Why not just start Trey Lance?

Chasing6

Reaction score
Dak is gone, the writing is on the wall and before you say he gives us the best chance to win this year, I agree, he is going to win more meaningless regular season games and if this team is fortunate to make the playoffs he isn't going to take us to a superbowl, that's not going to happen with this current team regardless and I think most everyone agrees with that take.

So starting Dak net's you nothing and actually hurts the 25 draft stock. Give Lance a true year of evaluation, the worst that can happen is the team goes 0-17 has the top pick or top five pick and free of Dak's cap hit. Or start Dak, win a few games, know nothing about Lance's ability and end up with a middle to late round first.
Your assuming they no nothing. There is a reason he is competing with Rush and not Dak.

You are the one that knows nothing.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
We can forget about the Cowboys cutting ties with Dak until the FO feels reasonably confident that they have a winner in Trey Lance as a possible starter. Making a pre-emptive attempt to have him start prematurely at QB might very well prove an embarrassment. Aside from that, it's quite possible that Lance would be competing for the job as the #2 backup QB. Of course, Cooper Rush would have something to say about that. We'll see. ;)

Last edited:

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
Jerry and I would be scared to start another guy who might not choke against good teams. I'd rather stick to the known choker and hope a miracle would happen and the defense would do all the scoring.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Breaking his leg and having multiple surgeries got him traded, especially when they had Purdy.

Even JimmyG left for $$$$.

Bad luck in SF.

Our good luck.
He's a scrub QB and he's also injury prone. Perfect for Dallas.

Flamma

Reaction score
Does anyone know what they might do with Lance next year? I highly doubt they're picking up his 5th year option.

krs1bro

Reaction score
I think we have the answer regarding Lance. You have a offensive guru coach like shanahan and for what SF gave up to draft him only to let him go to rival DC. UHMMMM

FVSTONE

Reaction score
Lance was traded in late Aug 2023.

Camp was over.

Also, Dallas has much respect for Rush.

But, he’s no JimmyG, who Lance dominated in the 2022 SF camp.

Remember, Lance was dumped on Big Mike, who didn’t even know about the trade.

Relax haters.

#Lance2024
Tap your heels 3 times my friend....LOL!

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I don't think Dak being here or elsewhere necessarily leads to Lance being the QB. I don't think Lance will ever be a starting caliber NFL QB. I think he or Rush will be gone by week 1 because you can't cry cap issues while at the same time pay 2 backup QBs what we and while also paying a starter what we do. Which is gone between Rush and Lance I don't know, nor do I care because both would (IMO) be horrible FT starting QBs. If Dak is gone (this year or next) I don't think our next QB is currently on our roster.
Probably correct, just most of the fan base is tired of the current situation and are willing at any cost to rid this roster of Dak we are willing to take that chance.
Some like to roll the table for big money and some like to stay on the nickel slots.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
How the heck do you know?
It the great unknown my friend, how would Captain Kirk ever have discovered the universe... :muttley:
There is a strong contingent of Cowboys fan base that is happy, fat and content in just being considered somewhat relevant.

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
He took the QB1 job from JimmyG in the 2022 training camp.

Yes,

That JimmyG.
Him getting the starting job in 2022 had a large part to do with all of the draft capital they gave up to get him and they knew how awful that move would have looked if they never gave him the chance to start. Especially if he was constantly losing the QB1 job to Jimmy G. So they were put in a spot where they had to give Trey Lance a chance to prove himself as QB1.

Imagine if they had never done that and he had never started in a single season for them, just to lose the backup job to Sam Darnold the following year. They have been allowed to recover faster from their mistake because they got Purdy. But their move to trade all they did for Trey Lance could have had a negative impact on them for many seasons if they never got Purdy so soon after doing all they did to get Lance.

Motorola

Reaction score
Does anyone know what they might do with Lance next year? I highly doubt they're picking up his 5th year option.
The Cowboys stated earlier this month they are not going to pick up the 5th-year option.
So after the 2024 is completed Lance will be a free agent.
Depending on his performance this upcoming season (beating out Rush for QB2, or remaining QB3), the Cowboys could try to retain Lance with a new contract.
But he will be able to sign up with any team.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think we have the answer regarding Lance. You have a offensive guru coach like shanahan and for what SF gave up to draft him only to let him go to rival DC. UHMMMM
Yep. You invested three first round picks, which is a jaw-dropping amount of draft capital, to acquire Trey Lance. Then, you get rid of Lance less than (coincidentally) three years later--for only a fourth rounder.

I am patiently waiting to see what untapped potential the 49ers could not pull out of Lance that Jerry Jones sees so clearly. Still, it makes me wonder which trading party may have pulled a fast one on the other? Jones? Or San Francisco?

Flamma

Reaction score
In 2022 the Bears went 3-14. One of their 3 wins came against the 49ers starting Trey Lance.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Yep. You invested three first round picks, which is a jaw-dropping amount of draft capital, to acquire Trey Lance. Then, you get rid of Lance less than (coincidentally) three years later--for only a fourth rounder.

I am patiently waiting to see what untapped potential the 49ers could not pull out of Lance that Jerry Jones sees so clearly. Still, it makes me wonder which trading party may have pulled a fast one on the other? Jones? Or San Francisco?
Yes. The kid has a lot potential and has the skill set to be an elite QB.

The simple answer to your question:

They gave up. They liked Purdy more.

Which makes sense for many reasons.

- Purdy is cheap. Lance is not. Even JimmyG left for $$$$.
- Purdy balled out
- Lance kept getting injured.
- Jerry Jones

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
This Jersey sales "thing" is a bit of a misnomer as players get around 65% of the $$ I believe.

and tbh any QB who starts for the Cowboys for an extended period is going to be up there in Jersey sales.
it is not a minomer. I believe the players make 48.8% of revenue set as salary cap (there is also a salary floor and over all salary floor). the players make 2/3s of Jersey sales (based on licensing fees) that get shared (split between all the players evenly). Just like licensing fees for the rights to air the game, etc. Those that are sold at the stadium (the retail price minus whole sale), those go directly to the owners. the teams buy the merchandise from licenses wholesalers (Nike, etc.) and retail it.
However, there is a catch Dallas is a lone exception, that they are their own licensed whole saler. they have their own sales agents and warhouses, and distributors, etc. you want cowboys related items, you have to buy them from cowboys so they make money as whole saler of Cowboys merchandise as well as selling them directly.

Hadenough

Reaction score
The Joneses think the Cowboys can win the Super Bowl with Dak. They are telling the truth on that statement even though people disagree on this board.
Only an idiot would think you can win a SB with Dak. It's already proven his play drops so dramatically when up against a good team. And he would need to beat 3 good teams in a row while playing like the 25th ranked QB in the league.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes. The kid has a lot potential and has the skill set to be an elite QB.

The simple answer to your question:

They gave up. They liked Purdy more.

Which makes sense for many reasons.

- Purdy is cheap. Lance is not. Even JimmyG left for $$$$.
- Purdy balled out
- Lance kept getting injured.
- Jerry Jones
Brock Purdy cannot be used as an excuse IF San Francisco's coaching staff is capable and competent in maximizing a player's potential and skill set. They succeeded in maximizing Mr. Irrelevant Purdy's potential and skill set. The exact same coaching staff failed to do the same with Trey Lance. Why?

It is a rhetorical question. The next one to three years will substantiate Lance's NFL potential and skill set, whether it is with Dallas or a third (or more) team. I will be watching his progression under the tutelage of different coaches. And will be perfectly happy to admit the 49ers got it all wrong one day IF Lance blossoms into that which they could not cultivate in him.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Everyone knows Lance is there to compete for QB1.
Not everyone. I think Jerry Jones acquired Trey Lance hoping he would be good enough to eventually replace Dak Prescott after his departure from the franchise.

I do not think he will be competing with Prescott though as long as Prescott is on the roster. That would go against Jones' history of supporting quarterbacks. Of course, that would change if Prescott was incapable of getting on the field and Lance performed well enough in his place to remove Prescott's gleam from Jones' eye.