the flats while Sam Williams brings the heat from the edge or wherever needed along the Dline. Then have both Micah and Sam blitz from the edges or even inside with each in the A gaps. Good luck to opposing Olines trying to block both blitzing from the inside!
I think this is more on Sam Williams than Quinn. I would think Quinn would love to see Williams on the field more with his athletic ability. Coaches must not trust Williams. I wish they did. We are going to need Williams to step up during the playoffs.

ak47kaehu

Reaction score
I've been disappointed in Dan Quinn's decisions this year. Our Defense has given up huge points throughout the season and also been most responsible during our 3 losses. Like you mentioned, Dan Quinn should have been working on these packages all season to where our Defense should be hitting its peak this late in the season. Instead, it's the opposite. Still guessing. :confused:
Losing LVE and Diggs may have hurt his vision for this defense and he just can't get the safeties to play at the level they were playing at last season. I wonder how he adjusts the rest of the way?.....

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Losing LVE and Diggs may have hurt his vision for this defense and he just can't get the safeties to play at the level they were playing at last season. I wonder how he adjusts the rest of the way?.....
Agreed! It's so obvious losing LVE and Diggs has affected Dan Quinn. Our Safeties have been horrible. Hard to believe they were playing lights out our previous 2 seasons. Hope Dan Quinn figures how to fix this. Tough 4 opponents coming up.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I think this is more on Sam Williams than Quinn. I would think Quinn would love to see Williams on the field more with his athletic ability. Coaches must not trust Williams. I wish they did. We are going to need Williams to step up during the playoffs.
If they didnt trust him, they wouldn't be playing him at all. They have enough talent at DE to not have to play him if they don't trust him

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Anyway, I know he's been playing here and there. But I wonder why he isn't getting more reps. Especially now that Parsons is out. They could use him if they end up playing the Santa Clara 49ers.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
OK hear me out.....Sam Williams reminds me a bit of Micah. Quick first step, explosive, strong, has a nose for the QB....how about they put Micah at LB if and when needed for those run heavy teams and do the things Micah does with Sam Williams?? At least give it a try and have a few packages to sample before the playoffs right? Get all your stud players on the field kinda thing!
I agree. You can have him getting after the QB with Micah and use Sam off the edge and Micah up the middle vice versa. Potentially. We've seen a flash or two here. But I don't think he's earned the trust yet. Sam needs to step up his focus level. But it's also a seniority thing. He has to beat those guys out.. Armstrong, Fowler, Osa, Mazi Smith.. Like, he can't just come in and be an athlete. He has to outplay them. And really want to understand the game. I'm not sure if he has the interest or just likes the B movie fame.

Sam has all the natural ability. I feel like he may just need time, though.. Some of what he does in the game looks good and maybe, just maybe we're waiting or we've waited to unleash the gimp on them, when it really matters. On one hand, I see what people are saying.. about him not wanting it. It could seem that way. Anyway, Sam has to motivate himself. But I can also see him going the other way and surprising us. He's got it in him. Just needs the correct coach, and the right role in the right scheme. Surely, they can get him on the field... It's necessary to at least get the guy some valuable reps in case anyone gets injured.

Last edited:

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
Because teams should only worry about their top 2 edge rushers or top 2 DTackles.

If you need contributions from ur 3rd or 4th edge rusher, then something is wrong with ur starters if they can't play 100% of the snaps all season long.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Because teams should only worry about their top 2 edge rushers or top 2 DTackles.

If you need contributions from ur 3rd or 4th edge rusher, then something is wrong with ur starters if they can't play 100% of the snaps all season long.
Against the 49ers this year and last season's playoffs, Sam Williams created pressure at times. More than our veteran D-linemen other than DeMarcus Lawrence. Sam has the body, quickness and strength to do damage against bigger Olines like the 49ers and Eagles have. Dan Quinn needs to get Sam Williams more involved against them tougher teams.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
It's been said a bunch of times ITT, but the problems is between the ears.

Sam Williams is a rocked-up 6'3" 260 lbs and is fast enough to play freaking punt gunner. We've seen him produce in fits and starts, so the talent is all there. But the trust from the coaching staff isn't... he's having to earn it the slow way.

My guess is, if he finishes the year strong, he will take one of Fowler or Armstrong's jobs in 2024 and basically become the #3 DE. If he doesn't finish well and keeps making mistakes, then he's looking at a career crossroads.

Rayman70

Reaction score
You do realize he has had 3 sacks in the last 5 games right?

This whole thread has turned into examples of posters just saying things without putting any effort into putting forth well thought out content
I hate that too...:rolleyes:

phildadon86

Reaction score
Like @darthseinfeld mentioned,

Sam Williams has 3 sacks in the last 5 games. That is second only to Micah's 5 sacks.

Posters ask, "Who do you sit down just to give Sam Williams more playing time?" As if choosing to play Sam Williams more is only a personal opinion over the other players currently getting more snaps? Well, which other players (other than Micah) getting more snaps currently has accumulated more sacks in the last 5 games than Sam Williams?

So y'all tell me who is the one making decisions based on personal preference? Me or you?

I'm just saying, based on current performance, Sam Williams deserves more playing time. Take plays away from those veterans who are not producing sacks as well in the last 5 games as Sam Williams has on a very limited role. The key is to get the most producing players on the field, especially against these next very tough 4 opponents, is it not?

:popcorn:
Problem with it is. He can’t defend the run. So you’re taking Lawrence on the field who’s probably a top 3 DE in run support.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Parsons is out?
Meh, I meant LVE..

I always figured that's why they went short there at the position. If LVE were to get hurt, you have Willams and/or Parsons, who, if I remember, wasn't a bad LB. I think the Cowboys may even match up better playing Parsons at LB vs the 9ers and possibly even have him mirroring and blitzing Hurts from the LB position.

And of course Bell.

I actually think Parsons moved to Edge in order to extend his career, not shorten it. He'll have a longer career playing from there. Look at LVE. He's all tattered. It's from playing LB.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Could you get more talent on the field, especially on run downs with Williams at LB and Parsons at DE?

Plus, Williams gives you a big body in a really fast LBers shoes.. It's a win-win. For whatever he lacks, he makes up for with athleticism. I mean, it would be a blessing, really. To have him step in. He just needs the reps now. That's what I would use this game for. The game that matters is down the road anyway. Get him reps.

His instincts are fair already. I can see that on tape. But he's going to be as good of a player as anyone else we've got. And tremendous upside.

conner01

Reaction score
Doh! A double negative! This is what happens when I'm being bothered by 3 - 5 different people by texts at the same time I'm trying to post on here.
:facepalm:

Thanks for reminding me of my mistake bro.

Can a Mod please correct the double negative in my opening post's question?
Who do you bench more to get him reps? Better question

conner01

Reaction score
Yes and look at the reliability we have with our other ends like Law and Dorance. He may be the more explosive player but the guys ahead of him are dependable.
And smarter. He’s a freak athlete but doesn’t play very smart. Hopefully that improves