Why Not Bob Stoops??

alancdc

Reaction score
Hostile;1332114 said:
Not sure what I did to get dragged into this, but since I am the guy who approves the accounts what is it that I missed in looking at his username, e-mail addrees, and IP# that should have tipped me off you wouldn't like him?

You lost me bro. No red heads for you.

Thanks!

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
silverbear;1332335 said:
WOW!!!

The Sooners have played 105 games over the past 6 years?? That's 17-18 games a year, that has to be an NCAA record...

The plain truth of the matter is, the last 2 years, the Sooners have been a decent, but hardly intimidating, 19-7... IOW, though he achieved great success early in his NCAA career, he has seen his program regress here lately... and now, his stud running back is headed to the NFL, how will his boys fare next year??

From where I sit, Stoops looks like he took the nation by storm when he first went to OU, then folks finally figured out what he's doing... we also need to recognize that year in and year out, the Sooners have one of the nation's top recruiting classes, meaning he's put up that 86-19 record (over EIGHT years, not six), while generally having the superior talent at his disposal...

There's a lot of coaches out there that can win when you give them a more talented roster to start out with, but Stoops won't be able to gain a talent edge in "recruiting" in the NFL... and the recent past seems to indicate that Stoops isn't that great when the other team has comparable levels of talent, as they generally will in the NFL...

http://img.***BLOCKED***/albums/v628/cowboyszone/thread_stuff/capowned.jpg

Da Hammer

The Natural
Reaction score
JustSayNotoTO;1331565 said:
No NFL experience, gets outcoached in college, doesnt utilize pro schemes, do I need to go on?
Nope you said enough of why he or any other college coach should get hired as the HC of the Dallas Cowboys

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
philo beddoe;1332290 said:
Of course he's a top candidate, as he well should be. Wake up.

He's not a candidate at all... no matter how desperately you wish he was...

He's not a candidate because:

1) He has given absolutely no indication that he's looking to leave his current gig...

2) Jerry has flatly said that his next head coach will have NFL coaching experience, which obviously rules out the object or your unnatural desires...

So, I'd say that fact that he's not on the market, and the guy doing the hiring is NOT going to hire a college coach, adds up to Stoops not being a candidate for the head coaching job of the Dallas Cowboys in any way, shape or form...

IOW, you're engaging in mental masturbation, rather than offering up a solid, REALISTIC option...

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
silverbear;1332335 said:
WOW!!!

The Sooners have played 105 games over the past 6 years?? That's 17-18 games a year, that has to be an NCAA record...

The plain truth of the matter is, the last 2 years, the Sooners have been a decent, but hardly intimidating, 19-7... IOW, though he achieved great success early in his NCAA career, he has seen his program regress here lately... and now, his stud running back is headed to the NFL, how will his boys fare next year??

From where I sit, Stoops looks like he took the nation by storm when he first went to OU, then folks finally figured out what he's doing... we also need to recognize that year in and year out, the Sooners have one of the nation's top recruiting classes, meaning he's put up that 86-19 record (over EIGHT years, not six), while generally having the superior talent at his disposal...

There's a lot of coaches out there that can win when you give them a more talented roster to start out with, but Stoops won't be able to gain a talent edge in "recruiting" in the NFL... and the recent past seems to indicate that Stoops isn't that great when the other team has comparable levels of talent, as they generally will in the NFL...

Wow - aren't we the hateful one SB.

You can't argue the mans record. For crying out loud. That is what all of us are harping over.

He is a proven winning coach at the college level.

Your math is marvelous btw.

silverbear

Reaction score
philo beddoe;1332302 said:
??? I've made no predictions, bub, only suggestions. Have NEVER said Stoops would be the next coach. What are you talking about?

You're the one INSISTING that he's a "candidate" for the job... do try to keep track of your own arguments...

Doomsday101

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;1332334 said:
That's not realistic. Stoops will never go to the NFL as an assistant. The money alone is reason why. If you want a guy like Stoops, you have to offer him. Unfortunatly, that's the way that kind of deal works.

Well if I'm looking at the college ranks there are better ones out there than Stoops. I do think he is a very good coach but in my opinion I can think of a lot of other college coaches I would take over him.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
CATCH17;1332336 said:
Im not a Texas fan but they have been playing well against OU as of late.

OU is in for some more beat downs as long as Texas has Colt McCoy as their QB.

That kid is special and in a conference thats as watered down as the big 12 is Texas fans should be excited about their opportunity to win another National Championship within the next 3 years.

My thinking exactly. :laugh2: I'm very happy with Colt and the job Mac Brown has done at Texas and hope there are some more National Championships on the horizon

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Dallas;1332364 said:

You can't argue the mans record. For crying out loud. That is what all of us are harping over.

Your math is marvelous btw.

Who the heck cares about his record. Its College and hes going to win a lot of games that any coach in College football could win.

OU doesnt play a tough schedule either. Especially Preseason.

After Nebraska tanked in 2001 OU has had to play 1 to 2 teams that could tank their season and one of them is Texas and the other is some team like UCLA, a down and out Alabama team, Oregon.

OU's schedule is soft so look at the games that matter against real competition and teams with real coaches then come hit me back.

He's also got beat in 3 out of his last 4 bowl games. Way to prepare your team Bob.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
CATCH17;1332372 said:
Who the heck cares about his record. Its College and hes going to win a lot of games that any coach in College football could win.

After Nebraska tanked in 2001 OU has had to play 1 to 2 teams that could tank their season and one of them is Texas and the other is some team like UCLA, a down and out Alabama team, Oregon.

OU's schedule is soft so look at the games that matter against real competition and teams with real coaches then come hit me back.

I agree, looking at overall record in the college ranks where top programs are expected to win at least 8 games given the schedule. Look at how they fair against top ranked opponents

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
Doomsday101;1332366 said:
Well if I'm looking at the college ranks there are better ones out there than Stoops. I do think he is a very good coach but in my opinion I can think of a lot of other college coaches I would take over him.

Only ones I would take - and only because they have done some things in the NFL are....

Pete Carroll

Charlie Weise

Every other coach in the NCAA - I really don't feel has shown more than Stoops. Every year they bowl - every year they are in the hunt for the NC title. Some wheels may come off during the season (players hurt) but for the most part. Stoops has his program where most other programs wish they were on a consistent basis.

Thats all I think most of us are saying.

But yes - there are better candidats w/ NFL experience than Stoops. Stoops not having that true NFL experience does taint my want to have him for the next HC.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Dallas;1332379 said:
Only ones I would take - and only because they have done some things in the NFL are....

Pete Carroll

Charlie Weise

Every other coach in the NCAA - I really don't feel has shown more than Stoops. Every year they bowl - every year they are in the hunt for the NC title. Some wheels may come off during the season (players hurt) but for the most part. Stoops has his program where most other programs wish they were on a consistent basis.

Thats all I think most of us are saying.

But yes - there are better candidats w/ NFL experience than Stoops. Stoops not having that true NFL experience does taint my want to have him for the next HC.

I think if you gave Butch Davis the keys that Stoops has at OU they would be unstopable.

Butch Davis would build a dynasty at OU that would be hard to stop. Much like USC in my opinion.

Thats just my opinion though because I think Butch has a better defensive mind and is a better talent evaluator at the College level.

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
CATCH17;1332372 said:

He's also got beat in 3 out of his last 4 bowl games. Way to prepare your team Bob.

Ohhh so its the schedule. I got it. Heck Bob - you should pack up the bandwagon and call it quits.

It is the conference you play in. They stink Bob. That is the whole reason for your success in college. Thats all.

You could not do this in the SEC.

PLEASE !!! hahaha :rolleyes:

silverbear

Reaction score
Dallas;1332364 said:

Naw, just tired of the deification of Bob Stoops by some in here...

Particularly not when he's not about to be coming to Dallas...

Of course you can-- you can point out, as I have, that the guy has an advantage in RECRUITING every year, resulting in him generally having better talent than the other team does...

However, his track record in "big" games, where the opponent might have a talent level approaching the Sooners', is simply not that impressive... and in the NFL, he wouldn't often be blessed with clearly superior talent, at least, he wouldn't have anywhere NEAR the edge talent-wise that he often enjoys at OU...

And he's been winning a bit less frequently these last coupla years, hasn't he??

Of course, being a proven winning coach at the college level is no guarantor of equivalent success in the NFL, is it?? Seems to me that Steve Spurrier is all I need to mention to prove THAT point...

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Dallas;1332391 said:
Ohhh so its the schedule. I got it. Heck Bob - you should pack up the bandwagon and call it quits.

It is the conference you play in. They stink Bob. That is the whole reason for your success in college. Thats all.

You could not do this in the SEC.

PLEASE !!! hahaha :rolleyes:

Listen dude I dont care about Stoops's roll over games.

There is men & women in the Stands that could lead OU to wins vs some of those teams.

Look at what he does against good teams with good coaches. Not Baylor.

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
CATCH17;1332402 said:
Listen dude I dont care about Stoops's roll over games.

There is men & women in the Stands that could lead OU to wins vs some of those teams.

Look at what he does against good teams with good coaches. Not Baylor.

What about this year?

No AD for about half the season. No original starting QB. PT moved from WR back to QB to help out.

With all of that - they got to the Fiesta. Didn't win it - true - but..

Hell I dont know what im talking about.

Bob does suck... :rolleyes:

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
silverbear;1332392 said:
Naw, just tired of the deification of Bob Stoops by some in here...

Particularly not when he's not about to be coming to Dallas...

Of course you can-- you can point out, as I have, that the guy has an advantage in RECRUITING every year, resulting in him generally having better talent than the other team does...

However, his track record in "big" games, where the opponent might have a talent level approaching the Sooners', is simply not that impressive... and in the NFL, he wouldn't often be blessed with clearly superior talent, at least, he wouldn't have anywhere NEAR the edge talent-wise that he often enjoys at OU...

And he's been winning a bit less frequently these last coupla years, hasn't he??

Of course, being a proven winning coach at the college level is no guarantor of equivalent success in the NFL, is it?? Seems to me that Steve Spurrier is all I need to mention to prove THAT point...

SB

Why does Bob Stoops have such an advantage in recruiting?

Is it because everyone just wants to come play for a loser? Cuz I guess im a bit lost.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Dallas;1332421 said:
What about this year?

No AD for about half the season. No original starting QB. PT moved from WR back to QB to help out.

With all of that - they got to the Fiesta. Didn't win it - true - but..

Hell I dont know what im talking about.

Bob does suck... :rolleyes:

After Texas who did OU play? Whats that? Nobody?

And its not like OU took the Big 12... Texas gave it to them.

I looked at the Sooners schedule before the season and it was obvious the only games they had a shot of losing was Texas and Oregon.

Stoops did a good job this year but you could put all the big 12 coaches names in a hat, close your eyes, and radomly select a coaching staff and they would at worst lose 2 games on that schedule this year.

Plus you lost to... Boise State... A team out of the WAC.

Just outplayed and outcoached in that game and it took miracles for OU to even get back in that game because they got it handed to them for 3 1/2 quarters.

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
CATCH17;1332438 said:
After Texas who did OU play? Whats that? Nobody?

And its not like OU took the Big 12... Texas gave it to them.

I looked at the Sooners schedule before the season and it was obvious the only games they had a shot of losing was Texas and Oregon.

Stoops did a good job this year but you could put all the big 12 coaches names in a hat, close your eyes, and radomly select a coaching staff and they would at worst lose 2 games on that schedule this year.

Plus you lost to... Boise State... A team out of the WAC.

Just outplayed and outcoached in that game and it took miracles for OU to even get back in that game because they got it handed to them for 3 1/2 quarters.

Yes it is OU's fault that everyone they played this year - played poorly.

Hang that on Stoops.

Not only should he be better at OU but he needs to be held responsible for the teams he played against as well.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Dallas;1332445 said:
Yes it is OU's fault that everyone they played this year - played poorly.

Hang that on Stoops.

Not only should he be better at OU but he needs to be held responsible for the teams he played against as well.

As a Texas Longhorn fan I expect that Texas should win games aginst lesser schools who do not get near the talent that Texas can bring in. Same for OU in college you gets some easy games and have 2 to 3 games that are good matchups that truely test your team. That is not Stoops fault but it is reality