Why Oxnard

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Tom Landry’s Cowboys held camp in Thousand Oaks at California Lutheran College from 1963-1989.

Prior to that, the Cowboys held their training camps in Northern Michigan College in Marquette, Michigan in 1962.

In 1961, the Cowboys were again up north but at St. Olaf College in Northfield, Minnesota.

The first Cowboys camp was held in a little town in Oregon called Forest Grove at Pacific University.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
History would support the Cowboys went to cooler weather venues for Training Camp to avoid the heat in Texas.

The Cowboys even avoided scheduling home games in September to avoid the heat at the Cotton Bowl and Texas Stadium. We still usually don’t play at home to open the season with more road than home games in September.

However Jimmy thought the heat could be an advantage and begin Training Camps in Texas. It was often thought playing in Texas Stadium was a disadvantage for opponents and why we placed visiting teams bench in the sun.

The elements definitely appeared to be a home field advantage. Playing in smoldering field temperatures often over a 100 degrees was grueling.

Unfortunately we lost that when moving into an air conditioned stadium and we have never came close to the 67% winning percentage we enjoyed over 37 years at Texas Stadium. The smoldering heat also didn’t encourage visiting fans to attend.

Last edited:

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Like many said, cooler temperatures. It may also be to take the players away from their normal, every day environment so they have fewer every day distractions and are more focused on training camp.

birdwells1

Reaction score
While weather is a major factor, one of the big reasons Jerry does it is to maintain and grow Cowboys popularity in California.

That's why the Cowboys always have a ton of fans at the 49ers and other California team games.

This is why it's hard to separate GM Jerry from owner Jerry.

birdwells1

Reaction score
Jimmy did want his teams in great condition, but he also probably went overboard with it.
There is no need to be brutal slave driver , you can achieve same results with a smarter safer approach.
Why haven't we achieved the same results since?

birdwells1

Reaction score
Its not going anywhere,, all player voted it in and owners agreed to it.
Thank the players CBA and agent for reduced training, and the lawsuits, thats what Goodell is there for,, he is the owners bought and payed for Lawyer/rep.
They were going to Camp Cupcake before the last league contract and have been going since. To try to place blame on the players for having camp in Oxnard is not true.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Why haven't we achieved the same results since?
WHY? Because Jimmy left, Norv left, wandstant left.

The reason Jimmys team was so successful was not due to any one thing he did, but many things that he did, all in combination.
Jimmy was like a stern Dad, loving but very demanding, and his kids/players all wanted to please him.
Even if they won a game, but played sloppy, Jimmy would get angry about the sloppy play, so the players came to know they had to
play their best every game, even when playing weak teams, that they could coast and still beat.

Jimmy preached conditioning, he would say the players in the best condition were the ones that were going to win each game.

His tough camps which I approve of could not be done today like he did them. And I am not a fan of going to Calif, which I think even landry did.
I think they should stay here and adjust their minds to the heat.
But as for practicing or playing in it, a coach needs to be smart and take some safety precautions.

Jimmy also would not hesitate to cut players, or coaches, to make a statement or improve the team.
He brought in norv later, he didnt start with him, and same for wandstant.

there were many many things jimmy did, that led to the SB team Dallas had briefly, He had total power, and was in a good situation.
and he made all the right moves, drafted well , traded well, assembled good staff's, not his buddies lol, and he coached well.

Jimmy did have 2 flaws, one was his ego, which was as big as jerry's, and he was quick to anger, and didnt cool down quickly.
That is why he left lol, jerry stepped on his ego, jimmy got mad and left.
Jimmy even says now jerry apologized, about the 500 coaches remark, but Jimmy said he wasnt coming back.
He blew a golden opportunity to win 3-5 SB's in a row, due to his ego, and his temper lol.

birdwells1

Reaction score
WHY? Because Jimmy left, Norv left, wandstant left.

The reason Jimmys team was so successful was not due to any one thing he did, but many things that he did, all in combination.
Jimmy was like a stern Dad, loving but very demanding, and his kids/players all wanted to please him.
Even if they won a game, but played sloppy, Jimmy would get angry about the sloppy play, so the players came to know they had to
play their best every game, even when playing weak teams, that they could coast and still beat.

Jimmy preached conditioning, he would say the players in the best condition were the ones that were going to win each game.

His tough camps which I approve of could not be done today like he did them. And I am not a fan of going to Calif, which I think even landry did.
I think they should stay here and adjust their minds to the heat.
But as for practicing or playing in it, a coach needs to be smart and take some safety precautions.

Jimmy also would not hesitate to cut players, or coaches, to make a statement or improve the team.
He brought in norv later, he didnt start with him, and same for wandstant.

there were many many things jimmy did, that led to the SB team Dallas had briefly, He had total power, and was in a good situation.
and he made all the right moves, drafted well , traded well, assembled good staff's, not his buddies lol, and he coached well.

Jimmy did have 2 flaws, one was his ego, which was as big as jerry's, and he was quick to anger, and didnt cool down quickly.
That is why he left lol, jerry stepped on his ego, jimmy got mad and left.
Jimmy even says now jerry apologized, about the 500 coaches remark, but Jimmy said he wasnt coming back.
He blew a golden opportunity to win 3-5 SB's in a row, due to his ego, and his temper lol.

You were doing good until you got to the part where you said that it was Jimmy's fault for him leaving. If I won 2 sbs in a row I'd think I was the end all be all to, great coaches have egos.

IT WAS THE OWNERS EGO THAT CAUSED THE BREAKUP. No revisionist history will change that.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
You were doing good until you got to the part where you said that it was Jimmy's fault for him leaving. If I won 2 sbs in a row I'd think I was the end all be all to, great coaches have egos.

IT WAS THE OWNERS EGO THAT CAUSED THE BREAKUP. No revisionist history will change that.
Well I have to disagree, I saw jimmy on a show and he told the story, he said he got in his car and left, and wasnt coming back.
All because of what jerry said when he was drunk, and jerry even apologized the next day.
But jimmy had such a temper he was still fuming and didnt want a apology.

And sure jerry had done a bunch of things that irritated jimmy before this, but no boss is perfect lol,
Jimmy should have sucked it up and went until he lost a SB then leave.

JImmy's temper and ego put him in his car to leave dallas.
He also said when he did it he didnt think about his players, until they made comments to him later on how it hurt them
that he left so suddenly when they were on verge of a dynasty. They felt like he deserted them.