Why isn't Blake Jarwin Starting?

Zman5

Reaction score
It doesn't matter who starts but Witt shouldn't be getting 80% of the snaps.
When the TEs were featured in few games last year, both Jarwin and Shultz were effective.

TheSport78

The Excellence of Execution
Reaction score
they were a lot better than jarwin, also they were a lot better atheltes and better skill set as recievers….no comparison...you can't take three plays and project them to a HOFer and one of the better TEs in the league...that's madden approach to football.
It’s great to have a legit NFL scout on this forum. Oh wait...stop using the “he’s a HOFer” argument; it doesn’t work. By that logic, let’s go grab Ed Jones and Larry Allen off the couch because they’re HOFers too and we’re kind of hurting at those positions.

MysteryIceGuro

Reaction score
I agree that the security blanket thing is kind of stupid.

There is a such thing as 2 TE sets y'know...

GenoT

Reaction score
Witten in short-yardage/safety-valve situations, Jarwin when they’re trying to spread the field.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I agree that the security blanket thing is kind of stupid.

There is a such thing as 2 TE sets y'know...

If you are going to run a Two TE Offense, that's a significant change in how you actually run your offense. It means you have to keep like 4 or 5 TEs. Our OC is not a guy who is going to run multiple TE Offensive sets. He's more of a three WR guy. It's just not something we do and it's not as easy as just saying, "You can run two TEs". There is more to it then that and that's if you are not including what Dak is comfortable with. Jarwin is probably the future but right now, Witten is the guy.

MysteryIceGuro

Reaction score
If you are going to run a Two TE Offense, that's a significant change in how you actually run your offense. It means you have to keep like 4 or 5 TEs. Our OC is not a guy who is going to run multiple TE Offensive sets. He's more of a three WR guy. It's just not something we do and it's not as easy as just saying, "You can run two TEs". There is more to it then that and that's if you are not including what Dak is comfortable with. Jarwin is probably the future but right now, Witten is the guy.

I'm not saying we need to completely change our 3 WR scheme. I like that scheme and obviously Kellen Moore does as well. I'm just saying we do have the weapons to run a possible 2 TE or even 2 RB set. It might help with unpredictability. Jarwin needs a little bit more playing time, and it'd be a good opportunity for him if we were to run 2 TE sets.
Last night, how many 2 TE's or 2 RB sets did we have? Since our WR's didn't wanna do anything, we could have at least tried a different scheme for a play or two and see how it worked out. I do see where you are coming from and I do agree with you, though.

quickccc

Reaction score
Jarwin had his chance last season, we also agreed to bring Witten back because we needed TE help, since it was inconsistent since he left. He will have his chance again after Witten retires, unless we draft another TE. There's a reason why he's not starting. Everyone thinks they know what's best for this team. You cannot compare Witten's route-running and playbook knowledge with Jarwin's.

nor can you compare a mere 5 yd route (witten) to a deep middle seam pass (that normally goes for a TD vs Giants) ...Physically there's just some things witten just cannot do anymore and we are leaving
a number of athletic plays off the field.

.. and if we draft a TE in a 3rd round , he would just sit and be wasted in just spots and occasions until the old man finally does retire .... in a couple of years.
I don't see how can you fully develop game experience and mastering routes and a knack for the game as a young TE in just a few spots and occasions ?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Jarwin isn’t a complete TE like Witten. He’s a good role player. He makes one real good play every once in a while. He’s not near the chain mover that Witten is. Witten has had a solid season so far. He’s had more yards after the catch this season than I can remember. He’s very dependable and shows up every week. He was a great security blanket for Romo and Dak has a lot of confidence in him. Jarwin will not be the answer as an every down TE once Witten retires for good. He’s a good complement but that’s it. He received plenty of opportunity last season when Witten was retired. Had he stepped up and established himself as a solid every down TE Witten likely would not have come back.

quickccc

Reaction score
Philly has both Zac Ertz and Dallas Goedert .. two very good, young TEs and they still seem to manage to get them both heavily involved on the field and in the pass game.

quickccc

Reaction score
Jarwin isn’t a complete TE like Witten. He’s a good role player. He makes one real good play every once in a while. He’s not near the chain mover that Witten is. Witten has had a solid season so far. He’s had more yards after the catch this season than I can remember. He’s very dependable and shows up every week. He was a great security blanket for Romo and Dak has a lot of confidence in him.

and Witten's lack of speed and range also bogs down this pass offense.
it would be different if they manage to involve Jarwin in a significant sessions instead of the one catch he seems to be getting every game. (at the least)
And the reason why Jarwin makes one good play every once in
awhile is because of the 80-90 % commitment to slower moving Witten that keeps Jarwin off the field.

And you know that was a total different //and far more fluid moving Witten in the Romo days - why go way back there ?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I'm not saying we need to completely change our 3 WR scheme. I like that scheme and obviously Kellen Moore does as well. I'm just saying we do have the weapons to run a possible 2 TE or even 2 RB set. It might help with unpredictability. Jarwin needs a little bit more playing time, and it'd be a good opportunity for him if we were to run 2 TE sets.
Last night, how many 2 TE's or 2 RB sets did we have? Since our WR's didn't wanna do anything, we could have at least tried a different scheme for a play or two and see how it worked out. I do see where you are coming from and I do agree with you, though.

To run things, you gotta practice them. I mean, there is more to it then that. You don't just run out two TEs or two backs and say we are gonna run x,y,z. You have to actually have the personnel packages to practice those plays. That impacts your roster makeup. What happens if/when you get a TE or Back injured in practice? Then you are in a situation where you are going to a game with Dalton Shultz seeing significant snaps. That's not what you want and God forbid you then sustain another injury in a game. Then you aren't even able to practice the way you need to, in order to be prepared. Heck, I don't even know who our Third RB is anymore. You really can't play two back sets if you are Dallas. You got Zeke and you got Pollard and that's it. You can't sustain more then one injury at the position because you are thin. Especially at RB, you can't afford to do those kinds of things. You know that Zeke is going to get 20 to 25 carries but more then that, he's going to get, probably in the area of 60 snaps a game. That's a lot of plays on Sunday. That means that he needs time to get is body right for next Sunday, to say nothing of short weeks or what have you. That means he doesn't practice as much during the week, I'd guess. If you lose your other RB, that's a big problem for the Cowboys and that, I'd guess, is why we don't see more of that two back set from the Cowboys. I mean, even if you have three backs, that's still a personnel problem for the team and what's more, you have to go short somewhere else to be able to carry other players. Where are you going to do that? There is more to it then just saying, we should do more of this or that. That's why you don't see it as much IMO.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
it would be different if they manage to involve Jarwin in a significant sessions instead of the one catch he seems to be getting every game. (at the least)
awhile is because of the 80-90 % commitment to slower moving Witten that keeps Jarwin off the field.

And you know that was a total different //and far more fluid moving Witten in the Romo days - why go way back there ?

Witten is where Dak goes when he needs 5 yards on 3rd down. There is nothing wrong with that. There is only 1 football and a lot of guys screaming for it. Amari only had 5 targets last night.

BigD_95

Reaction score
This still crawls up my skin that we are starting Jason Witten who is slow as snail over Blake Jarwin...Just the stats say what I am talking about from this game. This Jason Garrett-Jason Witten buddy crap needs to stop.

Jason Witten 8 receptions for 58 yards 0 TDs

Blake Jarwin 1 reception for 42 yards 1 TD..

I was screaming at the TV when we had the ball back with 25 seconds before halftime and Witten was on the field instead of Jarwin. We need quick big plays and you have Witten who is slow on the field. Its insane how they do not use the right players for the right situations.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score

How does he bog down the pass offense when he consistently moves the chains on third down? Witten has never had speed. He’s a master with subtle moves and finding seams and soft spots. He’s made some plays down the field this season and has had some good runs after the catch. Jarwin is a much better athlete but doesn’t get open consistently. He’s a good role player. He’s not going to be the answer as a lead tight end. Witten wasn’t around last season to keep Jarwin off the field. We saw the same thing last season with him he makes a good play every once in a while.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score

None of this is accurate IMO. Witten isn't used to stretch the field in our Offense. That's not the way our Offense is designed. We have multiple guys, in our Offense who's job it is to get deep. Witten is used to facilitate more of the short yardage, move the chains stuff. You have to have that guy in order to keep the defense honest. If it's not Witten, then it's somebody else who needs to fill that role. I mean, we have one of the top offenses in the entire NFL. We are not hurting for guys getting open down the field. We have plenty of that already. What we don't have are short move the chain guys who catch everything. I mean, I don't get it.........