Why Not Bob Stoops??

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Billy Bullocks;1332123 said:
Yeah, but the guys who are better than him in college have failed at the next level, ie. Carrol, Saban. Even his boy Spurrier.

You can twist it anyway you want it, but he hasn't been very good without his Bro. And neither of them have ever ran an NFL scheme, or coached at this level. No thanks.

With teh talent we haev on this team, do you really want to go with a guy who is learning the ropes as he goes along?

I'm not trying to say that they haven't. I AM NOT IN FAVOR OF HIRING A COLLEGE COACH. STOOPS IS NOT MY FIRST CHOICE> I'm simply saying lets not throw the guy under the bus because we hate OU. He's a fine coach. I agree that you are only as good as the talent around you. However, Stoops could bring some pretty good talent with him if he elected to do this. That's all I'm saying.

Cochese

Benched
Reaction score

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Doomsday101;1332184 said:
Thing is you expect programs like OU to win; getting top recruits to go to OU is not that hard.

Really, take a look back at the last 5 years and tell me how many top 5 recruiting classes OU has had.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;1332193 said:
Really, take a look back at the last 5 years and tell me how many top 5 recruiting classes OU has had.

According to Stoops they have had some outstanding recruiting at OU. It is not hard to get kids to leave the state of Texas and go to OU.

philo beddoe

Benched
Reaction score
Doomsday101;1332184 said:
Thing is you expect programs like OU to win; getting top recruits to go to OU is not that hard.
Why didn't John Blake Or Schnellenberger (sp?) win there?

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
philo beddoe;1331561 said:
I think he'd be a great hire. Have yet to hear any credible negatives.

do you have some sort of man crush on this guy?

there are all sorts of negatives, how can you honestly say you havent heard them or know of any?

he needs to stay in Norman

David

philo beddoe

Benched
Reaction score
JustSayNotoTO;1332192 said:
Its more about who he lost to, Oregon (TWICE), Boise St., TCU, Texas Tech, UCLA, Kansas State?? No way you can ever convince me that those schools are on a level playing field talentwise with OU. Thats what I mean by being out coached, these teams with lesser talent seems to beat OU on a semi-regular basis.
Oklahoma beat #6 Oregon in their bowl game in 2006.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Its more about who he lost to, Oregon (TWICE), Boise St., TCU, Texas Tech, UCLA, Kansas State?? No way you can ever convince me that those schools are on a level playing field talentwise with OU. Thats what I mean by being out coached, these teams with lesser talent seems to beat OU on a semi-regular basis.

All great coaches have down years. I mean, for the most part, your talking about one year here.

You need to wake up. This just in, Boise St. is Good!

He lost to KSt. Once. How many times has he beaten them? Same with TCU, same with UCLA. He beat the very same UCLA team 59-24 in 03. He's only lost to Oregon once that I know of.

Name me any coach and I'll show you losses. Jimmy Johnson went 7-4, 4-7, 7-5, 4-5, 8-4, 8-5 between the years of 79-84. After he left College and went on to the Pros, while at Miami, he was 8-8, 9-7, 10-6 and 9-7.

It happens.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Doomsday101;1332210 said:
According to Stoops they have had some outstanding recruiting at OU. It is not hard to get kids to leave the state of Texas and go to OU.

I'm sure. But when and how great?

Kalyan

Reaction score
I have my doubts about stoops but looking at all the people that are available, if Jimmy/Cowher is not available, my next choice would be Stoops. He will be a very good HC

It is just not possible to win all your games you are supposed to win year in and year out. Especially division games, playing on the road with roster turnovers that college teams have, it is just not going to happen. So I disagree that he lost to so and so team. I could agree if you say his teams came out flat against USC (underestimate them?) and lost to LSU but still he has done everything and beyond what is expected of him

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;1332237 said:
All great coaches have down years. I mean, for the most part, your talking about one year here.

He lost to KSt. Once. How many times has he beaten them? Same with TCU, same with UCLA. He beat the very same UCLA team 59-24 in 03. He's only lost to Oregon once that I know of.

Name me any coach and I'll show you losses. Jimmy Johnson went 7-4, 4-7, 7-5, 4-5, 8-4, 8-5 between the years of 79-84. After he left College and went on to the Pros, while at Miami, he was 8-8, 9-7, 10-6 and 9-7.

It happens.

On no you don't.

You better stop these facts you are throwing out so carelessly. You may just make some of the nay-sayers go do some HOMEWORK.

Seriously folks -

www.google.com - wiki stoops

READ

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
ykc;1332253 said:
I have my doubts about stoops but looking at all the people that are available, if Jimmy/Cowher is not available, my next choice would be Stoops. He will be a very good HC

It is just not possible to win all your games you are supposed to win year in and year out. Especially division games, playing on the road with roster turnovers that college teams have, it is just not going to happen. So I disagree that he lost to so and so team. I could agree if you say his teams came out flat against USC (underestimate them?) and lost to LSU but still he has done everything and beyond what is expected of him

Oklahoma pays him over 3 million a year.

To be a terrible coach. Nuff said.

Cochese

Benched
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;1332237 said:

It happens.

I still dont understand why people throw out JJ's name like he is the last bastion of coaching excellence. He is the exception to the rule that college coaches bomb in the NFL, and that was so long ago its not even relevant any more.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
philo beddoe;1332231 said:
Why didn't John Blake Or Schnellenberger (sp?) win there?

Coming off NCAA violations had a lot to do with it. Kids want to go to big time programs to help their chances of making it to the pros when your not on TV or getting a chance to play in a bowl game as well as reductions in scholarship it will cause any college program problems. As for Blake he was a bad choice from the get go.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
JustSayNotoTO;1332265 said:
I still dont understand why people throw out JJ's name like he is the last bastion of coaching excellence. He is the exception to the rule that college coaches bomb in the NFL, and that was so long ago its not even relevant any more.

I agree. Name me another coach and I'll show you they've lost games too. Name me anybody.

philo beddoe

Benched
Reaction score
dbair1967;1332233 said:
do you have some sort of man crush on this guy?

there are all sorts of negatives, how can you honestly say you havent heard them or know of any?

he needs to stay in Norman

David
Man crush. LOL. Why are you a knee jerk hater? The guy is a great coach, plain & simple. The fact that you can't see it doesn't bother me. Maybe we'll get Rich Kotite just for you. Now that would be exciting.

alancdc

Reaction score
Dallas;1332038 said:
**** -

You have lost ever ounce of credibility you ever thought you might have had in this forum.

This is NOT the 1970 brother. Get w/ the program.

Truth comes out. It is just old biased opinion of Switzer and the NC titles he got.

That however translates to NOTHING about Bob Stoops. Need I remind you be kicked Bomar off the flippin team because he put down hours he worked at a local car dealership - that he NEVER worked.

Dude get real or just get lost. You have GOT to bring more of this to the table.

Good LORD!!! How did you ever get past registering w/ the site here?

Are you sure you meant to rag me? Did you respond to the wrong post? I haven't mentioned Switzer? All I said was that he hasn't been able to win in the past few years in a very average Big 12. Would you not agree with that? Also, I don't think I had any credibility with this forum. It is an opinion forum so it really doesn't matter. Still not sure where you were going with me on this? I like Stoops, but he, to me, is just another in the long line of college coaches that came out HOT and now has cooled off a bit, and no way do I want him to be the next coach of the Dallas Cowboys. I don't know where Switzer came in the conversation. If you are the "get lost" monitor then by all means I will be happy to do so.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
philo beddoe;1331640 said:
No reason for it to die, friend. Stoops is a top candidate.

Except he's not a candidate at all... or have you heard something the rest of us haven't??

Then there's the matter of Jerry saying unequivocally that the only way he'd hire a college coach is if he had prior NFL coaching experience... Stoops doesn't, so that rules him out...

But hey, don't let what Jerry says keep you from indulging in your Sooner fantasies... the Boys did the Sooner head coach thing once before, only the profoundly delusional would think that Jerry would want to warm over that approach...

philo beddoe

Benched
Reaction score
silverbear;1332283 said:
Except he's not a candidate at all... or have you heard something the rest of us haven't??

Then there's the matter of Jerry saying unequivocally that the only way he'd hire a college coach is if he had prior NFL coaching experience... Stoops doesn't, so that rules him out...

But hey, don't let what Jerry says keep you from indulging in your Sooner fantasies... the Boys did the Sooner head coach thing once before, only the profoundly delusional would think that Jerry would want to warm over that approach...
Of course he's a top candidate, as he well should be. Wake up.