Why not try the 70 yarder?

Awakened

the Dude abides
Reaction score
I agree. Try the field goal. He probably hits 1 out of 4 from 70 yards out. Maybe even 1 out of 3.

THEHEREAFTER

Reaction score
I realize how unlikely it was.

But we've seen two weeks in a row that Dak can't throw a ball 55 yards into the end zone. Came up woefully short both times.

So why not see if Maher can catch a line drive perfectly flush indoors?

To me, it's the most likely unlikely option there.
So you don't think Dak is capable of throwing a football 55 yards? Seriously? No mention of the free blitzer closing in forcing a way early disrupted throw?

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

But we've seen two weeks in a row that Dak can't throw a ball 55 yards into the end zone. Came up woefully short both times.

ya poor Dak pumped it back to the tilt and didn't break 40 yards.....kick the fg baby!!!!!

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
Why not...…..we also should have gone for the 4 and 2 a bit earlier.

No guts, no glory.
Typical Garrett.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
It’s an interesting question, maybe it’s not 70 yards but there is some point where the chances of kicking an NFL record field goal is about the same as converting a Hail Mary. 67?
Also Dak’s arm is pretty average but I’m fairly sure he and just about every QB can reach the end zone from there. Either having to rush, possibly getting hit as he threw, or both affected him. It was an excellent blitz.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

The reason he came up so short yesterday was really because he panicked a little when the Saints blitzed. He ended up trying to throw the ball way too quickly, before receivers could get downfield, and tried to compensate by getting a lot of air under the ball to give them time to run under it. The result was he couldn't get that much air under the ball and still get the distance he needed.

jnday

Reaction score

All I have seen about Maher not being replaced was due to his long range ability. The team took his long range ability over accuracy from another kicker. It really doesn’t make sense not to try the FG if Maher truly has great long range. The chances of completing a Hail Mary was almost 0% in the situation.

links18

Reaction score
I'd have tried the FG. Not likely, but more likely than a Hail Mary. But its Garrett, so. Would have been better to have not gotten a penalty on the punt and for Dak to have not piroueteted into another back breaking sack, but such is life.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

both the hail mary and kick have the same chance...probably 70 yarder, less of a chance....no one has ever done it or attempted (I think)

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why not...…..we also should have gone for the 4 and 2 a bit earlier.

No guts, no glory.
Typical Garrett.

Name one coach that would have gone for a 70 yard FG.

Of course, if he had gone for the 70 yard FG and it came up 5-10 yards short people would have talked about him being an idiot for trying to kick a FG when he knew it wasn't possible. It doesn't take guts to go for something you know is impossible. That would just be delusional.

By the way, do you think going for it on 4th and 1 on the Cowboys end of the field showed no guts? Seemed like a pretty ballsy move.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
We all know that do we? I seem to recall a game against Pittsburgh and against the Commanders this year where he threw perfect deep balls. But hey. What do I know.
He was hit on the one last night, so you can't really judge that much, but throwing a deep ball and throwing a hail mary are very different. The latter is thrown at a much different angle.

Swanny

Reaction score
Odds of getting a defensive flag downfield are better than hitting a 70 yarder.
Not on a Hail Mary but on any other play yes. I would have sent the kicker out myself but neither option was going to be successful so it really doesn't matter

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Why make things up ? Dak has thrown the ball 55 yards before. You have to be able to get your feet set. He was falling away from a defender.
Hail Mary throws are not just your standard deep ball. The throws are not the same.

But last night's throw is not a good example due to the pressure/hit.

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score

While I agree that a 70 yd FG would stand about as much chance as a Hail Mary there, I disagree that Dak can't throw the ball 55 yds. He threw that far on the 51 yd TD to smith a couple games back (he was probably 7 yds behind the LOS when he threw the ball and hit him perfectly in stride near the goal line...going strictly on memory here, but that's how I remember the play). Dak got plastered right as he was making that throw yesterday and had to throw high to get over the defender that was right on top of him as he was throwing.
70 yds is highly doubtful, but I might have given him that shot. We can gripe all day about Maher's accuracy, but nobody can dispute his leg strength.

Bigtex67

Reaction score
It was a darn shame the game came down to either play, a 70 yarder or a hail Mary! Offensively, the Cowboys stunk last night. The defense only gave up 12 points. The fact we couldn't score more the 10 is really concerning. I realize it's early, but you don't see NE failing to score whenever they need to. The Cowboys just aren't there yet.

Hang on there... NE only scored 9 offensive points yesterday......We scored 10.....

Proof

Reaction score
It was a darn shame the game came down to either play, a 70 yarder or a hail Mary! Offensively, the Cowboys stunk last night. The defense only gave up 12 points. The fact we couldn't score more the 10 is really concerning. I realize it's early, but you don't see NE failing to score whenever they need to. The Cowboys just aren't there yet.

I think it’s more of a shame that Amari got hit with two questionably offensive PI calls on what could’ve been. Difference making plays