Twitter: Why Jerry will never let go of Dak

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Lol. Dalton isn't coming back. He's already stated w/his performance at Dallas he should be able to land a starting position. :muttley:

Has to be a team willing to take on Dalton as their starting quarterback, he can't just pick one and show up at the field and be awarded the job.

Personally I don't see him getting a starter's job, his record at the Bungles alone would give teams pause.

Besides, extrapolating his 2020 stats to a full season is about 3,200 yards, 20 tds and 11-12 ints. And his stats against good teams in 2020 was hardly sparkling, despite having Cooper, Gallup, Lamb and Zeke and Pollard for most of those games.

He is relatively young, has experience and no locker room issues (apparently) so maybe he can snag a starting job, but it's not a sure thing...

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I think he was crying thinking he just blew his chance at a $40M/year deal.

That would assume he's only or mostly playing for the money, championships and wins take a back seat.

When you look down and see your foot pointing a direction it's not designed to point, I would assume your first thought is "Will I be able to play again"....

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
It was one QB nightmare after another when Aikman went down in 2000 and was released. Either some fans relish the idea of suffering through a another QB carousel like we did back then or weren’t following the team yet to witness the agony we went through trying to find a QB. Some teams are going through it now but we have fools here who apparently think good QBs grow on trees. They believe you move on, draft another one or bring in a castoff and problem solved.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You hit on the key, Booger is a Prescott fan. he likes him, likes his marketability and I do think he ponders on the possible "we could do worse. We have done worse".
These last few seasons have not changed my opinion about Jerry Jones' thoughts in 2016. I am still firmly convinced Jones made a personal, long-term commitment to retain Dak Prescott after a) one month of preseason and b) two months of regular season play his rookie season.

Until proven otherwise, my belief is Jones self-pledged complete support for his new-found franchise quarterback following a brief three-month evaluation. And I think three-months may be a slightly exaggerated length of time.

Nothing has altered my assumption that a long-term deal has only been a formality all this time. The delay has simply been a disagreement in final contractual terms between both parties.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
It was one QB nightmare after another when Aikman went down in 2000 and was released. Either some fans relish the idea of suffering through a another QB carousel like we did back then or weren’t following the team yet to witness the agony we went through trying to find a QB. Some teams are going through it now but we have fools here who apparently think good QBs grow on trees. They believe you move on, draft another one or bring in a castoff and problem solved.

Consistency and availability are valuable in any player, none more so than in your quarterback. Until this year Dak hardly missed a snap, and the team doctors apparently are of the opinion that Dak can come back 100%, or very near to it, so you'd have to count on his availability for the future. He's still fairly young, too, not as likely he'll get injured, see one Drew Brees's injury history.

Dak has shown many times he can be a top notch NFL quarterback. And yes he's shown at times he can be a low-grade NFL quarterback. But what did we hear constantly about Tom Brady the last few years as to partly why he was so good? "He's seen every defense/alignment, etc. there is, nothing fools him". That comes from experience, how many of Dak's ints or bad throws come because he just didn't understand what the defense was trying to do? I'm sure at least some.

Experience can't be rushed, you have to play the games. Dak may be able to win more games with more experience.

If the Cowboys think so, they'll keep him. It appears Jerry thinks so, and that's ALL that matters...

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
Way to unnecessarily call out another member in a belittling manner simply because members choose to have an opinion for themselves rather than think like the masses when it relates to Dak.
Come on, minions are pretty cute
iu

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Consistency and availability are valuable in any player, none more so than in your quarterback. Until this year Dak hardly missed a snap, and the team doctors apparently are of the opinion that Dak can come back 100%, or very near to it, so you'd have to count on his availability for the future. He's still fairly young, too, not as likely he'll get injured, see one Drew Brees's injury history.

Dak has shown many times he can be a top notch NFL quarterback. And yes he's shown at times he can be a low-grade NFL quarterback. But what did we hear constantly about Tom Brady the last few years as to partly why he was so good? "He's seen every defense/alignment, etc. there is, nothing fools him". That comes from experience, how many of Dak's ints or bad throws come because he just didn't understand what the defense was trying to do? I'm sure at least some.

Experience can't be rushed, you have to play the games. Dak may be able to win more games with more experience.

If the Cowboys think so, they'll keep him. It appears Jerry thinks so, and that's ALL that matters...

Philly invested the second overall pick on Carson Wentz and he’s on the bench. Washington just parted ways with another QB they took in the first round and are stuck with a veteran castoff. The Giants drafted Daniel Jones in the top 5 and he’s on the verge of flaming out but fans on this board continue to believe it’s easy finding a QB. When you have a real good QB you don’t let them go you pay them! To the dismay of many here Dak will get paid.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Prescott is the guy Booger wants to use to promote his brand and he's promoting quite a few other brands which makes him even more desirable.

In Booger's grand scheme of Cowboys media dominance, Prescott is the perfect fit. He even got a "turn your head away" injury to add to it.

And as someone already mentioned in this thread, we are not the only ones that remember that revolving QB door between Aikman and Romo and Romo was pure luck. If Payton doesn't have that connection, can you imagine how much longer that would have lasted?

For Booger, it is not about having the best QB or even a top 5 or 10. It is about having the most discussed QB and he's had that for two years now and he's not giving that up. Brees and Rivers retiring will take the front page for a few days and then it's back to Prescott.

And I am not being critical of Booger in this. Considering the lack of accomplishments and the amount of coverage, I'd say he's done himself proud. We might not care that they lead the league in attention, profit and value but that is all he cares about.

Romo wasn't luck Coach. Payton new what Romo was and that's just good personnel work, to me. Payton was here because Parcells wanted him and Jerry Wanted Parcells. I mean, that's a bit of a circular argument, I admit, but it's still true at the base of it. That's why you hire Parcells. That's why Parcells wanted Payton, for things just like that.

The problem with the Cowboys, at that time, was not the teams ability to pick QBs. The problem was that because they mismanaged the cap situation so badly, they had no resources to go out and actually get a QB. I mean, they never spent a 1st round pick on a QB right? They reached on Quincy Carter and took him in the 2nd when not other team in the NFL had him ranked any higher then the 4th. They doubled down on that by keeping Carter, even when it was clear he had issues, because Jerry wanted him. Parcells worked miracles with him IMO. Turned him into a player who could play in the NFL but never a great QB. Not enough to work with for that IMO. But again, it wasn't necessarily because we couldn't evaluate QB talent, it's because we were too stupid to take cap management seriously and then compounded the problem by not knowing when to walk away. Jerry and the Cowboys have always had this problem. They will not bring in QB talent to compete or develop if they believe they have a guy. They have done this with every QB on the team, except Aikman. Jimmy did do it with Aikman and once Jimmy left the building, Jerry turned away from that and never looked back. Instead, we always bring in scrubs or guys that are on the backside of their careers.

So how long would we have had to go without a QB, had we not gotten Tony? Well, not 2004 which is the year we got Tony, we had already traded that one away to the Bills in a trade down. So it could have been 2005. In 2005, we had two first round picks. We used one on DWare and the other on Spears at 20 but, at 24 the Packers took Rodgers. That could have been our QB easily. I mean, the problem is not that we don't understand QBs. The problem is that we, all too often, outsmart ourselves too much. At least, that's my opinion.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score

Teams are desperate for a great quarterback. Just look at Houston rumors are teams are ready to pony up 3-4 1st round picks for Deshaun Watson even with his salary.

Considering Dak was ranked by ESPN as a top 5 quarterback in the league this offseason is going to the most interesting since Bledsoe came here

This just gets repetative.

It is not the fact that Dak can't play.

We all know he can.

The question is what to pay him.

This Franchise has made big commitments to the players around him to win and elevate Daks game.

Cooper for example and the OL before all the injuries. We all forget it all started becuz Jerrah was fixated on Romo and Jerrah wanted a SB with Romo.

Jerrah is a romantic. He wants to have a rags to riches story so Jerrah looks good having found a player who takes him to the top and gets credit for it.

He wanted that with Romo then Romo got hurt and his injury ended his career.

Now Dak has arrived and we have transitioned from Romo Friendly to being Dak Friendly. Why else would Jerrah such money for Cooper and then #1 draft picks for Lamb?

Becuz he wants Dak to win. Why would he sign McCarthy to coach? To finish shaping Daks final development that's why.

This is all clear to me. Always has been. Jerrah loves his team. The fly in the ointment is Jerrah does not know defense. It's not in his DNA.

So he has to hire somebody to run the defense to go with his offensive wiz-bang machine but only Jimmy Johnson had the defense to win consistently.

It's been awhile and many of us have forgotten but Jimmy brought with him from Miami Dave Wannstead and Butch Johnson to build the defense.

He drafted and signed defensive help like Russell Maryland and Jimmy Jones to have a solid DL. Tony Casillas was. FA signing. and the cherry on the pie was Charles Haley..another superstar.

So when I look at our team now..Jerrah has again with the signing of McCarthy bet his money on offense to win another SB.

And I think Jerry is right in doing so.

He must rebuild the OL now but it's a challenge. Tyrone Smith is not the same guy. He has lost Beard due to his syndrome and there are other pressing needs at Safety, CB and DL that are undermanned.

So how do you fix all that?

It's not about Dak and his contract.

It's about Jerrah proving as a GM he has what it takes.

We shall see.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Has to be a team willing to take on Dalton as their starting quarterback, he can't just pick one and show up at the field and be awarded the job.

Personally I don't see him getting a starter's job, his record at the Bungles alone would give teams pause.

Besides, extrapolating his 2020 stats to a full season is about 3,200 yards, 20 tds and 11-12 ints. And his stats against good teams in 2020 was hardly sparkling, despite having Cooper, Gallup, Lamb and Zeke and Pollard for most of those games.

He is relatively young, has experience and no locker room issues (apparently) so maybe he can snag a starting job, but it's not a sure thing...

And an OL off the street, QBing a team that sustained among the most injuries in the NFL. I mean, I think Dalton did a hell of a job considering.

I agree that he's not a sure thing but he's gonna beat out any Rookie that gets drafted IMO so he has a decent chance, I think.