CFZ Why it would've have been better to fire McCarthy than make him a lame duck

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It wasn’t the immobility it was int at halftime and BP pulled the plug. That’s what I’m talking about, would MM take the same action
And while that int was his last pass which was like the final strike against him his lack of mobility was the most alarming concern as he was sacked multiple times, one for a safety.

Romo came out and threw an int on his first play but his mobility eventually opened things up for their offense and why Bill stayed with Romo.

Bill had more autonomy. Drew was his guy. Dak is Jethro’s guy. MM had to be on board with Dak to accept the job.

The bigger question might be , who’s the bigger problem , Dak or MM?

Motorola

Reaction score
And while that int was his last pass which was like the final strike against him his lack of mobility was the most alarming concern as he was sacked multiple times, one for a safety.

Romo came out and threw an int on his first play but his mobility eventually opened things up for their offense and why Bill stayed with Romo.

Bill had more autonomy. Drew was his guy. Dak is Jethro’s guy. MM had to be on board with Dak to accept the job.

The bigger question might be , who’s the bigger problem , Dak or MM?
If Prescott is signed to a extension before the season starts, there's no way he's benched if the team starts of badly.
3-3, 2-4...Jones & Jones will suffer through until the early bye.
If the Cowboys return to action and are manhandled by the Forty-niners (AGAIN), then Jerry will pull the plug on McCarthy.
Zimmer becomes the interim HC the rest of the season.
The 2025 Dallas Cowboys Head Coach is already in place- Al Harris.
Or - Jones could just put Harris in place immediately, and Zimmer remains DC

blueblood70

Reaction score
I agree mostly with the exception of Roger's numbers. In the context of his era they were indeed pretty spectacular. Roger was the highest rated passer in league history when he retired and had led the league in passer rating 4 of the 9 years he was the starter. And if I recall correctly he finished second at least once. In short, Roger was pretty much the best QB in the league in the 70's. Only the brevity of his career works against him numbers wise. He didn't put up BIG numbers because Landry was committed to balance but Roger's efficiency was second to none. But he still had his share of terrible days at the office. Most of the time the defense and the run game were good enough to overcome it which is why the Cowboys never had a losing record and only lost more than 4 games in a season twice when Roger was there. Roger was great.. but so was his defense and for at least 7 of the 9 years he was the starter so was his running game. The year when the "Dirty Dozen" helped them get to the Super Bowl they rushed for over 200 yards in 5 of 14 games and over 190 in 2 others. Then for good measure they ran for 195 against the Rams in the playoffs. Roger gets a lot of credit for the Hail Mary... but before that pass he had put up 170 yards passing and no TDs. He did however come out on fire against the Rams the following week. Ultimately though the youngsters on the line could not protect him against the Steelers and that was what led to us losing that game.
That's the thing the dude wasn't perfect look at his touchdown interception ratio in the playoffs not just the regular season same thing with Troy they made mistakes, and the fact is you're making my point for me literally saying that he didn't have to throw a lot because they like balance that is exactly what we're talking about here.... And by the way calling him really efficient what's it's easy to be efficient when you don't have to throw a lot when you have your running back and your offensive line doing what they're supposed to do and all you gotta do is complete passes I'm not saying it's easy but it is easier to do that with that environment versus what we've seen around here the last 15 years from our last two very good quarterbacks that don't get any credit they get all this Flack mix that can't win the big ones.... It will forever be a team game and so many things have gone wrong in these playoff games you cannot point to the quarterback as the key point of Oh my God if he was Troy or Roger they hadn't won that game I say they wouldn't I say they have no chance of beating Green Bay with Troy or Roger in that last debacle and I'm saying it with a straight face because I believe it.. I've seen Troy throw interceptions in the Super bowl in the playoffs go look at his touchdown interception ratio but Prescott and Romo have a great touchdown interception ratio but they can't help it when they go into a game and expect it to get further in the playoffs when they're not getting the same team help that some of our big names who in my opinion are overrated because of the team I'm not saying they didn't deserve the accolades I'm saying people keep forgetting how great A-Team we had including all the coaches...

Ohh and by the way please don't use the excuse I know why you're like mentioning it but Prescott not getting that excuse Romo didn't get it I mean you have an offensive line not playing well Oh my God you didn't win the big game you got to blame it on the quarterback not the offensive line? Think about it I mean good God you look how great our teams were look at 20 years of no losing seasons or whatever that record was and they only have two Super Bowls and yet Jerry comes in here and gets three in his first five years or was it 6 whatever it was it was pretty damn impressive to do that because your entire old regime only has two and now you're saying they would have won more if their offensive line just would have did their job... Crazy huh..more like hypocrisy.. This isn't me pointing all this at you I want people who read this just to remember not the Super bowl trophies but how the quarterbacks were helped immensely in getting it done and our recent 2 are not... Roman Prescott where clearly capable of winning a Super Bowl if they had that type of team support in the coaching Staffs and game plans and at the time those Staffs were way ahead of their time they're basically similar to McVeigh and the guy over there in San Francisco that's the kind of stuff back then that was happening for our Cowboys teams that's not happening right now...

Troy and Roger never had to carry a team they were never asked to go out and carry a bad outing by the rest of the team they had defenses a coaching staff an entire team around them that helped them succeed in the playoffs therefore getting this moniker as if they're that much better than Romo or Prescott and I'm saying they're not... I truly believe if you put Romo or Prescott on those teams they'd have the same success like similar I mean there's no way to prove it I'm just saying they're that talented but they can't help what team they're on and they cannot do it by themselves and we all know it and I'm really getting sick of it I realize that they didn't play well in the big games but there were big reasons why... Don't get me started on Danny white everyone around here gives this dude like ohh he's so underrated all he did no all he did was have a upside down touchdown interception ratio make many mistakes that cost them some of them games because you can't keep throwing interceptions and expect to win right isn't that the narrative that you blame Prescott for the two interceptions even though you go break those down and find out it wasn't big errors by him it's just the flow of the game and lack of penalties and off script stuff by CD Lam I mean I looked at it more than once and I could tell you those interceptions were not as bad as they looked...​
I'm sorry if that's taboo around here but we've seen guys like Brock Purdy and Nick Foles and even Flacco to some extent and a little bit of Eli Manning winning Super Bowls because of the team around them but literally in our little narrative around here the 28 year history they keep going back to how Romo and Prescott can't get it done well show me Romo and Prescott in those losses that we couldn't get past the second round into the NFC championship game in 28 years and show me where all those performances are that would help the quarterback like Troy and Roger got?? So I think it's ironic that we could talk about Brock Purdy as being carried by an all in team hell even Matthew Stafford couldn't win **** by himself in Detroit but boom first year on a better team with a better coaching staff and he wins even though wait for it he led the league in interceptions and had two interceptions in the Super bowl and they still won the damn game!!!​
it's simple,​
those teams helped their quarterback win those games no matter what, no excuses... like i said we have an easy example; lions versus niners /cowboys versus packers. both cowboys and 9ers bad first halves same deficit, one team stepped up and didn't allow their Offense and QB to drown, they found a way and our D allowed 3 straight TDs to start the 2nd half. Yup we lost they won. That is what a real team loos like...​

tomokawan

Reaction score
Any other franchise would have fired this GM 25 years ago, but yet he is still in charge. I just don't see another superbowl under this ownership. They keep having the same person in charge of the franchise, results be damned.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Edited for space and clarity.
those teams helped their quarterback win those games no matter what, no excuses... like i said we have an easy example; lions versus niners /cowboys versus packers. both cowboys and 9ers bad first halves same deficit, one team stepped up and didn't allow their Offense and QB to drown, they found a way and our D allowed 3 straight TDs to start the 2nd half. Yup we lost they won. That is what a real team loos like...​
Using 9ers to protect Dak is a reach. I had to find a recap of the game because I don't remember watching it. Couple things stood out:

1) A couple very odd plays helped bring 9ers back into it. I know, sometimes you need a little luck too, but that kind can be rare. Purdy lucky on 9ers part.
2) I couldn't find where Purdy gave Detroit 14 easy points. That helps the come back.

This is the part where I have to say our GB loss was a total team effort, or face consequences, right?

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Any other franchise would have fired this GM 25 years ago, but yet he is still in charge. I just don't see another superbowl under this ownership. They keep having the same person in charge of the franchise, results be damned.
It has reached such ridiculous proportions that the Cowboys are the only NFL team who's 21st century GM was also the GM in the 20th century.

This century is 1/4 over already, and yet we keep being reminded that keeping Jerry as GM is a "unique advantage".

Clearly, it is a unique disadvantage now that Snyder is gone.