Why not trade for a WR before the draft

AmericanCowboy

Reaction score
Honestly a trade that makes sense would be to try and get one of the WRs who disappointed from last years rookie class at a discounted rate.

John Ross for a 4th
Curtis Samuel for a 5th.

I doubt those teams have given up on them already but you never know.

CapnB

Reaction score
Yeah, you can't fix every hole in one offseason due to money. You almost have to roll the dice in one or more areas. Last year we did with the secondary and it wasn't terrible. Maybe they will roll the dice with the receivers this year. If you're asking me about the draft, I say we draft a LB with the first pick to support the young secondary. Everyone counts on PROgression but no one ever thinks about REgression which does happen every year. People saw that last year with all the proclamations about what Dak would be.

Yeah we had a couple of 2016 rooks regress in 2017 in my opinion. Maliek Collins and Anthony Brown both didnt live up to their rookie play to go along with Dak.

805BoysInBlue

Reaction score
WR isn’t at the top of the list of needs for the team. If a good one were available, great. But adding another middling guy to our current group won’t help much anyway.

We were fortunate that Hurns was available.
Exactly

blindzebra

Reaction score
I couldn't agree with you more....this team has a way of telegraphing their every move....the whole NFL knows we need a WR, OG, LB....which will probably be our first 3 picks in some order.
LOL, every team knows what the other team's needs are. You think when a team trades up into the top 2 or 3 picks other teams start thinking that they must be drafting a kicker? If they didn't why do you see teams trading in front of other teams for a player?

CowboyChris

Reaction score
LOL, every team knows what the other team's needs are. You think when a team trades up into the top 2 or 3 picks other teams start thinking that they must be drafting a kicker? If they didn't why do you see teams trading in front of other teams for a player?
To some extent you are right, your analogy is weak though.... its almost a given a team that trades in the top 2 or 3 is after a QB....ie Jets this year with Buffalo still to come.

teams outside of the top 10, its a little more difficult to predict their needs or wants, many of them can go in a lot of directions, then you get to #19, a team that foolishly cuts their #1 WR a week before the draft....thats the biggest bullseye you will ever see.

in summary all teams have needs, the better ones can go BPA, unfortunately that's isn't us this year.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
if its WR,give me Ridley or Sutton.
Please and Thank You.

Eric, thats exactly why he made this thread in the first place. Is so we dont have to waste our 1st rounder on a WR.

Spending a 1st on Sutton is going to make me sick, and I have a feeling that's what we are going to do.

blindzebra

Reaction score
To some extent you are right, your analogy is weak though.... its almost a given a team that trades in the top 2 or 3 is after a QB....ie Jets this year with Buffalo still to come.

teams outside of the top 10, its a little more difficult to predict their needs or wants, many of them can go in a lot of directions, then you get to #19, a team that foolishly cuts their #1 WR a week before the draft....thats the biggest bullseye you will ever see.

in summary all teams have needs, the better ones can go BPA, unfortunately that's isn't us this year.
LOL, did I sleep through the draft? The pick at 19, if we even pick at 19, will not be a WR. This thing is in Dallas, Jerry will be making a move either up if James, Smith or Edmunds is in the 13-16 range, or down to take a guard.

cowboyec

Reaction score
Eric, thats exactly why he made this thread in the first place. Is so we dont have to waste our 1st rounder on a WR.

Spending a 1st on Sutton is going to make me sick, and I have a feeling that's what we are going to do.
Q......what if he hits?
I know.
I know.
1st Rd WRs over the last 3 drafts have not lived upto it.
BUT WHAT IF HE HITS?
you know it.
I know it.
sooner or later....one of these guys will pan out....WHY NOT HIM?

CowboyChris

Reaction score
LOL, did I sleep through the draft? The pick at 19, if we even pick at 19, will not be a WR. This thing is in Dallas, Jerry will be making a move either up if James, Smith or Edmunds is in the 13-16 range, or down to take a guard.
BZ you have been around a long time, infact as long as I have....I disagree with you...its WR all the way in the 1st....whether that's a trade up or down.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I really hate going into the draft with such a glaring hole at WR, why not trade for a vet WR before the draft? we have 10 freakin picks....maybe someone like Martavious Bryant for a 3rd or 4th? lol now that I think of that....we could just hand him the 88.

No seriously, didn't NE send a 1st rounder to NO for Cooks last year?

We can still draft a WR somewhere in the draft, there is a lot of value in this years WR class

Why would we take on another Bryant that is surrounded by drama, and one that has been suspended for violation of the substance abuse policy to boot? TWICE.

The fact is, to trade for a receiver that is substantially better than we have would cost more than a 3rd or 4th round pick. And if 3rd to 4th round pick value is what we are looking for, why not draft a WR in the 3rd or 4th round and save a lot of money and have the player tied to a new contract?

glimmerman

Reaction score
Waiting for draft and June 1st cuts. We will get plenty of WR competition. Dak will mesh with someone and that will be his #1 WR and that may be someone we don’t expect

blindzebra

Reaction score
BZ you have been around a long time, infact as long as I have....I disagree with you...its WR all the way in the 1st....whether that's a trade up or down.
Minnesota's top 2 WRs are an UDFA and a 5th round pick and both blew Dez' production out of the water. We are moving away from the Air Coryell into a spread RPO scheme. We don't need an elite #1 WR in that style of offense, we need 4 or 5 guys that can get open quick. Hurns, Beasley, Switzer, and even Williams do that pretty well.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
There is no glaring hole at WR. You have
Hurns
T Will
Beasley
Switzer
Thompson
Brown
WR is not a need. Hurns has replaced Dez. In this offense with this QB you don’t need a “Number 1” WR. You need a number 1 LG!

Not trying to be too intrusive,
but did you fall over frequently as a young child, and hit your head repeatedly on the coffee table?

Chrispierce

Reaction score
I’d rather not for sake of desperation. Unless it’s the right man they want,and is worth trading for. That’s what’s most important right now...aquiring the best players,and fit for a team. Yes they’ll suffer a bit with this group,and a rookie WR drafted. But so what,and who cares? I bet it will also do for them,what it did for the secondary. Infused a youthful active spirit,into a boring dying unit,even while guys were learning on the fly. Go ahead and make some mistakes...like they weren’t at rock bottom last year already? Loool I only see upside in moving forward,even if solely on draft choices alone.

USMarineVet

Reaction score
Its all about the money bro's. Rookie WR is going to be way cheaper than any vet in a trade thats worth having.

Agreed. Draft a WR and maintain the cap space we're going to have over the next two years.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Let's stay away from WRs last name Bryant for a lil bit. This team doesn't even trade Pro Bowlers w/ a decent market...let alone trade for player of note (sorry Jamiaze).

More focused on this FO picking th right WR.

superonyx

Reaction score
Tyron Smith + Zeke for all 16 games = success. Allen Hurns can replace 99% of Dez's production, it is proven with less of a QB in Blake Bortles

Dez Bryant last 3 seasons:
38 games
150 - 2,035 17 TD's
4 games of 100+ yards

Allen Hurns last 3 seasons:
36 games
138 - 1,992 15 TD's
6 games of 100+ yards

Dont cry about Dez...get Tyron Smith healty, Zeke on the field EVERY game and some upgrades on D and this team will function as good as any.. .watch...
Replace Dez’s production?
Sorry. I thought the goal was to improve.
Didn’t Dak throw for about 200 yards or less per game last year...