Why not trade for a WR before the draft

stiletto

Reaction score
Replace Dez’s production?
Sorry. I thought the goal was to improve.
Didn’t Dak throw for about 200 yards or less per game last year...

Well duh but their logic was we already replaced Dez' production with Hurns and don't have to pay so much plus we can probably get better by drafting younger guys who can run a route tree...simple logic to me.

superonyx

Reaction score
Well duh but their logic was we already replaced Dez' production with Hurns and don't have to pay so much plus we can probably get better by drafting younger guys who can run a route tree...simple logic to me.
Wait? You were saying we don’t have a need at WR because Hurns replaced Dez’s production, now you say we can draft a WR....now you are contradicting your first statement....so are you agreeing with me now?

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
BZ you have been around a long time, infact as long as I have....I disagree with you...its WR all the way in the 1st....whether that's a trade up or down.

Panic move, and probably a reach, so I won't be surprised if Jerry does it. Productive receivers are found throughout the draft every year, while too many first round "#1 receivers" just end up being busts.

stiletto

Reaction score
Wait? You were saying we don’t have a need at WR because Hurns replaced Dez’s production, now you say we can draft a WR....now you are contradicting your first statement....so are you agreeing with me now?

No I am not. I am saying that I think that is the "organization's" thought. I believe they think Hurns will replace Dez's production (cheaper/less drama) and they'll just try to get better at the position in the draft. That's what I think their logic is. That's what I meant.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
which team would love to give away their better WR for a gamble?
There is no glaring hole at WR. You have
Hurns
T Will
Beasley
Switzer
Thompson
Brown
WR is not a need. Hurns has replaced Dez. In this offense with this QB you don’t need a “Number 1” WR. You need a number 1 LG!

They don't need another veteran. They are in the perfect position to draft WRs.

Hurns will be the #1 WR in 2018 and everyone else will compete for snaps at #2 and #3 including the draft pick(s).

Ideally the early pick at WR will be the #1 in 2019. Hurns will be the #2. TWill and Beasley will likely be gone. Thompson is only signed for 2018. The remaining young players will compete for #3 and #4. They might even draft another WR in 2019.

blueblood70

Reaction score
trade for vet really? if we wanted to stay with a vet we would have offered Dez a reduced contract...there are no other Vet #1 WR on the market and to force one you'd have to pull a Roy Williams or Galloway trade and thats stupid..I believe dez would have bounced back, they decided it was time to go but if they wanted him rumor has it dez was prepared to take a pay cut but one wasn't even offered..

point Cowboys have plan and will draft a few WR one higher in draft and another late and further develop Brown and the other guys on this roster..

we have Hurns that can be a good enough 1 to bridge the gap and than Twill taking some snaps at 1 it will be a WR by Committee and less predictable on who the primary target actually is..

Thompson, Switzer, and Bease all slot type Dak friendly guys that will get open quick and maybe Thompson can take the top off a D at times..

Noah Brown might be able to help out as well..

we are fine this Running offense doesn't need a Pro Bowl WR at this point, until Dak figures out how to read defenses earlier and trust the play and throw a guy open, its not necessary to have one great WR.. less pressure on him at this point..

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
SMH.....man this list is pitiful. Sorry. And they may overachieve and look good next season.....I don't care about labels. I don't care about "#1 receivers". I just want playmakers and I don't see many playmakers if any. The plan was to IMPROVE last season receiving core. Hurns replacing Brice Butler...I understood. But now Thompson replacing Butler and Hurns replacing Dez? We didn't improve this core.

All points well made, good sir! That list is about as mediocre as a mediocre can be. We'll look to the draft to save us if there's any saving to be had. I'll be hoping for the best, while fearing the worst but then, that's what makes the draft so interesting, I guess.

From to Moore to Sutton to Ridley, it'll surely be a smorgasbord of possibilities to be had. I'm personally hoping for either Moore or Sutton with Ridley coming in a very close third. If that's not enough, like Stephen said, taking 2 receivers could easily be within the realm of possibilities. Let's just hope we hit the biggest jackpot of them all. That'd be sweet.

Last edited:

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
All points well made, good sir! That list is about as mediocre as a mediocre can be. We'll look to the draft to save us if there's any saving to be had. I'm hoping for the best while fearing the worst but that's what makes the draft so interesting, I guess. From Ridley to Moore to Sutton, it'll surely be a smorgasbord of possibilities to be had. I'm personally hoping for either Moore or Sutton with Ridley coming in a close third. If that's not enough, like Stephen said, taking 2 receivers could and would be within the realm of possibilities. Let's just hope we hit the jackpot of them all, eh?
I hope we find the guy who ends up being better than we thought. No one saw Michael Thomas being this good or Antonio Brown.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No I am not. I am saying that I think that is the "organization's" thought. I believe they think Hurns will replace Dez's production (cheaper/less drama) and they'll just try to get better at the position in the draft. That's what I think their logic is. That's what I meant.

I don't think they are planning on one player replacing Dez's production. I think the plan is to spread the ball around more like they did in 2016 so that everyone will pick up the mantle.

CowboyChris

Reaction score
I really hate going into the draft with such a glaring hole at WR, why not trade for a vet WR before the draft? we have 10 freakin picks....maybe someone like Martavious Bryant for a 3rd or 4th? lol now that I think of that....we could just hand him the 88.

No seriously, didn't NE send a 1st rounder to NO for Cooks last year?

We can still draft a WR somewhere in the draft, there is a lot of value in this years WR class
Raiders had my thoughts in mind and for a 3rd rounder.

tico

Reaction score
I would be interested in Josh Gordan. The Browns are stacked at WRs.. he's still under Rookie contract also