Why not just start Trey Lance?

khiladi

Reaction score
And that one good year in college wasn't against the likes of Alabama, Michigan, Washington, LSU, Florida St. or Oregon.

The best thing Lance could do for the Cowboys is be part of a major trade with the Bears.
Sounds like Dak’s college career…

khiladi

Reaction score
Dallas isn’t tied to Lance…. Who cares if he sucks.. it means a high pick and time to draft a QB…

Jimbo123

Reaction score
this is a good idea, they need to evaluate lance in real games, then decide if he is promising, or needs to be traded.
And getting the #1 draft pick in each round, is worth alot. Way better than what they get if the play dak.

Will jones boys do this? lol no I dont think so.
Are you suggesting that they could get a 1st round pick for Lance?

khiladi

Reaction score
Nobody is tied to Lance…. 1 year in a rebuild.. hire a new coach with a different offensive philosophy.. work with him on what they want.. because of the sucky record one gets a high draft pick, go QB..

Jimbo123

Reaction score
Lance beat out JimmyG for the starting QB job.

Then broke his leg in game 2.
What injury did he have when he became Sam Darnold's backup?
What injury did he have when he became Cooper Rush's backup?

ColoradoCowboy

Reaction score
Dak is gone, the writing is on the wall and before you say he gives us the best chance to win this year, I agree, he is going to win more meaningless regular season games and if this team is fortunate to make the playoffs he isn't going to take us to a superbowl, that's not going to happen with this current team regardless and I think most everyone agrees with that take.

So starting Dak net's you nothing and actually hurts the 25 draft stock. Give Lance a true year of evaluation, the worst that can happen is the team goes 0-17 has the top pick or top five pick and free of Dak's cap hit. Or start Dak, win a few games, know nothing about Lance's ability and end up with a middle to late round first.
I got bad news for you....

Due to the magic of "Void Years", Dak will cost over $40 million in cap space next year even if NOT resigned. Yeah, that is over 15% of the total cap if it stays at this year's level.

Nexx

Reaction score
I am all for it. We all though Jordan Love sucked until he was given a shot. I think Love and Lance have similar skill sets. Cowboys either suck and get a high draft pick to go after a QB in the draft or maybe they find a something with Trey. Win win in my book as opposed to zero hope with Dak at winning in the playoffs this season.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Dak is gone, the writing is on the wall and before you say he gives us the best chance to win this year, I agree, he is going to win more meaningless regular season games and if this team is fortunate to make the playoffs he isn't going to take us to a superbowl, that's not going to happen with this current team regardless and I think most everyone agrees with that take.

So starting Dak net's you nothing and actually hurts the 25 draft stock. Give Lance a true year of evaluation, the worst that can happen is the team goes 0-17 has the top pick or top five pick and free of Dak's cap hit. Or start Dak, win a few games, know nothing about Lance's ability and end up with a middle to late round first.
Why not start Lance?

Because other fans would laugh at us?
Yet a 0-17 is so tantalizing for draft purposes.

CWR

Reaction score

I think it all points towards Dak getting extended. Lance and this failure to even try all point towards a desperate and ultimately unsuccessful attempt at leverage.

The FO is so delusional they wasted a 4th on a guy they won't ever let touch the field.

They didn't want FAs anyway so they love having the built-in excuse not to spend.

Yes our FO sucks that bad.

CWR

Reaction score
I got bad news for you....

Due to the magic of "Void Years", Dak will cost over $40 million in cap space next year even if NOT resigned. Yeah, that is over 15% of the total cap if it stays at this year's level.
Since they added two more void years they can spread that out can't they? More like 10 million a year for four years.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
I think it all points towards Dak getting extended. Lance and this failure to even try all point towards a desperate and ultimately unsuccessful attempt at leverage.

The FO is so delusional they wasted a 4th on a guy they won't ever let touch the field.

They didn't want FAs anyway so they love having the built-in excuse not to spend.

Yes our FO sucks that bad.
He’s a phenom, though.

Chasing6

Reaction score
We can only hope Dak is benched during the season and Lance closes it out and plays well
Trance is not going to play well. He may run around and make some highlight plays though.