Why not try the 70 yarder?

droopdog7

Reaction score
As minuscule as they both are, chances of reception or PI far outweigh a 70-yard fog.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
If they just took a knee with the remaining possession, the outcome would not have changed and Tyron Smith would not have been injured.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
All I have seen about Maher not being replaced was due to his long range ability. The team took his long range ability over accuracy from another kicker. It really doesn’t make sense not to try the FG if Maher truly has great long range. The chances of completing a Hail Mary was almost 0% in the situation.

I have seen several hail Mary passes, odds are slim but still have seen them completed, I have never seen a 70 yard FG

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
While I would have preferred a down field defensive penalty, Maher has drilled a 62 yarder before.

With a little more leg, who knows.... It would be kind of cool for this franchise to own that record.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
It was a darn shame the game came down to either play, a 70 yarder or a hail Mary! Offensively, the Cowboys stunk last night. The defense only gave up 12 points. The fact we couldn't score more the 10 is really concerning. I realize it's early, but you don't see NE failing to score whenever they need to. The Cowboys just aren't there yet.
Uh, the Patriots offense only scored 6 points. The special teams contributed 10 points.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Never been a 70 yard field goal kicked. There have been Hail Mary's caught. Dak didn't have time to throw. The receivers didn't even have time to get down there to catch it anyway. Great defensive play by New Orleans.

Jeffkills

Reaction score
I was screaming at my TV for that entire sequence...

Get a new kicker..

We should at least have the ability to attempt a 70 YD kick... Nobody ever draws PI off Hail Marys....

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I didn't understand why at 1:30 left in the game why Dak was even given the option to throw short and medium, only should have been throwing as deep as he can. Coaching again decided to be stupid and go for threshold field goal range, F that get it down inside the 20.
Should've been throwing intermediate at the sidelines.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Let's see. Has a hail mary ever worked in the NFL? Yes, sometimes it hits the player in the hands and sometimes it bounces there. By the way, the first one was closer to being caught by Cooper than any of the defenders....he jumped too soon. You're also hoping some defender gets too agressive and you get a pass interference call, which gives you a free kick from there.

On the other hand, has any kicker in the history of the NFL ever kicked a 70 yard FG? Ummmm....nope, never!

I would imagine no one has ever seen Maher even get close to a 70 yarder....so to me it made perfect sense, no matter how unlikely to go with the pass.
And the notion that Dak can't throw it that far? Ludicrous....the blitz got to him as he was throwing. He has plenty of arm for it.

I'm going to bet that no one in the history of the NFL has ever even tried a 70 yard FG.

Vandyr

Reaction score
Higher likelihood you’d get a defensive penalty on a deep passing play than make a 70 yard fg.

On a hail mary "last play of the game pass" there's literally zero chance you'll get a penalty. I've seen dudes get tackled in the end zone before the ball arrives, choke holds, you name it. Never called.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
Let's see. Has a hail mary ever worked in the NFL? Yes, sometimes it hits the player in the hands and sometimes it bounces there. By the way, the first one was closer to being caught by Cooper than any of the defenders....he jumped too soon. You're also hoping some defender gets too agressive and you get a pass interference call, which gives you a free kick from there.

On the other hand, has any kicker in the history of the NFL ever kicked a 70 yard FG? Ummmm....nope, never!

I would imagine no one has ever seen Maher even get close to a 70 yarder....so to me it made perfect sense, no matter how unlikely to go with the pass.
And the notion that Dak can't throw it that far? Ludicrous....the blitz got to him as he was throwing. He has plenty of arm for it.

I'm going to bet that no one in the history of the NFL has ever even tried a 70 yard FG.
You would lose that one... legendary strong leg kicker Sebastian Janikowski once gave it a shot from 76. As you might have guessed 1) it was in Denver and 2) he missed by a (relative) mile.