CFZ Why Practice is more important than pre-season games

kskboys

Reaction score
The only problem is that live action isn’t against starting NFL caliber talent.

Are we more interested for example if a CB can cover a starting WR or one who might not make the team probably a backup or practice squad guy at best.
No, Greg, we're interested in watching if he has the lateral agility and burst to cover a starting WR. That can be assessed. That is much harder to assess in practice.

And yes, a ton of the action is against NFL caliber talent.

kskboys

Reaction score
Not sure what you mean. I coached in New Jersey.
Non district games don't count in the standings. They are, in essence, preseason games. They are games to get you ready for the games that count.

kskboys

Reaction score
Not sure about other states but Louisiana high school sports does not take losses for granted. Our power ranking system drives teams to win games, non-district and district both.

A percentage of a point can mean the difference between getting seeded as a home or away team in the first round if you are hanging around the middle of the bracket. The higher power ranking of two lower seed winning upsets in the same bracket means the difference between traveling and playing at home in the next round. Etc.

I guess what I am saying is Louisiana high school does not treat any portion of their regular seasons like 50% of NBA teams usually do, lol.
So, they mean a little. However, they are still more for practice than anything. They are games to get you ready for the season.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
No, Greg, we're interested in watching if he has the lateral agility and burst to cover a starting WR. That can be assessed. That is much harder to assess in practice.

And yes, a ton of the action is against NFL caliber talent.
I hear ya but if they aren’t covering a starting WR in the preseason game how do you assess like you would in a practice against a starter?

The assessment or evaluation can’t be the same. K, I think it was at one time when starters played in preseason . Now, I’m not as sure.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Not sure about other states but Louisiana high school sports does not take losses for granted. Our power ranking system drives teams to win games, non-district and district both.

A percentage of a point can mean the difference between getting seeded as a home or away team in the first round if you are hanging around the middle of the bracket. The higher power ranking of two lower seed winning upsets in the same bracket means the difference between traveling and playing at home in the next round. Etc.

I guess what I am saying is Louisiana high school does not treat any portion of their regular seasons like 50% of NBA teams usually do, lol.
That said non district games in Texas High School don’t count towards winning the district which determines playoff positioning . So in that effect they are similar while still counting in overall record.

But they certainly factor into state rankings and bragging rights as there are some major matchups in non district games as they want to test themselves especially if they are in a weaker district.

kskboys

Reaction score
I hear ya but if they aren’t covering a starting WR in the preseason game how do you assess like you would in a practice against a starter?

The assessment or evaluation can’t be the same. K, I think it was at one time when starters played in preseason . Now, I’m not as sure.
To repeat: You watch for lateral agility and burst. Those are the two biggies in a CB. Unfortunately, Jerry wouldn't know them if they bit him, letting good CB's go to keep guys who are only tall and fast, but can't play.

Just because you're rooting for an org that can't evaluate from preseason play doesn't mean other orgs can't!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(You have to admit, that was funny!!)

kskboys

Reaction score
That said non district games in Texas High School don’t count towards winning the district which determines playoff positioning . So in that effect they are similar while still counting in overall record.

But they certainly factor into state rankings and bragging rights as there are some major matchups in non district games as they want to test themselves especially if they are in a weaker district.
And state ranking are irrelevant!!!!!!!!!!!! Bragging rights? OK, that's one!!!!!

quickccc

Reaction score
The only problem is that live action isn’t against starting NFL caliber talent.

Are we more interested for example if a CB can cover a starting WR or one who might not make the team probably a backup or practice squad guy at best.
Depending upon the teams and coaches, it could be a chance your backup and developmental guys could go against starters very early on in
the preseason game (if it's just for just one drive) . before those starters are immediately replaced.
We can only go with what's available to us.

A least that CB has had an early start with trying to cover starting WRs in camp, so its not like we haven't seen any indication or glimpses at all of his abilities.

Now what is gonna happen when NFL eventually decides to totally do away with all live action preseason games ..period?

StarOfGlory

Reaction score
Non district games don't count in the standings. They are, in essence, preseason games. They are games to get you ready for the games that count.
We didn't have that. We went right into the season, and all games count in the power rankings.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Depending upon the teams and coaches, it could be a chance your backup and developmental guys could go against starters very early on in
the preseason game (if it's just for just one drive) . before those starters are immediately replaced.

A least that CB has had an early start with trying to cover starting WRs in camp, so its not like we haven't seen any indication or glimpses at all of his abilities.

Now what is gonna happen when NFL eventually decides to totally do away with all live action preseason games ..period?
Good question but it’s not a concern to me since starters mostly aren’t playing anyway.

I believe most of these evaluations and assessments are made in Training Camp, their scrimmages and practices.

Fans don’t see those so they want to see them in preseason games .

Diehardblues

Reaction score
And state ranking are irrelevant!!!!!!!!!!!! Bragging rights? OK, that's one!!!!!
They might be to some but I promise you being from one of those schools who are or who have been ranked being a state powerhouse it is a big deal. And it’s a big deal to those kids and coaching staff.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I think the greatest value of preseason games is:
  1. Showcase marginal players you don’t have room for, even vets, and try to trade them for something to a team that doesn’t want to outbid some other team.
  2. Helps all GMs and personnel men to see how other players look in preseason to get a head start on churning the bottom of the roster.
But I agree that most vets don’t need the preseason game Unless it’s a veteran who missed camp due to injury or holdout and either has something to prove or wants to knock the rust off. Also, if some positions are not settled yet, then those vets play.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

I’d totally agree if they are going up against starters instead of usually Jags now in preseason.

It hasn’t always been this way. We actually used to see our new guys go up against the 1st team or play with them.

We are going to see some of our new guys but not against 1st teams. I’d argue it could present a false sense.

If you go up against the B and C team you should look better is my point. I’m not sure that’s the true assessment we need . I’m not saying great evaluators can’t use it.

I’m not a good enough talent evaluator to measure a Rookie against the 2nd and 3rd teams. I need to see what he can do against the 1st team.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
They have absolutely gutted NFL practices. Non rotation players get basically no practice snaps outside of scout team once the season starts. There is no NFL affiliated minor league.

If we get rid of preseason, how are all the backups going to get a chance to develop?

Einstein

Reaction score
Bob, you know as well as I do that the level of the players in HS and even college are NOT at that of the NFL players. Best athlete wins at those levels more often than not; in the NFL they are all the best athlete.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I’ve always found it interesting that neither college nor high school football requires pre-season games to prepare for their regular season start. In fact, on college and HS campuses right now all across our country, teams are preparing for their first regular season game the old fashioned way- in regular practices. Some HS’s will have one controlled scrimmage. But College football starts in 3 weeks without a single ps game.

Let me make clear, I don’t have a problem with our fans who love PS games. I get it- it’s football and we’ve all waited a half a year to see some kind of pigskin play. if you enjoy PS games, keep enjoying them because the owners fight tooth and nail to keep them for cash purposes. They aren’t going anywhere.

But I have evolved to the point where I would never play a single starter even one down in a meaningless pre-season game. Here are my reasons:
  • Practices, not PS games are where teams really prepare for the games that matter.New offensive and defensive wrinkles and systems are not perfected in a PS game. It’s in practice.
    • PS games have no game planning, the absolute most vanilla of offensive plays and defensive alignments are called. Nothing big from the playbook is rolled out in PS games.
    • Opponents in PS games also usually only use their most vanilla play calls and don’t care who wins.
  • PS games should be used to decide roster spots.
  • PS games can showcase the potential of rookies or backups and how they handle competitive situations.
  • PS games can decide kicker, punter, backup QB and many other (mostly backup) positions.
  • Practice is where teams prepare for the real regular season games each week. That’s where the coaches game plan, learn about players strengths and weaknesses, etc.
  • In today’s NFL with the veterans who are on big contracts in the cap era, it makes zero sense to risk a huge portion of your cap space in a meaningless pre-season game.
As I said at the beginning- IMO if college and HS football don’t need pre-season games to get ready for the regular season, NFL starters can get ready for the games that matter in practice too.

I would never risk a big portion of cap space in a meaningless game. I know that’s not a popular opinion with fans, but it makes the most sense the way the game is structured these days.
For backups its all about preseason action.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
you could post this truth 1000x and fans will still freak out if the starters dont play... I get it we all want to see the real product as soon as possible even if its just a glimps..

kskboys

Reaction score
They might be to some but I promise you being from one of those schools who are or who have been ranked being a state powerhouse it is a big deal. And it’s a big deal to those kids and coaching staff.
And preseason games are a huge deal for those trying to make the roster. And a huge deal to the coaching staff.

Sooooo, we agree, same thing.