Why isn't Blake Jarwin Starting?

BigD49

Reaction score
You’re right, no other tight end in the league can run a 6-yard out.

Defensive coordinators are up all night trying to figure out a way to stop it.
Kinda seems like the NYG defensive coordinator should have been up all night trying to figure out a way to stop him, because they had zero answer for a basic PA bootleg

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Even if you buy that Witten is better, more reliable option why in god's name is he on the field in hurry up situations where you need chunk yardage?

Jarwin would threaten the defense & possibly create a big play. Witten may settle underneath the defense & get a completion but that is exactly what the defense wants.

BTW - same for Pollard. why isn't he out there instead of Zeke in those situations? If you can't utilize his skills in those situations, when can you?

McKDaddy

Reaction score
You don't know this.
In fact Witten usually plows for a many yards as he can get.
which is usually zero unless he happens to catch a pass while he is actually traveling up field. (which is rare)

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This still crawls up my skin that we are starting Jason Witten who is slow as snail over Blake Jarwin...Just the stats say what I am talking about from this game. This Jason Garrett-Jason Witten buddy crap needs to stop.

Jason Witten 8 receptions for 58 yards 0 TDs

Blake Jarwin 1 reception for 42 yards 1 TD..
I don't care that Jarwin isn't starting, but I do think he should be getting more targets. He's shown he can make plays, and giving opponents someone else to worry about is a good thing.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Jarwin does not get open a lot. It could be he does not have the "feel" for the what defense is trying to do when he is in his route.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
If you want to argue that Witten is getting more reps because he’s a better blocker that’s plausible, though I will say his reputation regarding his blocking prowess is absolutely apocryphal.

However, if you want to argue that he brings something special in the passing game is nonsense. He’s an underneath outlet. Witten is stopped within 6-7 yards on that same play Jarwin ran in for a TD. Folks want to act like Witt is doing something no other TE on the roster can do; catch an underneath route and be immediately tackled.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If you want to argue that Witten is getting more reps because he’s a better blocker that’s plausible, though I will say his reputation regarding his blocking prowess is absolutely apocryphal.

However, if you want to argue that he brings something special in the passing game is nonsense. He’s an underneath outlet. Witten is stopped within 6-7 yards on that same play Jarwin ran in for a TD. Folks want to act like Witt is doing something no other TE on the roster can do; catch an underneath route and be immediately tackled.
Witten's reliable as hell and can help move the chains. Jarwin has much more big play potential. Ultimately I don't think it matters that Witten starts, but it does matter if they are using him exclusively, which has almost become the case. Jarwin is only averaging 2 targets per game. I would like to see that double.

erod

Reaction score
This still crawls up my skin that we are starting Jason Witten who is slow as snail over Blake Jarwin...Just the stats say what I am talking about from this game. This Jason Garrett-Jason Witten buddy crap needs to stop.

Jason Witten 8 receptions for 58 yards 0 TDs

Blake Jarwin 1 reception for 42 yards 1 TD..
C'mon, Cowboys fans. You've got to learn some football.

Jarwin is essentially a slot receiver. He can't block anybody. He's too tall and angular to get any leverage, so he's useless at tight end on a run play. You have to run away from his side, so it's a tell.

It's not about Witten or Jarwin. It's about Cobb or Jarwin. Or, you can play with all three of them and sit Gallup or Cooper or Zeke.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
How do you know Jarwin couldn't get open, and Dak was directing Coop on that play.
Also you need reps to make "routine" plays.
if he was open wouldn't Dak hit him? throw him the ball? is Garrett and Moore in Dak's ear telling him don't throw 8-10 yard passes to Jarwin!!!

he is getting more reps, I have noticed improved blocking from him, so that doesn't make him liability....again, I love the 40 yard pass plays, but I take routine 8-10 yard pass plays all day if we convert them......

links18

Reaction score
Jarwin is a threat to score when he gets the ball in space. Witten not so much. It isn't 2007 anymore.

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score
if he was open wouldn't Dak hit him? throw him the ball? is Garrett and Moore in Dak's ear telling him don't throw 8-10 yard passes to Jarwin!!!

he is getting more reps, I have noticed improved blocking from him, so that doesn't make him liability....again, I love the 40 yard pass plays, but I take routine 8-10 yard pass plays all day if we convert them......
Bold - no not necessarily - he might be the second or third read. Don't forget a lot of times that Wit runs those 5-6 yard sit-down routes where if nothing else is open - he becomes the check-down.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
There’s a spot for both Witten and Jarwin. Jarwin is much more dangerous with the ball in his hands. Witten gets open and moves the chains. It’s not either or in this case. It’s both.