Why not just start Trey Lance?

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Not everyone. I think Jerry Jones acquired Trey Lance hoping he would be good enough to eventually replace Dak Prescott after his departure from the franchise.

I do not think he will be competing with Prescott though as long as Prescott is on the roster. That would go against Jones' history of supporting quarterbacks. Of course, that would change if Prescott was incapable of getting on the field and Lance performed well enough in his place to remove Prescott's gleam from Jones' eye.
If/when Lance starts getting reps with the 1s in camp, we will know.

8)

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
The Cowboys haven't publicly indicated any progress with Lance. He’s going to need a lot of playing time in preseason to see how much he’s progressed, with the first team for at least a half as well if they actually consider him as a viable #1. Come the draft, training camp, etc., we’ll see just how much the team truly considers him as a replacement for Dak if at all. I don’t think Dak is going to be here in two years because of his play in the last three playoff games, but whether it’s Lance who replaces him or some drafted QB is up to how well Lance plays.

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
Trading a 4th for Lance was a low risk high return investment. Dallas should try this often. If it fails, do it again. They have far too little draft capital invested in the most important position on the team.

The problem with the Lance trade is only securing him for one year. Could they negotiated a longer contract as part of the trade? As it stands, Dallas has little time to develop him, little time to evaluate him, and no control over him after one season when he'll be a free agent. This is the real problem with the trade. Not sure what Dallas's strategy is here, or if they even thought it through.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

8)
Would that not be a premature qualification to saddle him with? He got reps with starters while a 49er and started games, so his situation would not be something new having the same set of circumstances as a Cowboy right off the bat. Perhaps a longer evaluation period would be wiser..?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think we have the answer regarding Lance. You have a offensive guru coach like shanahan and for what SF gave up to draft him only to let him go to rival DC. UHMMMM
The Niners decided on Trey Lance as their starter for the 2022 season.
- He started the first 2 games and was injured after 3 passes in the 2nd game.
- While Lance was out for the season, Brock Purdy proved himself.

ghst187

Reaction score
What if he’s incredibly good? There is no reason to believe that, but what if? If you don’t play him you’ll never know. Ever. I don’t think he’ll ever approach what Dak has accomplished in professional football, but I’m at least open minded enough to say it’s worth finding out. Pre-season doesn’t mean anything. Last year Philly had a rookie quarterback (I don’t know his name) that performed very well in pre-season. He sat as the third QB all season long and now the Eagles have signed two other guys to back up Hurts. So pre-season doesn’t mean ****. Play Lance for real, when it counts. It is at least prudent to find out if he can be “that guy”.
Well I agree we need to see him get reps but don’t hold out any hope. He just seems late on throws and doesn’t process the game well. Maybe he gets there but we won’t know without more pt

Kwyn

Reaction score
Everyone knows Lance is there to compete for QB1.
Hmm. I don’t know that.

In fact, I’d like to see him compete for QB2.

If Dak was unable to play for any reason this season, and the team had to go with Rush or Lance, they don’t make the playoffs and it’s bit a question of how few wins they get.

I’m not worried about it either way and I’m on record supporting a rebuild with a new direction at QB, but I don’t think there’s any evidence so far that Lance can be a high quality NFL starter.

Maybe he does something to change that narrative but people just assuming he’s legit are huffing hopium.

Kwyn

Reaction score

8)
Why does it matter what group it’s with?

If he’s in with the backups, competing against backups, we would still get the evidence we need.

If he lights it up against second team and practice squad defenses in the pre-season, then great. If he doesn’t, then giving him reps with starters isn’t going to change anything.

Blue&Silver

Reaction score
Dak is gone, the writing is on the wall and before you say he gives us the best chance to win this year, I agree, he is going to win more meaningless regular season games and if this team is fortunate to make the playoffs he isn't going to take us to a superbowl, that's not going to happen with this current team regardless and I think most everyone agrees with that take.

So starting Dak net's you nothing and actually hurts the 25 draft stock. Give Lance a true year of evaluation, the worst that can happen is the team goes 0-17 has the top pick or top five pick and free of Dak's cap hit. Or start Dak, win a few games, know nothing about Lance's ability and end up with a middle to late round first.
Why not start Lance. I know our opponents recommend that to.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Trading a 4th for Lance was a low risk high return investment. Dallas should try this often. If it fails, do it again. They have far too little draft capital invested in the most important position on the team.

The problem with the Lance trade is only securing him for one year. Could they negotiated a longer contract as part of the trade? As it stands, Dallas has little time to develop him, little time to evaluate him, and no control over him after one season when he'll be a free agent. This is the real problem with the trade. Not sure what Dallas's strategy is here, or if they even thought it through.
Likely one of the reasons Dak doesn’t have a new contract.

Big Mike is probably still butt hurt from the Lance trade.

Jerry didn’t even tell him about it.

Or Dak. 8/

Fans want to believe Lance is there to run the scout team.

If the kid can stay healthy, we could be set at QB1 for a decade.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Why does it matter what group it’s with?

If he’s in with the backups, competing against backups, we would still get the evidence we need.

If he lights it up against second team and practice squad defenses in the pre-season, then great. If he doesn’t, then giving him reps with starters isn’t going to change anything.
Because Dak isn’t the favored son anymore in Jerry’s eyes.

Dak humiliated Jerry in front of millions.

Jerry “man cried” on TV.

Now he has kid wonder playing QB.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Niners decided on Trey Lance as their starter for the 2022 season.
- He started the first 2 games and was injured after 3 passes in the 2nd game.
- While Lance was out for the season, Brock Purdy proved himself.
Interesting how that is almost exactly the same thing that happened to Dak/Tony. Let's hope trey can "go on to another team".

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
Why not just start Lance? Well, the six guys on here would ruin every thread with hot takes like this, "dak would have scored 30 points in that win. dak didn't get a good offensive line, dak didn't have a good runner like that. The defense did play hard like that for dak. The coaches didn't dumb the offense down enough for dak." blah blah, blah..

Kwyn

Reaction score
Because Dak isn’t the favored son anymore in Jerry’s eyes.

Dak humiliated Jerry in front of millions.

Jerry “man cried” on TV.

Now he has kid wonder playing QB.
I have no idea what that has to do with my comment. Did you mean to reply to me?