Why not grab Baker Mayfield? Dak may not be the answer

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Ahhh another one of those games where Dak plays like a backup QB until the Browns are up by 30 and take their foot off his throat. And oooohhh he suddenly starts padding his stats. Just like that Rams playoff game. Does anyone realize Dak going 3 and out for 3 quarters kills an already suspect defense. It's basically like the defense never leaves the field for rest. Then people blame the defense at the end of the game for not stopping the other team even though their gassed.
i bring this up now and again, but most fans just blame the defense.
3 and outs, or just not going on a drive and killing some time and resting your defense, is going to lead to a tired defense, which leads to the other team
offense being able to go on a drive and score.
could be why cleve was able to run so much in that last game.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You know, I was thinking about a rebuttal... but I just can't keep this up with you. You think Baker is a better qb, and is better for the Cowboys than Dak... that's just bargain basement football IQ, you got it.
I know things can ALWAYS be worse. But Dak hasn;t given us anything more than Baker gave the Browns.

I enjoyed watching Romo more than Dak....but Tony didn;t truly give us anything more than Dak has.

It's the great leveler. We haven't even really COMPETED for anything except the unglorious NFCE title. Best of The Worst.

Not sure it's worth throwing all your chips into the "football IQ" ante.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I know things can ALWAYS be worse. But Dak hasn;t given us anything more than Baker gave the Browns.

I enjoyed watching Romo more than Dak....but Tony didn;t truly give us anything more than Dak has.

It's the great leveler. We haven't even really COMPETED for anything except the unglorious NFCE title. Best of The Worst.

In fairness, we're not in the worst division. For one thing, we had a wild card team in our division, and we were the lone division in the NFC aside from the NFC West with one, so what's that make the NFC South and North? Also, the AFC South is routinely a dumpster fire given the teams in that division. I'd say our division is probably average.

fredp22

Reaction score
letting Dak go would be a 108+ million dollar cap hit. Then you spend another 20m on Baker. If he flops thats a 128m cap hit and you end up with nothing. Even Stephen isnt that bad with the cap

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In fairness, we're not in the worst division. For one thing, we had a wild card team in our division, and we were the lone division in the NFC aside from the NFC West with one, so what's that make the NFC South and North? Also, the AFC South is routinely a dumpster fire given the teams in that division. I'd say our division is probably average.
Fine. Whatever you say. It was once a fearsome menace with several teams competing for conference and super bowl championships year in and year out.
Now we're bragging about having a wild card.

kevm3

Reaction score
The fact that they were willing to take a risk on Deshaun Watson with all of his allegations looming over his head should tell you enough. Baker might have some talent on the field, but something about his personality is rubbing people the wrong way enough for them to trade for a qb who may not even play for a while.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Fine. Whatever you say. It was once a fearsome menace with several teams competing for conference and super bowl championships year in and year out.
Now we're bragging about having a wild card.

No, I know, I'm just saying that it's not like we are completely devoid of talent in our division aside from us. In the NFC North, the only team that looks competitive aside from the Packers is maybe the Vikings. In the South, the only good team there is the Bucs, and that's because they have Tom Brady. For us, we will probably be battling Philly for our division for quite some time. I want us to battle for the championship. Do not mistaken me, and I want the Cowboys to win the SB as I've yet to see it. I'm just saying let's tap the brakes a bit on calling the NFC East the worst. At least that's my take on it.

As for the Cowboys, if we can get our oline a bit better, stay healthy, and cut down on the penalties, I think the Cowboys can win a Super Bowl in the next 2-3 seasons.

88sAndHeartbreak

Reaction score

Dak has given the Cowboys better play and leadership than Baker has given the Browns. Wins are secondary in this argument, because that's when the playing as a team aspect comes in.

If we are talking about purely on the field play, and a person thinks Baker is better... then they have a low football IQ.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
You are making no sense and refuse to face facts. enjoy next season with dak , he is not going anywhere , enjoy mediocrity and more of the same.
Why are you hear? To take jabs at Dallas fans that support their team?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Yeah Dallas can bring him in on his 18 mill a year final year of his contract and with a projected market value of 31. million a year contract. Not happening.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I believe baker at a reasonable 15-20 million contract will be a far better option for the cowboys in the next 4-6 years than Dak .
Mayfield can ignite this offense and make better use of the receivers and OL we have .
Not to mention that dak has become injury prone, and has wild inconsistencies and slumps during the season.

Even if Dak takes a step back this year, we can't afford to cut him. As of right now, he carries 108M of dead cap space. So, he's not going anywhere for a long time. If he doesn't work out, we have to draft a cheap QB. No way we can pay Mayfield and Dak.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dak has given the Cowboys better play and leadership than Baker has given the Browns. Wins are secondary in this argument, because that's when the playing as a team aspect comes in.

If we are talking about purely on the field play, and a person thinks Baker is better... then they have a low football IQ.
I dont think that.
But im not about to completely separate winning from the qb either. Dak gets defacto leader tag....qb is field general. Neither one has lead their team to anything

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
Ahhh another one of those games where Dak plays like a backup QB until the Browns are up by 30 and take their foot off his throat. And oooohhh he suddenly starts padding his stats. Just like that Rams playoff game. Does anyone realize Dak going 3 and out for 3 quarters kills an already suspect defense. It's basically like the defense never leaves the field for rest. Then people blame the defense at the end of the game for not stopping the other team even though their gassed.
He is a guy you can win games with, if all the right pieces are in place. And that is not what you pay league top money for.

People that refuse to accept these 3 facts are just delusional.
1) Dak plays better when Zeke and Pollard run the ball successfully.
2) Dak makes his stats look much better than they actually are in garbage time
3) He has not performed well in the playoffs, must win games or games against teams with winning records (likely playoff teams) in the reg season.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He is a guy you can win games with, if all the right pieces are in place. And that is not what you pay league top money for.

People that refuse to accept these 3 facts are just delusional.
1) Dak plays better when Zeke and Pollard run the ball successfully.
2) Dak makes his stats look much better than they actually are in garbage time
3) He has not performed well in the playoffs, must win games or games against teams with winning records (likely playoff teams) in the reg season.
I realize that at some point you either accept that premise or not. And sometimes people like chosing stats over eye test or eye test over stats.

But I wonder *if*...there are stats to show how dak performs in "big games" and then compare them to stats in "garbage time". Not trying to trap you..I tend to agree. But can we see it on paper.

basel90

Reaction score
The OP queries, why not grab Baker Mayfield?

Here's why: it won't happen! Stephen wouldn't allow it.
Our cheap FO won't go there! We all know this, do we not? :muttley:

Truth be told, I hope the Dallas FO accepts the challenge and does it anyway!

Reason being, is that I'm basically perturbed at our stagnant ways and need the excitement.
I know -- many of you find that overly desperate and unlikely to come to fruition, and you'd be correct. :grin:
Agree. Mediocrity is terrible with this FO . Some fans have come to accept it

basel90

Reaction score
Rather "grab" Cam. At least he can still run!
that will be even better if they can get him. But i feel Dak does not like competiton . Jerry won't disrupt that . I wish Jimmy was here , he would have given Dak some real competition to get him to perform.

basel90

Reaction score
you nailed it. defense gets gassed during 3 quarters before Dak starts to get going now that the loss is almost upon the team , he pads his stats and makes some completions against prevent defenses and makes some drives in desperation, almost always ending in a loss. And then blame the defense at the end of the game . A terrible syndrome

basel90

Reaction score
I realize that at some point you either accept that premise or not. And sometimes people like chosing stats over eye test or eye test over stats.

But I wonder *if*...there are stats to show how dak performs in "big games" and then compare them to stats in "garbage time". Not trying to trap you..I tend to agree. But can we see it on paper.
Dak's win record against good teams is like 23%