Why so giddy about Thompson?

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
If JJ wasn't on the roster, I could understand the building excitement. But even if he makes the team, he doesn't stand to get a lot of carries. I'd rather trade him for a viable RT candidate.

dougonthebench

Cowboys Forever
Reaction score
I think he would be great as a KR/PR guy.we haven't seen someone that fast on special teams since Deion.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
bbgun said:
If JJ wasn't on the roster, I could understand the building excitement. But even if he makes the team, he doesn't stand to get a lot of carries. I'd rather trade him for a viable RT candidate.

Because teams carry more than 1 RB, we sure as heck do not want Jones to carry the ball 30 times a game so having RB who can step in to give a breather or to take over in case of injury is important. As for RT I'm sure Dallas will address this before the start of the season.

mullet

Reaction score
bbgun said:

The TT excitement is over the top.... just as is all the negative feelings over one preseason game.
TT looked fast in a straight line. but, not very fast. He looked a bit stiff, and doesn't look to be elusive.
I want him to make the team, and turn into a valuable player.
But, he will never be on Julius' level.

Mike 1967

Reaction score
bbgun said:

Two comments

First - I am excited because of his SPEED.

Second - Why can't I be excited about having both JJ and Thompson on the roster ?

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
bbgun said:
I think that having another good RB who can spell Julius and step in if (God Forbid) he were injured has got to be a good thing. Julius is such a good RB that having another talent on the team is not going to threaten him. IMO it is Always a good thing to find that you have yet another talented player on the team.

dougonthebench

Cowboys Forever
Reaction score
Mike 1967 said:
Two comments

First - I am excited because of his SPEED.

Second - Why can't I be excited about having both JJ and Thompson on the roster ?

no kidding!

Doomsday101

Reaction score
There is something wrong when people are complaining about a player having a good outing.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
mullet said:
The TT excitement is over the top.... just as is all the negative feelings over one preseason game.
TT looked fast in a straight line. but, not very fast. He looked a bit stiff, and doesn't look to be elusive.
I want him to make the team, and turn into a valuable player.
But, he will never be on Julius' level.
I agree. He does show some promise, but I think we're getting way ahead of ourselves on Thompson. Yes, he outran a bunch of third team guys to the corner... Let's see if he can run between the tackles, because he can't and won't outrun first teamers to the sideline every play.

Not to mention blitz pickups... Surely we haven't already forgotten ReShard Lee?

Bungarian

Butt Monkey
Reaction score
He can score every time he gets the ball. He will not start but why not be excited over a free agent pickup who my contribute.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
There is something wrong when people are complaining about a player having a good outing.

I'm not ragging on him. I'm questioning the reaction to him.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
bbgun said:
I'm not ragging on him. I'm questioning the reaction to him.

because the guy played a good game why shouldn't fans be happy for a young man who had a good game? In a game that had few highlights Thompson gave the team a spark.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You know the good thing about all of this.....is the idea that our RB depth is so that although we may lose a decent RB, the ones that make the team will have earned it instead of being some players we just have to have to fill a roster spot.

RB depth...when was the last time we had good depth Smith/Walker Smith/Warren?

dougonthebench

Cowboys Forever
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
You know the good thing about all of this.....is the idea that our RB depth is so that although we may lose a decent RB, the ones that make the team will have earned it instead of being some players we just have to have to fill a roster spot.

RB depth...when was the last time we had good depth Smith/Walker Smith/Warren?

:hammer:

smashmouth

Benched
Reaction score
No one was talking about moving JJ out and putting Thompson in. If you have Emmitt and Marshall Faulk on one team, how can that hurt you? That means that when it's time to pick up a 1st or a 2nd, you have the personell to do it. If you need to trade for a great QB or whatever, a 2nd RB who is as good or almost as good as our starter could be a good weapon for a trade.

Not to mention if JJ goes down with an injury. Barber and A-Train look ordinary thus far, that doesn't mean it won't change. TT looks to have some special qualities (SPEED AND NOT JUST SPEED BUT LOTS OF IT). BP had a split backfield in the game when TT was knocking off 10 and 15 yard carries. Can you imagine what Defenses would do if the split backfield were JJ & TT?

Asklesko

Reaction score
He looked good, but it is only preseason and third string defense.