Why isn't Blake Jarwin Starting?

Tass

Lucky Devil
Reaction score
I completely get that analogy, but the uppercut has to be thrown more than once or twice every boxing match to give it a chance to land.

Yes, you are right. I chose uppercut because statistically it is thrown the least in a fight but is also the most effective punch when it lands.

Jarwin should be getting 3 or 4 looks a game.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
and value route running too....can jarwin make the routine 10 yard catch? can he run anything besides the seam route? can he get open against better LBs and safties in the league? evidence suggests not yet.
In fairness, that catch last week wasn't a seam route, IIRC.

Macnalty

Reaction score
Jarwin would be if they would make calls to go to Jarwin instead of Witten who is here for only selfish reasons. He wants to be #1 in receptions for TEs over Tony Gonzales hoping to be a first ballot HOF....I am sure if Prescott gets hurt that Garrett-Jed-and Jethro will try everything to get Romo back to start....This nonsense needs to stop...We lost Taco Charlton because we started broken down Crawford who sat out all preseason just to be rewarded the starting RDE spot. Now Charlton is playing well in Miami while Crawford does his usual sitting on the sidelines and hurt again.
I still see Witten as an asset blocking and catching. Jarwin is deserving also but Witten commands more respect from the defenses IMO.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This still crawls up my skin that we are starting Jason Witten who is slow as snail over Blake Jarwin...Just the stats say what I am talking about from this game. This Jason Garrett-Jason Witten buddy crap needs to stop.

Jason Witten 8 receptions for 58 yards 0 TDs

Blake Jarwin 1 reception for 42 yards 1 TD..

Cause they got 1 roll-out play that they really like with Witten.
And Minn DC won't be on it like white on rice Sunday lol

DHCBF66

Reaction score
This still crawls up my skin that we are starting Jason Witten who is slow as snail over Blake Jarwin...Just the stats say what I am talking about from this game. This Jason Garrett-Jason Witten buddy crap needs to sto
Jason Witten 8 receptions for 58 yards 0 TDs

Blake Jarwin 1 reception for 42 yards 1 TD..
Last year WITHOUT Witten Jarwin had a total of 27 receptions for 307 yards and 3 TDs.
Witten this year after 8 games 34 receptions 321 and 2 TDs...I wonder why Jarwin is not the starter also!

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I still see Witten as an asset blocking and catching. Jarwin is deserving also but Witten commands more respect from the defenses IMO.
Jarwin is getting about 1/2 as many snaps as Witten. so its not like Jarwin is not getting chances to play. everyone focuses on 3 long plays he made and they were good, so let me not diminish those, but his other catches were 7,4,3,7,5, 1, 0, 0

so this notion that Witten is catching only 3 to 4 yard passes and jarwin is catching these deep passes is just plain silly.

this year in 8 games Jarwin has played in about 300 snaps and has only 12 caches for 162 yards about a 13 YPC.... skewed because of this one 42 yard catch in the last game. yes, the catch counts, but prior to giants game his average was about 11 YPC......

so why isn't he getting open more?....again, if you subscribe to conspiracy theories, the coaches are telling dak not to throw it to him and scheming things so Jarwin is not open.....whatever floats your boat

witten has played in about 600 snaps (give or take a few). has 34 catches for 321 a shade under 10 YPC...

very interestingly though he has had his most catches against Giants but least success...he has had 11 catches against giants for 6,4,5,6, 8,8,12, 4,5,5,7

in these other games he has about 23 catches for 251 yards.... about 11 YPC

so for whatever reason, Jarwin seems to be the Giant killer as he has had a 28 yard and 42 yard catch against the Giants .....Witten seems to be the outlet for Dak with short passes and Giants are controlling him.....so if I am Dak, do I take a Sack? throw incomplete? or do I just dump it off for 4,5 yards to Witten who managed to be open?

so Jarwin is getting playing time. enough playing time to show what he has. he just hasn't shown enough.....I refuse to believe that Dak won't look his way or throw his way, given he has targeted him and made throws to him. Jarwin is young, still learning. he is a role player at this point and he is doing decent, not great in his Role...often you take a role player away from where he is, put him in a starting position and they struggle.....

do we need to upgrade TE position? heck yes. we have tried for several years. even before Witten retired....but right now Jarwin is not his replacement and he is not better than him over all.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Jarwin is getting about 1/2 as many snaps as Witten. so its not like Jarwin is not getting chances to play. everyone focuses on 3 long plays he made and they were good, so let me not diminish those, but his other catches were 7,4,3,7,5, 1, 0, 0

so this notion that Witten is catching only 3 to 4 yard passes and jarwin is catching these deep passes is just plain silly.

this year in 8 games Jarwin has played in about 300 snaps and has only 12 caches for 162 yards about a 13 YPC.... skewed because of this one 42 yard catch in the last game. yes, the catch counts, but prior to giants game his average was about 11 YPC......

so why isn't he getting open more?....again, if you subscribe to conspiracy theories, the coaches are telling dak not to throw it to him and scheming things so Jarwin is not open.....whatever floats your boat

witten has played in about 600 snaps (give or take a few). has 34 catches for 321 a shade under 10 YPC...

very interestingly though he has had his most catches against Giants but least success...he has had 11 catches against giants for 6,4,5,6, 8,8,12, 4,5,5,7

in these other games he has about 23 catches for 251 yards.... about 11 YPC

so for whatever reason, Jarwin seems to be the Giant killer as he has had a 28 yard and 42 yard catch against the Giants .....Witten seems to be the outlet for Dak with short passes and Giants are controlling him.....so if I am Dak, do I take a Sack? throw incomplete? or do I just dump it off for 4,5 yards to Witten who managed to be open?

so Jarwin is getting playing time. enough playing time to show what he has. he just hasn't shown enough.....I refuse to believe that Dak won't look his way or throw his way, given he has targeted him and made throws to him. Jarwin is young, still learning. he is a role player at this point and he is doing decent, not great in his Role...often you take a role player away from where he is, put him in a starting position and they struggle.....

do we need to upgrade TE position? heck yes. we have tried for several years. even before Witten retired....but right now Jarwin is not his replacement and he is not better than him over all.

What a bunch of blathering nonsense.

Witten has exactly 200 more snaps than Jarwin. You even state that Jarwin is the 4th/5th option and yet you turn around and ask rhetorically “why isn’t he doing more?”

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

Witten has exactly 200 more snaps than Jarwin. You even state that Jarwin is the 4th/5th option and yet you turn around and ask rhetorically “why isn’t he doing more?”
ahhh, dimmy boy, seems like you are obsessed with me....I hope my earlier comments didn't hurt your itty bitty little feelings.... I am sorry if I hurt you (patting you on the head)…….now run along and go play with your wooden trains

:thumbup:

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

I think you know he meant, "Why isn't he doing more with the opportunities he's had." In other words, why isn't he getting open more often, and giving Dak a reason to throw to him?

I like Jarwin, and hope he develops into the TE we need, but forcing the ball to him would be worse than forcing it to Dez. He seems to be coming along, and he's done pretty well in the role he has right now, so I think he'll get where we need him to be, but he's not there yet, IMO.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I'd venture to say there's probably a good chance Jarwin will get an increased number of snaps if his success continues as it has lately. Some players take more time than others to develop consistency. His blocking and receiving have both improved considerably. Let's hope added success is in his future. Evidently, I'm not alone in that wish! The guy does have sufficient talent to be utilized more generously. :)

Last edited:

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Also, we don’t really know what he can or can’t do since he can’t get on the field for more than 3 snaps a game.
He has actually been on the field for 39% of the snaps this season (according to Footballoutsiders.com). He just isn’t getting a lot of targets.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Last year WITHOUT Witten Jarwin had a total of 27 receptions for 307 yards and 3 TDs.
Witten this year after 8 games 34 receptions 321 and 2 TDs...I wonder why Jarwin is not the starter also!

But you have to look at Jarwin's stats from last year over the course of season. He had 7 catches through the first 12 games and then the bulk of his stats came from 7 catches in week 14 against the Eagles and 7 catches in week 17 against the Giants. The Eagles game was the game where Garrett ordered Linehan to work in those crossing routes and the Giants game was the trial run for Kellen Moore calling plays because they passed all the time with Zeke and most of the OL resting.

To me its an apples and oranges thing, Witten is still a #1 TE whose main value is being the safety valve when others are covered. Jarwin is a good #2 but isn't going to block or uncover on the fly the way Witten will.

They are both good in their roles, but the main difference is Linehan was a guy who would force his plays no matter what the defense was doing while Kellen Moore is a chess player who adjusts his play calls to the situation. If a defense was most vulnerable with Jarwin getting 20 targets, Moore would do that. Otherwise he is going to call the most effective play.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I think you know he meant, "Why isn't he doing more with the opportunities he's had." In other words, why isn't he getting open more often, and giving Dak a reason to throw to him?

I like Jarwin, and hope he develops into the TE we need, but forcing the ball to him would be worse than forcing it to Dez. He seems to be coming along, and he's done pretty well in the role he has right now, so I think he'll get where we need him to be, but he's not there yet, IMO.
He is just mad at me so he just wanted to attack anything I said. Everyone understood what I meant but he had an agenda. I bet u he didn't even read it.

Dak_Attack_09

Reaction score
Yes, you are right. I chose uppercut because statistically it is thrown the least in a fight but is also the most effective punch when it lands.

Jarwin should be getting 3 or 4 looks a game.

He only needs one reception to score a TD.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score

Um, no, it’s nonsense.

Jarwin has got 200 (literally) less offensive snaps than Witten, and 12 receptions to Witten’s 34; that’s proportional.

It’s like someone saying “well if Pollard is so good why isn’t he doing more with his snaps (in comparison to Zeke)?”

So to ask “why isn’t he doing more” is plainly dumb, and frankly he’s got 3 TDs to Witten’s 2, so it could be asked why Witt isn’t doing more having substantially more snaps?