CFZ Why it would've have been better to fire McCarthy than make him a lame duck

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
The FO chose to maintain the status quo and “run it back” after they were dismantled and humiliated in Jan.

They are a strange mix of cowardice, arrogance, and blind optimism. They are scared to make big moves and changes, stubbornly refuse to acknowledge their blind spots and incompetence, and continue to do the same things over and over again and expect positive results to materialize.

This offseason, they have undermined McCarthy, cost themselves millions in future contracts by dragging their feet on extensions, insulted their star players by refusing to negotiate while also undermining their publicly stated “draft, develop, and sign our best players “ strategy, all while propping up the same tired horse and pony show that is clearly not good enough to win when it matters.

Hard to see anything they have done since Jan as a competent response to being exposed the way they were by GB.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Wasn't it a blowout with the Packers that did in Wade?

This season looks to be about money. Ready to move on from Dak and McCarthy, not willing to eat the final year of their contracts. So just wasting a year as far as possibly contending.
There is no money to “eat” in Dak’s contract. If he’s cut the Cowboys do not pay him another cent. The same was true on March 1st of this year yet a few weeks later the Cowboys paid him $5 million. In Dak’s case it is obviously not “about money”. The plan then, and now, is to keep Dak Prescott.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
I would not extend Dak because the way this team is structured, Dak will not win. He needs a Russel Wilson Legion of Boom/Marshawn Lynch type of team.....strong defense and running game. That is what he has always needed and it's the responsibility of the organization to recognize that and provide it....or MOVE ON!!!!

So I have zero problem with not extending Dak. My problem is this LAME DUCK YEAR we are all in. If we are not going to extend Dak.....let's see what we have in Trey Lance! Why is Lance here if we are not looking to see if we can strike gold? Why waste what appears to be a golden opportunity to start the next chapter. That is my problem with Jerry! And I know why he will not do it..he's already paid for Dak this year...and he is not going to pay Dak without getting something in return. So since he cannot trade him....and he cannot franchise him.....he is going to make Dak work for something we all know is not going to happen the way this team is currently constructed. And that is just DUMB!!!!!!!
There is no guaranteed money left in Dak’s contract. None. Cut him and not another cent goes from the Cowboys to any of Dak’s financial accounts. As it is, the only way Dak receives any pay from the Cowboys is if he is on the team‘s 53 man roster for regular season games. $1,705,882.35 gross each game whether he plays or not. If the Cowboys don’t really want Dak they can send him packing and are free and clear of him. Apparently that is not what Jerry wants to do.

Brax

Reaction score
It's really odd to me the number of people who dismiss Dak's stellar stats yet in the same breath laud the defense's stellar stats. I mean, the defense finished highly ranked in most categories except stopping the run if I recall correctly. They were 5th in scoring D, 5th in total yards allowed and 5th in passing yards allowed. However they were 16th in rushing yards and 16th in rushing yards per attempt. So basically in the area that is their known weakness and which has sent them home from the playoffs the last three seasons, they continued to be weak. Then looking at Dak we see he was #1 in passing TDs, #3 in passing yards, #2 in completion percentage, #2 in TD percentage, #6 in INT percentage, and #2 in QBR. In short, Dak balled out in every measurable way. Yet HE is the one we need to get rid of? It makes no sense.

I'm just like everybody else in wanting Dak to play better in the playoffs. Where I differ from the frothing masses is that I believe he can. He just needs some help. He doesn't need his #1 receiver to drop the first two passes he throws him and then have a hissy fit on the sideline. Nor does he need his defense to give up TDs on the opponents' first 5 or 6 drives. The whole team failing to show up mentally for a playoff game is on the coaches 100%. Their messaging was clearly off that week plain and simple. I'm not dumping my All-Pro QB to chase some imaginary rainbow solution to all this team's problems. People can root for that if the wish.. I will not be joining them. I saw Quincy Carter, Scott Hutchinson, Drew Bledsoe and Vinny Testaverde play live for the Cowboys. All I can say about getting more of that is "No thank you."
Balled out in the regular season, against the worst teams. Come playoff time he disappears and likes to help the other team, that’s the guy you’re talking about and love. Stats mean nothing when they are not against the best teams or garbage time stats. History tells us one simple fact, Dak goes into a shell when he’s needed most. Blame everyone else but fact is Dak hasn’t produced anything to warrant his resigning at this point. Want to change that narrative then show up prepared come crunch time and prove he is worthy of an extension. He has a season to prove it just like MM unfortunately both are big talkers but little in producing the goals set before each season unless like some regular season wins are your SB

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The FO chose to maintain the status quo and “run it back” after they were dismantled and humiliated in Jan.

They are a strange mix of cowardice, arrogance, and blind optimism. They are scared to make big moves and changes, stubbornly refuse to acknowledge their blind spots and incompetence, and continue to do the same things over and over again and expect positive results to materialize.

This offseason, they have undermined McCarthy, cost themselves millions in future contracts by dragging their feet on extensions, insulted their star players by refusing to negotiate while also undermining their publicly stated “draft, develop, and sign our best players “ strategy, all while propping up the same tired horse and pony show that is clearly not good enough to win when it matters.

Hard to see anything they have done since Jan as a competent response to being exposed the way they were by GB.
A very clear and succinct summary of the state of things. Well said.

Brax

Reaction score
There is no guaranteed money left in Dak’s contract. None. Cut him and not another cent goes from the Cowboys to any of Dak’s financial accounts. As it is, the only way Dak receives any pay from the Cowboys is if he is on the team‘s 53 man roster for regular season games. $1,705,882.35 gross each game whether he plays or not. If the Cowboys don’t really want Dak they can send him packing and are free and clear of him. Apparently that is not what Jerry wants to do.
That’s not really true, you’re twisting the reality, Dak already pocketed the money and still counts against the cap for a large number of dollars. They aren’t paying him those because he’s already put them in the bank.

GMO415

Reaction score
BULLET!
My concern is that if we have confidence issues and a losing streak arises, the fact that MM is a lame duck HC could turn into a cascading failure.

blueblood70

Reaction score
It's really odd to me the number of people who dismiss Dak's stellar stats yet in the same breath laud the defense's stellar stats. I mean, the defense finished highly ranked in most categories except stopping the run if I recall correctly. They were 5th in scoring D, 5th in total yards allowed and 5th in passing yards allowed. However they were 16th in rushing yards and 16th in rushing yards per attempt. So basically in the area that is their known weakness and which has sent them home from the playoffs the last three seasons, they continued to be weak. Then looking at Dak we see he was #1 in passing TDs, #3 in passing yards, #2 in completion percentage, #2 in TD percentage, #6 in INT percentage, and #2 in QBR. In short, Dak balled out in every measurable way. Yet HE is the one we need to get rid of? It makes no sense.

I'm just like everybody else in wanting Dak to play better in the playoffs. Where I differ from the frothing masses is that I believe he can. He just needs some help. He doesn't need his #1 receiver to drop the first two passes he throws him and then have a hissy fit on the sideline. Nor does he need his defense to give up TDs on the opponents' first 5 or 6 drives. The whole team failing to show up mentally for a playoff game is on the coaches 100%. Their messaging was clearly off that week plain and simple. I'm not dumping my All-Pro QB to chase some imaginary rainbow solution to all this team's problems. People can root for that if the wish.. I will not be joining them. I saw Quincy Carter, Scott Hutchinson, Drew Bledsoe and Vinny Testaverde play live for the Cowboys. All I can say about getting more of that is "No thank you."
:hammer:exactly and when you say needs help.. We're referring to the fact that it's been rare that in any one playoff run which we haven't really had a run but in the same playoff year that we've had both the defense the run game the offensive line the coaching all play well in the game that we lost that sent us home lots of bad things penalties and all that stuff arose and we keep going over it all the time and nobody will listen because the help we're talking about it's the same help that Troy and Roger got and I'm talking about hand over fist type help that some say Brock Purdy maybe he's got a loaded team jalen hurts loaded team it don't count they're just along for the ride they're basically being the bus driver for an all-in team...

So somehow are we forgetting that Troy and Roger had some of the best coaching Staffs, the best running backs in the history of the NFL ,with some of the best offensive lineman in front of him, in the NFL along with defenses with real earned names, you know real monikers not made-up ones by our own defenders?!​
It's rhetorical these dudes had everything and still go look at their playoff stats they made mistakes they literally threw a lot of interceptions in the playoffs they got away with it just like Matthew Stafford had 20 interceptions his Super Bowl year two of which were in the Super bowl and they won anyway when you have a team that comes together on a playoff run that's when you typically can make it to the championship games or to the Super bowl..​
I'd like anyone to show me where we both had a strong run game a strong defense offensive line showed up didn't have 11 penalties and the coaches made adjustments show me that game and I'll show you a win...​
Prescott cannot do it alone and everybody here thinks he should ohh he makes all the money he's the quarterback he should be carrying this team,​
really last I checked I even watched games where guys like Tom Brady throws 3 interceptions in NFC championship game we see this all the time we seen Patrick mahomes need in the second-half for them to find a run game and have his special teams make some plays to help them win the game literally this is not all on one person it never has been and while Prescott might be considered elite he's still a top five quarterback in most years top ten worst at worst..​
But he's not Superman,​
and my best analogy that I can use as last year let's look at the two games the lions versus the Niners and the Cowboys versus the Packers;​
both first halfs, you have the Niners and Cowboys teams down not looking good and then after halftime oddly enough the irony is so thick here that the 49ers found a way with their defense special teams making adjustments the climb back in the game long enough to allow their offense to start making some plays,​
what did her team 2 coming out of half three straight touchdowns allowed by the defense, that's what they did no adjustments, no run game, no nothing the defense was already horrible from the first snap to the last snap it's somehow this as well Prescott just can't get it done he should have carried this team right like those two interceptions keep coming up do we want keep breaking those two interceptions down because if you go watch the film Brandon cooks got it interfered with twice, no call ,didn't make much of an effort to try to break up the pass, the second one; CD lamb was supposed to finish crossing to the right, ball was released, lamb broke up field thinking he can make a play off- script, both balls intercepted blamed on the quarterback but yeah he let the ball go but that's OK they still had a shot if the defense could make any stops, if the special teams made a play and if somehow the coaches made the proper adjustments and they did not!!!!!!​
. Troy and Roger never ever had to carry this team so we'll never know if they could have they're part of some of the greatest assembly of coaches and teams ever at Prescott and Romo not even close sure they've had regular seasons where they've had some of the great running games and offensive lines but it never came together when it really mattered in the same games you know the knockout games there was just too much bad team play for a quarterback to overcome...​

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
When you look at a situation you must consider the alternative.

Dallas has its 3 best players all up for contract renewal in Dak, CeeDee and Micah. And 2-3 others in the top 10 are aging vets with large deals: Martin, DLaw specifically.

You weren't going to fire MM then hire a head coach not knowing if you can get all 3 of those deals done.
That would have been foolhardy.
Any coach worth hiring would have wanted to know what comes of those 3 guys before he even takes the job.
Is he coming aboard a rebuild. Does he need to go find a QB?
Or is it a SB expectation?

It is a defining year in Dallas.
This core has run its race and is in the final turn.
It is too talented to walk away from a year early, but results suggest you might need to.

This may not work out at all for MM, Dak, CeeDee or Micah in Dallas.
And if not, at least they will have gotten the one final shot.

Dallas wasn't going to extend MM given the playoff results and they were not on firm ground to go get a replacement.
He may not like it, but him playing out this deal was the best possible situation for Dallas.

If 2024 goes awry they can enter a pretty clean rebuild.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
:hammer:exactly and when you say needs help.. We're referring to the fact that it's been rare that in any one playoff run which we haven't really had a run but in the same playoff year that we've had both the defense the run game the offensive line the coaching all play well in the game that we lost that sent us home lots of bad things penalties and all that stuff arose and we keep going over it all the time and nobody will listen because the help we're talking about it's the same help that Troy and Roger got and I'm talking about hand over fist type help that some say Brock Purdy maybe he's got a loaded team jalen hurts loaded team it don't count they're just along for the ride they're basically being the bus driver for an all-in team...

So somehow are we forgetting that Troy and Roger had some of the best coaching Staffs, the best running backs in the history of the NFL ,with some of the best offensive lineman in front of him, in the NFL along with defenses with real earned names, you know real monikers not made-up ones by our own defenders?!​
It's rhetorical these dudes had everything and still go look at their playoff stats they made mistakes they literally threw a lot of interceptions in the playoffs they got away with it just like Matthew Stafford had 20 interceptions his Super Bowl year two of which were in the Super bowl and they won anyway when you have a team that comes together on a playoff run that's when you typically can make it to the championship games or to the Super bowl..​
I'd like anyone to show me where we both had a strong run game a strong defense offensive line showed up didn't have 11 penalties and the coaches made adjustments show me that game and I'll show you a win...​
Prescott cannot do it alone and everybody here thinks he should ohh he makes all the money he's the quarterback he should be carrying this team,​
really last I checked I even watched games where guys like Tom Brady throws 3 interceptions in NFC championship game we see this all the time we seen Patrick mahomes need in the second-half for them to find a run game and have his special teams make some plays to help them win the game literally this is not all on one person it never has been and while Prescott might be considered elite he's still a top five quarterback in most years top ten worst at worst..​
But he's not Superman,​
and my best analogy that I can use as last year let's look at the two games the lions versus the Niners and the Cowboys versus the Packers;​
both first halfs, you have the Niners and Cowboys teams down not looking good and then after halftime oddly enough the irony is so thick here that the 49ers found a way with their defense special teams making adjustments the climb back in the game long enough to allow their offense to start making some plays,​
what did her team 2 coming out of half three straight touchdowns allowed by the defense, that's what they did no adjustments, no run game, no nothing the defense was already horrible from the first snap to the last snap it's somehow this as well Prescott just can't get it done he should have carried this team right like those two interceptions keep coming up do we want keep breaking those two interceptions down because if you go watch the film Brandon cooks got it interfered with twice, no call ,didn't make much of an effort to try to break up the pass, the second one; CD lamb was supposed to finish crossing to the right, ball was released, lamb broke up field thinking he can make a play off- script, both balls intercepted blamed on the quarterback but yeah he let the ball go but that's OK they still had a shot if the defense could make any stops, if the special teams made a play and if somehow the coaches made the proper adjustments and they did not!!!!!!​
. Troy and Roger never ever had to carry this team so we'll never know if they could have they're part of some of the greatest assembly of coaches and teams ever at Prescott and Romo not even close sure they've had regular seasons where they've had some of the great running games and offensive lines but it never came together when it really mattered in the same games you know the knockout games there was just too much bad team play for a quarterback to overcome...​
Yeah the Cowboys scoring defense ranked 5th in '92, 2nd in '93 and 3rd in '94 and '95. And they had the NFL's leading rusher in 3 of those 4 seasons. The defense that backed Roger ranked top 10 in scoring defense in 7 of the 9 seasons he was the primary starter. They were 2nd in the NFL in rush offense in '71 and 3rd in '77. We all have romanticized notions of how our favorite players growing up were superhuman and larger than life and above all, never made mistakes... Never missed a pass, never turned the ball over, never blew a read. Fact is.. they all did.. Their teammates were just good enough to allow them to get away with it and win championships or at least a lot of playoff games. But in the eyes of a lot of people, those guys "carried their teams to playoff wins." Not saying they didn't at times.. just that most of the time they didn't. That's why they didn't win the Super Bowl every year.. Some times their teams weren't good enough.. Unfortunately for Dak,and Romo before him, the Dallas Cowboys have not had a team good enough to overcome a less than super human game from them come playoff time. And neither of them is superhuman.. which makes them just like Troy and Roger. Except those two had far superior teams around them.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
This is what I respect about Jethro. He tells the fans to get screwed and they still line up to line his pockets.

No wonder he doesn’t need to change. Cowboy fans are sending him the wrong message.

There’s only way to get to him. And that’s public humiliation like with booing and revolting at the game and empty seats which translates to hitting the revenue.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Firing McCarthy would’ve sent a message that having good regular seasons that don’t amount to playoff success isn’t acceptable.

Cowfan75Lives

Reaction score
The problem is that there ISN'T any pressure. On anyone.

On the players? Who's going to hold them accountable? Just do the D-Law shrug and move on.
On the walkabout head coach who is just happy to be the head coach of the Dallas Cowboys for however long he can ride that train?
On Jerry or Cap Boy? Too busy clipping coupons and trying to strike their next sponsor deal.
Maybe there is a little more pressure on Dak if he doesn't get extended, trying to con another team into giving him his next bajillion dollar deal, but that's about it.

There is very little emphasis on winning here, so there can't be much pressure.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
That’s not really true, you’re twisting the reality, Dak already pocketed the money and still counts against the cap for a large number of dollars. They aren’t paying him those because he’s already put them in the bank.
It is “really true”. He can be cut right now and not paid anymore money by the Dallas Cowboys organization. How the Cowboys managed Dak‘s compensation in deference to the salary cap is none of Dak’s business. They handled it the way they chose to. Dak did not tell them how to handle his contract, nor does he have a right to do so. Of course he’s put what he’s been paid “in the bank”. The Cowboys don’t owe him any more money unless he’s on the 53 man roster on game days. That is reality. He may have a no trade clause and no tag stipulated in his contract, but he does not have a no cut clause, and he has no more guaranteed money remaining on his contract. He’s still on the team because they want him on the team. You are denying reality.

Brax

Reaction score
It is “really true”. He can be cut right now and not paid anymore money by the Dallas Cowboys organization. How the Cowboys managed Dak‘s compensation in deference to the salary cap is none of Dak’s business. They handled it the way they chose to. Dak did not tell them how to handle his contract, nor does he have a right to do so. Of course he’s put what he’s been paid “in the bank”. The Cowboys don’t owe him any more money unless he’s on the 53 man roster on game days. That is reality. He may have a no trade clause and no tag stipulated in his contract, but he does not have a no cut clause, and he has no more guaranteed money remaining on his contract. He’s still on the team because they want him on the team. You are denying reality.
Jerry has him in the team for 55 million reasons no matter how you spin it .

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score

But he's not Superman,​
I know who Dak and who he isn't. He can win a playoff game shouldering most of the load....MAYBE.....MAYBE 2. But he ain't winning 4. And guess what? Neither are 90% of the QBs in the NFL. The Jones don't want to pay what QBs cost because they feel that if they pay him that amount of money....he should be able to do it by himself. But guess what...ALL of the top QBs get paid....and NONE of them do it by themselves. Dak giving the Jones Boys a hometown discount is not going to make them BETTER at their job. Like EVERBODY else that wins...the Jones need to find a way to pay their franchise QB..and sure up the weak areas on the team. Everyone plays by the same cap rules. And a Super Bowl winner gets crowned EVERY year. So clearly it can be done!!!! And if they cant figure out how to do it...they need to sell the team. The truth is they've had 30 years to show us they can figure it out...and they haven't!!! And they like to play "victim" with the fanbase and blame "greedy" players. I cannot tell you how exhausted I am with the Jones boys!

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
After the most embarrassing playoff loss in Cowboys history last January, it made more sense to fire Mike McCarthy and move on than making him a lame duck head coach on the last year of his contract. We have seen this coaching scenario in Big D three times before. In 2010 with Wade Phillips, in 2014 with Jason Garrett and 2019 with Garrett again. Only once (in 2014) did this situation translate to a successful season.

Big Mac has been here four seasons and he’s done a very good job in the regular season. But winning in the regular season is not enough if your team is serious about winning a championship. Winning 1 wild card game in 4 years is not good enough to me for a head coach. In the three losses he’s had in the playoffs here, in two of them his team was just not prepared.

So…IMO Here are the reasons this decision to keep McCarthy in the last year of contract makes little sense:
  • It will be very hard for this team to recover mentally from that packer loss with the same head coach. The first time this team has a bad half or bad game, it could easily cause a mental free fall like we saw in 2010 with Wade when that team started the season poorly.
  • The early part of the 2024 schedule is not particularly favorable which puts even more pressure on the situation.
  • By also having a bizarre off-season where this front office mostly sat on their hands when it came to getting better, it cannot give this lame duck HC, his staff and his players a feeling that the organization has pushed the chips forward for 2024.
  • By choosing to not be proactive with contracts AGAIN with several of its star players, it has the appearance that this season is a reset. Which would be fine IF you had a new HC.
The loss to the packers last January was just a complete collapse. How does a team recover mentally from that? And if you wanted to make 2024 the start of something new, why not start that process with a new head coach? Instead of that, we are left wondering what this front office is thinking and planning because in my decades of following this team, the 2024 off-season has been the biggest head scratcher I’ve ever seen.
I don't see any good reasons to blow up this team. You're ignoring Dan Quinn's defense could not stop the Packers. That was addressed by replacing Quinn with Zimmer but according to you, that's not good enough. You'd rather blow up the team than see a second season of this Texas Coast offense. I disagree.