Why not just start Trey Lance?

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Yea maybe so but if you lose players because of it were they really worth keeping anyway? I'm pretty sure the players can tell that this is a lame duck year anyway with Mccarthy and Dak on final years and next to no FA activity. If this is the route we are going we should be auditioning not just Lance but a lot of younger guys to see what we have going forward.
Here is the problem............after every loss the media will stick a microphone in the face of every single player and ask them "do you think you would have won the game if Dak started"?

If they say yes, they just threw Lance or whoever the QB is under the bus along with the coaching staff that made that decision, if they say no, then they just threw their friend and teammate Dak under the bus. So you are really putting all your players in a pickle right off the bat.

This will lead to players and possibly coaches "picking sides".............that is how a lockeroom gets torn apart and that is why no team in the NFL does this, bench a franchise guy for an unknown. Name me one team that has done this, bench a healthy QB that finsihed 2nd in the MVP vote the previous year and was benched the following season so the team could take a look at some backups in regular season games.

Anybody give me one single example?

CWR

Reaction score
As long as he is under contract, yes. But once his contract does expire and those years actually DO void; the cap hit for all remaining monies is due immediately. So if he plays out this year and his contract expires, he counts $40,460,000 against our cap next year, but nothing afterwards. And since it is an expiring contract and NOT a cut, they can't call it a "June 1st cut" and spread it out over two years.
Wow I didn't realize the void years were accelerated. Thanks.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
The Joneses think the Cowboys can win the Super Bowl with Dak. They are telling the truth on that statement even though people disagree on this board.
The Joneses are proven liars. Why would you give them any benefit of the doubt on this? His actions speak louder than his words. If they really thought this was the case they would have extended Dak and been more active in FA.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
As long as he is under contract, yes. But once his contract does expire and those years actually DO void; the cap hit for all remaining monies is due immediately. So if he plays out this year and his contract expires, he counts $40,460,000 against our cap next year, but nothing afterwards. And since it is an expiring contract and NOT a cut, they can't call it a "June 1st cut" and spread it out over two years.
His contract is just a mess.

Likely the reason Jerry doesn’t want to give Dak anymore $$$.

Time to cut bait.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
The Joneses are proven liars. Why would you give them any benefit of the doubt on this? His actions speak louder than his words. If they really thought this was the case they would have extended Dak and been more active in FA.
Jerry doesn’t want to add anymore mega millions to this mess.

Flamma

Reaction score
A few weeks ago I would have wholeheartedly disagreed with that thought, but at this point I'm not sure how they don't go this route? The Cowboys approach of asking Dak to win with less is not good for either party. If he's not coming back in 2025 it really is best to cut ties now, see what if anything you have in Lance now, and go from there. If they are not actively trying to improve the roster there is no sense in giving Dak a talent starved offense to win 8 games instead of 6 with.
He thinks we're fools. Most fans don't pay close attention to the salary cap and how contracts are structured. Hell, I didn't until 2016. Before then I would have taken one look at the cap space and said, yeah, we have little space to work with. Those are the people he is talking to. But ever since Spotrac and over the cap came out, people paying close attention know he's full of cow chips. He wants to win with less. Translation, wants to spend less. He manipulates the cap to show little space.

I don't think they can cut ties now. If they trade him, they'll be on the hook for like 65M in dead cap. I know it's only 10M more, but it creates a problem, and they'd be punting the season. I think Jerry actually thinks they have a shot this year.

morasp

Reaction score

there are a lot of positives to work with, some of his strengths are the opposite of Dak's​

Overview​

One-year starter who dazzled in 2019. Lance is mature for his age, but will be just 20 years old at the time of the 2021 NFL Draft. He's a rare dual-threat quarterback in that he's tasked with setting his own protections and reading the full field. Coaches rave about his football IQ and film work. They believe he will come into the league more football savvy than most of the quarterbacks in this draft. Tape shows very average arm strength but velocity should improve with better lower-body drive. While his recognition of coverage danger is a plus, he's currently more of a "yellow light" quarterback who needs to find a "green light" risk-taking mentality to become a playmaking talent in the NFL. An offensive coordinator willing to blend his run/pass talent with a play-action attack could get the most out of Lance, who should become a good NFL starter.

Strengths​

* Film junkie with high football IQ and an NFL frame. * Makes calls to set his own protections. * Bouncy feet for accelerated pocket setups. * Play-fake aficionado from under center, causing defenders to consistently bite. * Passing scheme encourages full-field reads. * Processes progressions very quickly and can work to his fourth read when protected. * Able to mentally recalibrate his attack when play comes off schedule. * Taking care of the football is a priority for him. * Rarely takes bait against zone defenders and safeties looking to pounce. * Compact, twitchy release partially mitigates his windup. * Makes attempt to throw targets away from coverage. * Adequate anticipation on timing routes. * Makes quality touch throws into sideline buckets and over linebackers. * Knows his way around pocket and can make sudden escapes. * Above-average speed, athleticism and power when heâs on the move as a runner. * Able to move the chains in a variety of ways.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/trey-lance/32004c41-4e01-6787-f7d5-ee3cea053121

Weaknesses​

Beat up this year thanks to poor protection. When he wasn't being sacked, he was being hit hard. Not as competitive a rusher in 2015. Sacks and usage in run game might be taking a toll. Increase in short pass attempts from 86 to 208 this year reason for higher completion numbers. Accuracy on intermediate and deep throws dropped sharply. Pocket poise has been compromised. Hyper aware of pressure around him and lacks awareness to slide and find temporary shelter to make throw. Concern over pressure too often trumps ability to get through progressions. Must speed up the pace of his reads. Footwork is a mess. Slight stride onto stiff upper leg with little weight shift. Restricted follow through and too often tries to muscle throws with upper body. Throws to target rather than leading or throwing them open on short/intermediate throws. Too respectful of underneath coverage and must be more willing to challenge the defense. Needs to improve anticipation.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/dak-prescott/32005052-4528-5723-d1b2-96e92ebc1241

DuncanIso

Reaction score
They started planning Daks exit the second they made the Lance trade.

FVSTONE

Reaction score
That’s why it’s good he sat a year. Last season I was frustrated that we didn’t promote him to 2nd string. Now I’m glad he got the work in without the pressure of his draft status. He’s got the physical tools so hopefully sitting a year to work on his mechanics, mental aspect and this offense, will hopefully pay dividends. I think he had too much pressure in SF. Now there’s no pressure on him.
Physical tools????? The young man had major issues just trying to stay healthy enough to sit on the 9er bench, let alone playing in a game. If you think there is no pressure on Lance, I believe you got this one wrong. He's probably going out of his mind about when he might get his chance and when he does, he couldn't beat out Rush for the backup spot because he not that good of a QB when he's healthy.

ghst187

Reaction score
Because Lance sucks. He made his money off 1 decent college season. Teams don't give up on their high draft pick unless they are mentally not ready for the nfl. Lance couldn't beat out rush in an open and fair competition to save his life.
Or Sam Darnold for the third spot in SF.
He’s not good. If he was more mobile and ran a lot like Hurtz, Lamar, or Allen maybe I’d be curious but he can’t cut it as a drop back guy.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Because Lance sucks. He made his money off 1 decent college season. Teams don't give up on their high draft pick unless they are mentally not ready for the nfl. Lance couldn't beat out rush in an open and fair competition to save his life.
He took the QB1 job from JimmyG in the 2022 training camp.

Yes,

That JimmyG.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Or Sam Darnold for the third spot in SF.
He’s not good. If he was more mobile and ran a lot like Hurtz, Lamar, or Allen maybe I’d be curious but he can’t cut it as a drop back guy.
2023 in SF was all about Purdy.

Even JimmyG left.

Be glad Lance broke his leg in 2022.

Otherwise, we never make the trade.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Physical tools????? The young man had major issues just trying to stay healthy enough to sit on the 9er bench, let alone playing in a game. If you think there is no pressure on Lance, I believe you got this one wrong. He's probably going out of his mind about when he might get his chance and when he does, he couldn't beat out Rush for the backup spot because he not that good of a QB when he's healthy.
Lance was traded in late Aug 2023.

Camp was over.

Also, Dallas has much respect for Rush.

But, he’s no JimmyG, who Lance dominated in the 2022 SF camp.

Remember, Lance was dumped on Big Mike, who didn’t even know about the trade.

Relax haters.

#Lance2024

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Yes,

That JimmyG.
Kinda. He took it because they drafted him high not because he beat out Jimmy g. They had intent on moving on from jimmy. What they got from lance in real games was sub par performance. Purdy played so well there was no way they could go back to lance regardless on when they were drafted. They knew their mistake but purdy was the solution so moving on was easy.

StarLord

Reaction score
Maybe that is why CD and Micah are not getting extended. Why he isn't creating cap space with DLaw's contract. Let everyone walk.

I would be extremely impressed if he did that a long with trading CD and Micah.

Go all in on rebuilding.
Irrespective of Dak, if they don't plan to extend CD or Micah to something close to market value, then they need to trade one or both of them for a kings ransom.

Wildcat711

Reaction score
Jersey sales my friend. jersey sales. Dak was #5 in jersey sales. Lance was bottom of the barrell. too much loss for Jerry to start Lance and secondly that would be admitting defeat.
Also, Cowboys didn't pick up Lance 5th year option. which means if they start him and he does well enough, then his market value goes up. perhaps Jerry is going to ride Dak one more year. squeeze all the money out of Jersey sales as he can. then sign Lance for 2025 at a much lower market price.

Also, they may have insight into Lance that he is not the answer and that's why they didn't pick up his 5th year option.
This Jersey sales "thing" is a bit of a misnomer as players get around 65% of the $$ I believe.

and tbh any QB who starts for the Cowboys for an extended period is going to be up there in Jersey sales.

ghst187

Reaction score

Yes,

That JimmyG.
Ummm they spent a ton of draft capital to move up and get him so yeah they were going to play him. They knew Jimmy G wasn’t going to get them a ring.
And then Trey couldn’t beat out Sam Darnold, yeah that Sam Darnold.

ghst187

Reaction score
2023 in SF was all about Purdy.

Even JimmyG left.

Be glad Lance broke his leg in 2022.

Otherwise, we never make the trade.
Also, had Lance not broke his leg, SF misses the playoffs that year bc Lance was so incredibly bad.
Instead of costing a fourth, he might’ve not cost anything to acquire had the league had a fulll season to see how bad he was.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Also, had Lance not broke his leg, SF misses the playoffs that year bc Lance was so incredibly bad.
Instead of costing a fourth, he might’ve not cost anything to acquire had the league had a fulll season to see how bad he was.
What if he’s incredibly good? There is no reason to believe that, but what if? If you don’t play him you’ll never know. Ever. I don’t think he’ll ever approach what Dak has accomplished in professional football, but I’m at least open minded enough to say it’s worth finding out. Pre-season doesn’t mean anything. Last year Philly had a rookie quarterback (I don’t know his name) that performed very well in pre-season. He sat as the third QB all season long and now the Eagles have signed two other guys to back up Hurts. So pre-season doesn’t mean ****. Play Lance for real, when it counts. It is at least prudent to find out if he can be “that guy”.

Strykerscm

Reaction score
Dak is gone, the writing is on the wall and before you say he gives us the best chance to win this year, I agree, he is going to win more meaningless regular season games and if this team is fortunate to make the playoffs he isn't going to take us to a superbowl, that's not going to happen with this current team regardless and I think most everyone agrees with that take.

So starting Dak net's you nothing and actually hurts the 25 draft stock. Give Lance a true year of evaluation, the worst that can happen is the team goes 0-17 has the top pick or top five pick and free of Dak's cap hit. Or start Dak, win a few games, know nothing about Lance's ability and end up with a middle to late round first.
This would be the smart move but the leadership of the Cowboys are stupid.