Why Jabril Cox fell to round 4

conner01

Reaction score
Well- he's not injured and certainly do have a problem as a result. Things you highlighted can by fixed by good coaching.
He didn’t work out at pro day because of injury
He slipped because of a shoulder surgery from last year that some worried could be a problem down the road again

conner01

Reaction score
It was bad draft for LBs. I hope he plays a big role in a better defense, but this is why he's a 4th round pick.
I think his past shoulder injury had more to do with him dropping than any weakness in his game
I’ve read some teams questioned whether the shoulder could hold up in the nfl
Apparently it’s a procedure that has a high rate of having to be redone

superonyx

Reaction score
Weaknesses
  • Plays upright from the second level too often.
  • Doesn't appear to be a very quick processor from inside.
  • Early play quickness limited by excessive thinking.
  • Lacking patience necessary to decipher misdirection.
  • Loses pursuit leverage and occasionally overflows cutback lanes.
  • Needs to become more aggressive taking on blocks.
  • Gets outside shoulder covered more than he should.
  • Inconsistent reading lane choices and blocking scheme.
Basically, he's Jaylon Smith. Slow to diagnose and react....... easily fooled on misdirection....wrong lanes ect. I'm not sure this defense can have 2 LBs like this........
Yea and there were many reasons Dak Prescott dropped to the 4th round. How well did that list age?

AKATheRake

Reaction score
It all adds up to he can't diagnose plays.

Yeah, especially that reverse.

Shall it be known. When Jabril Cox is on the field, make sure to run a reverse. Just Jabril Cox being on the field will ensure a.pisitive outcome when running a reverse.

Don't pass because Jabril Cox is on the field.

You should see Micah Parsons weaknesses in his scouting reports, he still went 12th overall.

He's apparently not the most polished LB either when it comes to the playback.

I'm happy with both players, especially where they were both selected and your point of why Cox slipped in the eyes of the NFL is understood.

Good thing development comes into play through capable coaching, scheme and player professionalism.

I think we got a great value pick there with Cox and fantastic depth at the least in certain LB packages.

ghst187

Reaction score
He had 3x INTs in a shortened season in the SEC including one returned for a TD. This profile paints a very different picture than the negative OP. Not sure how you can watch his tape and not like him. He covers like a DB and has more INTs than almost any coming out...as a LB. ok so he’s not a Run stopping behemoth LB but I expect he will be great sniffing out the short routes, screens, and underneath stuff. I loved the pick. I think he only fell due to the shoulder issue. Sounds like we had a second round grade on him which is where I saw him in most mocks

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/jabril-cox-nfl-draft-player-profile-lsu-linebacker/

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
He will be, at minimum, a star (I said it) on special teams this year and a starter at some point.

He proved when he went to LSU that he was underrated coming out of high school. Now he’ll prove he was coming out of college.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah, especially that reverse.

Shall it be known. When Jabril Cox is on the field, make sure to run a reverse. Just Jabril Cox being on the field will ensure a.pisitive outcome when running a reverse.

Don't pass because Jabril Cox is on the field.

You should see Micah Parsons weaknesses in his scouting reports, he still went 12th overall.

He's apparently not the most polished LB either when it comes to the playback.

I'm happy with both players, especially where they were both selected and your point of why Cox slipped in the eyes of the NFL is understood.

Good thing development comes into play through capable coaching, scheme and player professionalism.

I think we got a great value pick there with Cox and fantastic depth at the least in certain LB packages.

I hope both work out. Im as tired as anyone of watching this POS jerry puts out on the field every year on defense. The original point of the thread was to provide balance. Its unfair to the kid for fans to assume he's going to just plug in and dominate which is what you might think if you read 95% of the comments on him. He's a project. He played one year at LSU and that defense wasn't very good. He did not dominate the SEC. He's got a shoulder problem that may not heal 100%. Realistically, all he's going to do this year is play special teams and maybe get in on passing downs.

I'd feel better about Micah if he had played last year and had some recent tape. The NFL Draft is a big enough crap shoot. Then pile on the COVID limitations of what is traditionally the pre-draft evaluation period AND opting out..............its just making the projection that much harder.

Last edited:

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He will be, at minimum, a star (I said it) on special teams this year and a starter at some point.

He proved when he went to LSU that he was underrated coming out of high school. Now he’ll prove he was coming out of college.

He has to prove he's coming out of college?

They won't give this guy the benefit of the doubt on anything.

thechosen1n2

Reaction score
Yep.. linebackers are not equipped to constantly be fighting off 320 pound dudes grabbing at them. Since the d-line has been sub par the linebackers have not really had a chance to show what they can or cannot do. All this noise about their lack of coverage skills is hilarious.. You know why guys like Gronk, Kelce, Kittle, Graham have destroyed defenses across the league? Because no linebacker is great in coverage. The good ones can anticipate and fill passing lanes but asking any of them to cover a good pass catching TE or RB one on one is a recipe for disaster. They do not possess the lateral agility and change of direction to be good at it. That's why Witten was able to get open on Y option even after he slowed down to a 5+ second 40 speed. Most linebackers couldn't even change direction with him. Put Jayon and LVE behind the Bucs or Rams d-line and both make the pro bowl.

Its amazing how many people regurgitate what they hear instead of looking beyond the surface. Does Jaylon get on my nerves with his angles at times, and by running into the wrong gap, but this defense is worse without Jaylon as well. You are not in on that many tackles without doing something right.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
He has to prove he's coming out of college?

They won't give this guy the benefit of the doubt on anything.
*prove he is underrated, Hotshot. :)

I wondered as I typed that if anyone would object to the structure.

Last edited:

blueblood70

Reaction score
Here's the policy that you should take.

All picks are crap until proven otherwise. Including Jabril Cox.

We heard this same stuff about Bradley Anae. He probably won't make the team. Same for Reggie Robinson. And hundreds of others over the years.

It's pointless to project greatness out of hope.

Just wait and see, and we'll know when we know.
or all picks are great until proven otherwise.. see a therapist,

they make happy pills to keep you off your ledge..hope you live ion ground floor home..:muttley::facepalm:

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Its amazing how many people regurgitate what they hear instead of looking beyond the surface. Does Jaylon get on my nerves with his angles at times, and by running into the wrong gap, but this defense is worse without Jaylon as well. You are not in on that many tackles without doing something right.

Cowboys gave up more rushing BEFORE first contact than team in the league. When you give up a lot of first downs and can't get off the field, you make a lot of tackles.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Basically, he's Jaylon Smith. Slow to diagnose and react....... easily fooled on misdirection....wrong lanes ect. I'm not sure this defense can have 2 LBs like this........

Dude hasn't played a snap yet and you've written him off already.

81612738.jpg

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Not only did it but did it base don some write up.....even admitted he didn't see him play lol.

Life is amazingly simple when you can let someone else do all your thinking.. Why watch these guys play when you can just wait until some draft guru tells you whether they're any good or not then parrot what they said authoritatively to make yourself seem smart.