CFZ Why it would've have been better to fire McCarthy than make him a lame duck

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Jerry has him in the team for 55 million reasons no matter how you spin it .
Dak remains a Dallas Cowboys player because that’s what Jerry Jones wants…”no matter how you spin it”. The Cowboys have fulfilled their contractual obligation to Dak Prescott. Dak has not fulfilled his contractual obligation to the Cowboys. He is not free to leave until March 2025. The cap hits from his contract will still be affecting the Cowboys when Dak is playing for another team. You may want to believe Jerry is stuck with Dak for another season, but your wanting it to be the case does not make it so. As soon as the team believes they have a better alternative than Dak at quarterback he’ll be gone or he becomes a free agent and signs with another team and he’ll be gone. In either scenario the cap hits, well, they’ll still be there.

Flinger

Reaction score
So…IMO Here are the reasons this decision to keep McCarthy in the last year of contract makes little sense:
  • It will be very hard for this team to recover mentally from that packer loss with the same head coach. The first time this team has a bad half or bad game, it could easily cause a mental free fall like we saw in 2010 with Wade when that team started the season poorly.
  • The early part of the 2024 schedule is not particularly favorable which puts even more pressure on the situation.
  • By also having a bizarre off-season where this front office mostly sat on their hands when it came to getting better, it cannot give this lame duck HC, his staff and his players a feeling that the organization has pushed the chips forward for 2024.
  • By choosing to not be proactive with contracts AGAIN with several of its star players, it has the appearance that this season is a reset. Which would be fine IF you had a new HC.
Interesting. Respect your view. Completely disagree.
  • Hard to recover - Tom Landry would have never made season 6 according to your standard. Yes he can. He's a very good coach.
  • Schedule - Any coach has the same challenge
  • Bizarre front office - Any coach has the same challenge
  • Reset - So, let's just throw out the old and have no plan... because it would be different...
Hope is not a strategy.

MM is a fantastic coach. Only a hand full might be better. On a scale of 1-10, perhaps he's a 7. That leaves only 3 points to improve. Love it or leave it? High risk to leave it for 3 improvement points.
  • 12-5; 3 consecutive years.... any one of 500 coaches could do that, right? Good grief... Coaching is NOT the problem.
Question - rather than deconstruct, be specific - exactly how would you build?

Ah - there is the where everyone gets real quiet. Put the pitchforks and torches away. What a mob.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Yeah the Cowboys scoring defense ranked 5th in '92, 2nd in '93 and 3rd in '94 and '95. And they had the NFL's leading rusher in 3 of those 4 seasons. The defense that backed Roger ranked top 10 in scoring defense in 7 of the 9 seasons he was the primary starter. They were 2nd in the NFL in rush offense in '71 and 3rd in '77. We all have romanticized notions of how our favorite players growing up were superhuman and larger than life and above all, never made mistakes... Never missed a pass, never turned the ball over, never blew a read. Fact is.. they all did.. Their teammates were just good enough to allow them to get away with it and win championships or at least a lot of playoff games. But in the eyes of a lot of people, those guys "carried their teams to playoff wins." Not saying they didn't at times.. just that most of the time they didn't. That's why they didn't win the Super Bowl every year.. Some times their teams weren't good enough.. Unfortunately for Dak,and Romo before him, the Dallas Cowboys have not had a team good enough to overcome a less than super human game from them come playoff time. And neither of them is superhuman.. which makes them just like Troy and Roger. Except those two had far superior teams around them.
100% i think fans really did think that those quarterbacks carried those teams. they didn't heck most of their numbers say they wouldn't have made the HOF had they not been part of such a great dynasty made up of such great players and coaches they were allowed to not be perfect and ended up voted in despite less than spectacular numbers... i literally witnessed in one of the .... bowls troy had a terrible first half, got us in a 10 point hole and what happened defense immediately get the ball back and scores and then ES22 did his thing and all of sudden we were up 1 despite the qb play..Reality check .romo and dak asked to do the impossible or be judged unfairly.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
The FO chose to maintain the status quo and “run it back” after they were dismantled and humiliated in Jan.

They are a strange mix of cowardice, arrogance, and blind optimism. They are scared to make big moves and changes, stubbornly refuse to acknowledge their blind spots and incompetence, and continue to do the same things over and over again and expect positive results to materialize.

This offseason, they have undermined McCarthy, cost themselves millions in future contracts by dragging their feet on extensions, insulted their star players by refusing to negotiate while also undermining their publicly stated “draft, develop, and sign our best players “ strategy, all while propping up the same tired horse and pony show that is clearly not good enough to win when it matters.

Hard to see anything they have done since Jan as a competent response to being exposed the way they were by GB.
The cap is jacked.

Not a lot of options.

Dak has $100+ million in dead money through 2026.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
I don't see any good reasons to blow up this team. You're ignoring Dan Quinn's defense could not stop the Packers. That was addressed by replacing Quinn with Zimmer but according to you, that's not good enough. You'd rather blow up the team than see a second season of this Texas Coast offense. I disagree.
Agree.

No need to blow up the roster.

We had an awesome 2024 draft.

The 2025 draft is critical.

They need a young RB. (Elite)

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
  • 12-5; 3 consecutive years.... any one of 500 coaches could do that, right? Good grief... Coaching is NOT the problem.
Winning in the regular season isn't what MM was hired for. This will be year 5 and I have zero faith he will achieve what he was hired for yet again.

He could go 12-5 for 10 straight seasons and still not achieve what he was hired for. Doesn't mean he's a bad coach. But at some point it becomes pretty clear coaching is the problem.

He has been outcoached in almost every playoff game the Cowboys have played under his watch.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Winning in the regular season isn't what MM was hired for. This will be year 5 and I have zero faith he will achieve what he was hired for yet again.

He could go 12-5 for 10 straight seasons and still not achieve what he was hired for. Doesn't mean he's a bad coach. But at some point it becomes pretty clear coaching is the problem.

He has been outcoached in almost every playoff game the Cowboys have played under his watch.
And yet he also deserves a shot at his fifth year unlike Mr. Bob says, he would have been better to be fired and I disagree... although if he would have I wouldn't have been upset about it, it happens in many of these situations, but anyone thinking that we can make major changes at quarterback or head coach and not have a lot of bad years ahead to turn it around have forgotten how that feels because a lot of us forget about the Dave campo years and that horrible stretch between 1999 and 2004...

As a fan it would be nice to go further in the playoffs but I could tell you this it would be far worse as a fan to have to struggle and barely get the 500 and not make the playoffs ie we ready for under 500 years what 3, 5, 7 years before Jerry gets lucky again? I prefer 5 out of the last eight seasons making theplayoffs VS what taking 5 years to try and be right back here in the same situation?? We've seen many teams not even win a Super Bowl in their entire history some have won one Super Bowl in their entire history some have had 52 year stretches between Super Bowls... So thinking about blowing it up making these changes because you think that that improvement is going to move us forward more that just saying we should make a change because it's the right thing to do without having any idea that it could be much worse, we're going to be happy with under 500 years versus making the playoffs that often? It is not just making the playoffs we've beat the Philadelphia Eagles this team that's supposed to be light years ahead of us at GM literally beat them twice for the division at the last three years made the number two seed where top 6 the last three years..

I will take this stretch over that because everyone's going to say well sometimes you got to take a step back nonsense sometimes you got to keep the window open and try to bring it back one more time and that's what they're doing... So even though it looks like much of the same if you look at it it seems like an improvement to me even though we didn't win a playoff game we did win the division and get the number two seed that's an improvement I realize it's a regular season but that is what exactly you're supposed to do as a coach is put your team in the situation to have a home game and the top seed against a wild card team and yes it it cratered from the beginning and again it starts with Dan Quinn...​

That is why I think the rumor is a bunch of junk about how upset Mike McCarthy is and getting fed up with Jerry Jones really like I said in those posts, he's lucky he was pulled out of retirement by Jerry giving this opportunity given enough star players and talent to at least do what he's done and he has done better than any other coach since Jimmy Johnson if you look at the 90s... So he should feel lucky he wasn't fired not fed up so he needs to do better as does everyone else because it wasn't like Dan Quinn wasn't mostly responsible for almost every loss we had last year and the terrible wind that showcased in Seattle that game showed what that defense was all about he got out coached and I can't wait to play him twice a year versus the watermelon Atlanta kick when we got so yeah if you want to blame him for not getting it done Dan Quinn was not fired he was given a choice to stay or leave and that was absolutely wrong.... But Jerry is not undermining his head coach he is not purposely somehow tanking this season away like people keep saying because there's no way in hell you would have brought back Prescott under that cap hit if that was your plan you literally would have just fired McCarthy and started trading everyone and let Prescott know he should probably waive his no trade clause and give them a list and they would have done that prior to the season...

So, it is clear that Jerry wanted all of them to have a prove it yeah and there's nothing wrong with that because I don't think there's a such thing as a lame duck coach curse?? I mean we saw Jason Garrett do it and end up turning the season around and getting a new contract their contract years for players who do really well and everyone says be careful because they're going to try too hard and overplay to get the money well exactly why it would be any different for the coach I don't know I say he's going to fight to keep his job here and maybe he does a little better...​

Lastly, you need to be in the playoffs to have a shot at the Super bowl and giving us the second seed was an actual improvement although the game was not, I mean the Green Bay loss was heartbreaking it was a gut punch etcetera etcetera

however, he's done well enough that he deserves a last chance..

Last edited:

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There’s only way to get to him. And that’s public humiliation like with booing and revolting at the game
This is how you attack a narcissist. Attempt to motivate them via their oversized ego. Any measure of success will be accomplished by injuring his self-image that he is some sort of NFL management wunderkind. He is not, so create so much uncertainty in-between his ears that will hopefully bend his inflexibility for managing the team.
...and empty seats which translates to hitting the revenue.
There is no realistic way this byproduct of the previous strategy will motivate Jerry Jones into doing something he has never done. The. man. has. too. much. wealth. It would be akin to several hundred thousand angry ants trying to bully an elephant that has nerve damage.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
The cap is jacked.

Not a lot of options.

Dak has $100+ million in dead money through 2026.
Dak doesn’t have it. The Cowboys do. If it were Dak’s it would leave with him when he goes after this season. Dead money belongs to the team that creates it through poor management of player compensation.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Dak doesn’t have it. The Cowboys do. If it were Dak’s it would leave with him when he goes after this season. Dead money belongs to the team that creates it through poor management of player compensation.
We could hire a lot of football players with that $100 mill.

CD and Parsons need paid too.

No way they give Dak another $ with this mess.

Now we know why Lance is taking snaps in OTAs.

Big Mike has to win now.

Or he likely gets the JasonG treatment.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
We could hire a lot of football players with that $100 mill.

CD and Parsons need paid too.

No way they give Dak another $ with this mess.

Now we know why Lance is taking snaps in OTAs.

Big Mike has to win now.

Or he likely gets the JasonG treatment.
And his best opportunity to win now is with Dak.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The richest man in the NFL - who is almost printing money - being worried about “dead money for coaches” is amazing. Maybe that’s why JJ is a great business man in that he pinches every penny. But if he’s serious about winning a championship, having a HC with “dead money” is the least of his problems.
The question remains however, just how serious is Jerry about winning, and where does the issue of winning rank with him among all the other issues he has going on. I can tell you one thing for certain, it’s not at the top of his list.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
100% i think fans really did think that those quarterbacks carried those teams. they didn't heck most of their numbers say they wouldn't have made the HOF had they not been part of such a great dynasty made up of such great players and coaches they were allowed to not be perfect and ended up voted in despite less than spectacular numbers... i literally witnessed in one of the .... bowls troy had a terrible first half, got us in a 10 point hole and what happened defense immediately get the ball back and scores and then ES22 did his thing and all of sudden we were up 1 despite the qb play..Reality check .romo and dak asked to do the impossible or be judged unfairly.

I agree mostly with the exception of Roger's numbers. In the context of his era they were indeed pretty spectacular. Roger was the highest rated passer in league history when he retired and had led the league in passer rating 4 of the 9 years he was the starter. And if I recall correctly he finished second at least once. In short, Roger was pretty much the best QB in the league in the 70's. Only the brevity of his career works against him numbers wise. He didn't put up BIG numbers because Landry was committed to balance but Roger's efficiency was second to none. But he still had his share of terrible days at the office. Most of the time the defense and the run game were good enough to overcome it which is why the Cowboys never had a losing record and only lost more than 4 games in a season twice when Roger was there. Roger was great.. but so was his defense and for at least 7 of the 9 years he was the starter so was his running game. The year when the "Dirty Dozen" helped them get to the Super Bowl they rushed for over 200 yards in 5 of 14 games and over 190 in 2 others. Then for good measure they ran for 195 against the Rams in the playoffs. Roger gets a lot of credit for the Hail Mary... but before that pass he had put up 170 yards passing and no TDs. He did however come out on fire against the Rams the following week. Ultimately though the youngsters on the line could not protect him against the Steelers and that was what led to us losing that game.

Brax

Reaction score
And his best opportunity to win now is with Dak.
As it stands yes Dak now, but let me ask you a question do you think MM would have the guts to pull Dak if he has problems like BP did with Bledsoe. If MM did that do you think Jerry would blow a gasket and say bye to MM

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Interesting. Respect your view. Completely disagree.
  • Hard to recover - Tom Landry would have never made season 6 according to your standard. Yes he can. He's a very good coach.
  • Schedule - Any coach has the same challenge
  • Bizarre front office - Any coach has the same challenge
  • Reset - So, let's just throw out the old and have no plan... because it would be different...
Hope is not a strategy.

MM is a fantastic coach. Only a hand full might be better. On a scale of 1-10, perhaps he's a 7. That leaves only 3 points to improve. Love it or leave it? High risk to leave it for 3 improvement points.
Question - rather than deconstruct, be specific - exactly how would you build?

Ah - there is the where everyone gets real quiet. Put the pitchforks and torches away. What a mob.
What I hate is that apparently Mike isn't going to be able to coach any QB here other than Dak. (Well, except going 4-1 with Cooper Rush.)

He's good with QBs, so I wish he could get the chance to groom a young guy. But it won't happen except with Lance, who I don't think counts because IMO he can't play.

And I don't think a Slowik or Ben Johnson is going to "fix" Dak nine years in.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
As it stands yes Dak now, but let me ask you a question do you think MM would have the guts to pull Dak if he has problems like BP did with Bledsoe. If MM did that do you think Jerry would blow a gasket and say bye to MM
I can’t see Prescott becoming as immobile as Bledsoe was but anything is possible. Perhaps he’ll get hurt which is a greater possibility.

Unless Cowboys were struggling with a losing record looking like the playoffs were in jeopardy I can’t imagine Jethro allowing MM to bench Prescott.

Brax

Reaction score
I can’t see see Prescott becoming as immobile as Bledsoe was but anything is possible. Perhaps he’ll get hurt which is a greater possibility.
It wasn’t the immobility it was int at halftime and BP pulled the plug. That’s what I’m talking about, would MM take the same action